[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo /v/. Help me out here. I'm in the market for a good 3ds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: etrian-odyssey-3-arte-014.jpg (142 KB, 1012x1024) Image search: [Google]
etrian-odyssey-3-arte-014.jpg
142 KB, 1012x1024
Yo /v/. Help me out here. I'm in the market for a good 3ds rpg and I want something lengthy to sink my teeth into. Currently i'm torn between 4 titles ;

Eterian odyssey IV Legend of the titan
Etrian odyssey Millenium child
Shin megami tensei IV

Etrian odyssey millenium child is the latest Etrian odyssey game but it's a remake of the original I already bought like six or seven years ago. And Shin megami tensei IV would be perfect except I hear that the story is pretty bad compared to the other games. And that mostly the general atmosphere just isn't there.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these 3 titles and put forward a recommendation and why?

Thanks a ton in advance.
>>
>>255139461
EO4
>>
>>255139461
those are all pretty good games. I don't think you can go wrong with ether of them.

If you've already played 1, cross off millennium girl.

SMTIV isn't really awful. The story isn't as good as strange journey, but it isn't bad. It's only faults are being too easy and having to complete all sidequests for the neutral ending.
Other than that, SMTIV is pretty top notch.

EOIV is great too. Though it might be a bit disheartening that the dungeons aren't one giant labyrinth but rather small dungeons that you have to travel a overworld for
>>
File: 1405887513659.jpg (101 KB, 500x689) Image search: [Google]
1405887513659.jpg
101 KB, 500x689
SMT 4 is a lot better

>better battle system
>complex and deep story that is told through the environment just as much as dialogue
>better environment
>more content
>not lol it's an loli rpg!!!!
>>
I enjoyed Soul Hackers more than SMT IV tbh and EO games even more than both of those. I'd suggest EOIV.
>>
>>255139873
>>255140771

Etrian odyssey IV has small dungeons? Huh. Must be annoying with overlapping difficulties then?
>>
Right. Last prod for more opinions. If no one is willing to give me more opinions i'll be going for EO IV, though hearing it's no longer a big labyrinth kind of dissapoints me.
>>
I had the most fun with EO4 OP.

>>255139873
Imo separate dungeons was way better than one big one where you can just teleport to any floor stair you like. Overall floor design was better too.
>>
EO4
Or emulate EO3 on PC
>>
>>255141286
I'd say the dungeons in EOIV are probably bigger. Neither game is one huge dungeon like EO.

EOIV also has a much more enjoyable overworld in my opinion, as well as better looking graphics overall.
>>
File: 1399158257462.jpg (2 MB, 2035x1205) Image search: [Google]
1399158257462.jpg
2 MB, 2035x1205
>>255139461
EO2 and 3 are a bit better then 4. Millenium Child is just a remake of EO1 with some added stuff. The whole series is good but Id start with the DS games if I where you
>>
I've always wondered this - Do the Shin Megami Tensei games have a schedule you need to attend to like the Persona games?

That's really the only reason I wan't able to stomach them. If I wanted to tediously schedule shit, I wouldn't be playing a videogame.
>>
>>255142414
>Millenium Child is just a remake of EO1 with some added stuff
And a lot of changed stuff.
>>
>>255142761
No
>>
>>255139461
Monsta hunta 3u
>>
I think SMTIV is half off on eshop right now.
>>
>>255139461
Etrian Odyssey one is better of not being played at all due to having The Millennium Girl, which is more or less a direct remake of it.

Etrian Odyssey 2 is probably the hardest one out. Has no difficulty options and a very long regular and post-game. Unlike the unbalanced first game, a lot of classes are very usable, and almost any combination (so long as you obey common sense and generally git gud) of classes can work. Just don't be too bummed if you get anally violated by regular enemies. But a good rule of thumb is, if you can beat even a single FOE in this game, you have the potential to beat the entire game.

Etrian Odyssey 3 started the whole Smaller=Better trend, but it starts off rather light. Instead of 5 floors per strata, it's 4 floors per strata. The game also plays a much heavier role in story, giving you the ability to choose paths about 50% through the game. Secret classes are cool, the secret 6th stratum betrays the rest of the game by being 5 floors instead of 4 and is difficult, and comfy and horrifying at the same time, and exploring the ocean early on as well as late in the game can be both fun and lucrative. The music in 3 is arguably the best in the series.

Etrian Odyssey 4, the first game to include Difficulties, made the mistake of not actually including a hard mode. All of the stratums are no longer interconnected, and instead are found individually through exploration. This is in my opinion the game's strong suit, as exploring the winds is incredibly addictive, and once you find everything you might find yourself strangely sad.

Continuing.
>>
>>255145384

>EO2
> a lot of classes are very usable, and almost any combination

Landshark says hi
>>
>>255145384
>>255139461
Etrian Odyssey 4 Continued, The difficulty of this game varies from enemies that simply cannot kill you to bosses that seriously can, and will in a turn or two of mucked up strategy. The difficulty counts when it needs to, like the post game or bosses, but it turns out to feel like difficulty spikes that would prey on less experienced players. The secret final bosses are all beyond opinion the easiest in the series, as the dragons and even the final boss himself are easily taken down with just minimal preparation.

Etrian Odyssey Untold is a perfect machination of difficulties, allowing more casual players and masochists alike to indulge in an RPG dungeon crawler. Some find the story mode to be a little iffy, as Etrian Odyssey as a series has always prided itself on being more about imagination and exploration than anything else, though you are not required to actually play the story mode. Though playing the story mode gives you a better sense of the world surrounding Etria, the Great Trees, the history of the world before your time, and even allows you to save once unsavable NPCs, giving the story mode a great spot in my heart. Unlike 3 and 4, there is little to no out-of-strata exploration, as the entire game is condensed into the underground world beneath Etria. With 3 difficulties, picnic, normal, and hard, all adequately explaining their colors, you can find that a simple flick of the switch completely changes the way the game is played.

I recommend starting with 4 or Untold, and playing on the higher difficulties, and only going down once you are sure the game is kicking your ass to get a good appreciation for the game.
>>
>>255145869
>A lot of

Landshark is pain.

Landshark is suffering.
>>
Aren't they all on sale on the eShop?

Why not both
>>
>>255140029
>wan piss
So SMT 4 confirmed for utter shit, then?
>>
>>255139461

You may wanna see if any of those are on sale. I know that Gamestop has SMT4 on sale for $20 not long ago.
>>
>out of all EO4 artwork op posts ugly brown
>>
>>255146321
You talking shit about my Boobfu?
>>
EO3 Princess is the best Etrian
>>
>>255146059

There's also absolutely no reason to use an Alchemist or Survivalist(outside having a party of them for gathering)
>>
>>255146509
I do not disagree
>>
EO IV

The remake of the first one is tightens up the gameplay a little but adds a really bland anime story that you can disable by playing in classic mode
>>
File: you're kidding right.png (249 KB, 743x476) Image search: [Google]
you're kidding right.png
249 KB, 743x476
>>255140029
>SMT 4
>>better battle system
>>
>>255146587
My team was
Protector-Landshark-Dark Hunter
Alchemist-Medic/War Magus

I find that Landshark, although not as strong or fast as a Ronin, has a good bulk which makes them good to place next to a Protector to soak aoe damage, and their Silencer along with the Protector's Smite is a good combo for the Dark Hunter's bind attacks.

Alchemists are just there to blow shit up. Eschaton is broken and can lead to on-level turn 1 kills of the first boss.

Though Alchemists do suffer heavily from TP starvation, it can be alleviated by going slow and not blowing your load too fast.
>>
>>255141913
There was a reason for it being one dungeon with a lot of floors.
>>
>>255147146
That said, I kind of agree with him.

The whole floor jumping thing, although IMMENSELY useful, was the most casual thing I've ever fucking seen.
>>
>>255147312

Why does it matter since you've already cleared the floor? It's not like shortcuts that lead you from stair case to stair case haven't existed before.
>>
>>255139461
EOIV is fun, but it doesn't have the same feeling as the previous games. They took the sea from EOIII and turned it into EOIV's world to give a bigger sense of exploration.

All in all, it's really fun and my favorite part is that each dungeon (like a strata) has a different environment, but in EOIV the atmosphere of each dungeon makes sense because it changes based on the area you're in.

Atmosphere: 9/10
Classes: DRIIIIIVE BLAAAAADE/10
Skill progression: 6/10
Burst system: 9/10
Shops actually telling you which materials they need to make their items: 10/10
>>
>>255148282
They have, and they still do, but they don't really even need to exist anymore. You can already teleport from floor 29 to floor 8 to get to a pool of water without returning to town and teleport all the way back down to floor 29 without resetting your burst.

With the ability to teleport to your safe havens, there is literally almost no reason to carry around Warp Wires anymore, or go back to town to do anything other than sell items and get quests. Once you reach floor 8, you can potentially stay in the labyrinth for the entire game. Never needing to use the Inn for anything other than reviving your party members who shouldn't be dead in the first place.
>>
>>255148398
>Using Imperials
>Ever

Scrub/10
>>
>>255148513

>Warp Wires anymore
You still need them to get out of the floor you're exploring. It's happened to me multiple time, I need to get out and then I forgot the warp wire because I thought I could floor jump out when I couldn't yet

>or go back to town to do anything other than sell items and get quests
There's other stuff to do? At least resting at the inn let's you save simultaneously

>party members who shouldn't be dead in the first place
Lol what. Play on expert you casul.
>>
>>255139461
>sink my teeth into

Fuck off, furfag.
>>
>>255149272
Man, I've played and destroyed every Etrian Odyssey until I got my hands on Untold, I started on hard.

The only times I've ever died was in Stratum 6, and the Stratum 5 boss. There is literally no excuse to die anywhere else in the game if you had played any other Etrian Odyssey.

If you're dying in Stratum 1, 2, or 3, you're doing something wrong. And the only time you should ever lose a party member in 4 is if they get stoned, or if you're in Iwaropenelep's room and you get surrounded by brutes.

I stand by my previous statement. The teleporting floors make you invincible with the exceptions of actively exploring floors, or dying.
>>
>>255139461

Shin Megami Tensei.

EO is shit in general, though I guess Millennium Child is slightly less bad than average because it has a story.
>>
>>255150330
>Needing a story
>EO is shit

Child pls go
>>
>>255150452

>g-g-games d-don't n-need st-stories! A-all they n-need is a sh-shitty combat system and eternal g-grinding!
>>
SMT is trash.
>>
I've recently started playing EO3 by emulating it with the HD mode thing.

Anyway I just noticed that there are common skills
Are they any good? I've heard that the first level is good since it gives the most
>>
File: 1360634727073.jpg (32 KB, 430x280) Image search: [Google]
1360634727073.jpg
32 KB, 430x280
>>255150330

Persona 3/4>EO>SMT
>>
>>255151763
Me 2 Anon, this game is like the Dark souls version on the nds
>>
>>255152991
Etrian > Persona=SMT
>>
>>255139461
i got EO4 recently. great game imo.
>>
File: 247201-LadyBoners[1].jpg (104 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
247201-LadyBoners[1].jpg
104 KB, 620x350
>>
File: youplayaszelda.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
youplayaszelda.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
I'm in the exact same boat as OP, I really want to get it digital though as I hate dragging my 3ds cartridges along with me wherever I go, and it's still really expensive on there so I might wait a while...and while we're on the topic of 3DS JRPG's, is Bravely Default worth getting? I tried the demo ages ago and really liked it (even though it kicked my ass) the job system seemed awesome
>>
File: 1334361854913.jpg (37 KB, 452x603) Image search: [Google]
1334361854913.jpg
37 KB, 452x603
>>255156612
BD is great until you realize what you have to do to get the true ending
>>
>>255156612
It's a great template for a game, but it really, REALLY falls apart during the second half of the game, up until the final chapter. I got really jazzed by the demo, too, but after getting the full game, I found the only good parts to be just that – good, but not amazing. Hopefully they fix all these issues in Bravely Second.
>>
File: reactions 002.jpg (27 KB, 467x349) Image search: [Google]
reactions 002.jpg
27 KB, 467x349
>>255150330
>EO is shit in general, though I guess Millennium Child is slightly less bad than average because it has a story.
Holy shit what.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.