[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hackurai Famitsu News: "Sakurai Briefly Discusses Smash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: [RAUGHS].png (21 KB, 123x66) Image search: [Google]
[RAUGHS].png
21 KB, 123x66
and he's still holding his apologetic opinion on Melee again.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/03/23/sakurai-briefly-discusses-smash-as-an-esport/

Q:
>Interviewer: "Recently, Smash has risen in popularity as an eSport. What do you think of the fact that Melee is as popular as Smash 4?" (Male, Kyoto)

A:
>Sakurai: "First off, it makes me very happy. They’re both games I made, after all. And I’m also surprised. Because it means that the players really understood the concept behind that game correctly. The one where skills gaps become very apparent, the one that’s highly competitive is Melee. But I want to avoid a design where stronger players utterly dominate weaker ones. We should make it so that new players can have fun as well. I’ve touched upon this idea in previous columns."
>"If you want to enjoy the strategy or competitiveness in playing against another person, then maybe normal fighting games are more suited for you. Virtua Fighter 2 had flashy, showy attacks, but it doesn’t appear at overseas tournaments, I wonder if that’s because of a cultural difference?"
>>
>>331767245
>then maybe normal fighting games are more suited for you.
or just play Melee
OR just stick with competitive-oriented mods like 20XXTE, Balanced Brawl, SD Remix, and PM

fighting games will never come close to the deep levels of a popular character action that is Melee.
>>
>>331767245
> But I want to avoid a design where stronger players utterly dominate weaker ones.
This shit never works and it never will, Hackurai's such a retard, he's got his head too far up his arse if he believes he'll ever achieve this
>>
File: Melee.png (1 MB, 1200x840) Image search: [Google]
Melee.png
1 MB, 1200x840
>>331767245
>Because it means that the players really understood the concept behind that game correctly.
>The one where skills gaps become very apparent, the one that’s highly competitive is Melee.

>b-but sm4sh is more competitive!
>m-muh fox memes!
>wavedash is a glitch!
>muh w-wonderful accident meme!
haha, literally the only good thing about this article

Hackurai's still fuck retarded on his "smash for the newblood players". they only play Smash for the fuck retard roster so they can have fanfics about Mario marrying Cloud.

just slap Melee on the gameplay and nothing much would change on people playing newer smashes
>>
>>331767245
I thought items, smash ball, FFA and hazard stages were supposed to be the equalizer for new/bad players not the game mechanics themselves. Smash 4 removed edgehogging and added edgesnapping yes but I believe that was because of 8 player smash
>>
>>331767245
>Because it means that the players really understood the concept behind that game correctly.

So wavedash and others some exploits were meant to be used?
>>
>>331767245
Not a serious fighting game: No longer a meme
>>
>>331769675
sakurai literally said back he knew players were going to discover wavedash mechanic in melee
>>
>>331768956
>>b-but sm4sh is more competitive!
no one ever said that. What is actually said is that it's more balanced
>>m-muh fox memes!
Done by Melee players more often
>>wavedash is a glitch!
Said by Melee players more often
>>muh w-wonderful accident meme!
stop trying.
>>
File: 1257928093120.jpg (37 KB, 1052x800) Image search: [Google]
1257928093120.jpg
37 KB, 1052x800
>>331767860
>Melee is deeper than not just Smash 4, but real fighting games like Street Fighter
>>
>>331769074
>I thought items, smash ball, FFA and hazard stages were supposed to be the equalizer for new/bad players not the game mechanics themselves.
That is exactly what he meant, you know.
>>
>>331769973
foolish ginger-haired superdemon
>>
>>331769675
Sakurai's already said those things were in there unintentionally, left in if noticed because they didn't think it'd make that much of a difference.

They underestimated the power of FGC autism.
>>
>>331770097
>Sakurai's already said those things were in there
>unintentionally
what?
http://smashboards.com/threads/dispute-ended-new-sakurai-intervew-wavedashing-was-intentional.162416/
>Nintendo Power: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ablility to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?

>Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"
We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.
>>
>2016
>Still believes in LET MUH CASUALS HAVE FUNNNNN garbage
>Doesn't see that some shitty Melee players became better BECAUSE of the skill gap he's so scared of

I understand it if he doesn't want Smash games after Melee to be competitive. It was his design idea to make it that way, and they DO need to sell to as many casual retards as possible. I'm not arguing with that, they are a business and need to make money.

What IS retarded is that he believes he can get rid of the skill gaps in Smash. It will literally never happen. A casual player will NEVER beat a good player regardless of character choice. Skill gaps exist in fucking EVERYTHING, that's why people try to improve and get good at stuff they enjoy. He's being an idiot because he's getting into that old Japanese man mentality despite looking like a teenager. Stubborn as fuck, goddamn.
>>
>I want to avoid a design where stronger players utterly dominate weaker ones.
trash literally designed to not be competitive
>>
You can never make a game (where players are presented on equal footing i.e. without a handicap system) in which good players do not beat bad ones unless you take control out of the players' hands entirely. No amount of ridiculously overpowered items and bullshit stage hazards will make a bad player win consistently. Damn if Sakurai doesn't fucking try though.
>>
>>331770435
Can you read? Serious question.

>left in if unnoticed
That interview is as in-depth as we got, and it's still dodgy. It's not like he or any of the devs crews ever went down the laundry list of exploits and cancels.

And from your post
>It wasn't a big priority or anything
>>
>>331770525
Missing the point, the gap is fill back with the Smash ball and stage hazard and items. That's what he is talking about.

He has never said he wanted to get rid of the skill gap. Fuck, the last series of patches clearly show he at least care for Balancing.

Not to mention, the For Glory option, as well as making the controller adapter for the GC. He care about the skilled players.
>>
Sakurai will never understand that good players existing doesn't "scare off" casual players. It's like saying ordinary people don't play basketball because they can't compete against an NBA team.
>>
>>331770435
>>331770836
And at this point, it's irrelevant. Those things only make any kind of significant difference when you play a one-on-one match in a fucking FFA game. Which is ignorant on the face of it.
>>
>>331768263
He achieved it faggot.

I was recently at a Tournament and I beat our nations best player with Bayonetta.
>>
Hope the next time he make smash he

>Does a dual engine
>You can pick which smash style you want!
>64, melee, brawl, 4

This has to happen eventually because the i think the mechanic changes are now at an end, this is the only option to not keep smash stale.
>>
Sakurai here

first of all, to all faggots who think that I didn't knew about Wavedash, Dash Cancel Up Smash and all tje other shit you discovered. I knew all of it.

Faggots I know things you guys still have not discovered.

Have you ever heard of Trump Cancel 1 Frame hit Smash ?

No You haven't and you will never know how to do it.

Also I play better than all of you.

I can play Smash with two controllers
>>
>>331771432
Are you retarded?

Just play the 64, melee or whatever if you want
>>
>>331767245
>sakurai literally admitting sm4sh is for casuals and melee is for skilled players
Why do people play sm4sh again?
>>
>>331771212
I'm sure the best player in Latvia would get bodied by an American FOr Glory whorechild
>>
>>331771784
Play the game for its original purpose.
>>
>>331768956
I didn't know it until now, but female wireframe is my fetish
>>
>>331771679
>not wanting to play as all the newcomers with a superior game engine
>>
>>331771679
What the fuck is your problem, there was nothing retarded about what I said.

He can finally give players that "freedom of choice" he's always wanted. Go fuck yourself for insulting me with your baseless bullshit.

And i play em all.
>>
>>331769973
>Melee fags get into IRL fight
>WTF WHY CANT I JEDI CHANGE MY JUMP TRAJECTORY TO AVOID JUMPING INTO A PUNCH SENT TO MY FACE THIS IS NOT DEEP UNLIKE MY SMASH FUCK YOU HAKURAI 0/10 WOULD NOT SIGN UP FOR AT APEX
>>
>>331767245
>>331770525
His whole idea of fighting or losing to a more skilled player not being fun is bullshit to begin with.
But I guess Japanese players or Sakurai in general is just a sore loser with no ambition left in him.

Why play a game that requires no skill and just decides the match at random?

Having depth in games will never make things worse, neither for casuals nor for pro gamers, but having nothing to achieve in a game will just have it leave an unpleasant aftertaste in your mouth while you go and seek out another challenge
>>
>>331770846
Honestly, I think this is solvable for all parties.

Increase the knockback to avoid infinites completely and makes kills easier instead of relying on easy-to-gimp Smashes which results in a more intense battle for the veteran crowd, and a more straightforward and white-knuckle game for the mass crowd.
Severely reduce endlag to make these exploits unnecessary for the veteran crowd and to make the game's controls "more responsive" to the mass crowd.
>>
>>331769903
>What is actually said is that it's more balanced
2bqh this wasn't true until 1.1.5
>>
>>331767245
>Virtua Fighter 2 had flashy, showy attacks, but it doesn’t appear at overseas tournaments, I wonder if that’s because of a cultural difference?"
He's almost right honestly.
>>
>>331772715
Most of them are too afraid of KOF, let alone VF. Americans will play only either Smash, Mahvel, MK, or SF. And the sad fact is their favorite SF is FADC Fighter Bore, there's just no hope for real fighting games to thrive.
>>
>>331767245
NOT A SERIOUS FIGHTING GAME
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.