[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DS shizzle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: DS PC.jpg (66 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
DS PC.jpg
66 KB, 512x288
So I'm about to start pic related. I've never played a Souls game before. Anything I need to know to not get my ass handed to me right at the beginning?
I also heard the port is shit so I got DSfix, anything else I need?
>>
Get the mouse fix if you plan on playing with KB+M. If you don't it's finicky as hell.

>Don't level resistance
>The class you pick at the start doesn't matter and any special thing they start with can be found somewhere in the world
>If you're in a graveyard full of skelemen you went the wrong way
>If you're fighting ghosts you went the wrong way
>Don't level any skill past 40
>Remember to always level when you can
>If you die you drop your current souls, if you die twice those souls are gone forever.
>If the game is getting too hard use a "humanity" and reverse hollow at a bonfire, after that look for someone to summon
>>
>>331753034
DSFIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and take the master key as a gift
>>331753317
sums it up pretty well
>>
>>331753317
One more thing:

>If you don't know what to level, put a point into vitality or endurance, these raise your HP and stamina respectively
>>
>>331753317
All right, thanks. I'll be using a gamepad.
>>
File: 20160317183357_1.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
20160317183357_1.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
take advantage of everything the game gives you, read every item descriptions, exhaust all dialogues with NPCs, put in effort into exploring everything, git gud.
>>331753441
and DSFix. i got it to work on my computer by disabling anti aliasing in game.
>>
File: 20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg (328 KB, 746x746) Image search: [Google]
20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg
328 KB, 746x746
Godspeed, OP
>>
>>331753317
>>Don't level any skill past 40

Why? Im been playing the game for the past week and Im level 67

Did I fuck up or something?
>>
What SL does everyone stop leveling at to still be summoned and still invade?

I heard 60 but I fucked up and got to 72 before I realised no one was summoning me.
>>
>>331753034

Fellow newfag here. I just recently discovered this because I am retarded.

>you can block massive attacks, you don't always have to dodge them

I wasted so much time on the gargoyles because I didn't know you could fucking block their attacks and the fire.
>>
>>331754149
Depends on the area. Also, get DSCM.
>>
>>331753034
All you need is common sense and a slow and methodical playstyle
>>
Can I change my character model once I started the game?
>>
Another new DS player here. Was curious about something.

I hear people say that using magic makes the game easier and somehow cheapens some encounters. I like playing magic users in most games, and the DS magic system seems pretty cool. How true is the magic = easy mode thought? I think fireballs are neat but I don't want to cheese every encounter.
>>
>>331753034
>take everything slow, check every corner, at parts where you're supposed to leg it you will know
>when fighting a boss it is much better to hang back for the first 2-4mins just to see his moves/attacks, this way you're not surprised by a butt slam or an AoE spell
>If you're having trouble with a boss, use a humanity then a bonfire to reverse hollow, this allows you to summon other players/characters (via their sign on the ground) to help you BUT this also allows other people to invade your world
>starting class doesn't matter, deprived is my favourite since it's the most versatile
>rolling is incredibly important, more so than using a shield which brings me to my next point, don't weigh yourself down with heavy armour/weapons because this will slow your movement, attacks and stamina recovery
>make sure you speak to npcs until they repeat the same thing over and over, then later when you've progressed, go back and talk to them again, sometimes they give you items or tips
>>
>>331754095
Because after 40 the gains drop drastically

For example 1 point in strength might give you only 1 more damage after 40
>>
>>331753034
If you have multiple monitors, you will also need something to lock your cursor to one screen only.
>>
>>331754269
DSCM?

I was 72 at Seathe and stopped leveling due to not getting summoned, now I'm at Oolacile township and I've only been summoned once in 15 hours.
>>
>>331754665
The fact that the magic is so overpowered in Dark Souls alone makes it the easiest game in the series.

Its really easy. Its fun to use on a second character but goddamn is it boring on a first run when you just stand back and one shot bosses.
>>
>>331753034
For DSfix: Edit the ini-file and unlock the framerate, then set the fps cap to 30. It will make the game run much better, doesn't make sense but it works. You will still drop to 25 fps in some areas because it's a shit port.

You could also put the cap on 60 but it will cause glitches, like falling through the world.
>>
>>331754558
No.
Character model creation at the start is final. The only thing you can customise after that is armour, weapons and stats.
>>331754665
It really depends, some bosses are crazy fast and agile which makes it hard to get a spell in, some are easily cheesed with spells. Same goes with regular enemies. Some players are pretty pro with magic though but if you've never played it before then feel free to go magic, you'll still find it challenging since you don't know what you're in for.
>>
>>331754665
Magic circumvents many of the game's fighting mechanics. You don't worry as much about positioning, blocking and dodging, or timing your attacks as a spellcaster. Also, most of your opponents will have less magic defense than physical.
>>
The game never teaches you how to jump so I'll tell you. While running, tap the run button. Yeah it's pretty awkward.
>>
>>331754690
>>331755051

I see, well thanks. Im going into New Londo (after I got buttfuck by the ghost early game) How many of the cruse items should I bring? How long does the buff lingers?
>>
File: 1458187421069.jpg (197 KB, 1180x842) Image search: [Google]
1458187421069.jpg
197 KB, 1180x842
Anyone wanna gank in the woods?
Bored and need to grind souls for my flame
>>
You must beat every boss by yourself, if you summon help you are a failure and a weakling.
>>
>>331755374
>How many of the cruse items should I bring? How long does the buff lingers?

This is something you should learn yourself by playing the game.
>>
>>331755374
Transient Curse lasts 5 minutes, which is enough time to run through the entire area if you know where to go. A few are lying around, they're a common drop from enemies, and there's a merchant who sells them.
>>
>>331753317
>Remember to always level when you can

I wouldn't recommend this if you plan on playing multiplayer.
>>
>>331755374
I think you start with 2 Transient curse items and may occasionally get some as a drop from the ghosts themselves, also later on there's an npc down there that sells them for 1000(?) souls each.

I would suggest taking in 4-6. They last about 5 minutes each.

I popped a transient curse then aggroed as many ghosts as I could, backtracked and then attacked them all together, so I could explore a little without having to worry about staying cursed. Be careful though since they can move through walls/floors which makes it difficult to hit them.
>>
>>331755595
>>331755695
you guys should write for gamefaqs
>>
>>331755463
Ornstein and Smough are the exception to that rule.
>>
>>331755807
no
>>
I am playing Dark Souls on steam for the first time, and haven't been able to be summoned or find a single sign, what gives?
>>
>>331755595
>>331755695
>>331755538

Alright, last question that is been bugging me since the star of the game: Why a human soul doesnt count as humanity? Wouldnt your souls be the thing that makes you human?
>>
Just finished playing through DaS for the first time, and it was pretty easy

Is the black knight greatsword as fuck, or has the difficulty of this series been way overblown?
>>
>>331755897
you must be human
>>
>>331755996
Soul and humanity are different things
>>
>>331755897
Are you hollow?
Yes: Equip a humanity in your usable items slot, then use it, go to a bonfire and select the 'reverse hollowing' option. You will become human (which is the only way you can summon others) and signs should appear near a boss (people tend to put them in front of a fog gate), sometimes you might have to wait a few minutes but if you're a level between 1-60 then there should always be some signs around

No: I don't know.
>>
Is multiplayer an essential aspect of this game? I don't have xbox live at the moment so I'm playing offline. I don't really mind playing through by myself, but am I missing out on too much?
>>
>>331756005
the difficulty varies depending on your character build and equipment
>>
>>331755996
They're different.
I can't really explain it since even I don't know all the details to the story/lore but reading up or watching some videos should help clarify.
>>
>>331756184
>essential

nope
>>
>>331756184
no. Multiplayer doesn't add anything else than easier boss encounters and shitty invading (PvP), in which you'll get rekt by PvPers either way.
>>
>>331754095

Dont level any specific skill past 40 was the meaning (i.e. dex or strength over 40)
>>
>>331756184
No, you can play through the whole game by yourself and still get everything, multiplayer is just there for shits and gigs or for some help.

I played solo up until a certain boss in Anor Londo.
>>
>>331753034
Just uninstall the game.
The input lag is horrible and will get you killed more often than your inexperience. Know that artificial difficulty is not a meme.
>>
is this shit still alive in PC?

i finished the game now i want to pvp/co-op
>>
>>331753034
rats drop humanity
>>
>>331756249
Any recs for a fun second playthrough build that's harder? I don't want to do NG+ unless there's a good reason for it
>>
Completed the game about 7-8 times and have done pretty much everything in it (except for the Knights Honor achievement, because fuck that).

Just recently I started a co-op playthrough. Would reccomend. It's much more fun, even if it's easier.

Then again, pretty much every game is better experienced with a friend.
>>
>>331753857
>i got it to work on my computer by disabling anti aliasing in game.
That's part of the instructions that come with the files though, you should always do that for Dsfix.
>>
>>331756780
NG+ is too easy. 10x Easier than the first playthrough up till Seath.

I've played:
reg claymore str/dex build
Full sorcery
full dex naked 2-hand
full str greatclub heavy set
dual weild rapier dex
dex/faith naked
str pyro

Great clubs are by no doubt the most fun to play with. I killed Gwyn in 3 hits. Full sorcery isn't viable without summons, and dex&faith is hard as fuck.
>>
>>331755897
Did you activate the thing on the beta tab? When they patched out GFWL you had to start using steam build 2.0.
>>
>>331753317
>spoiling the best parts of the game
>>
>>331755645
Why not
>>
>>331757224
does that split the community?
Is there more players using steam build 2.0?
>>
>>331757470
Everyone should
>>
>>331753034
>>331753441
don't get master key on yuor first playthrough
>>
>>331757470
I think it's use was to make the game use Steamworks, I think you can't connect to other players if you don't use the 2.0 (unless you're specifically using the connection mod thing to easily play with friends which requires you to use the vanilla).
>>
>>331756780
make a dex build and keep weight below 25% for fast rolls
>>
>>331757380
Because of the restrictions put in place by soul level. Each area has a range you should aim to stay within.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.