[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Survival horror thread! >Favourite survival horror game/franchise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Foto+Forbidden+Siren+2[1].jpg (46 KB, 640x452) Image search: [Google]
Foto+Forbidden+Siren+2[1].jpg
46 KB, 640x452
Survival horror thread!

>Favourite survival horror game/franchise?
>Is there hope for the genre?
>Best moments in survival horror games?
>Weirdest or coolest thing in survival horror game? (I like the part in Siren where you watched your character who was blind through the dogs eyes)
>>
>>331682349
Fapping to this
>>
Silent Hill 2 > Silent Hill 4 > Silent Hill 3 > Silent Hill 1
Silent Hill 4 is the scariest Silent Hill game, but the second half ruins it so Silent Hill 2 is better overall
Fatal Frame 2 and 3 and Siren: Blood Curse are the best of the series and almost on par with Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil were never good in their horror aspect, and the fun was far more in the survival aspect
Penumbra and Amnesia are pretty great too, if you consider them Survival Horror games
The first Five Nights at Freddies was actually pretty brilliant and is a good example of a great modern horror game (although, again, it may not count as a survival horror game)
F.E.A.R. is not even close to being the scariest horror game, but it's easily the funnest to play
>>
>>331682765
>Silent Hill 2 > Silent Hill 4 > Silent Hill 3 > Silent Hill 1
I think they all have good qualities but I think the first one is the scariest and second one is best overall. I never got the fascination with 3 - it's ok, but nothing really that amazing. I hated 4 for a while, but I'm giving it another chance now and I'm enjoying it. I like the room moments when stuff is happening around you, idea of it is nice... but I hate the fucking large enemy count and annoying ghosts/flying creatures everywhere.

>Silent Hill 4 is the scariest Silent Hill game, but the second half ruins it so Silent Hill 2 is better overall
Why is it the scariest? I find it as scary as the rest.

>Fatal Frame 2 and 3 and Siren: Blood Curse are the best of the series and almost on par with Silent Hill 2
I have Siren Blood Curse but damn it's clunky, even for a survival horror game. I should try it again though. Was never a big fan of Siren series and how it handles things (missions structure, throws you right out of the horror/game). It does have some very cool ideas like in OP post tho.

>Resident Evil were never good in their horror aspect, and the fun was far more in the survival aspect
It's more campy fun. But I think REmake is pretty scary at first, when you have to explore the whole mansion and you dont know where it's safe.

>Penumbra and Amnesia are pretty great too, if you consider them Survival Horror games
Amnesia is very shitty in my opinion, a lot of bad stuff and false praise. Penumbra does everything better and it's pretty good.

>The first Five Nights at Freddies was actually pretty brilliant and is a good example of a great modern horror game (although, again, it may not count as a survival horror game)
I agree, it had a very fascinating idea and while I never played it I liked the concept. Now it's just cancer though.

>F.E.A.R. is not even close to being the scariest horror game, but it's easily the funnest to play
Fear isn't scary at all, but yep, it's amazing.
>>
Blood Curse doesn't get enough praise.
Nostalgiafag elitists don't like it, it's too niche for normies.

I think it's easy the best true survival horror of last gen. My only gripe is how firearms work, but I just stopped shooting after a few rounds.
>>
>>331685597
Blood curse is shit honestly, but I can see what they were trying to achieve and can respect that.
>>
>>331685597
Both Blood Curse and Downpour are underrated. Yes, I said it. Downpour is not a good SH game since it completely misses the point of them, but it's a decent horror game. And they're pretty much the only real "AAA" survival horror games.

Dead Space is in my opinion amazing (first two at least) but not as much survival as I would've liked. Would be cool to see Dead Space with more survival focus (maybe you play as a survivor of Ishimura when the outbreak happens) and static camera.
>>
>>331682765
IMO, 3>2>4=1.
4 is too goofy for me. I was freaked out by those two headed baby things, but that's about it. 3 consistently got to me and made me stop playing for a few stints.

I could never get into Fatal Frame, that shit was the original jumpscare factory.

I can agree with that, RE was always more about item conservation, at least in the titles that didn't have a Mr.X or Nemesis.

I can't be doing with games that don't give you any ability to defend yourself with Amnesia.

FNaF1 would have been considered a masterpiece...15 years ago. I wish the creator didn't milk it to death like he did, it was a cool concept and I genuinely find the animatronic concept creepy.
It was well done except for the shitty failstate animations when they jumped at you.

FEAR is an FPS.
>>
How does Siren emulate?
>>
>>331685975
>it's shit tbhfamlol
Ok.
>>331686227
I can appreciate that Downpour at least tried to be its own game unlike Homecoming which just stole the aesthetic from the movie, but I hate it.

The enemies were silly looking, the plot made absolutely no sense and the moment to moment was a snorefest.
Graphically, or at least in terms of character models it continued Homecoming's tradition of looking worse than the PS2 titles.

Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite games of all time but I don't really consider it a horror game. Most of the horror comes from sound design, other than that you are a space marine fixing the plumbing.
>>
>>331686650
pretty good even on my potato laptop
>>
File: re2_remake_announce.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
re2_remake_announce.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
Reminder that we're getting RE2 remake, in case anybody has forgotten. They said it's a remake from the ground up, let's see what happens. We might see this at e3.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
I nominate this for Worst Attempt at a Horror Game award.
Also for Iterative Silent Hill Clone award and Indieshit Mediocre Art award.
>>
all the franchises I like have already been mentioned
I guess I could add Hellnight for the PSX to the pile
wish the 3rd person horror genre wasn't dead

oh well
>>
>>331686650
Siren 1 good. Siren 2, not so good (lots of graphical artefacts and progress is stopped sometimes due to the fact you cant see what youre doing).

>>331686701
It is a horror game.

>>331686978
It's terrible. Check this if you want to see something similar but done better: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359580

>>331687016
Hellnight?

>>331686942
It's going to suck.
>>
>>331686942
Has there been any word since WE DO IT?
Seems like such a soft announcement from Capcom with no groundswell whatsoever.

RE2 is considered by many to be the best (behind REmake for me) and we haven't seen hide nor hair of it.
>>
>>331686978
is that Lone Survivor? Haven't played, why did it suck?
>>
Just dropping in to say that, if you haven't played the Chzo series that Yahtzee made back before he was a shitter - get on that shit. Surprisingly good little games.

>>331682765
Are you me?
>>
File: Hellnight_Pal (2).jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Hellnight_Pal (2).jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>331687081
yeah, it's first person though, with no combat
>>
>Favourite survival horror game/franchise?
Silent Hill 1-4. RE 1,2,3 and REmake are fine too.

>Is there hope for the genre?
Nope. RE4 killed traditional big horror by making more action and shitty over-the-shoulder camera popular.
Smaller and indie horror was killed by Amnesia wannabes. So you either get shitty action/stealth like Evil Within or walking simulators with no proper gameplay/puzzles.

>Best moments in survival horror games?
Entering new location for the first time and immersing yourself in the new environment.

>Weirdest or coolest thing in survival horror game?
Probably entire Haunting Ground.
>>
>>331686701
Don't know why you green text other than trying to see if you could get an annoyed response. Good try though, the combat could've been gimped a bit and the maps made bigger. The bug shibito was a kinda silly take but they still look cool.
>>
>>331687625
I'm making fun of the fact that you boil down a conversation to "it's shit m8".
That's more bait than what I did.

IIRC the insectoid mutations didn't start with BC, but they weren't as blatant as BC.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMsbp7oeDA

Anyone else seen this?

It's a spiritual sequel to Clock Tower and the monster designer of SH1-3 is also working on it. It's releasing in a week.
>>
File: ZkpNW.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ZkpNW.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>tfw the souls series are the best horror games in years
Well, Demon's, Dark 1, and BB. 2 was more of a straight up ARPG but the others had an eerie feel.
>>
>>331687130
They just started development Dec last year. Normally if it's a remaster we should've gotten a trailer about now, it could be a real remake with the new engine they showcased years back.

They handled the remakes of past games really well while still captivating the atmosphere, & all, I'm kinda hyped about it.
>>
I'm wondering if maybe an indie production could be made in the vein of old school surv horror. Fixed camera angles, low graphics, tank controls, the works. Would there be enough sales in it, and would it be possible without the art and sound resources the old games had, but a indie studio would lack?
>>
>>331688135
this project is still alive? I thought they made an android game or something?

>monster designer of SH 1-3
well consider me hyped
thanks for the heads up anon
>>
File: Thescissorwalker[1].png (702 KB, 847x1356) Image search: [Google]
Thescissorwalker[1].png
702 KB, 847x1356
>>331688135
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.