[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gameplay and storywise how would've you written MGS5? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Big boss transforms evil.jpg (82 KB, 1080x538) Image search: [Google]
Big boss transforms evil.jpg
82 KB, 1080x538
Gameplay and storywise how would've you written MGS5?

I keep re-watching the Elegia and Nuclear trailer. I was so dead set on watching "Big Boss" go insane and batshit evil but...
>>
>>330966720
I just wanted to see how he met Naomi and Grey Fox and all that.
Wouldn't have minded seeing Kojima broach the subject of child soldiers a with a bit more force than he did as well.

I can't really remember what I thought the game was going to be about before it came out, which is unfortunate because I want those thoughts and feelings back.

I think maybe just having Big Boss globe trot around participating in various wars and witnessing (partaking in?) all sorts of human atrocities would have been enough of a send off for me. End the series with some grit. Instead he seemed to just dance around the topics he presented.

He had the whole theme of proxy armies fighting wars on behalf of higher powers to further their goals at the expense of the countries affected by the war. He never really showed that though! There were no civilians anywhere, they didn't even put in battles between conflicting powers in the game! MGS4 did this better! Why make MGSV if you're only going to do it worse? I mean, for fuck's sake Hideo.
>>
>>330966720
>I was so dead set on watching "Big Boss" go insane and batshit evil but...

it was pretty obvious from the get go that was not Big Boss. "from Fox two phantoms were born"
>>
I still don't understand how people look at what Big Boss knowingly allowed to happen to Venom and think we didn't get his corruption. The only difference is that you play as the result rather than the cause.
>>
>>330966720
Remove that stupid horn. Venom doesn't even do evil shit and Skullface still calls him a demon with a growing horn.
>>
>>330966720
Assuming I didn't have any extra time or budget, I'm not sure I would've changed much of the main storyline, just how it was presented and how certain resources were used.

Maybe make the game a straightforward 10-20 hour story like the past games, all in locked off places of the two maps, like how the story missions have designated mission areas, but with no option to access the open world until after the twist comes. The story is through, and now you're left with the choice to gather resources to build your legacy for Outer Heaven.

I'd have kept the twist, but turned it so that the player would be distanced from Big Boss as opposed to being literally given his legacy. Maybe have the game start out with the shitty hook replacement for Venom's lost arm, taking away the ability to grab enemies or use primary weapons, and only give him the mechanical arm after you capture the bionics expert. Fulton and DD would only come after Africa. At around the point of Skullface's death, Mother Base starts breaking apart, and player choice is compromised. You get less and less resources, and less space for new recruits, forcing you to kick the original Diamond Dogs members out. Eventually, fulton would cease to work and you would only be allowed to use lethal weapons. Limit the player's options and force him to resent the characters, or the situation.

I'd have rewritten a few parts to better use all that was built for the game. Do something interesting with the Mammal Pod AI, have Snake break down or doubt himself and look to her for guidance. Use the child soldiers for something, make it so they can die, count their numbers in Diamond Dogs and allow them to get infected. Which is to say, keep the parasites, but maybe add a slight nod to the advancing technology for their targeting of certain languages. Make Quiet entirely inhuman, have her be dirty and violent and unreasonable, with no care for falling in love or sacrificing herself or anything else.
>>
>>330969487
also, keep the concept of information control and the idea of taking away men's faces and tongues. Make the parasites so dangerous and mutated that communication is impossible, and show that the symbol of big boss and the notion of a nation without borders is more important than the actual man and the actual army.
>>
File: 1457512592434.jpg (775 KB, 1534x1304) Image search: [Google]
1457512592434.jpg
775 KB, 1534x1304
>Start the game off with Venom certain in the knowledge hat Big Boss sold him out as a scapegoat for his own crimes
>Decides to own his fate by surpassing Big Boss in every single way
>Missions involve warring against Big Boss across various mission areas, putting holes in his vast network built by the Patriots
>Fight Ocelot and other Foxhound Members
>Venom's rebellion prompts Big Boss to send Solid Snake to assassinate him, and that's the final mission

There I just fixed the entire game and made the 'Revenge" theme relevant.
>>
File: 1444465236140.png (1 MB, 913x1071) Image search: [Google]
1444465236140.png
1 MB, 913x1071
>>330969884

What about Skullface or Chico or Paz for that matter? Let alone Huey and Kaz
>>
>>330969884
As far as gameplay goes it'd mostly be the same except with a series of GZ styled missions and minimized importance on Mother Base
>>
>>330969884
Fuck. This is a better idea for a last game than the trash we got. Now it makes me even more sad that all of that potential was wasted
>>
>>330970031
>Skullface
gone
>Chico and Paz
dead
>Huey
>Kaz
both can be recruited by Venom but get out of dodge once Solid Snake is sent, its whatever - the big picture is Venom's rise and fall.
>>
>>330966720
I wouldn't have. Or, if I were really put in that position, I'd follow Kojima's original suggestion:

>There probably will be a Metal Gear Solid 5, but it'll more than likely have a different world, characters, and story.

There's really nothing left that's interesting to explore. MGS4 filled gaps and answered questions to the point of self-obsession, and Peace Walker ends by giving us the Big Boss we know (more or less). We didn't need to see baby Naomi or baby Sniper Wolf or baby Liquid. No fucking remakes, either.

As far as gameplay goes I've always liked MG2, Ghost Babel, and MGS2 the best. I'd have made a completely different game, basically. If I had to adhere to MGSV's general game mechanics I'd start with some major rebalancing and ditch the open world in favor of 10 or so Camp Omega style areas. Maybe more if we had the time and money. I admire MGSV's ambitions but the game never really seemed interesting to me, even before we knew about its more egregious problems. I think MGSV was a total misfire.
>>
>>330969884
Big Boss sending Solid Snake to assassinate Venom would totally retcon everything about MG1, though, and would clash with MGS4's own account of Metal Gear 1. Not that retcons aren't par for the course by this point (MGSV as it stands has plenty of them anyway), just saying.

I think what you're suggesting would've resulted in a more driven story, though, at least.
>>
>>330966720
Something something cloning people and using them as spare parts. The fact that Miller/Snake commit no war crimes in the game and are instead war mongers with hearts of gold doesn't sit well with me.
>>
>>330968203
This is why everyone theorized about what was going on with "Big Boss's" identity. I think people just dismissed the idea as being too stupid and too obvious. I know I did.
>>
WHY WAS THE INTRO SO TERRIBLE

WHY ARE THE CUTSCENES SO AWFUL

I JUST WANT TO STEALTH

FUCKING LET ME PLAY THE GAME
>>
>>330973046
I thought at first it was Kojima commenting on modern video game design, but I'm not so sure. People may have complained that Ground Zeroes was too hard and that may have been why.

It is completely unacceptable that the intro is used for the final level.

That being said I still liked the intro more than a lot of the game.
>>
>>330973332
The intro was neat from a cinematic perspective. It was a pretty cool setting, it was very tense. But it's wasted on a glorified tutorial that's not much more involving than a QTE.
>>
>>330973419
>But it's wasted on a glorified tutorial that's not much more involving than a QTE

Yeah, I agree. It was incredibly disheartening for me when I first played it. Watching the footage of it back in 2013 when we first saw it I figured it'd be like that, but I hoped it wouldn't. I thought it was going to be a bit of a call back to MGS4's microwave corridor - beginning the way that ended (excluding the boss fight against ocelot) but I was wrong. The whole thing was like that up until the very last section of it which didn't last long.

When the "truth" version of it appeared I thought that it might be the "proper" version of the level that didn't hold your hand and gave you free reign over how you went about it.

I feel sad now.
>>
>>330974109
It was pretty disappointing. Sneaking through a hospital relatively helpless, dodging more dynamically moving enemies hunting for you (like a Caution phase) would've been great and an interesting change of setting from usual Metal Gear fare.
>>
>>330966720
Literally just write it as Big Boss setting up Outer Heaven and slowly losing his mind like it seemed we were getting. If Kojima didn't want to bother with a detailed story, he could have just had Big Boss out doing random missions with a few introspective character scenes in between them. I really don't understand how he screwed up this bad when he had the perfect set up for it.

And remove the waifushit, it's making fans even more cancerous.
>>
File: 0000.jpg (16 KB, 218x290) Image search: [Google]
0000.jpg
16 KB, 218x290
>>330966720
>how would've you written
>would've you
Jesus fucking Christ...
>>
>>330966720
Gameplay: Repeat Ground Zeroes style missions 6 times for about ~12 hours of straightforward play like other MGS games.

Story: Skullface is an illusion, there is no Venom. You are Big Boss and Skullface is your "phantom" alternate personality created by the helicopter crash. Ground Zeroes as we see it was a falsified memory, which is why we have scenes from Skullface's perspective while all of TPP is from Venom's. At the end, Big Boss destroys Skullface and confronts Zero.
>>
>>330966720
Silly OP. Big Boss literally did nothing wrong!
Also Zero did nothing wrong!
It was all Skull Faces fault, yes the villian just established in the last entry of the franchise is the one all at fault for all the games.

Didu Rike it?
>>
The gameplay in MGS V is top-tier shit.

It's just a third person Far Cry 2. Why people keep saying it's the best in the series for gameplay is utterly beyond me.

The story is barely there, it's floaty, unresolved and confusing; and introduces things and people who never before popped up in the series chronology... and it's a prequel, what the fuck Kojima? MGS V is the weakest most pathetic installment of the series.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.