[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT Describe your golden years of gaming before you became an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1445883919165.jpg (217 KB, 750x630) Image search: [Google]
1445883919165.jpg
217 KB, 750x630
ITT Describe your golden years of gaming before you became an adult

>Had this friend who introduced me to anime not long before puberty
>Would play Runescape with him every day after school
>Watching Death note naruto and bleach inbetween
>play some smash melee on the weekends
>later Oblivion and Battlefield 2142
>spend hundreds of hours in both

Amazing times
I grew out of anime a few years later but it feld good to be edgy
>>
>>330783574
Mom wanted a big house so we moved out of town to get this mansion (literally, it had a kitchen on the first and second floor).

Because of this it was more or less a treat to go rent a game. We'd go most fridays to grocery shop. I'd get to go to Blockbuster. I'd roam the SNES games, sometimes Nintendo.

The town we moved to was perfect small town suburbia. We lived a block from the main street so even though I was like 10 I could walk to the few shops we had. We'd rent a game and I'd walk to the pizza parlor and get a couple, have friends over and we'd game all friday then ride bikes to the park and play saturday.

Even after we moved away, things were great. I'd get a new game about once a month and sit in my room, window open and a box fan blowing on me. Drinking sodas and eating chips, listening to my radio on the 70s station. When we got AOL (it was 96, shut up) I'd stay up until 4 posting on the Sierra message board or screw around on The Realm or WON.

Even in college I remember clacking away on Guitar Hero, waiting for my gf to come over or my friends to get off work so we could hang out.

Honestly I loved growing up in the late 80s and 90s. There was a simplicity about NOT being in 24 hour contact or on the internet. I joke with my wife that growing up the way I did felt like Earthbound.
>>
>>330783574

Started with N64, late nights playing super smash

Ended with Halo 3 parties

The sweet spot was in high school linking up xboxes with 4vs4 multiplayer in Halo 2. Hot damn that was so much fun.

Never again have I experienced that kind of bromance and bonding over video games. Now I'm a lonely adult and I've moved away from all my buds ;_;
>>
>go to school
>play 2142 all day
Fuck yes
>>
ITT: Old people.
>>
>>330784903
more like people in their 20s

also mario kart 64 battle arena over at friends house that was the shit
>>
File: 1454985068864.png (373 KB, 587x621) Image search: [Google]
1454985068864.png
373 KB, 587x621
>>330784894
>>330783574
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4wEAO07hM
>>
>Nofriends
>discover vidya
>play vidya
>>
>had a sega genisus but was young and wanted to be outside more
Except when jurrasic park came out. Tranq gun with a turbo pad. Rex couldnt get close.

>Get to middle school. Suddenly get a ps1 and jrpgs
I could sit for hours just exploring, taking in the stories and plots. The days when the intro for FF8 was fucking stunning. When I cared about searching every secret place.

Now I can sit and maybe get 3 hours in a game before I have people calling me for shit, haveing to sleep for work, keeping up /fit/ because my body will go to shit quick if I dont keep up. Worrying about pursuing my career. Fucking girlfriend time quota shit.

I dont care if nobody else likes it, but I loved the old style jrpg combat turn style. XCOM was my recent splreg because I love tactics games, darkest dungeon had that combat style too.

I think I just like games i can sit, take my time and be comfy. Loved it with Silent hill too. Just fucking sit and relax. I cant play when everyones around and shits going on.
>>
Me and a group of buddies playing all kinds of WC3 custom maps.

In hindsight it really was amazing how many maps there were.

Great times.
>>
File: img-key01.jpg (271 KB, 600x798) Image search: [Google]
img-key01.jpg
271 KB, 600x798
>>330783574
(I'm 26) NES as a little kid. I remember that racing game on it I liked.
Then we got a SNES with pretty much all the best games from it (100~ total). Secret of Mana was my favorite game at the time.

Then when PS1 and N64 were a thing we got both (N64 first then PS1 half a year later or something). Shits were amazing. Zelda, Perfect Dark, Mario games, and once again a lot of PS1 games, all the Final Fantasy, etc. Lasted a long time. I was introduced to the C&C games through the PS1, too. Oh also I first played Pokémon Red/Blue on the N64 with the adaptator-thing through Pokémon Stadium, was great, especially with the x2 x4 speed modes. I had friends with whom I'd compete and stuff.

Got a PS2 in its golden age, once again got a bunch of games. Had the 3 Time Splitters games, best FPS ever made. One day I found a GBA with Advance Wars in the street, literally, one of the best days of my life as a young teen. From there I discovered many GBC/GBA games and could carry on playing the new Pokémon titles, was great.
Then later got a Gamecube so I could play Wind Waker, Smash Bros, etc. Was neat but I can't say the GC had that many games, though I didn't mind since I got the whole thing for cheap.

I don't remember exactly when but we also got a computer at some point which made me play a lot of strategy games like Age of Empires 2 or Star Wars GBCC.

... and that's it. I got a PS3 at some point, played it a few weeks and hated it. Sold it. Just wasn't for me. From that point to today, aside from WoW, SC2 and later on LoL that ate a few years of my life I only played retro games or stuff like Terraria, Isaac and Don't Starve.

>Describe your golden years of gaming
tl;dr : I would say SNES/N64-PS1 era, by far. Although WoW was a huge part of my life I don't regard it as completely positive experience.

I don't know why I typed all of this as no one will care but whatever.
>>
>>330783574
I have a group of friends and we all play halo 3 customs every Friday night.

It's not like we were kids playing CTR, Nightfire, Battlefront 2, and Red Faction until 6am but it's still good.
>>
File: 1395791339301.jpg (94 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
1395791339301.jpg
94 KB, 399x388
World of Warcraft
>you will never experience it again
>>
>>330786008
>Got it as a brithday gift when it finally came out
>Grandma had no idea what an mmo was, or that it was a computer game
>"Fuck it. I put about 600 hours into diablo 2. Maybe my computer can handel it"
>I had to make 3 different characters, because they would get stuck on the boat, taking so long to load anything the boat was already looping back

I was in darnassus for a good while before I got a decent computer (for the time)
>>
>>330786008
You will never get 40 people together again to farm MC,
of which half of them are drunk and the other half are kids.

Best was we had a bounty to try and get the main tank killed, if the healers kept him
up the whole raid they split the gold, otherwise the individual that got the kill got the pot.
>>
>>330783574
>borrowing 64mb ram stick off of a friend at a lan party so we could all play CS and Codename Eagle together.

Seriously fun fucking times, damn you internet you ruined LAN partnerships.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.