[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The M&L series is going to shit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
The M&L series is going to shit.
>>
How is paper jam?
>>
It'll figure itself back out, Paper Jam is a spin-off, not a big main-series entry, and the mechanics are as tight as ever.
If anything, Paper Jam is a sign of good things to come, since they were willing to get rid of some alternate world and just focus on a big overworld and standard battles, papercraft battles notwithstanding.
As soon as they're back on track with some new content, and maybe LESS Bowser and MORE new villains, it'll be alright.

Mario & Luigi is a series that, even at its low points, is still good, few series with five games under their belt can claim that.
>>
>>330695908
I highly dislike it. It's not too bad, but it's like they were snorting coke and slapped Paper Mario and designed it under the influence. >>330696109
You're right about the mechanics, and Bowser is completely all over the place. He is so embarrassing, he should've just stayed "Rookie".
>>
SSS > PJ > DT = BIS > PiT

>>330695908
Game world is weak from a non-gameplay perspective and some are triggered by the simple story and lack of OC's but the writing itself is still good and the gameplay's the best it's been in a long time.
>>
>>330695702
>The M&L series is going to shit.
>going
Nintendo should've killed Mario years and years ago. Maybe they wouldn't be known for only making shitty platformer rehashes then.
>>
File: M&L DT.jpg (281 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
M&L DT.jpg
281 KB, 1032x774
>>330695702
>You're right about the mechanics, and Bowser is completely all over the place. He is so embarrassing, he should've just stayed "Rookie".

What? Bowser has become more competent throughout the series if anything. He was an absolute joke in Superstar Saga and Partners in Time. Then in Bowser's Inside Story, he got more competent since he was one of the protagonists, and then the twist in Dream Team with him, was nice, and it still had a new villain with Antasma.

I do want more new stuff but Paper Jam was a crossover they played it safe with, cause they had trouble making a complex story with both universes in an interview, AlphaDream had.
>>
>waaaaa Bowser is the bad guy, why can't it be like Bowser's Inside Minigame and Puzzle Emporium
I don't give a shit about what deviantART garbage is shat out as the new villain of the week. I play Mario & Luigi to play as Mario and Luigi. Combat has been getting more fun, stories weren't groundbreaking to begin with, and they've always recycled the same environments but it was okay when the first game did it because they slapped a laugh at the front of the location's name.
>>
>>330695702
it's still good. The low point was the DS ones imo.
>>
File: famalamadingdong.png (2 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
famalamadingdong.png
2 KB, 200x200
This series was never good.
>>
>>330697378
I disagree
>>
File: CdcJaqKXIAAtaqu.jpg (370 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
CdcJaqKXIAAtaqu.jpg
370 KB, 1536x1024
Are enemies in dreamy mt pajamaja supposed to be doing a ton of damage.
I feel underleveled.
Or at least uncoordinated, I miss one thing and then I just take a bunch more damage on top of that.
>>
File: 1434656923314.jpg (100 KB, 840x970) Image search: [Google]
1434656923314.jpg
100 KB, 840x970
>>330695702
I haven't played Paper Jam but I refuse to fucking believe that it's somehow worse than Dream Team
>>
It already went to shit four games ago.
>>
>>330697515
how many battles are you skipping?
>>
>>330697549
Paper Jam fixes the tutorial problem from Dream Team, so in that respect it is better.

>>330697515
Enemies in Dream Team hit like trucks in general. The bosses starting from Big Massif and forward especially.
>>
>>330697217
>and they've always recycled the same environments but it was okay when the first game did it because they slapped a laugh at the front of the location's name.

What other Mario games had brewery and university levels?
>>
>>330697748
>Paper Jam fixes the tutorial problem from Dream Team, so in that respect it is better.
I disagree
>>
finally a dreamteam thread, i played the game a bit at released, got bored and picked it up recently. If the tutorials weren't so brutal i would start a new file, but i can't sit through all that so can anyone tell me what i have to do at the beach in the south? I am completely stuck and have no idea where to go or what to do.
>>
>>330697737
I'm trying to get all I can come across.
>>
I love this series and every installment is great but I would sooner kill myself than play the intro to one again.
>>
>>330697993
you have to sleep on the water beds and get dream eggs to expand luigis wet dream.
>>
>>330697935
>I disagree

How so? I like Dream Team but that game has a lot of mandatory tutorials due to there being so many mechanics, new and old they have to teach you. Paper Jam makes a majority of them skippable now, and you can even fast forward through scenes and text now in general.
>>
>>330697378
Agree. Anything Nintendo related is awful.
>>
>>330698006
If you are adequately leveled, practice your counterattacking and dodges. I did the Challenge Node with a Challenge Medal at level 55 in BiS, failed to dodge one Bowser attack, and just instantly died. So yeah, work on that
>>
File: Pissed off mario 3d.png (226 KB, 547x288) Image search: [Google]
Pissed off mario 3d.png
226 KB, 547x288
>>330695702
Mario is fucking pissed in Paper Jam
>>
>>330697549
>one, short mandatory tutorial
>no tutorial for basic overworld movement
>Bitchlow stuffs the rest in a manual if you want to view them
>attacks can be practiced during battle
>you're given multiple bros. items a few minutes in
>no gyro controls
>more time for character interactions and jokes since they aren't reminding you of some ridiculous plot
>really creative fights that strongly punish players who can't time dodges and counters
Paper Toads and some wonky papercraft controls are legit complaints, though.
>>
File: mario and luigi super star saga.gif (773 KB, 403x227) Image search: [Google]
mario and luigi super star saga.gif
773 KB, 403x227
Paper Jam was fun as fuck, just finished it

Yes, the story was meagre (although Bowser Jr. getting an actual personality along with the Koopalings was pretty cool), but the pace was high and the gameplay was really solid

I appreciate the originality of something like Dream Team, but holy fuck was that game a chore to get through at some points - PJ never felt that way
>>
>>330698212
The tutorials were bad early on but were a lot more tolerable as you progressed. I enjoyed DT more than PJ because of it's characters, atmosphere and over-world. I'd say the both games battle systems are on par with one another since they both do different things. I felt that DT had enough high points for me not to get bothered at the tutorials. Thats not to say I don't like PJ I think it's a great game and it's my third favourite in the series.
>>
>>330698718
>not posting the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc280eXODs8
>>
>>330698718
>I appreciate the originality of something like Dream Team, but holy fuck was that game a chore to get through at some points - PJ never felt that way

They both excell in their own things really.

>>330698743
Fair enough. I feel Paper Jam fixes the problems of Dream Team but in exchange, is weaker then the aspects that Dream Team did do better. It's kind of a weird trade off. Dream Team has the originality refined, whereas Paper Jam has the gameplay kinks more refined. It's more of what someone's going to value in the end.

The series as a whole is still going strong.
>>
>>330699064
Yeah, I don't know what it is with Nintendo right now and trying to clamp down on original Mario characters and all that, PJ did a great job with what it was given, but there's only so much you can do with generic Toads (Toadette gets to star, but she also already existed)

Seriously, it's telling that a new character in the game is a generic Paper Goomba with a crease
>>
>>330695702
At least AlphaDream actually listens to fans and learns from their mistakes.
>>
>>330699260
PJ focused on existing characters because it was a "crossover" and they wanted to focus on character interactions or something like that according to the dev interview.
>>
>>330699518
That's kind of weird though, because there's barely any character interaction except everyone and... themselves in paper form, which was essentially the same joke over and over. Not that it was bad or something, but you'd imagine they would have some Paper Mario series characters around doing shit
>>
>>330699438
It only took them 5 fucking games to do it

and it's ridiculous that they wouldn't have come up with the Dash Socks idea had it not been for Miyamoto. Playing through the entire game without that while having to press three different buttons just to get over one gap would have been retarded and I have no idea why it took someone outside the company to come up with that idea.
>>
>>330699260
>>330699518
here's the whole thing
http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-luigi-paper-jam-miiverse-miiting-lack-of-paper-luigi-and-original-characters-more/
>>330699438
eventually
>>
>>330699909
hey don't swear!
>>
>>330699909
>NEXT MARIO AND LUIGI BETTER HAVE WARIO AND WALUIGI
It's like those retards haven't noticed how shit the gameplay would be without the free X button.
>>
>>330700031
That's a pretty interesting read

I still think they kind of went overboard with the no original characters allowed thing, but hey

Funny to see everyone likes the Mount Brr music because it's a real standout
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.