[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't play WoW but I'm sort of into the lore. Explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: WoD-US-NormalBoxArt.jpg (475 KB, 1060x1500) Image search: [Google]
WoD-US-NormalBoxArt.jpg
475 KB, 1060x1500
I don't play WoW but I'm sort of into the lore.

Explain why people hate this expansion.
>>
Time travel is a cheap trope and kind of suggests they're out of ideas.

The invasion of Azeroth by the demons in Draynor was a solid piece of lore. They timetravelled the fuck out of it.
>>
>>330637993
You're paying full price, for the least amount of content in the history of WoW. Almost every area on the map is semi-worthless after you have collected the drops from the "rares".
>>
File: 1410744760740.png (532 KB, 428x700) Image search: [Google]
1410744760740.png
532 KB, 428x700
>>330638104
the demons still invade azeroth, that wasnt retconned

the events of draenor spawned an alternate azeroth that we (probably) wont be seeing or visiting

WoD's lore exists in a bubble, we traveled back in time to help an alternate timeline fight an alternate timeline's big bad, only to go back to our own timeline and leave them to deal with their own shit

it's been theorized WoD existed solely to bring back Gul'Dan, who escaped into our Azeroth to kickstart the events of Legion

i wouldnt put it past blizz
>>
>>330637993
It exists solely to establish Legion and to acquaint casual WoW players with classic lore figures so that they don't have to think at all when they inevitably see World of Warcraft: The Movie.

Also alternate universes and time travel on such a significant scale is just fucking inexcusable.
>>
File: 1433427782239.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1433427782239.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>330637993
>alternate past dimension just to milk post BC babbies
>btw none of this matters, it's just our excuse to start a demonic themed expansion in azeroth
>>
File: Void Lords.png (113 KB, 375x492) Image search: [Google]
Void Lords.png
113 KB, 375x492
>>330638893
>the events of draenor spawned an alternate azeroth that we (probably) wont be seeing or visiting
We're going to have WoW II set in AU Azeroth after the Void Lords consume one universe.
>>
>>330638893
What a complete load of garbage
>>
>>330637993
some of that ol "BULLSHIT"
>>
>>330638893
I remember watching a video awhile back of a plant boss attacking on a mountain outside of Stromwind. Is this part of the alt Azeroth?
>>
>>330638893
I don't really get it why we needed whole expansion to get Gul'dan back, since you could just ress him or something. And he's gonna die in second raid of Legion so what was the whole point anyway?
>>
>>330637993
I came back to the game months ago, after a bit of an absence towards the end of Mists.

Here's my biggest gripes:
>No real motivating factor in each zone.
I'm in Gorgrond because... other people went there or something?
In Wrath you were motivated by each zone in the story bringing you closer to a confrontation with the Lich King. In BC You had getting to Illidan to motivate you, WoD is just... the "big bad" feels kind of aetherial.
Which brings me to...
>Bad Characters
Yrel is important for seemingly no reason, most of the Warlords don't really seem to have any interaction with you (Alliance side at least) and its hard to even remember who the bad guy of the expansion was seeing as it seemed to rapidly shift between Grom, Gul'dan, Archimonde, and so on.

Seriously, the story is my biggest gripe (other than wearing the same exact armor in every zone, just recolored, WoD was terrible for that) only because the other stuff was just a bland and boring kind of bad.

If they redid things, maybe with a Warlord in each zone and you gradually learn more and more about them on a personal level, their place in the Iron Horde, so on, then I could be interested. If from the very start of the zone you learn "Okay I'm here to fight Blackhand/Doomhammer/Gul'dan/Whatever" then it would be a bit more tolerable.

As it stands the Garrison was poorly implemented and it just felt like a tedious routine to go through the zones, rather than "fun adventuring"
>>
>>330641078
>I don't really get it why we needed whole expansion to get Gul'dan back, since you could just ress him or something. And he's gonna die in second raid of Legion so what was the whole point anyway?

Their original plan was literally just Garrosh making a "Mongrel Horde" out of the starter zone NPC races.

Honestly they probably just rolled with the "Gul'dan is back" thing haphazardly.
>>
>>330638893
already existing slightly different parallel universe. Its mentioned Kairoz specifically selected it
>>330641078
They at one point said they were wanting to bring all the old characters back. They were toying with necromancy at first but didn't like it and resorted to time travel
>>
File: 1434023172340.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1434023172340.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>>330641389
>using necromancy on all those nostalgia characters would just be too dumb
>I know, let's use time travel and dimensional rifting instead!
>>
>>330637993
this expansion never happened.
>>
The most expensive expansion they have released
The expansion with the least amount of content they have release
the longest time between expansions
a total of one content patch before moving to the next expansion
>>
>>330643051
Varian really shoulda let Thrall kill Garrosh at the end of MoP. Absolutely none of this woulda happened.
>>
>>330638683
Do you still have to pay full price for it?
>>
>>330637993
Honestly? Because it doesn't effect or add to the lore in any way. It's literally just filler and nothing else. The only take away is Gul'dan is back so he can start the events of Legion.
>>
Supposedly they had a different course of events planned for WoD, theres a whole land mass to the south supposedly belonging to Ogres. Also Grom was supposed to be the end boss. Sub numbers DROPPED, and in case of emergency, bring Illidan back.
>>
When WoD launched you had like 8 months before HFC patch. Before this patch, there was literally 1 daily quest. You did it, got a small amount of a useless currency and that was you for the day. Nearly all max level content was follower missions, something you have virtually no input on outside of right clicking the best % to succeed.

"There's nothing to do" was a matter of fact for the first time.
>>
People don't just hate it because of lore issues, it's because of the lack of content in the actual game. By the time Legion comes out there will have been almost a full year without any new content being added whatsoever. There's just nothing to do.
>>
>>330643439
But you got selfies and Twitter integration. Isn't Blizzard generous.
>>
>>330644158
Draenor failed to deliver its promises, it touched everyone's favorite a.k.a WC3 and failed miserably due to many reasons.

Blizzard gambled with MoP to increase playerbase after Cata's failure and they realized that except furfags no one wants pandas, so they targeted now the nostalgia googled players, and those who already left WoW to come back, just remember the huge as fuck hype. Everything about WoD was shit, and especially Ashran and garrisons were the final low blow for most people, so they lost their trust in blizzard, and the subs dropped.

Now they try target TBCfags, but you can guess what's gonna happen. They'll go back, and after 2-3 monts the subs gonna drop again, because everyone will relaize Legion just pushes WoD's mistakes further.
>>
>>330644817

Ill be resubbing for it anyway.

It's £30 and no doubt I'll get a hundred+ hours out of it before I get bored if it is bad. That's decent value.
>>
>>330645036
thats what a lot of people do. Since I have no friends whatsoever in WoW anymore I'm not willing to pay that much for a glorified moba.
>>
someone should make a list of all the corruption storylines blizzard does
>>
File: 1392275304788.jpg (450 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1392275304788.jpg
450 KB, 707x1000
>>330637993
The real reason people dislike WoD is because of all the fucking cut content

Two entire regions were cut
>>
>>330645691
Isnt it still possible to fly to one of the cut zones?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.