[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your Thoughts on Nintendo: Gentleman's Discussion Table
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: gentlemans table 25.jpg (60 KB, 469x318) Image search: [Google]
gentlemans table 25.jpg
60 KB, 469x318
>>329539120
Continued from Last night, This will go on until today's Direct at 2PM EST.

Welcome to another Gentleman's table /v/. I am happy to say the PC discussion was a rousing success.

Todays's topic is the current state of Nintendo as a company, a business, and a market icon. Here at the table we discuss our thoughts and feelings at hand in a polite and courteous manner while being mindful of each others opinions, unlike the shitflinging firefights that erupt on a daily basis. No namecalling, no senseless finger pointing, and no brand loyalty.

That being said, My thoughts. Feel free to critisize, debate, and scrutinize as you see fit.

Discussion key points today are:

>History With Nintendo
>History with consoles outside of Nintendo
>Thoughts on the Wii-U
>Thoughts on the 3DS
>Thoughts on "Rehashing" and revival of old IPs
>Thoughts on New IPs
>Nintendo as a Company, The good and the Bad.
>Amiibos, Marketing, and Physical lockout with Paywalls.
>Today's Direct
>What the future holds for Nintendo customers.

Begin.
>>
>>329568141
Reposting. Feel free to critisize, debate, and scrutinize as you see fit.

Intro:
I've been a Nintendo fan as long as I can remember. I started in the days of the N64 after discovering Nintendo through Pokemon, and branched out into the other IPs, going backwards to play Mario, Zelda, and other games. Eventually I became engrossed with Nintendo and made it a point to go back and play all their IPs, Kirby, Metroid, Chibi robo, Fzero, Advance wars, Fire emblem, JP only titles like Panel de pon, Sin and punishment, Doshin the giant, Mother, and more. For the majority of my life, I stayed Nintendo centric, From N64-Wii, I never had any other consoles that were not nintendo.

Later Explorations: As 7th gen rolled by, I became more interested in vidya as a whole, My first branch was a 360, primarily for the long awaited "Sonic the hedgehog"(Big mistake.) But the 360 still allowed me to enjoy some interesting titles, Dead rising, Tales of Vesperia, Alan wake, etc. Beyond that I discovered I liked Namco/Capcom/Konami, and all of their greatest were on Sony consoles as multis, So I ended up getting a PS2, and then PS3. Then ventured further back into SEGA with Genesis, Dreamcast and Saturn. In doing so I found a myriad of titles I now enjoyed, Okami, Psychonauts, Sly cooper, R&C, Devil may cry, No more heroes, Resident evil, Tales of, Nier, and more. Needless to say, I branched out far from nintendo. I still love their IPS, but I needed a break.

The Wii-U:
At first I was excited. I got one at launch and had nothing to play but nintendoland for three months. To be frank, my Wii-U served its purpose more as an upgraded wii, To this day I still have 5 titles for it and nothing more. Do I believe it was a bad investment? IF not for the Wii B/C, yes. But because I can still use my 30+ wii titles, it sees proper useage. In terms of hardware,but it gets the job done, and the games I own have lasted long and been enjoyed, some of which still are.
>>
>>329568375
"Rehashes", The word of the day:
At first, I didn't buy the "rehash" term. Every game had its merits I thought, every game had unique levels and ideas, sure its not enough to always please the masses, but I couldn't call Pokemon a "rehash" when the mechanics and dexes changed every generation. ...And then I played NSMB2. I was baffled, The exact same assets, same music, not a shred of original idea in level planning. This, THIS was the "rehash" i had been hearing of. Deplorable, and just plain boring. I played from start to end, got all coins, and still felt empty. While NSMB has its multiple installments all based on SMB3, They at least had some new ideas each game. NSMB2 however.. egh. As for other series? Metroid, zelda, I don't see them as "rehashes" but some new content would be a fresh and welcome change.

New IPs/Old IPs:
I see people ranting and raving about it all the time. "Wheres our new Metroid?!" "Wheres our new Zelda?!" "Wheres Advance wars?!" "Wheres Golden Sun 3?!" I've come to conclusion that while I love these series, I think I'm done with them. Prolonging a series 20+ installments really kills it. Would I like a new metroid? Sure. But honestly I'd rather see brand new ideas and new IPs. Nintendo classics will always be that, Classics. Its not like you can't play what already exists.

Nintendo as a Company:
This gets tricky. I like nintendo, But I don't like their corporate decisions. Amiibo locked content, An oversaturation of DLC, and Mandatory paywalls? I'm an amiibo collector. But I don't find it fair that people should be locked like this just because they don't want the overpriced toy. On censorship, I honestly could care less myelf, but I understand people are bothered by it, so I'd rather see it overturned then left alone, if not for the people who actually enjopy the series' Limited stock and shipment, inability to meet demands, all of these things are slowly, but surely deterring people from Nintendo.
>>
>>329568491
Future:
The Nintendo NX. Not sure how I feel about it. Cautiously optomistic? I want it to be good, but given how Wii-U reception is, I'm not sure. We won't know until E3 so the suspense is that much harder. On the Horizon we have 2 major Wii-U games, and about 5 3DS games excluding third party. Will I stick with Nintendo? I'm honestly not sure. To be truthful, I feel like I'm leaning more to a PS4 then the NX right now, if nothing else jus to have something new. Heres to hoping eh?

In closing:
I am a nintendo fan. Always have been, and that won't change. But things up at Nintendo have GOT to change. If nothing is done the company may not lose profit and stagnate, but it will lose populace, and its own consumer base, and gain nothing but the mindless mobile phone crowds. I'd hate to see that happen, but I feel thats the road we're traveling if this persists. I personally have come to love all vidya, I don't like having a bias when every major production has somethibng of worth. I've come to enjoy works by Sony, Microsoft, Sega, Capcom, Namco and more. I'd just like to See nintendo up their game and actually do something for a change.

Addendum: Today's Direct.

What do I expect from today's Direct? I honestly do not know. But the prospect of getting any information out of the company is a relief either way. I personally hope for more Third party titles rather then first.
>>
>>329568141
The biggest problem I have with Nintendo is simply the region locking. To me, that is an unforgivable sin.
It's an arbitrary restriction on what games I play.
As a kiwifag, I had to wait two years to play Shin Megami Tensei IV, while a perfectly fine translation was already out in America. It was so pointless. It shouldn't fucking exist. Whoever wrote off on the idea of region locking both systems should be fired.

Until this cardinal sin is fixed, I will not say anything positive about Nintendo.
>>
Dude, /v/ is too ephemeral for this kind of long-form writing, by the time anyone reads it all and writes an equally thoughtful reply, the thread will be locked.
Oh well, here's a bump for you.
>>
>>329569010
No worries, anons arent expected to type long winding responses. Short bursts do as well, but the point needs to be set across first for people to debate back.

Discussion was pretty neat last night, we got a great turn out or things that need to be done/should be done.

The table isnt for just simple discussion of a brand or topic, its for full on analysis and debate, People who like, love, and hate the topic are all welcome, so we can disect and discuss the specific points that most people usually leave out and or try to cover.
>>
nintendo sucks at pricing
nintendo makes game that aren't worth price
nintendo never discounts their shit so i never buy

Seriously games like Pikmin 3 aren't worth $60. A lot of Nintendo games aren't worth such high price.
>>
File: 1439138384403.png (221 KB, 766x516) Image search: [Google]
1439138384403.png
221 KB, 766x516
>Typing a FUCKING Essay on Nintendo

Holy autism Batman!
>>
>>329569316
This. While I myself got Pikmin 3 with mario kart 8, it's shocking how Nintend rarely ever does sales, and even when they do it's usually not anything major. I refuse to buy Mario Maker for $60. Game should've been a discount title, $30-35 at most. That's why everyone wants to pirate: because Nintendo games almost never go on sale.

TLDR: Nintendo needs to do more sales and stop pricing games way over what they're worth.
>>
Amiibos need to fucking go. They're killing most Nintendo fans who don't want a fucking happy meal toy to go with their games.
>>
>>329570034
Personally I feel they should've just been kept as merchandise. Hardly anyone buys them for what they do in game.
>>
>>329570218
>Cut price to $5-$7
>Remove NFC chip
>Make "Paywall" Avialable on E-shop as DLC

Or.

>Keep Amiibo price and NFC chip.
>NFC unlocks content
>Content can be bough seperately without amiibo via E-shop

Its not that hard nintendo.
>>
>>329568750
took the words right out of my mouth
>>
>>329568750
Region lock is the dumbest thing that ever happened to Ninty. And not even over J games. I couldn't play Kyle hydes games for he longest because they were PAL only.
>>
>>329568375
>For the majority of my life, I stayed Nintendo centric, From N64-Wii, I never had any other consoles that were not nintendo.

So you are admitting to missing out on the vast majority of the great games released over the past 20 years.

Why do you think you belong on /v/ again?
>>
>>329572464
Read beyond the first paragraph and you would see that I love and own all major consoles and handhelds, as well as PC.
>>
>>329572550
You only had access to Nintendo games as a kid though, at an impressionable age which no doubt has caused you to become biased. I'm willing to bet that you actually consider the N64 and Gamecube to be better than the PS1/2 despite their relative lack of good games.
>>
>>329568141
1/2
>History With Nintendo
First system was an original Game Boy. Moved onto N64, bought a Gamecube on Day 1. By the time that generation was over, I had enough skepticism in Nintendo's business model that I decided to skip the Wii, and its generation altogether. One of my friends convinced me to get a 3DS to play Pokemon Black, and after that my Dad won a Wii U out of a customer appreciation giveaway and passed it on to me.

>History with consoles outside of Nintendo
Primarily PC, which I never used to a significant or habitual basis. I borrowed a PS2 from a friend to play some games, and bought a PS4 this past holiday season.

>Thoughts on the Wii-U
It's incredibly nichey. I've enjoyed the games I've played on it on the whole. I've loved the touch screen on the controller for some games, and found use for it on others. There are games I've played on my PS4 where I've wished they had a touch screen instead of the mouse pad button. On the whole though, I question whether it would or wouldn't be better as a controller add on moreso than part of the basic controller.

>Thoughts on the 3DS
Love it. It could be prettier, but I don't play portable games for graphics. Besides, compared to the Game Boy days, what I get out of it is gorgeous.

>Thoughts on "Rehashing" and revival of old IPs
It's tricky. If there is a compelling story to tell, wonderful gameplay to offer, or just a great overall experience they think fans will enjoy, rehash away. On the flip side though, being too different, or unfaithful to what makes an existing IP feel like itself or be beloved is a good way to come off like throwing what should be a new IP onto an existing IP chassis which is unfaithful to the existing IP and might come off like a cash grab. With that said, if there is an existing IP that no one has an idea for, there is nothing wrong with honoring it, and letting it rest either forever or until a new idea comes along that'd be faithful to it.
>>
>>329572652
I'm willing to bet that you actually consider the N64 and Gamecube to be better than the PS1/2

You would be right, and wrong at the same time.

In terms of gens, 5th Gen went to the Sega Saturn, neither PS or 64 in my book.

In 6th gen, its a tie between GC and PS2. GC ahd the better hardware, but PS2 had the more expansive library.

MY favorite games are Okami, Paper mario, Dark cloud 2, 999, and Sly Cooper. Make of that as you will.
>>
>>329572930
2/2
>Thoughts on New IPs
Kind of the opposite of my previous response. If there is an idea for something new, kick it out. If it is something that would would with and come off as faithful to an existing IP, from a business perspective, why not use that chassis? It'll already have an existing market base which would be good for Ninty. If it is too different however, make something new. Yes, you might get a Project STEAM, but you might also get another Splatoon. Nintendo needs to continue elevating, otherwise it will always be accused of being the unoriginal rehash factory that is riding on the coattails of those developers and creators who originated the IPs most associated with it.

>Nintendo as a Company, The good and the Bad.
This one is difficult. I love Ninty's devotion to simplicity, fun, accessibility for everyone, and on the whole lightheartedness. I also think it has been run with a stubbornness however that has for a time ignored and recently begun to alienate its fanbase. I think they habitually provide the more affordable, less powered, arguably to a fault unique consoles, that for three generations have pushed away third party developers that could bring them more console sales if they took their special butterfly designs from 9 down to about 6 or 7.

>Amiibos, Marketing, and Physical lockout with Paywalls.
I own 5 Amiibos. They are all I intend to own. I've yet to see some significant facet of a game locked out because I didn't have an Amiibo. Between conventional DLC where I have to pay for every bit of individual DLC for every game, I prefer the Ninty model of DLC for multiple games being behind the same locked doors, and the Amiibos being the keys I only need to purchase once, and can use again and again with no additional cost.

>Today's Direct
All Direct expectations have led to for me is disappointment for the past few years. Nothing Earth shattering.

>What the future holds for Nintendo customers.
Beside NX, and mobile, no idea.
>>
>>329572940
*And Castlevania III
>>
>>329568141
did i get b'ed?
>>
>>329573087
B'ed?
>>
>>329568141
Been with Nintendo since Christmas 1989 when I got my NES. Barely got the PS3 in 2011 when Gamestop gave the $100 voucher on it. Currently have PS4 and Vita as well.

I love the Wii U, the true current gen vg machine. Love the 3DS, but hate how damn expensive the N3DS is.

Nintendo should bring back old long forgotten franchises like Stunt Race FX; Tinstar and their few western series.

None gave a chances to STEAM and Devil's Third, but Splatoon did well.

I don't like they don't focus much on older players and they handicap themselves for tech.

Love the Amiibos but wish their DLC could be get via another way even if pay a bit more than the Amiibo cost.

Gonna take some time to watch the direct live, I can't believe the Bayonetta reveal has been almost 3 months ago and my boss and work have ruined both as he gives hell for loving videogames.

There may not be a future...
>>
>>329568491
>And then I played NSMB2. I was baffled, The exact same assets,

Correct.

same music,

Soundtrack have some new musics and they tried to change to main musics for a bit, but still correct.

>not a shred of original idea in level planning.
Incorrect. We need to reconsider that none of the levels design were alike or equal to previous NSMB games. If anything, some of the NSMB2's levels had an different idea to progress, like the ones you had to run forever.

THIS needs to stop. NSMB2, while some of the games's parts were rehashed, it did have some original ideas. Gold Flower, alternate paths to special worlds, Gold Rings, others things I don't remember, and especially, Coin Rush. Just because the assets and the soundtrack is the same, doesn't mean it's bad. The game offers the same experience, but with different content.

NSMB2 wasn't perfect or amazing, but neither bad or the worst. It's a solid good game. I would give it 7/10. I hate how just because NSMB2 had some rehashed parts, some idiots had to pass a bad image over the same game.

Also,

>An oversaturation of DLC
There's no Nintendo game that automatically has a hundred of DLCs that was even available before game's launch, unless if you say some of them. Mario Kart 8 and SSB4 only offered DLC after the game's launch, and the prices are not overpriced (except at SSB4's characters price).

>Mandatory paywalls
What?
>>
File: pit thinking.gif (24 KB, 235x247) Image search: [Google]
pit thinking.gif
24 KB, 235x247
>Wii U
To me it's a great console sufficent in power and enjoyable with its library of good games
It's sad to see it go out but it's expected by Nintendo

>Nintendos philosophy
To me, it seems that NoA is vastly different to NoJ, so much that they could be two different companies.
All the bad influx in term of marketing, next gen bullshit and twisted perception of their userbase, that has plagued Nintendo in recent years comes from NoA.
NoA wants Nintendo to be a competitor to the console wars in terms of popularity and sales.
But that's never been the companies goal.

>Region Locking
As bad of an issue as ever, and it's time to change it. This is the only thing I would use the word "backwards" for

>Future
I doubt Nintendo will return to its former glory but it's still the only company releasing quality games at a consistent rate.
It also has the most exclusives by far so I don't think I will leave them
>>
>>329572652
I only had access to Sega games a kid, yet I'm a Nintendo fan. That impressionable age stuff is nonsense when regarding videogames.
>>
>>329573791
The industrys gonna crash before that
>>
>>329574445
thats because Sega is dead. theres no reason for you to follow a corpse.
>>
>>329574561
So there are no longer Sega fans? None?
>>
>>329575382
not longterm, they're all sanic autists
>>
File: Fedora Kong.jpg (114 KB, 500x665) Image search: [Google]
Fedora Kong.jpg
114 KB, 500x665
Where my fellow gentlemen at?
>>
I bet the NX has shitty specs.
>>
>the Wii U was to the Wii what :
>the GCN was to N64
>the SNES was to NES
It would seem that were going to see an entirely new category of console from Nintendo this time around. N64 ushered in 3D games and Wii brought about motion controls, so what will the NX bring to the table? What's its "gimmick" going to be? Handheld/console hybrid like everyone thinks? Let's keep in mind that Nintendo usually cycles between handheld system and home console releases, so normally We'd be due a handheld given that the 3DS was released in 2011
>>
>>329578085
The 3DS has an install base of around 50-60 million. Even with the sales falling off a cliff, it still has a lot of people to sell games to. Wii U needs to be replaced more, but I'm skeptical that 2016 is the year to do it.

With the Wii U release schedule, though, it looks like they already made that call.
>>
I'm curious with the NX and what's gonna be shown at E3. I'm really hoping they decide not to do a region lock with it. And I'm in the same boat as you with SEGA, OP though I did get to play the Dreamcast when it was new, and I watched my godbrother play the Genesis nonstop. My problem isn't with Nintendo, but NoA. They're hindering the slow transition that Nintendo is starting to undergo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_XkKD50soQ
>>
I dislike the way Nintendo is going since the last 15 years and would've loved to see major core-gamer support for it.

They should go back to the basics and rethink what defined Nintendo in the past, as for example reliability, was it hard or sodtware.

Other than that, the New Zelda looks interesting and i am not sure if it will be good enough to count as system seller. People stated that about TP, bit i dodged that bullet ten years ago
>>
When is the next direct? In UK time? Looking forward to it!
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.