[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For a long time I've wanted to play through the entire Final
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
For a long time I've wanted to play through the entire Final Fantasy series in order, from 1 to 9.
What are the best versions of each game?
I'd rather stick mostly to the originals, but if a remake is objectively better I'll play that version.
Is it better to play the origins version of 1 and 2 or the NES/Famicom versions?
>>
PSP version of 1-2 are objectively best. But FF1 NES still has its charm and works fine.

FF2 had a somewhat broken system, fine if you know what you're getting into but I wouldn't recommend it. It works a bit like SaGa games but it's an ancient version of the system.

For 3 I still prefer the NES version, but that's just me. Not much into those 3D remakes.
>>
>>329260390
Thanks anon, I think I'll play FF1 NES first and then play the psp version of 2. What about 4 and 5? I heard something about the snes localization of 4 being shit, is that true?
>>
>>329260596
for 4 go for the psp version as well, it's the best version and close to the original with simply updated sprites, bonus content, and a proper translation -- unless you want the 3D remake

US snes version was based on an easytype version and lacks items/moves and bad translation, also much .. well easier. PSP FF4 (and even moreso the original SFC version) can actually be a decent challenge on max speed.

For 5 I never played the GBA version, but it's supposedly best for it, but needs a patch to fix crappy sound. Personally only did snes+translation, which was fine imo.
>>
>>329260949
Thanks man, looks like I'm set. I really appreciate the help.
>>
>>329261090
whatever you do, just don't bother with the PS1 versions

it just gives you loading times every battles and a few added FMVs you could watch on youtube
>>
>>329260118
just play 1-3 on NES
4-6 on SNES
7-9 on PSX

also don't forget mystic quest (SNES), FF Legends games (gameboy) and FFT (psx)
>>
iOS versions
>>
File: 1212.jpg (116 KB, 961x352) Image search: [Google]
1212.jpg
116 KB, 961x352
>>329260118
You need to play the PSP version of FF1.

It's just so far and away superior to the NES version, it's not even funny.

Better visuals, better soundtrack, better balance tweaking, more equipment options, a better translation and far more content than the NES original. It has something ridiculous like 15 more bosses and a fair few new areas.
>>
Not necissarily best versions, but every ff up to IX can be played on a psp.
>>
>>329261719
I'll play it after, I just want the original experience with the first game, I have a thing for rpgs on the NES
>>
>>329260596
>>329261090
DS is the best version of 4.

DS
>chibi 3D graphics
>decent voice acting
>best localization of any rendition of the game
>both enemies and party members got buffed tremendously, bosses are deadly and so are you
>revamped movesets for all characters, skills are actually useful and magic is much more useful in later levels
>augment system that let's you customize the characters' moveset with original skills and skills of characters who left the party both, completely optional if it's not your cup of tea
>additional story details, The After Years is based on this version
>unlimited inventory space, streamlined equipment system (ie you don't actually need to buy 40 arrows to use the attack command for bow users 40 times)
>no post-game, no character swap, but the main game is much more rewarding

PSP
>revamped 2D sprites, they have the RPG Maker vibes but are not iOS tier
>no VA
>uses the old, outdated script
>very easy game, bosses hyped up to be very powerful are absolutely laughable, many bosses have some sort of strategy (like, don't attack with magic when it's in this state) but the stats are so low the side-effects are minimal, just ignoring them and spamming attacks and magic is more effective. Ignoring these tactics in the DS version will get your ass fried
>3/4 of the character skills are plain useless, either have no impact whatsoever or are outclassed by regular attacks or the two skills that are actually useful
>not as buggy as the old versions but there are still quite a few
>retarded inventory space limitations, only 48 items total (counting equipment) which is a pain
>there is post-game, but it's just more attacks and magic spam fighting palette swaps of bosses
>the only truly nifty thing is being able to change party composition in the end-game, but since their moveset is useless it gives no incentive to play around with it
>>
>>329261719
personally still love original FF1 for that ancient feel

but I always get mad when the fucking last boss has default battle music
>>
>>329261864
DS
>status effects are binary (ie, you either have Protect or you don't) and very effective, a minority of status ailments effect bosses too. Very easy to see who is under effect of what thanks to the bottom screen and colors changing

PSP
>status effects are wothless because they need to be stacked up (something never mentioned in-game, nor the manual, and very hard to see mentioned online too), you have to keep using Protect on the same guy to see any difference (while the older "layers" start to wear off as soon as you see it). Negative ailments are always useless and it's impossible to see who is under what.

Examples of retarded skills:

Yang's Kick
>PSP - a low damage hit-everyone skill that does fixed damage of around the 40s (or scales very, VERY badly), already outdated by the time you get Yang
>DS - a high damage hit-everyone skill with lower multiplier the more enemies it hits (if there is only one target it's as strong as a regular attack), stays useful throughout the game

Yang's Focus
>PSP - a slightly stronger regular attack with a slightly stronger charge time, only useful in the GBA version because the menu are a lagging mess and using it makes you input less commands. Theorically useful for enemies with strong counters but, again LOLPSPDIFFICULTY
>DS - a self buff that can be stacked up to three times that makes the next skill do a fuckton more damage, wether it's a normal attack, a Kick (dem x3 Focus + Kick combos on multiple enemies) or any of the other augments you have equipped

Cecil's Darkness
>PSP - the same as Yang's Kick, only it also damages the user slightly
>DS - a self buff that makes attack two times as powerful for a while at the cost of a huge chunk of health every attack

Again, DS's version is fairly difficult, by using things such a x3 Focus + Darkness + Kick combo you're not cheesing your way through, you're playing right. And you will still probably die
>>
>>329261643
Mystic Quest is worth playing? Really? I know the music is fucking fantastic but the game looks horrible.
>>
>>329260118
PSP 1-4 (imo)

5-GBA

6-SNES/gameboy with sound patch

7-9 Original PSX or steam versions ( I Would reccomend the original verions but you can get a sound fix for 8, 7 is a good port and 9 will probably be so too since it hasnt come out yet I cant say for sure)

10- PS4 with the fix for the music and RNG, or simply go with the original/emulated for the ps2.

12- Emulator

13- fuck this game.

I know you've said 1-9 (which are the best imo) but its never too much info.
>>
File: image.png (226 KB, 1939x1111) Image search: [Google]
image.png
226 KB, 1939x1111
Don't.
>>
>>329262401
it's pretty fun. Fairly simple and easy but enjoyable.
>>
>>329262413
Why gba for 5? is there anything wrong with the SNES version with translation?
>>
>>329262401
It's seriously just Dragon Quest with 2 playable characters at a given time.

And last I checked, nobody (with a right to an opinion) ever bitched about Dragon Quest.
>>
>>329263036
Alright cool, the first Dragon Quest is my shit.
>>
>>329263016
GBA did have some extra content, but no there's nothing wrong with snes version -- you'll also get the best audio (even GBA with patch is kinda messy)

but most people didn't even play the snes version so they're not gonna recommend what they didn't even touch
>>
>>329262413
What about the DS versions?
>>
So here's my current list
FF1 (NES then PSP right after)
FF2 (PSP)
Final Fantasy Legend (GB)
FF3 (NES then DS at a later point)
Final Fantasy Legend 2 (GB)
FF4 (PSP)
Final Fantasy Legend 3 (GB)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
FF5 (SNES with translation)
FF6 (SNES)
FF7 (PS1)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
FF8 (PS1)
FF9 (PS1)

Everything look good?
>>
>>329263276
Ten posts above you you illiterate nigger
>>
>>329263586
>>329261864
>>329261939
>>
>>329263586
FFL1-3 aren't final fantasy btw, it's SaGa 1-3. There's some nicer-seeming version on DS with translation too, not that I've tried them yet. Kinda hard to bear gameboy games nowadays anyway

For Tactics PSP version is better if you patch it to fix the issues.
>>
>>329263758
Oh yeah I'll play the DS version of 4 later. The chibi graphics are kind of turning me off.
>>
>>329263758
pretty sure he stated he want to play the ones closer to the original versions

this puts 3D remakes out of the window

personally hate those too, can't stand them
>>
>>329262423
>Every FF is based on VII, except when it isn't.
I don't even see the point of that chart.
>>
>>329263586
>FF3 (NES then DS at a later point)
PSP or PC version is the same 3D remake on DS, just in better (especially without the retarded network features)
>>
>>329263891
The best thing about DS is the main game, PSP is the post-game. FFIV as a game is 92% main-game since it's basically devoid of sidequests.
I'd personally recommend playing the first time through with DS, then download a complete game save for PSP and do the post-game from there.
>>
>>329264120
I want to play a version closer to the original.
>>
>>329264120
imo PSP main game is still good

but it's important to see the battle speed to maximum, or else it's too easy

original SFC was especially hardcore with that, zeromus spamming big bang several times in a row before you can even cast one heal
>>
Might want to consider playing the updated PC versions of VII and IX (when it comes out).

Does anybody know if they ever fixed the music ad other problems on the Steam version of VIII? I find it weird that it has a "Very positive" rating and yet most of the user reviews are piss-poor.
>>
>>329260118

6 is the only one you should ABSOLUTELY still play the original of.

1-3 have several great ports and the originals are very archaic and buggy.

4 has the really great DS remake.

5 is up to preference, but the GBA translation is absolute gold and it doesn't take a huge hit in music quality like the GBA version of 6.

Goes without saying that you should stay away from all iOS/Steam ports.
>>
>>329264120
>>329264437
Alright, I'll play the DS version of 4. I have it sitting on my shelf anyway, thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>329264437
other than the graphics, the IOS/steam versions actually does everything else best though

but it's still hard to recommend them when they look that bad
>>
Seconding FF4 on the DS. The chibi graphics are a little obnoxious, but the gameplay and character customization are excellent, as well as being the most challenging version of the game.
I haven't played the NES version of 3, but the ds/psp/iso/android versions are all the same game, just with slightly nicer graphics each port.
I'd play 5 and 6 on the GBA, and GBA 6 has the Dragon's Den.
>>
>>329264437
I have VI gba with restoration patches, someone wants me to upload it?
>>
>>329264897
Yes please. I really wish they'd remake the game like they did with 3/4; the iOS version looks so disappointing.
>>
>>329264897
That'd be fantastic
>>
>>329265031
Bump the thread, I need a few mins
>>
>>329260118
The only thing that makes it hard to recommend the NES version of FF1 for me is the fact that some of the stats don't work properly (IE Intellect has no function which leaves spells pathetically weak lategame, special weapon properties like the Sun Sword and a few others aren't applied so things like the Giantslayer sword won't kill Giants any better than similar strength weapons). Also, the battles run pretty slow in FF1, it helped that I sped them up a little bit with fast forward in an emulator, but I can't imagine playing it on the original console again when turns can take 30-60 seconds to finish.

I do like the spells per day (Vancian) casting system, but I think it could've been improved by giving infinite charges to very low rank spells (Cantrips) after a certain level. This is somewhat compensated for by providing items that can cast spells when used in battle, so it's not that horrible.
>>
>>329265031
>>329265090
Uploading bump
>>
>>329264897
What all is in the patches? Just music?
>>
>>329260118

PSP / VITA version for 1 and 2, or emulate the GBA ones if you want speed (Which, for FFII is fucking vital).
>>
>>329260118
1: PS1
2: PSP
3: NES or DS is fine
4: PS1
5: SNES Translation
6: SNES is fine
7: Recent PC
8 and 9: Not sure...
>>
>>329266112
7,8,9 can just be emulated though
>>
>>329265889
Music ans graphics
https://mega.nz/#!SwhD1QbD!zsWTvdCun_ERhSdixCIu51MSTA9lYUwLrdCh9lh4QiM
>>
>>329266112
This seems like a good list but I'm worried about the load times in the ps1 version of 4, are they really bad?
>>
>>329266093
The GBA and PSP version of FF1 has bad balance issues
>>
>>329266237
there is 0 reasons to pay the PS1 versions, and I don't know why anyone would recommend them
>>
>>329266237
Aren't the load times just for FF6? Or did I get them mixed up?
>>
>>329266401
I recommended the ps1 version because it doesn't have the NOA translation.
>>
>>329266509
except there's better alternatives to avoid those translations
>>
File: 1446227064941.jpg (42 KB, 352x289) Image search: [Google]
1446227064941.jpg
42 KB, 352x289
>>329261719
left looks better
>>
How is the GBA version of 1 and 2?
>>
>>329266758
mostly same as PSP version, just an older outdated version that looks worse

unless you want to play it on an actual GBA, there's no reason not to use the PSP versions instead
>>
>>329266672
True, the translation of the Japanese version, but this list is assuming OP has access to the systems and want to do it with physical hardware, burned games, legitimate or whatever
>>
File: 1454500658932.png (304 KB, 722x768) Image search: [Google]
1454500658932.png
304 KB, 722x768
>>329260118
>final fantasy
>it's never the final fantasy
>>
>>329267032
Have you never heard the story behind that. my underage friend?
>>
>>329266758
GBA version of 2 is fine with gba audio you'll love or hate, the gba version of 1 though suffers balance issues that makes the game's original difficulty a moot point. All classes get buffed, MP instead of Charges per day.
>>
Is there a patch for the SNES version of 4 that fixes the localization? I like the music in the snes version the most
>>
I still consider the snes FF6 (aka FF3us) version to have the best translation, and be the best version also with no sound issues.

It may be inaccurate but it's definitely the most fun translation.

FF2us translation was just plain bad on the other hand, and had nothing going for it.
>>
>>329266758
All gba versions are censored with shit audio
>>
>>329267281
there's a translation for the non-easytype Japanese version, I played it and it's pretty good

at max speed it's also the hardest version (moreso than DS version)

I still prefer the PSP version though.
>>
>>329266205
you niggers could at least thank me
>>
>>329261643
Final Fantasy Legend games aren't Final Fantasy, they are the SaGa series.
>>
>>329260118
1: PSX no argument, it's a bugfixed version of the NES game with better visuals and audio.
2: PSP
3: NES, the DS remake sucks and fucked up almost everything.
4: The original SFC release with the fantranslation, the bad translation is worth putting up with because it's the only version of the game with a proper difficulty curve.
5: GBA
6: Brave New World hack.
7-9: PS1
>>
>>329267545
I really appreciate it anon, I didn't even notice you posted the link.
>>
File: question3.jpg (41 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
question3.jpg
41 KB, 374x374
>>329267175
>calls me underage
>I'm not underage
>>
>>329261719
>better balance tweaking
Fuck you, the GBA and PSP remakes ruined 1 by making anything but supporting with your spellcasters shit and useless and forced you to play in the PS1 version's easy mode.
>>
>>329267731
what's wrong with the PSP version of FF1 that you have to go and play the PS1 version with no argument?
>>
>>329267749
np. I got this from some anon in a years old thread where a lot of people complained that applying both the music AND graphic patches was a bitch, I don't know how the motherfucker did it but you should back it up somewhere just in case.
>>
>>329267916
see
>>329267858
>>
>>329267949
Alright damn, thanks for the heads up, I backed it up on google drive.
>>
>>329268017
I don't even remember using spellcasters much when I played it, recall I had 3 melee and buffing a little on the sides to do.. melee

and completed everything and it was pretty fun
>>
>>329267598
still worth a play
>>
>>329263937
I applauded SE for even bothering to remake it as a 3D game and doing something different. It still came off as something I didn't particularly enjoy, and it wasn't the chibi graphics because I found that the best thing about it.

>>329263586
Why would you include Legends? Not only are they mostly super buggy, but they are Saga games, as >>329263798 points out.
>>
>>329268467
Current list

FF1 (PSP)
FF2 (PSP)
FF3 (NES)
FF4 (DS)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
FF5 (SNES translation)
FF6 (SNES)
FF7 (PS1)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
FF8 (PS1)
FF9 (PS1)
>>
>>329263016
The SNES fantranslation is a shitty, boring literal translation that missed the tone of the game.
>>
Some things to keep in mind for FF2 since it's so different from other games.

>Despite the weapon/magic cap being 16, there's literally no reason for anything to ever go past 8; don't worry about grinding past that.
>Evasion and Agility are the most important stats. Always use heavy armor and put on a goddamn shield instead of trying to dual wield.
>While there's no traditional levels, enemies have a ranking stat and will give fewer stat boosts when you're considerably stronger than them.
>Berserk is your best friend.
>Ultima is a useless piece of shit despite the plot hyping it up.
>Don't even fucking bother trying to train up any of the 4th slot party members until Leon. Firion, Maria, and Guy should be able to handle everything on their own. Josef and Ricard are exceptions if you plan on playing Soul of Rebirth.
>>
File: goddammit it.jpg (55 KB, 308x212) Image search: [Google]
goddammit it.jpg
55 KB, 308x212
>>329268870
>Always use heavy armor

fuck i meant "always use light armor."
>>
>>329268870
>Ultima is a useless piece of shit despite the plot hyping it up.
It's actually not, by the time you get it in the main story it's going to be better than your other damage spells barring elemental weaknesses and when Minwu gets it in the postgame it's actually really good.

Not that that means much because spell damage is mediocre at best.
>>
>>329268593
looks good, I'd just swap PS1 tactics for PSP version + patch. The 1.3 patch can make things interesting especially, but it does make it differ from the original experience.

I'd go with PSP version of FF4 instead of DS still, but ah well guess that other anon convinced you.
>>
>>329268980
Too late.
>>
>>329269113
Noted. Tactics is a looong way away so I'll think about it more when I'm about to play it. Thanks for all the help.
>>
>>329260118
ff1 - nes...but gba remake is cool.
ff2 - gba remake
ff3 -never played it
ff4 5 and 6 -snes
ff 7 and 8 - pc (or ps1 is fine)
ff9 - ps1
>>
>>329261824
the chiptune music for nes 1 is puddi coo
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.