[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TL;DR: Persona thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 6086_front.jpg (113 KB, 640x647) Image search: [Google]
6086_front.jpg
113 KB, 640x647
I've been playing the first Persona lately, which is my first foray into the series. Some highly discouraged it, but I must start from the beginning of a series because I'm autistic or something. It wasn't as bad as some people said, I was actually quite pleased with the SEBEC route, for the first time in a long time the story in a video game interested me. And the music was great, I'm glad I went with the (Japanese) PSX version. I'd like to play the PSP version, but the music just doesn't seem to fit the tone, and apparently the music patch only restores a third of the music. Maybe it'll be ported again someday with an option for which soundtrack you'd like.

I know that the Snow Queen quest was the main draw for a lot of people when the PSP version came out. What was the general reception of it? It was alright and had some great music, I loved the Snow Queen's theme, but it was more annoying than anything to me. Well, mostly just Thanatos Tower and the Ice Palace. I want to say it's one of the worst dungeons I've ever been in, but then I've played Daggerfall, so I don't know.

Anyway, I was just hoping for a general Persona thread. Fans of 3+, how do you like the older games? Fans of the older games, how do you like 3+? Why does everyone shit on Persona 4?
>>
i really want to play persona 1 and 2 but just have a feeling im going to go in with negative thoughts since thats all ive read about over the years. persona 3 portable was my first persona game and it was a fantastic experience. right around the time i beat it, persona 4 golden was announced so i held off playing p4 until that came out. bought a vita just for it and ended up with 300+ hours in it, completely justifying the cost of a vita. i enjoy the series and am curious in the older ones but dont have it in me to just get up and start. i hate smt to and the old persona games are apparently similar to those.
>>
>>329111232
Why do you hate SMT? They're fairly similar to Persona
>>
>>329111232

I'm hoping I'm also able to enjoy Persona 3 and 4, I hear they're pretty different from the first three games. I'll give them an honest try though, looking forward to doing it. I figure if I like 3, I'll just buy P4G and a Vita since I'm wanting to get a Vita for a few other games anyway.

Next on the list though is Innocent Sin, PSP version since it sounds nicer than the PSX version and they don't mess with things too much aside from Hitler, the Nazis, and Swastikas, which are barely censored so I can put up with it I think.
>>
I played Eternal Punishment after blazing through IS and I'm honestly kind of sad it ended because it was just startting to get really good after those shitty undersea ruins then BAM you're unceremoniously dumped into the final dungeon. It's such an awful feeling because if it had been just a bit longer it could have been GOAT but now I just feel sort of empty (Since if I play the first Persona then I can tick another SMT game off my ever dwindling supply).

I guess all I can do is wait for the PSP fan-translation of Tatsuya's scenario. I hope it's long.
>>
>>329111821
its Done , i think

http://p2px-scenario.tumblr.com
>>
>>329111425
i tried nocturne since it seemed to be the standard smt representation. the gameplay was fun enough and i enjoyed the extra difficulty, but i hate everything else like the puzzles and dungeons. having to use a guide every time you want to advance past a dungeon and continue is just tedium for me. i prefer the straightforward designs of p3 and 4 instead.
>>
>>329111475
theyre very different and a lot easier to get into apparently. you can just get a vita tv for under 40 or so if you dont want the vita itself and enjoy p4g that way. if you do play persona 3 i reccomend the psp/vita version since it introduces a lot of upgraded mechanics and features that the original P4 had. less loading times, streamlined menus and equipment, a girl protagonist if you wanna do a ng+ playthrough. all youre missing is some bland 3d worlds and some shitty cutscenes. whatever was animated in the ps2 one is just written and accompanied by a fitting portrait.

so yeah a vita will land you persona 3 and 4, both very meaty games. its worth it if you want to continue the series, plus you can also buy both persona 2s on vita psn.
>>
>>329112379
Maybe try Digital Devil Saga? It's a good middleground between Persona and SMT in terms of difficulty.
>>
>>329112572
SMT isn't really hard to begin with.
>>
File: Mem Aleph.jpg (119 KB, 1000x995) Image search: [Google]
Mem Aleph.jpg
119 KB, 1000x995
>>329112624
>>
>>329112562

P3P would be nice for portability, but I don't like the sound of the non-dungeon crawling segments being turned into a VN. I might try that one later, but I figure I'll play FES first.
>>
>>329112572
are the dungeons just as confusing and boring as the ones in smt nocturne? thats the deal breaker for me. i dont mind different themes or harder battles but i cant play a game to completion relying on a guide.
>>
>>329112808
Confusing? No. They're much simpler. Boring? I don't really understand. I'd say they are more boring because they aren't as confusing and are generally just hallways with light gimmicks.

You'd certainly not need a guide, except for perhaps optional content.
>>
>>329112751
Playing FES first isn't so bad, go for it. Just think when assigning roles to other characters when in battle and you'll be good. Portable version is great for replay.
>>
>>329112651
Wow, a single boss in a franchise that's been around for decades. You sure showed me.
>>
>>329112379
nocturne is pretty awful level design wise. i remember playing through it was like pulling teeth compared to DDS and P3 as far as level design goes
>>
>>329112865
that doesnt sound to bad then, i will give 1 a try. how hallway are we talking? p3? 4? and these gimmicks dont include things that send you back to the start right?
>>
People who say persona 1 is undeniably bad are just memeing, yeah it's outdated but not as outdated to not let you play, it's fun and has a great story
>>
>>329110712
Loved P1, played it on ppsspp which helped negate the only problem I had with the game which was it being so fucking slow, I absolutely loved the soundtrack and highly enjoyed the sebec plot, snow queen was fucking shit and a waste of time. Here's hoping p2 is just as good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQcnanaCjEA

Let's keep it real
>>
File: 2345245.png (76 KB, 254x319) Image search: [Google]
2345245.png
76 KB, 254x319
>>329112651
FUCK THIS BITCH

i had to grind 10 fucking levels just to beat her

>>329113363
theres i think 1 teleporter maze in DDS2 and 1 pseudo-teleporter maze in DDS1, but both are very painless and take little time compared to nocturne. got through the most sloggish parts in about 15 - 20 mins w/o a guide with bvery little trial and error
>>
>>329113480
that is awesome to know, thanks my man. i never liked jrpgs really but i loved persona 3 and 4 but found smt to hard to get into. looking forward to dds, take care lad
>>
>>329113630
good luck m8. i think youll also enjoy it because you can mix and match skills as you unlock them which lets you be a lot more flexible with your team comp.
>>
File: 1456324021249.jpg (157 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1456324021249.jpg
157 KB, 1000x500
i just beat DDS2

what the hell was that ending
>>
File: image.png (433 KB, 360x408) Image search: [Google]
image.png
433 KB, 360x408
>there will never be a persona 3 golden

This truly pisses me off, i dont want to play it on a big screen and not be able to control my party

But I dont want to play the butchered psp version

Is there a way just to emulate p3 fes for the vita?
>>
>>329113451

I don't dislike the songs in the PSP version because I think they're bad songs, they're fine, and some are really nice. I watched a video of the fight against the Night Queen in the PSP version earlier and the boss music was pretty nice in that one.

But damn some of the original music was so damn good, and from what I've seen of the PSP version there were scenes that they didn't make new music for and instead of just leaving the old music there, they replaced it with a different old track, which makes no sense to me. So some scenes that were supposed to have an ominous track like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ZylqYHpgY&index=5&list=PL936E86AC64D920F3 was replaced with something upbeat. I just don't get it.

And the fact that these two were replaced is pretty unfortunate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAfbXuMDTSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHgXFk6V20

Still, I'm sure the PSP version is great overall, it sounds like it has some really nice improvements. In the PSX version you can't even see who can equip what in shop menus, you just have to buy something and see who can use it.
>>
>>329113828

>That zipper

For what purpose?
>>
File: 1456313271660.jpg (73 KB, 644x850) Image search: [Google]
1456313271660.jpg
73 KB, 644x850
>>329113983
ya know, for zipper things
>>
>>329113851

>i dont want to play it on a big screen and not be able to control my party

Oh it's like that, huh? Ew, why would they do that? I know the original version of Dragon Quest IV did that, but that was in like, 1990 when everyone was still trying new things.
>>
Is it odd that out of all the older games I only enjoyed SMT1?
>>
>>329114310

I guess not if it suits your tastes the most.
>>
File: buccelati.png (417 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
buccelati.png
417 KB, 500x374
>>329113983
>>
>>329114057
They did it because the game is designed to try make you feel like you are genuinely the MC and the rest of your party are actual people you just happen to be leading as a team. It's for the sake of immersion, basically.

You can still issue general tactics for them to follow and change them all whenever it's your turn, though, so it's not that different from direct control anyway.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.