[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a newcomer to Dark Souls, can someone explain why Dark Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
As a newcomer to Dark Souls, can someone explain why Dark Souls I is worshipped while Dark Souls II (and occasionaly DeS and BB) are shat on by /v/?
>>
>>329099442
Can I come to your 14th birthday you prepubescent faggot? (Don't reply I'm leaving, just know your a cunt)
>>
You seem to be a newcomer to /v/ as well.

In terms of getting shat on, the general hierarchy goes:
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 1
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls

Dark Souls 2 gets flak because it has the worst level, world, boss and enemy design, and the blandest music in the series, as well as some really questionable design choices (tying online matchmaking to souls earned rather than soul level etc.)

And Dark Souls 1 is incomplete and the second half is weak, but is partly redeemed by the excellent DLC.

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are relatively complete and polished compared to the Dark Souls games, so they tend to get shit on the least.
>>
Dark Souls I gets worshiped because it's a good game, and Dark Souls II gets shat on by /v/ because it's a good game, but slightly less good than the first one due to some bad choices in level design and enemy/boss design.
>>
>>329101408
>Demon's Souls
>polished
>>
>>329099442
DeS and BB getting shat on with such gusto on /v/ is largely due to their platform exclusivity, though the former is a bit rough in places.
>>
DaS 1 and 2 get shit on cause they have legitimate problems
DeS and BB get shit on because PCucks can't play them.
>>
memes
>>
>>329099442
all souls games are good except dark souls 2
>>
>>329102312
How is it possible that Dark Souls 2 actually has worse graphics than Dark Souls I, did they use a different engine?
>>
>>329102878
The game has zero dynamic lighting.
>>
>>329099442
BB > DaS >(=) DeS > DaS2 is the objective tier list for the games.
>>
>>329099442
bad level design
has the enemy design/placement mentality of "if we can't make it interesting then we'll just make a group of 6 enemies for you to fight"
added mechanics were terrible
hitboxes are disgustingly bad unless you invest in one skill which eventually turns the game ridiculously easy once you get it high enough. also the bad hitboxes without it make it so virtually every build needs it, unless you want to have hugely frustrating moments.
that's the biggest one's for me.
>>329101408
you have the taste of cancer.
>>
>>329099442
DS2 isn't DS1.

/thread
>>
>>329101408
>And Dark Souls 1 is incomplete and the second half is weak
Never bothered to go past O&S.

Guess I'm not missing much then?
>>
>>329103856
THIS!

This so much.
>>
>>329103641

well that just isnt true

>>329102878

everything is just totally washed out and drab. there's no contrast, no saturation

a lot of levels are also fairly dull by design, compared to the more fantasy themes of ds1 which are simply more geometrically interesting
>>
S O U L
M E M O R Y
>>
>>329104037
play the DLC, it was surprisingly good. O&S was the prime of the game for me. the rest is still good for the most part, just downhill.
>>
>>329101408
>thinking /v/ shits on DS1 LESS than Bloodborne
How new R u
>>
>>329104262

Dukes archives is great and i dont care what plebs say

also blighttown is the best level in the game
>>
File: das 2.jpg (197 KB, 1371x745) Image search: [Google]
das 2.jpg
197 KB, 1371x745
I actually think ds2 is better than ds1.

The game took a few steps back in a few areas but it took a lot of steps forward in many more.
>>
>>329099442
Every game is shat on by the people who started the series with the previous game. Calling it now DkS3 will be getting shat on by BB players because its "copying it."
>>
You've got to understand that this game had so much fucking hype. Like a metric shit ton and no amount of people going "look at this hallway lighting looks bad" could stop people from frothing for it.

Then it comes out and it's not perfect. It has genuinely good things and bad things about it but that's not my point.

It wasn't the game people were expecting. Could the game people were expecting actually have really been made? I don't know. Was the hype coming from people who had barely played the first and were delusional about DaS1 being better than it was or was the hype coming from people who have invested so much fucking time into DaS that this had to compete with something someone spent hunderds and hundreds of hours on? I don't know.

But the game comes out and it was what it was. Clearly what it was ended up being enough for people to still call it complete fucking garbage.

More than having to compare it to DaS to why people talk shit about it I think it's more important to compare it to the idealized version living in the heavens above that people need to compare it to.

I tried to keep my expectations as low as possible for the game and I honestly had fun with it but on some level even I was a little disappointed. Now imagine that feeling for people who think nothing but praise for DaS and what they thought was going to come of it.

The hype was always the greatest enemy for DaS 2. If DaS 3 is equal to DaS 2 in every possible way the fact people aren't hoping as much of it alone will make it seem like it's the better of the two for that alone.
>>
2 lacks everything that makes 1 good
>>
File: 1400663919667.png (284 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1400663919667.png
284 KB, 768x1024
SOUL LEVEL MATCHMAKING
= min max faggotry, cookie cutter character builds, fighting people with the exact same stats and gear over and over again, builds get optimised and therefore become the standard of use, tryhard faggotry

SOUL MEMORY MATCHMAKING
= nobody is truly even, nobody is minmaxed, huge variety in character builds and weapon and armour loadouts, nothing is 'optimal' so everyone uses something different, less serious, more fun
>>
>>329105126
Not everything. The only thing it lacks is the interconnected world design. Other than that its fine.
>>
>>329105190
Twinking is something that also went out the window with soul memory. I've never gotten twinked in dks2 whereas you can't go 5 minutes in the burg without some katana pyromancy faggot flipping all over your ass.
>>
>>329103886
>you have the taste of cancer.
How so? I'm not sure you read my post because pretty much everything you said is in agreement with it.

Also, I wasn't talking about my taste, I was talking about /v/'s
>>
Why even argue when BB is the best one released?

DS3 better be fucking good or it too will fall shadow.
>>
>>329104037
>Guess I'm not missing much then?
Guy who made that post here. I personally think that it's still fun after O&S. Even if some of the areas aren't as well-designed or as strong as the earlier ones, they're still interesting and atmospheric and have some really memorable boss battles. Artorias of the Abyss is also brilliant, which definitely is a great reason to keep going.

'I would honestly say that I enjoyed the second half of Dark Souls more than ALL of Dark Souls 2 and its DLC.
>>
>>329099442
Play ds2 first then ds1. Only nastalgaing fags hate it I went
Des
Ds2
DS
Bb
And I prefer ds2
>>
>>329105575
I went from 1 to 2 and I can't go back. I tried playing through DkS1 again and I quit when I realized I could only roll in 4 directions.
>>
>>329105356
>getting shat on
my bad, my brain was skipping over pieces while reading it. I guess I'm more out of it than I realized. been up for 31 hours between classes and work and I'm too wired to sleep.
>>
>>329105687
>this
Don't even get me started on twinkers ruining pvp from level 1-50 and the connection on ds2 feels more stable pvp is still enjoyable
>>
>>329099442
Basically because Dark Souls was genre defining and extremely good.

Dark souls 2 was a poor sequel. Fixing some things, breaking others and missing many of the key elements which made DS1 great (aka godly level design, boss variety, dank memes ect...).

DS2 isn't a bad game by any measure. It's just that DS 1 is an extremely hard act to follow.
>>
>>329105740
That sounds terrible anon. Hope you manage to get some rest soon.
>>
>>329099442
We had this thread like million times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
>>
Bloodborn is the best "Souls" game, right?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.