[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has it happened to you yet? >See people complaining about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 26
File: and it'll happen to you.png (191 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
and it'll happen to you.png
191 KB, 512x384
Has it happened to you yet?

>See people complaining about shit like framerate and muddy textures and who refuse to play a game because it's 720p
>I'm still impressed that PS1 games even exist, basically any graphics above a PS2 are just garnish and barely eve register for me
>Don't find any of the referential humor in games like Borderlands and Undertale funny while everyone else seems to find it hilarious
>Can't even fathom the custom of watching people play games for you instead of just playing them, unless it's a quick review/tutorial/live competition, just watching people play all the way through a game and talking over it is the least entertaining thing I can imagine
>>
>See people complaining about shit like framerate and muddy textures and who refuse to play a game because it's 720p
Thank the TB crowd for that. Yes a game should be better, but it isn't unplayable.
>I'm still impressed that PS1 games even exist, basically any graphics above a PS2 are just garnish and barely eve register for me
Not quite, PS2 was getting better, but there is still a nice jump between say FF10 and Witcher 3.
>Don't find any of the referential humor in games like Borderlands and Undertale funny while everyone else seems to find it hilarious
Hit and miss.
>Can't even fathom the custom of watching people play games for you instead of just playing them, unless it's a quick review/tutorial/live competition, just watching people play all the way through a game and talking over it is the least entertaining thing I can imagine
I find LPs nice to listen to on the side, but I tend to have already beaten or flat out not care about the game itself rather than use it as a guide.
>>
>>323916440
There are others like you.
Lurkers of /v/ that aren't shitty kids or scum.
Don't let the majority of /v/ tell you otherwise.
>>
File: Jasper_Beardly.png (14 KB, 254x400) Image search: [Google]
Jasper_Beardly.png
14 KB, 254x400
>>323916440
>framerate and muddy textures
Spoiled millennials. As long as the game doesn't freeze, I'm okay with it.

>Let's Players
It's terrible when I reach a part in a game that I don't understand. Watch the highest rated video on YouTube for advice, only to see some whippersnapper also get stuck on the same portion.
>>
>>323916440
>>Can't even fathom the custom of watching people play games for you instead of just playing them, unless it's a quick review/tutorial/live competition, just watching people play all the way through a game and talking over it is the least entertaining thing I can imagine
I always enjoyed watching my brother play games so that translated really easily for me.
>>
>>See people complaining about shit like framerate and muddy textures and who refuse to play a game because it's 720p

I give no fucks about graphics but if it goes lower than 50fps (fucking PAL) I'm not going to touch that laggy shit.

>>I'm still impressed that PS1 games even exist, basically any graphics above a PS2 are just garnish and barely eve register for me

See firs reply. As long as I can tell what's happening I'm fine.

>>Don't find any of the referential humor in games like Borderlands and Undertale funny while everyone else seems to find it hilarious

Played both, didn't like them. But I don't like video games "culture" or stupid memes either.

>>Can't even fathom the custom of watching people play games for you instead of just playing them, unless it's a quick review/tutorial/live competition, just watching people play all the way through a game and talking over it is the least entertaining thing I can imagine

I've never watched a stream or a let's play in my llife. The only other person I've had fun watching playing is my brother, because he's actually skilled and not a fucking retard.
>>
>framerate
With today's hardware, I'd expect 60 fps, but the faggots crying about it and the developers making shitty excuses is what makes my blood boil.

I'm happy with either if it's playable, but don't bullshit with me on why you can't get it higher.
>>
I've been watching LPs since DeceasedCrab made youtube the standard for hosting them

I don't get why people bitch about others watching LPs. When I'm at work eating lunch, or in bed at night, I like to watch content about things I enjoy, aka video games. I don't understand why /v/ has this huge stigma about it
>>
>>323918409

I mean I don't mind sitting with a friend while they play a game, and besides we'll often take turns and at the very least there's two way conversation while it's going on.

>>323918464
>Try to watch the average lets play
>Jesus this is fucking intolerable, he won't shut up and he's shit at the game
>Watch speedruns
>Impressive the first time, learn some cheeky tips but watching people speedrun the same game over and over is incredibly tedious

The only "let's play" type shit I really enjoy is someone good at a game running through and dropping some tips as to how they're getting through as they go, like that Bootsy fellow. Shame they're few and far between, and the format only really works for action oriented games.
>>
>>323918823

Because the vast majority of LPs are now loud, brash dipshit with a personality like a children's TV presenter playing poorly and constantly talking about unrelated shit and cracking wise. If you know of any relaxed, non-motormouth LPers I'd like your recommendations.
>>
>>323919052

I think the only LPers I watch are Deceasedcrab (Who very rarely updates anymore, but all of his stuff is good and he's got a pleasant voice), HCBailly (Who does mostly optimized walkthrough styled stuff of jrpgs, typically old Square stuff. Very indepth styled LPs(, and Northernlion (Background noise material. Talks a lot but is pleasant to listen to)
>>
>>323919052
wiegraf9009 talks a lot about the game and less about unrelated things.
Shame he talks slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Direwolf20 if you are into Minecraft and similar.

that's what i have
>>
You're just getting old /v/

This is exactly how your parents felt about the stuff you liked, and how modern kids will feel about the stuff their kids like
>>
File: 888.jpg (51 KB, 600x641) Image search: [Google]
888.jpg
51 KB, 600x641
>>323919484
>>
>>323916440
>my mindset in general is more like that of people above 50 despite being in my 20s
>feel ashamed by people younger than 35 and their childish, immature ways
Why?
>>
Yeah, but it started happening when I was 22, I'm now 30 and I'm completely detached from all of that stuff. I have skipped literally all of the TBBT/TWD/GOT/Lost shit and those that followed, and most of the major gaming hip series from last gen.
>>
File: KxhTsJp.gif (229 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
KxhTsJp.gif
229 KB, 500x579
>tfw I just play videogames
>tfw at the end of the day, absolutely none of the shit listed in OP matters or makes a difference to anyone

Best way to be desu. Just play games that interest you and have fun.

Not quite sure why you would ever expose yourself to other people bickering about menial shit like performance numbers. You know that you don't care, so why are you concerning yourself with it at all?
>>
Yes

This place is a complete shithole full of immature brats, you can't have a discussion anymore since some retard will just decide to shitpost and derail the thread.
>>
>>323918615

Did any dev apart from The Order guys ever actually bullshit about framerate? Even that being bullshit is debatable because they said it made the game more "cinematic" and it turns out they were making a movie after all.

I think the majority of devs I've seen talk about this have been very upfront with the fact that the majority of people prefer better graphics over 60fps. I think they are right even if I may personally prefer 60fps.
>>
>I'm a special snowflake
>r-right?
>>
>>323919919
Have you achieved wizardry or some skank took it from you?
>>
>Don't care about graphics
>Don't get most modern gaming fads like LPs and streamers
>Bought into cheevos wholesale

I mean I was already doing perfectionist runs of shit like FF7 when I was younger so when cheevos came around I was all for it.
>>
I understand the desire for 60 FPS, even if you don't particularly care and are happy with 30 it's a matter of principle. Companies are doing less and less but still charging the same prices they always were, more if we count DLC. Everything has gone to shit from the economy to the social structure to the government to all forms of media, they're all connected. So, when I hear an ancient geezer complaining about how the 50s were better I nod my head and understand what he's getting at because we've been on such a gradual decline every decade has been worse in some way than the last, regardless of the barely-advancing technology. 3D games reached their peak in gen 6 in terms of gameplay, and PC games don't look that much different from say, Crysis which launched ~8 years ago. In the case of faux-retro indieshit, they look and play worse than the retro games they try to ape.

tl;dr its all ogre and there won't be a crash this time
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (25 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
25 KB, 300x301
>>323916440
Framerate has always been a topic for discussion, especially back then when europe got fucked over by having a 50hz standard, which made the games run 20% slower.

Looks like you've been casual for decades.
>>
>>323916775
>Thank the TB crowd for that. Yes a game should be better, but it isn't unplayable.

I get motion sickness, games that dip under 30 fps give me headaches. It's literally unplayable.

Also, you, like most people, probably don't have a high refresh rate monitor. Once you have one of those it *does* become very difficult to go back.
>>
>>323920934
>20% slowe

16,66% actually, but we at least got RGB.

It stills hurt anyway.
>>
>>323920576

Wizard. I care for little things at this point, and finding a hooker is not one of them.

>>323920693

You're like Lisa Garland in Silent Hill. The crash already happened, you just did not pay attention because the media is all "market has changed"; no, the market is dead, and whatever good there is, is remnants. Gaming started dying aproximately after the launch of Bioshock and completely died after the first wymmyn and vidya video.
>>
File: 1450738257557.gif (3 MB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1450738257557.gif
3 MB, 240x135
>>323916440
>used to love Nintendo
>would see people complaining about Nintendo because "waggle" and "rehash" and "no third party support"
>I never saw these as issues so I just wrote the naysayers off as trolls

>nowadays
>I hate Nintendo's region lock, games never dropping in price, and so on
>Ninty fans today don't see these as problems and they just write my complaints off as shitposting

I don't know if "it" has happened to me, but "something" definitely did.
>>
>>323916440

The humor in Undertale is not referential, it is completely self contained.
>>
>>323919991
This

Play the games you like, not the ones you are told to play
>>
File: 1331881058398.jpg (17 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1331881058398.jpg
17 KB, 313x286
>Some people on this board refuse to play PS1 games because of the graphics
>>
>>323920693
>Companies are doing less and less but still charging the same prices they always were

Production costs for games have skyrocketed in the last decade. They used to spend a few million making a game, now the average game costs around $30 million to make. And no, it doesn't all go to marketing, for a game they actually decide to market the budget gets bumped up to $60 million. Game developers are not doing less, they are doing far more than they ever have, it's just the majority of that more goes to graphics.
>>
>>323921113

The backlash against Nintendo's business practices has been a long time coming. You're certainly not alone.
>>
new games just aren't that appealing anymore, the most colours you have are pretty dark ones, atleast Nintendo tries to use more than 2 colours but it's a shame they can't market for shit
>>
>>323921352
2bh 3D games from PS1 aged really badly
2D games are still perfectly fine, same with games like BoF3 that use sprites with 3D backgrounds
>>
>>323921113
>I hate Nintendo's region lock, games never dropping in price, and so on
That never changed.
What the fuck you faggots are so retarded.
>>
>>323921083
>The crash already happened
I wish. A crash would mean a massive consumer boycott of the industry, forcing devs to step up their game. Maybe giants like EA would finally be toppled after several years of severe losses. This is something far worse, which is complicity and complacency. Every drugged out dudebro playing FIFA on their $400 nogaem box is a zombie who is keeping everyone in this hole, every SJW tumblrina who doesn't give a shit about games but cares about politically correct narrative is the commissar breaking down the doors of those who harbor patrician tastes. The natural course of things cannot take place because there are these morons forming a giant idiot dyke, damming up the whole river and turning it into a swamp. No crash, anon.
>>
File: 1445368582378.gif (2 MB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
1445368582378.gif
2 MB, 576x324
>mastered all kinds of games of different genres
>every new game is the same as something you already played
>only excited for vr experiences
>too poor to afford vr
>>
>>323916440
Not entirely the same, but I appreciate the grapgics in gamea based on how much they did with the available resources. Ps1 games are a bit too old for me, but I still think Twillight princess is extremely pretty because of how much attention to detail it has. Same with morrowind.
>>
Watching people play games and react to them and comment on them while playing is simulating the environment that used to be prevalent in the era of local multiplayer and going over to a friend's house and playing with them, or sitting out while they take a turn at a singleplayer game more specifically. It's just that now it's like one theoretically entertaining player at the controls making jokes while thousands of other people sit on the couch watching.
>>
>>323916440
Low framerates may have been forgiveable in the past, when it was impressive that the game was in 3D at all, and usually older games are playable at that lower framerate anyway. But when a game looks impressive yet still runs at <30 FPS it shows that something is wrong with the developers' priorities.
>>
>>323921520

Playing BoF3 on psp right now, wouldn't replay FFVII if you killed me otherwise.
>>
>>323916440

Congratulations, you're not an idiot.
>>
>>323921649
>maintaining only dudebros play on consoles
>using SJW boogeyman
>"tumblrina"
>"Patrician"
Kind of pathetic b8
>>
>>323921352
>Remember the first time I played with the T-Rex on Demo-1
>Must have spent about 30 minutes just spinning it around, making it talk, and being just blown away by how good it looked
>Still impressed by it to this day
>mfw gf is 6 years younger than me and can barely identify it as a dinosaur because it looks so awful to her

I guess it's like me with Atari games, I just can't get into it, but C64 and NES games look fine to this day.
>>
>>323921730
>Playing BoF3 on psp right now
are you me? I've been on a BoF3 kick as well and I'm playing that version as well
what part are you now?
>>
What is it called when I look back at the things I liked when I was younger and can admit that 90% of it was terrible shit that doesn't interest me anymore, but at the same time a lot of the new shit that people are into doesn't look appealing at all?
>>
>>323921396
>Game developers are not doing less, they are doing far more than they ever have, it's just the majority of that more goes to graphics.
This is bullshit, they're made with templates and existing engines, how fucking hard is it to make yet another FPS? They're spending like crazy because they're massive, inefficient companies that can't develop for shit anymore, yet people keep buying so it keeps going, like the government.
>>
>>323921027
I have a high refresh rate monitor and it's not difficult to go back
>>
>>323921803
>muh hardcore fortress of 2 million bloodborne players
Get a fucking clue m8
>>
>>323921857

Only at the first boss of mt glaus, started like yesterday.
>>
>>323921803
What is this?
'Boogeyman'?
Are we Implying they don't exist now?
Perhaps people blow them out of proportion frequently, but they still exist.
>>
File: MAKING-ARRANGEMENTS.jpg (116 KB, 854x682) Image search: [Google]
MAKING-ARRANGEMENTS.jpg
116 KB, 854x682
>>323921923

"Acceptance"
>>
>>323921027
>I get motion sickness, games that dip under 30 fps give me headaches. It's literally unplayable.
Only because you're an autistic idiot.
>>
>>323922119
oh ok
it just gets better, godspeed dude
>>
>>323922132
But I still have the will to live.
>>
>>323921706

I can forgive them any day because I got used to it back in the PS1 days, and playing better looking games over the years hasn't somehow changed my brain to make everything that came before look worse.

Also when people say a PS4 game looks like shit and it looks better than fucking Toy Story I can't understand what they're saying. It looks better than Toy Story, holy shit, you're playing a game and it looks better than Toy Story, it looks better than FMV, this is what they promised me years and years ago and it all came true. I can't do anything but think "holy shit this is incredible" when I play current gen games.
>>
Graphical upgrades have been a major part of advertising videogames since their beginning, if you can't tell the difference between PS1 and games made for PS2 and later you may have eye problems, or just a better imagination than most people. People just get really hyped for better graphics since they keep selling us games and consoles based on new, sick graphics upgrades
Also people watch streams mostly for the streamer, why pewdiepie is so popular has absolutely nothing to do with what he plays
>>
>>323921926
>This is bullshit, they're made with templates and existing engines

The real cost of game development is not coding and engines, it's assets. Textures, models, animations, audio, etc. That is where the vast majority of a game's development budget goes.

Doesn't matter if you are indie or AAA, that is where you are spending your money.
>>
>>323916440
This is less a generational thing and more of a widening audience thing. There are young gamers who have standards and old gamers who are fucking casuals. While it is true that some of your points are more indicative of particular age groups, most of the problems with the industry come from the money involved and the decisions that stem from it which, despite being totally sensible from a business standpoint, tend to leave a portion of consumers behind.

That said, "it'll happen to you" is also a vestige of older generations. Part of the fear came from things older generations liked being completely phased out; their favorite styles of music going away for good, nothing new ever being made again, not being able to hear it on the radio, etc. While it is true things we like will become less popular over time, it is now very easy to find and stick with other people who share your tastes thanks to the internet. Markets for niche things will persist, and it is now much more viable for willing content producers to cater to those markets rather than being swallowed up.

We're in a transitional phase, so it's not perfect. Small producers still get swallowed up by big ones with mass market-centric goals, for example. But within a decade, we'll be living in an era where everybody will be able to find new content which satisfies them, even if it doesn't have huge production values. No more "golden ages," but certainly a less turbulent and divisive industry.
>>
As far as I'm concerned any game that looks as good as Half Life 2 looks great in my book. I'm willing to accept HL1 tier graphics too.
>>
File: Delayclose.jpg (102 KB, 1140x741) Image search: [Google]
Delayclose.jpg
102 KB, 1140x741
>>323922648

That's a good way to look at it, and I think an era where everyone can find content catered to their niche is the definition of a golden age. I don't think production values have to suffer either, unless you're in the very smallest of niches, and even then there are examples of excellence, I mean look at the Flight sim crowd, they've been niche forever and the equipment and software they get is very impressive.
>>
File: wHABxFN.png (625 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
wHABxFN.png
625 KB, 1000x2000
>>323922615
>Textures, models, animations, audio, etc
And yet modestly sized companies were producing 3d games on much, much lower budgets (with surround sound) than they are today. There's no way you can deny the trend of megacorps buying everything out and then shitting out mediocrity on huge budgets. Dumb managers and CEOs who don't actually game think that throwing big money at it will cause it to have big returns, and as long as people keep eating their slop that's all we'll ever get.
>>
>>323922648
Don't buy into the long tail hypothesis. Vidya will only become more dominated by a few big releases that suck up all the budget and sales money in the industry.
>>
>>323923235
>Burnout and NFS merged together and rose from the game as a glorious fusion monster

EA knows what it's doing.
>>
>>323923235

I don't understand why better quality graphics = more cost is such a difficult thing to understand.

>There's no way you can deny the trend of megacorps buying everything out and then shitting out mediocrity on huge budgets.

I'm not arguing games aren't mediocre. They definitely are becoming more mediocre in general and deliberately so, the increased costs of development means they make the game with a broader appeal in order to improve the chances of a return on the investment.

All I'm arguing is the idea that game developers are doing less when making a game today than they were in the old days is bullshit. For fuck's sake, the size of development teams has gone from dozens to hundreds and sometimes thousands. They didn't increase the size of the teams because they have less to do.
>>
>>323916440
I think the only games I ever thought were funny were MGS
>>
>>323923303
What's your evidence for that? Indie devs are flourishing, some of the best games we've been getting over the past few years have been small budget titles, and mainstream audiences are finally starting to show signs of being exhausted with AAA shit. I don't expect that trend to continue forever, and there are obvious problems with how some shit works such as crowdfunding, but it is definitely going to take some huge shift in the industry to change the way things are going, and I don't think it's anything we can predict at this point.
>>
>>323923907
Indie devs are literally depending on charities.

>mainstream audiences are finally starting to show signs of being exhausted with AAA shit.
You make it sound like no sales records were broken in 2015.
>>
>>323923760
>I don't understand why better quality graphics = more cost is such a difficult thing to understand.
Because the statement reeks of relativism. How much more cost? Do you have budget breakdowns to know exactly how much companies are putting into graphics? Can you compare this across different games with different levels of graphics to substantiate a trend in cost?

We have evidence of games which look great on small budgets, and we have evidence of games which look like shit on enormous budgets, so you can't just expect people to accept the blanket statement that better graphics = more cost without a better argument.
>>
>>323923760
>I don't understand why better quality graphics = more cost is such a difficult thing to understand.
Because that's not the case at all. Development of something totally new from scratch on new technology is expensive, developing once that technology has matured and is widespread is much less so. Once upon a time people had to draw sprites and backgrounds and animate them which took a long time. Now they can model in 3D and then let the computer handle much of the other stuff. If anything costs should be going down to compete, especially in series that are only getting incremental updates with each new game, yet we're getting charged MORE to get the full game than we were 10 years ago because people keep buying. The only reason dev teams and budgets have ballooned is due to chronic mismanagement and sheer corporate bloat.
>>
File: 1415441394220.gif (393 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1415441394220.gif
393 KB, 640x360
>tfw you still find shit like R&C and MGS3 and other PS2 titles better looking than Obvilion and some other PS3 titles
>>
>>323923907
>some of the best games we've been getting over the past few years have been small budget titles
This. Despite the indie market being flooded with shovelware and non-games it's still the only place you're going to get any decent and interesting vidya.
>>
>>323924672

Art direction > graphical fidelity
>>
>>323916440

I got into LP's pretty late, mid-2013 if I remember correctly. For me, it was a friend simulator; I had just moved away from my hometown, where I had friends to play video games with. I also was reliant on their systems, since mine had broken and I was NEET and couldn't afford a system. After I moved, I was basically left with games I could play on my phone, and youtube. Seeing people play games I was missing out on, while simultaneously making me laugh helped fill in a huge gap in my life.

As soon as I was able to afford a system and build a PC, I dropped LP'ers. I went back a few weeks ago to see how all the channels were doing, and realized just how shit these people were (The Creatures, Achievement Hunter, Game Grumps). It's all one big friend simulator, and anyone who claims otherwise is deluded, underage, or both
>>
>>323916440
The only "watch people play games" I do is Gootecks and Mike Ross. It gives me the illusion that I still have friends.
>>
>>323924380
>Indie devs are literally depending on charities.
Are you talking about crowdfunding? Because that's people in a niche market paying for the development of something which appeals to them. It's not like that money just magically comes from nowhere. Like I said before, it's not a great system by any means, but it's an indicator that niche markets now have the means to persist through generational changes. My grandparents couldn't crowdfund the continuation of big band productions or have immediate access to their favorite music anywhere at any time, nor would it have been feasible for them to put on their own productions. We do have those options.
>>
File: no longer crazy.png (184 KB, 457x396) Image search: [Google]
no longer crazy.png
184 KB, 457x396
>>323916440

>Reddit PC master race faggotry
>shit humor that panders to the lowest common denominator
>watching some faggot scream at you in front of a webcam is pure cancer

You're not getting old. You just have common sense.
>>
>>323924865
I've only watched SA's LPs, it's kinda funny to me that LPs are synonymous with Youtube gamer personalities.
>>
>>323924659

It's incredibly apparent you don't know anything if you think it's easy to just model something in a 3D modelling application and call it a day. It is very time consuming and technical work. And it's expensive.
>>
>>323924672
Thats because Bethesda are fucking amateurs.
>>
"It will happen to you" is a bitter and spiteful concept that older generations tout because they fear and resent the notion that it might not actually happen to us.
>>
ITT: Console only players who think framerate is only an issue now and don't remember games like Quake that were played at 120FPS or even other games (mostly multiplayer) that would be unplayable below 60FPS. Even in the early days of Counter-Strike framerate was an important issue. Eat shit, low FPS or FPS drops were a noticeable issue ever since TB became a thing.
>>
>>323925349
The fact that it hasn't happened to you only goes to show just how underage you really are
>>
>>323925265
Learning 3D modeling is time consuming and technical. Hiring a 3D modeler can be expensive. Actually utilizing that skill if you have it is neither.
>>
>>323916440
Most of people here are like you dude. We jistdont post nearly as much the other people because we have other thimgs to do.
>>
>>323916440
Seriously what kind of sick motherfucker enjoys LPs, shit I cant even imagine
>>
>>323918837
If you're looking for people who run games quickly and leave tidbits about secrets and stuff like that, you should check out ScribeD.
>Inb4 shill
>>
>>323916440
>Can't even fathom the custom of watching people play games for you instead of just playing them

I explain it as watching a late-night talk-show host. You can always read the news yourself with the paper or the net, but you prefer to watch somebody read and joke about the news because it's fun.

Of course, it always depends on which LPer you watch, some of them are really obnoxious.
>>
>>323925508
>Actually utilizing that skill if you have it is neither.

Complete and utter bullshit. The fact that it is such difficult and time consuming work is the reason it's so expensive. There is certainly no shortage of 3D modellers out there.
>>
>>323925457
I love it when 20-something hipsters talk about how old they are as if it's some badge of honor to distract them from having accomplished nothing in life and to try to fit in with real adults who have accomplished things.
>>
File: lostvik2.png (100 KB, 640x240) Image search: [Google]
lostvik2.png
100 KB, 640x240
>>323921352
As for me, I didn't like the PSX age (1995-2000). I mean, low-poly stuff was good, but not the CGI stuff, that became common for 2D games instead of drawn pictures.
But now my hatred is gone. People less and less play that stuff, the only remained for them is nostalgically love that stuff and laugh sometimes how that stuff seemed the avant-garde of technologies.

>>323921834
> I guess it's like me with Atari games, I just can't get into it
Try Intellivision/Colecovision stuff, their libraries aren't as big as Atari's, and good games are easier to seek.
>>
>>323925427

Before TB became a thing*
>>
>>323925756
lol he replied
>>
>>323925349
oh, it'll happen.

you'll see.
>>
>>323925061
The indie scene cannot grow with the charity model. It can only sustain itself.

For comparison, the crowdfunding model for films is impossible the because the costs are higher. The <$100k dollar horror movie's video game equivalent is a 10k point and click thing. A film PRODUCTION costs millions. Indie games wouldn't be alive if vidya wasn't a 'cheap' medium.
>>
File: 1452220682130.jpg (84 KB, 540x524) Image search: [Google]
1452220682130.jpg
84 KB, 540x524
>>323916440
>People complaining about games running at less of 60fps
Maybe it's because I was so accustumed to play games at 15 fps on my old shitty pc because I couldn't do better at the time that I don't really care, if a game runs consistently at 30 I'm happy.
>>
>>323925901
>The indie scene cannot grow with the charity model.
Grow into what? AAA developers? That kind of growth is why the industry is such fucking garbage now. Again, some of the best games we've had in recent years are small budget indie titles, so I don't see the problem with that "just" sustaining itself.
>>
>>323916440
>>See people complaining about shit like framerate and muddy textures and who refuse to play a game because it's 720p

I wholeheartedly agree with the textures part, I personally couldn't give less of a shit about the graphical fidelity of a game as long as the art design is nice and it runs well

I've been playing Thief: TDP recently and I love the way that game looks
>>
>>323926048
>hey i can play a game at 60fps.
>the devs locked the fps at 30 for no reason.
>bro why do you want to play it at 60fps?
>food metaphor.

Ok, you can play games at 30fps now, do you want to go back to lower fps? I'm sure you don't. It's the same thing for higher fps. I will sacrifice graphical fidelity to maintain a constant high fps. Fps affects my reaction time in game, graphical fidelity is just ok to look at.
>>
>>323916440
you forget, this is neo /v/ not old /v/
>>
>>323916440

I'll forgive older games because they were working to the potential of what the hardware could do.

I expect no less from modern vidya. They should utilize the potential of the hardware available to them.

MH4U may be in 240p, but I still respect that it's one of the best looking games the 3ds has.
>>
>>323926141
Can you not admit that the indie scene is limited in what it can do, and not just in a "it'll force them to innovate!" kind of way? Is it not sad and a sign of the industry's failure that the choice is between indies and AAA? The scope of video game productions used to be wider. There's something wrong when people are glad to even have something like indies.
>>
>>323925265
>think it's easy to just model something in a 3D modelling application and call it a day
It certainly isn't so expensive budgets need to be in the high tens of millions for a new FIFA, then getting the full game costing what, $126? Cost comes from paying guys to work hours, so if ANY part of it can be automated that's already a step ahead of having to draw and animate every pixel in a game manually. And when you're talking about "better graphics" that usually means better draw distances and better textures, neither of which requires a team of 500 slaves to achieve. The problem is they now hire 10 concept design artists, the rights to shitty albums, overpriced celebrity voice actors and a whole host of other unnecessary shit because they THINK that's how things need to be done when they don't. It's the Hollywood mentality. You don't need to spend $500 million to make a good movie--you certainly CAN, but it won't necessarily make it any better as a movie and it makes it that much more difficult to innovate or take risks when you're obsessed with creating the next big, safe "tent-pole".
>>
File: Dying man.jpg (25 KB, 579x329) Image search: [Google]
Dying man.jpg
25 KB, 579x329
>>323916440
I'm totally with you on the graphicsfags front
Although my dad is the most tolerant of this shit
>Streaming a game for him to play on the Steam Link
>Games goes to like 20 FPS and stutters like fucking crazy
>"It's okay, I can still play it"
No, it's not okay if the game is literally a fucking slide show.
>>
File: 1452624656824.jpg (304 KB, 1000x1161) Image search: [Google]
1452624656824.jpg
304 KB, 1000x1161
>>323916440
Don't care as long as the framerates are consistent and there aren't too many drops. Unfortunately this is often the case with consoles. And I could give a fuck less about resolution as long as I can see everything, and textures as long as they don't look out of place.

I can't even justify this bullshit, what the fuck is wrong with people?

I've never found humor like that very funny. It's the same reason I don't like shit like Family Guy.

Agreed. What the fuck is wrong with people, just play the damn game.
>>
I don't like blurry textures, but I'm fine with low resolution. Colors are so much clearer and crisper, why smudge them? Don't think texture blurring has ever really hidden the lack of detail from me.
>>
>>323916440
I'm right there with you captain. We used to make fun of graphics whores and now they're the majority. Meanwhile the same people have the nerve to complain about games getting more expensive and publishers finding all kinds of ways to get money out of us as if the demand for better graphics isn't what's ramped up game cost.
>>
>>323921113
Salt boat

Grew up playing my gameboy almost exclusively and loving Nintendo games. Eventually got tired of the same shit that kept releasing over the 24 years I've been gaming. Voicing this just gets me labeled a sonygger.

>tfw I remember when Nintendo tried for graphics and hardware and had a semi regular controller
Hurts
>>
>>323921615
Region locking and such wasn't a big deal in the 90s when everything was region locked and I the only way you could import was if you knew a guy. Now everything but Nintendo is region free and that game that's never getting localized can be easily imported from specialty sites like play Asia.
>>
>>323926708
You're chasing after a bygone era, anon. I said there wouldn't be any more golden ages for a reason. Yes it would be nice to have more than just the indie titles we have now, but liking them as they are isn't some affront to the legacy of video gaming. It's like you're trying to say that if we like indie games then the evil AAA publishers win, and that's not true. Indie games are a sign of the resilience of a small core audience and the concept of games development as a passion rather than a business. There's nothing wrong with dreaming big and wanting more, but don't stomp all over the little garden we've been growing.
>>
>>323919424
I had to stop watching Direwolf20. His voice puts me to sleep, and all his builds are so formulaic and repetitive.
>>
>>323922546
Kids only remember the old games as some kind of commercial of the past not realizing that we actually had to put up with visuals like that as the full game. But even then it was great. I'm sure if I went back to play CTR it would look like dogshit but at the time it looked perfect. Given that perspective I don't get modern day graphics whoring.
>>
>>323928420
I am not against indie developers or their games, the specific point I was tackling was that indies are successful in addressing a demand, and that I disagreed because indies cannot fill the gap left by the financial middle ground of development that offered a good balance of resources and creative freedom. The versatility of indie releases is relative to the stagnation of the rest of the industry. The 'indie game' streotype is not just a hostile meme, indie developers gravitate towards what they can afford.

My being unsatisfied also cannot affect the indie scene in any way, so I'm not 'stomping' on anything. Also, AAA publishers continue to succeed regardless of what either of us thinks.
>>
>>323928420
What kind of fruit has that garden produced, though? Old devs shit their pants and new devs seem obsessed with imitating old genres and styles with varying degrees of success, none of them stellar so far. In the 90s companies were taking risks all over the place, creating new things, combining different elements and even making fucking claymation games which is ass to animate. So, where is the indie Westwood? The Maxis? Where are the devs coming together to create the next big thing? They don't need to because all it takes is one guy to create a meme game and hit it big, because the market rewards shit like Minecraft, FNAF and Undertale. There's no impetus to create quality when people don't demand it. That's why it's all over, not with a bang but with a retarded whimper.
>>
>>323916440
I entirely agree the with the whole graphics things, everyone single person nowdays who calls a game's graphics shit has no idea what shit graphics look like.

I sort of disagree on the referential humor point, since I believe Undertale does it quite well, and I entirely disagree on Let's Playing and Framerate, because 60 FPS feels absolutely dreamy.
>>
>>323916440
I bought a WiiU for Smash. I haven't gone past the PS2 on Sony's side or the 360 for Microsoft. Indie games are garbage now, but I liked SMB and Braid and stuff. The Youtube stuff is kind of annoying, but I don't hate 100% of it, probably around 95%. Yeah, I'm old. Fuck it.
>>
The "Let's Play" stuff is the most baffling thing ever to me. Watching other people play single-player games, forming essentially a cult around the person and giving them money, and getting offended when publishers deny them that money.

It just does not make sense.
>>
Sure has. After seeing games like Silent Hill 3 and Metroid Prime 2 I pretty much checked out on graphical improvements, and even then I still dig the look of 5th gen titles. I was playing Gex: Enter the Gecko the other day and shit looked fine to me. Absolutely boggles my mind how some people can't play stuff that predates HDTVs.

Another thing I simply don't understand is resolutionfags. Framerate I get, that directly influences gameplay, but I was playing on a Game Boy Color almost 20 years ago with ease. I actually cringe whenever people bitch about the 3DS's screen, let alone the Vita's, that shit's fucking amazing compared to what I grew up with.
>>
File: 1452472760397.gif (218 KB, 340x324) Image search: [Google]
1452472760397.gif
218 KB, 340x324
>tfw I play games in 720p anyway because I play games windowed
>>
File: saved from google bite my ass.jpg (257 KB, 2880x1620) Image search: [Google]
saved from google bite my ass.jpg
257 KB, 2880x1620
No country for old game-players, OP.

Now, call it.
>>
>>323931769
Let's be real, the resolution on the 3DS IS dogshit. It's the jaggy models I can't stand, I'm fine with low poly but for fuck sake Nintendo does like to be absolute cheapskates on their hardware, save for the gamecube.
>>
I'm with you on Graphics and let's plays. I love watching competition streams and I go on youtube to get tips/builds/tricks etc, but just fucking PLAYING a game? I don't get it.
>>
File: Drink.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Drink.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>323930475
>The "Let's Play" stuff is the most baffling thing ever to me. Watching other people play single-player games, forming essentially a cult around the person and giving them money, and getting offended when publishers deny them that money.

not really the situation senpai, if a letsplayer is on twitch he receives donations but on Youtube he gets paid by google. Publishers don't give them money and people wouldn't get offended. The cultlike status only really applies to the big guys with kid audiences like Markiplier Pewdiepie or captain sparklez, kids REALLY fucking love those guys. The appeal of letsplays is difficult to explain, people like Jesse Cox and GameGrumps use the games theyre playing like improv material, while other letsplay channels focus on technicality and the guys from Two Best Friends Play get this relationship with the audience in which you feel like you know them and you are interested to see their reactions to shit, like: 'Oh I'm excited to see them encounter this boss in Bloodborne, Woolie would go crazy!'. Point is, there are lots of reasons to watch letsplays, it's just a guy playing a video game and talking over the gameplay, but it can get pretty fun.
>>
>>323933432
That sounds pretty autistic
>>
File: 1444441432230.jpg (250 KB, 1200x1350) Image search: [Google]
1444441432230.jpg
250 KB, 1200x1350
I don't know if it's old age or not but a lot of "ultra" and quite a few "high" effects in a lot of games seem to be invisible varnish for the soul purpose of crushing hardware
>>
>>323933526
It really is. Why would you watch other faggots act as tryhard as possible In front of a camera to pander to their autistic fanbase while playing a game, when you could just play the damn game yourself?
>>
>>323923456
>killing liked frachises and appealing to retards like you
yeah I guess they do
>>
>>323916440
It's the current year, anon. 1080p is standard now. 4k is the luxury one. There's no excuse for shitty textures or shitty framerate either. Graphics aren't everything but when you make a 200 million dollar game and hype the shit out of it it shouldn't look exactly the same as the shit we had five years ago.
>>
>>323921352
It depends on the game. But try playing ps1 on a 50' LED tv screen. It just looks likeshit m8
>>
Yeah. Skype.

It befounds me.
>>
Its kind of funny how the superficiality that exists in most things today now exist in video games.

I guess it just proves we live in a generation of retards amused by pretty set pieces.
>>
>>323930475
I love the sound of my own voice, but don't do anything other than theatre yet. What could someone do to make a gameplay series that you'd enjoy?
>>
>>323921027
Stop being such a whiny faggot then. You wouldn't have that problem if you stood up at least once a week.
>>
File: 1406567122256.jpg (37 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1406567122256.jpg
37 KB, 960x960
I can deal. The way I play games is that I play a relatively small amount of games, but spend a lot of time and usually multiple playthroughs on each and every one. This has lead to a considerable backlog of games I'm interested in. Coupled with the fact that there are tons of old games I haven't even looked into yet AND the fact that there's usually 3-5 worthwhile games still coming out each year, I think I'll be good for the rest of my gaming life.
>>
>>323922546
>I can't do anything but think "holy shit this is incredible" when I play current gen games.

I can't do anything but think "holy shit they wasted so many man hours on these superfluous graphics".
>>
>>323934012
>>323933526
Not sure I understand this logic.
How is let's plays anything different from any other form of media that you watch.
Is it weird for people to like watching sport but not play it. I guess it's also weird to like watching movies and entertainment in general because you'll never be the hero stopping the bad guys or be in a love triangle ala romance movies.
>>
>Playing online
>Chattinh with others in server
>"Blah blah blah.... yeah that game mechanic is totally gay"
>Other dude goes "HEY WE DONT USE GAY AS A PEJORATIVE HERE"
>Think for a moment and wonder if I'm too old for this server
>Nah
>Call him a fag and tell him to get lost
>Everyone else on the server laughs and start making jokes about liberals
Hasn't happened yet
>>
Not grampa tier like OP, but I think Witcher 3 looks great even with the downgrade.
>>
>>323941365
People watch sports because it's a form of competition. Let's Players are not professionals at what they do and people generally watch to hear the LPer talk, not for the game itself. Your comparison with movies is just dumb because that's the primary way of consuming that form of media. Watching someone else play a game is completely different from watching a movie.
>>
>>323942064
This
>>
File: futuramafry.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
futuramafry.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
>mfw people say a game that looks nicer than PS1-era games say it "looks like it was made in RPGmaker"
>>
>>323943358
What are you talking about?
>>
>>323941714
>People who grew up with ps1 are grandpas

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you literal underage
>>
>>323943504
It happens all the fucking time.

If it's not PS3 or PS4-tier then it's "RPG maker"
>>
>>323918823
I was into Let's Plays when they were just about taking screenshots and reading written running commentary on the game. I never got into the whole "Watch e-celebs play the game on the Internet" thing, but I can easily see how that can become obnoxious enough to carry a stigma.
>>
>>323943661
I'm referring to old people thinking PS1 games look amazing.
>>
>>323916440
>Referential Humor
>Undertale
What? There isn't any referential humor. Unless you consider jokes about anime fans to be referential, which it isn't.
>>
>>323916440
How old are you? I'm 29, and none of the stuff you listed sounds like an oldfag issue.

I can kind of see the referential humor being an issue. But that's not the only thing Humorous about Undertale. Regardless, referential humor has been massively overrated for such a long time. Maybe as long as comedy has been an art form, there's always the guy that just references stuff in place of cleverness.

That's just a matter of tastes. There will always be people that laugh at a mere reference. And there will always be people that find it lacking.
>>
>>323943107
>>323942064
That's fair, there is competition in sports. However, aren't there things that you watch that aren't competitive, yet offer entertainment?

Technically, if you wanted to act, you COULD act. And then you could make your own movie. But isn't it fun to watch other people acting? What's the real difference between you and them? The only real difference is that they got better at saying the words than you. Or they got better at reacting emotionally than you. And therefore, people watch them, and they don't watch you.

What's the real difference between you playing video games, and others putting on a LP. They got better at commentating than you. They got better at reacting emotionally than you. And thus, people watch them.

You'll probably say "anyone can talk while playing video games". To which I'll reply: go do it then". And you'll respond with "They just got lucky! You need luck! They're not really talented!". And to that I'll say: For every working actor out there, you could argue that they got lucky. You could argue that there are 1,000 others who can do the job better than they can. But the fact still remains, that they're applying a skill. A skill that not everyone can do.
>>
>>323921656
Don't worry
>If VR gets big, a million cheap Chinese knockoffs will pop up on the market, and eventually the technology will become cheaper and the headset prices will fall
>If VR is a bust, people will try to sell back their headsets, and then you can buy one at a lesser price

Either way, you just have to bide your time and you'll get a cheaper VR experience.
>>
>>323944205

Meta is referential.
>>
File: 0ee6cd3e4826.jpg (28 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
0ee6cd3e4826.jpg
28 KB, 476x356
>>323916440
It has.
>>
>>323943358
>A screenshot of Xenoblade Chronicles X gets posted
>NICE PS2 GAME, FAG
Every time.
>>
>>323944142
They did, you underage fuck
>>
>>323916440

game devs should be focusing on framerate above all else these days
>>
>>323946482
Yes, but we moved on.
>>
was probably about 2011 when i stopped caring about games altogether, maybe played a couple of rom hacks of old games then that was it
>>
>>323916440
PS1 games looked like hot garbage, so no, I am not impressed, nor was I ever, with them. Sometimes, you're not simply old, you're a shiteater. Stop eating shit.
>>
>>323928663
For me is the fact that he spread himself too thin on the mods and repeats the whole basic concepts each time thus ending up never reaching the "endgame" with many of the mods.

Also that Endermen shit in every single series, had i a youtube account i'd tell him that shit's getting stale but alas.
>>
>>323921113
Nintendo has been shit since the GCN days. It's good that you finally woke up.
>>
File: 1447755733610.jpg (181 KB, 1285x803) Image search: [Google]
1447755733610.jpg
181 KB, 1285x803
>>323947421
>this is coming from the Nintendicksucking faggot who is going to defend pic related.
>>
>>323916440
I sometimes watch other people play through games

I have watched full playthroughs of games that are those new "story driven" ones with little to no gameplay that matters. I make sure to find a full playthrough with no commentary so that I get pretty much the full game

things like The Order 1886 and all of the games made by teltale since I am not gonna give shit developers money but still want to know what all the fuss is about.
>>
>>323916440
I feel the same as you on the issue of graphics, but I do have a minor addiction to speedrun streams on twitch. It's good background noise
>>
>>323948447
>since the GCN days
Try N64.
>>
>>323948157
Has he stopped doing 9x9s when forced to work on his own yet?
Has Soaryn completely and officially abandoned XyCraft to be Dire's full time buttmonkey assistant who does all the building?
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.