[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Nintendo ever dominate consoles again? They easily could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: wii-u-smash.jpg (43 KB, 800x443) Image search: [Google]
wii-u-smash.jpg
43 KB, 800x443
Will Nintendo ever dominate consoles again?

They easily could on their own, but they would have to sacrafice hand helds. Having resources split between consoles and hand helds, one will have to suffer.

If the nx is a combination of both, basically a wii u but instead of a tablet its a 3ds.

Then i see Nintendo blowing away the competition
>>
Maybe if they made some good fucking games again. I'm not keen for the NX at all, because what are we gonna get?

>The Legend of Zelda: Years Over Time
>New Real Smart Cool Super Happy Mario Bros. NX
>Mario Kart 111
>Animal Crossing: Same Game
>Pikmin 30
>Super Super Super Smash Bros NX

AND THATS IT
DID U RIKE IT?
>>
>>323463868
No and they pretty much have stated they don't care to.
>>
>>323464340
>>The Legend of Zelda: Years Over Time
Zelda games are good 90% of the time. They are unique and fun.
>>New Real Smart Cool Super Happy Mario Bros. NX
We haven't had a proper 3D Mario game since 2010. Its time
>>Mario Kart 111
The last mario kart was the best. 9 will more than likely be better. More tracks, more characters
>>Animal Crossing: Same Game
Havent had a new console animal crossing since 2008. Its time
>>Pikmin 30
You mean pikmin 5, since 4 is probably coming out this year? Pikmin games are ten hour games. They are short and fun, no one is sick of these games
>>Super Super Super Smash Bros NX
One game every five years, whats the problem ?

Nintendo isnt call of duty or ass creed. I never understood people saying, the same game shit.

How is a couple games in a series a decade a bad thing?

I could see if they released a new mario kart or smash brothers every year, but they dont.
>>
>>323463868
Nintendo will never break away from their bottom line. They are bound to create games oriented at children for the rest of their existence.
>>
>>323465206
Stop
>>
>>323463868

Nope. That ship sailed with the PS2. Consoles are general purpose entertainment centers now. First it was DVD support with the PS2, then Netflix on the 360. Even then, those are having to compete with tablets.

At best, Nintendo could make a low-end budget console that appeals to niche loyalists.
>>
>>323465074

>Zelda games are good 90% of the time. They are unique and fun.

WW was the last good one. Even at launch, TP was fucking boring and has aged like milk. ALBW is passable, though. Given how pathetic SS was, my hopes are low for NX Zelda.

>Nintendo isnt call of duty or ass creed.

Yeah, Nintendo is smash and mario platformers. Mario Maker came in ten years beyond the point I would have bought a console just to make mario levels.
>>
I don't understand why people here are so passionate about whichever company is "on top"
unless you're an employee of them and get paid to care it's pretty much irrelevant to you
>>
File: ssss.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
ssss.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>>323466340

I just want to see Nintendo not suck again.
>>
>>323466251
It sounds like you're tired of their old IPs. They do make/fund new ones.
>>
File: 1424960399520.png (173 KB, 599x561) Image search: [Google]
1424960399520.png
173 KB, 599x561
>>323466012

Pretty much this. Sony/MS have rewritten the public opinion on what a gaming console should be to fit more along the lines of a multimedia device and adult-oriented machine, that includes cheap shovelware games to distract their children. This broadens their demographic and in comparison makes Nintendo's focus "only" on gaming an inherently bad thing.
>>
>Release New 3DS
>Release only 1 game for it, its a port.
>Forget a bout it and develop another handheld.
>>
>>323465074
>Zelda games are good 90% of the time
No they're not. Shit dungeon design, easy puzzles, easy boss fights, and whatever 'innovations' they try to make to the combat to make it interesting sucks. That's what the general standard for the series has been for years now. The music is the only consistently good thing about the franchise.

Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, etc would not even be given the time of day by anyone but for the Zelda branding on them, because that's the only notable thing about them. It's very much an IP that gets by on it's name alone at this point.
>>
File: 1348451254111.jpg (44 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
1348451254111.jpg
44 KB, 337x450
>>323466605

>Brand
>Innovative Features
>Faster Processing Power
>>
>>323466638
Its great if you dont own one. If you did own one and bought a new one youre a brainless fan boy eho buys everything
>>
Their classic IPs are way too repeatitive. They don't break the mold.

Third parties hardly give a shit about Nintendo anymore, due to their weak hardware.

Personally, I play Playstation for third party IPs alone (because fuck Sony's IPs) and Nintendo for the occasional Zelda/Mario/Smash/One new IP.

>>323464340
Basically this.
>>
>>323463868

>sacrifice the one business they dominate
>>
>>323466605

Nintendo's focus on gaming isn't seen as inherently bad. It's that they don't make anything other than Mario. The wonky Wii U controller doesn't help.
>>
I'm going to buy the NX at launch. I'm such a big Nintendo fan that I won't be disappointed no matter what.
>>
>>323467090

>Nintendo only makes Mario

I really, really like this meme
>>
>>323466605
This whole image confuses me
>what the family wants
what? isn't that the point of the list?

>Brand
wut? they all have one

>Innovative features
Like a camera they had to get rid of?

>Faster processing power
I'm pretty sure that's a lie when both of them say faster

>Fun factor
In what capacity does it have more fun?
>>
>>323467225
What was your favourite Wii U launch title?

Honestly curious.
>>
>>323463868
A usual nintendo console has what 3 games/year?
I am not buying a nintendo console anon.
>>
File: 1345082126709.jpg (5 KB, 185x149) Image search: [Google]
1345082126709.jpg
5 KB, 185x149
>new 2/2.5D Metroid
>new 64/SS/Galaxy-esque Mario
>new Star Fox that isn't just being used for a tech demo
>MH that I can actually play on a big screen

This is all I want. Why is it so difficult?
>>
>>323467247

They've been pushing so much Mario shit out the door (because it sells) to the point where that's all people think about Nintendo now.

For every Splatoon, you get two more Mario games.
>>
I highly doubt it, we are facing the decline of the idea of gaming console itself, both home and portable.
Maybe they will be the everlasting light, being the only console around.
Not that I like the idea but I think it's what the future will be
>>
The third parties will never allow Nintendomination again. Its simply not in their interests.
>>
if nintendo made a powerful system that got 3rd party support as well as their other stuff then yes, they'd have a chance

>But muh nintendo doesn't need it
Yes it does and not having it has fucked over the WiiU. Many 3rd party games are the big ones to have now not 1st party, the market has changed and nintendo's failure to grasp that cost them.

>>323467090
It isn't they only make that, it's that they pretty much only advertise that, fuck over 3rd parties they don't have confidence in and completely fail to bring in the bigger 3rd party games.

Basically it isn't that nintendo don't make anything other than Mario, but that it is very easy to get that perception especially from the sidelines
>>
>>323466903
I did own a oXL, sold it and bought a nXL.
Only had to pay $40.

Still, over 1 year and still no more games were announced. Even MHX doesnt have n3DS optimization like it had in 4G.
>>
>>323467356

It's clearly derived from a customer survey. From what I can tell, most Xbone owners were 360 loyalists, PS4fags wanted a cheap Blu-Ray player and most Wii U buyers are parents buying the "fun kid console" for their kids.
>>
>>323467506

Not him but NintendoLand turned out to be surprisingly fun as fuck. I went in expecting waggle-to-win and maybe four hours of content but a lot of those minigames were pretty damn hard with plenty of levels to complete.

But I don't think any hypothetical launch game could have tided me over when it came to that fuck-all of nothing between launch and maybe November of the next year.
>>
>>323463868
Nintendo are going to end up like Atari if they can't innovate a long-lasting success. They continue to milk their hardcore fans for all they're worth while continually ignoring them. Nintendo want a new, larger base and there's very little chance they will ever find it. It's not going to last.
>>
>>323467673

Not really. Third parties, aka EA and Activision, are seeing their sales flatten as they reach peak penetration. Compare what CoD is now to the hype machine it was eight years ago. The biggest third party games today are Dota 2 and Angry Birds. The former is a cafe PC title, the latter a phone game.

AAA third parties are weaker now than they ever have been. When it comes to selling games they're good at it, but they are struggling to find ways of making their franchises huge like phone games or Dota is.
>>
>>323463868
Of the 5 nominees for GOTY 2015 how many of them can i play on WiiU? How many of them can i play with PS4? And Xbone?
Thats why i dont buy a nintendo console.
>>
>>323468064

Nintendo will keep trying the Wii angle until they get completely wrecked. There was just too much money back then and jap business culture dictates that they emulate exactly what they did there.

I'm not expecting things to change. The NX will have some sort of stupid gimmick that confuses regular people and makes games harder to develop. It'll also be underpowered, and not have any of the features (like voice chat) that regular consoles have.
>>
>>323468072

How is what you just typed relevant to my post.
>>
>>323463868

Nope they are not relevent anymore . Only kids and manchildren cling to nintendo like shit on ass hair
>>
>>323468072
That's kinda like saying you are a billionaire but not a trillionaire, at the end of the day it is stupidly good. Even if we are at the peak of triple A it will still be many years and possibly another console cycle before they come anything close to falling.

Plus phone games are much more unpredictable and have a quicker drop off. A lot have been burnt by this market now and aren't dealing with it in the same way
>>
Why do people see a console/handheld combo as a good thing? The PS Vita's cross connect shit was sure fun! The only thing it can do is make it harder to develop on and even awkwarder to play. Just make another GameCube with a minimalist style and people will be happy. I used to play on consoles because of how seamless it was, but a game, put it in, and play. Now you boot up, select a profile, sign into online, find the game, and wait, it's tedious. I really wish it was better, because PC is now the smoothest but itsdistracting, playing on the console I can find myself playing all night, where I can enjoy myself for an hour on PC without browsing the Internet.

Nintendo has the advantage of not being known as the Blu-Ray player or the CoD machine.
Nintendo needs some quality assurance as well. Having a hundred Mario games doesn't help an actual good game get the hype it needs.
>>
File: 1445513226730.png (251 KB, 747x437) Image search: [Google]
1445513226730.png
251 KB, 747x437
>>323468130

>Trusting sites dependent on ad revenue to tell you what to play.
>>
>>323467247
>Games before Xenoblade
Mario Tennis, Mario Maker, Yoshi (a Mario spin-off), Captain Toad (another spin-off) before Splatoon. Let's not forget that Nintendo didn't even attempt to push Fatal Frame
>Next noteworthy game
Mario and Lugi Paper Jam
>>
>>323468328

Third parties don't have the power to collude and fuck over Nintendo. Nintendo could pull a gaben and make a marketplace for indie games. Sony and MS have tried to do the same as well, with some success.

Problem is, Nintendo is shit at selling and managing digital stores.
>>
>>323467506
There weren't really any "great" Wii U launch titles just like there weren't any "great" 3DS launch titles but I'm going to buy a NX anyway so I might as well buy it at launch.
>>
>>323468534

>at the end of the day it is stupidly good.

It's not as good when you realize that investors demand growth. No growth, especially in entertainment, means less money since everyone wants the next big thing. One of the reasons Hollywood is doing so well is because they found immense success selling to foreign markets.
>>
>>323468552
>Why do people see a console/handheld combo as a good thing?
Cause people see the sales in phone/handheld and figure it must be transferable

Same as idiots who keep saying android boxes will work yet every time they crash and burn super hard
>>
>>323467225
You are one naive mother fucker. Nintendo had their peak with the snes and from then on they just did stupid shit with their consoles. NX is going to fail because Nintendo never learn from their mistakes when it comes to consoles.
>>
>>323467225

You're the exact type of moron that also bought amibos from scalpers. You're what segafags use to be (back when they existed).
>>
>>323468552
> Just make another GameCube
The Gamecube was a failure. Nintendo cannot afford another failure. The Gamecube also had 3rd party support and an extremely low price point. Nintendo need to distance themselves from the competition which means they're going to aim for another player base entirely. Nintendo cannot compete with Sony and Microsoft anymore.
>>
>>323469138

>Nintendo cannot afford another failure.

But they just did.
>>
>>323469205
And they're in panic mode because of it.
>>
>>323469138
>The Gamecube also had 3rd party support
It had some support at the start and it trickled out into nothing over time. It released late and with a stupid disk format when dvds were coming in. Trying to spin this as more games not made by them so don't cost them on their system is silly.

> distance themselves from the competition which means they're going to aim for another player base entirely.
That worked once. This chasing the wii and trying to get lightning in a bottle again is what lead to the blunder wii. It bets on lucking out super hard or failing horribly
>>
>>323469302

Repeating the same mistake isn't the way to fix it.
>>
>>323469535
*blunder wiiu
>>
>>323469610
I didn't say they were going to fix it. I expect Nintendo to less relevant than Sega in 10 years.
>>323469535
That's what investors keep telling them but they won't listen. It's going to be a hilarious E3 if NX is another gimmick.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.