[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When is it acceptable to have a cliche story in a video game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: AAo47.png (25 KB, 521x462) Image search: [Google]
AAo47.png
25 KB, 521x462
When is it acceptable to have a cliche story in a video game?

People would play Ocarina of Time over and over again as long as it has some interesting characters and new puzzles, so why is that different than other games?

Why do people shit on games like Fire Emblem for the same thing? Same evil power taking over the world, with a ragtag bunch stopping them, but there's always a bunch of interesting characters and new maps.

Or something like Tales of games. Everyone always shits on it for the stories, when any thread you see will see people arguing about their favorite characters and talking about the gameplay.

pic maybe related
>>
>>323355708
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
>>323355708
>When is it acceptable to have a cliche story in a video game?
When the gameplay is good.
story doesn't matter
>>
>>323356721
i guess people just want to complain about everything, huh
>>
>>323355708
Marche did nothing wrong.
>>
>>323355708
>>323357080
Yes and no.

OoT is 90% at least of straight gameplay. You can skip most of the dialogue by cycling through it and paying just enough attention to say "no" when they ask you for a recap.

I haven't played Fire Emblem, but I can say for other story heavy games this isn't always an option. If 50% of a games runtime is dialogue then it's held to a higher standard.
>>
It's always ok because it all comes down to execution anyway. A good writer can still make a great story even with old ass tropes.

Games just tend to have shit writers that use cliches as a crutch.
>>
When it doesn't matter. It can be well told/written/presented, it could just be a formality to keep the game moving, it could have exceptionally well done characters.
If you're going to use a basic story that's been done to death, and you're not going to do anything with it, make sure the rest of the game is good.
>>
It's never acceptable for a story in any medium, not just video games. Better to try something new and original and possibly fail then to beat to death the same lousy cliches over and over again.
>>
File: 1438558130674.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1438558130674.png
246 KB, 550x535
I think it's acceptable now as humanity reach the peak of storytelling. We will never write a new story or concept without having a cliche anymore.
>>
>>323355708
Because Cliche is not what makes the story bad.

You're just too stupid to understand it.
>>
>>323360703
>without having a cliche
Except that is pretty much not fucking possible since ever.
>>
>>323363031
>Because Cliche is not what makes the story bad.
This desu, its only really bad when used as a crutch.
>>
>>323355708
When it's using it to make fun of them or not taking itself seriously. But a lot of people try this because they can't do a good story and fail.
When the story follows the cliche but has a good storytelling and doesn't make a fool of itself.
Or when the other game elements are just so damm good that the story doesn't matter.
>>
>>323355708
Always.

There is nothing wrong with cliches.
>>
>>323355708
I absolutely love FFTA and its story.
Clichés are ok if they don't make the game predictable and boring
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.