[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good RTS games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 23
File: warcraft3.jpg (196 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
warcraft3.jpg
196 KB, 750x563
Do they make games like this anymore?

Me and the squad wanna go gaming (4 people) on PC masterrace. But don't really know which game to do now.

Are there any good RTS's I should play?

already played to death:
>warcraft 3
>age of empires (all of them)
>rise of nations
>warhammer 40k
>company of heroes
>supreme commander

please no Dota games, we also did those.
>>
>>323419709
Tib Sun
>>
starcraft: brood war
>>
>>323419709
>Do they make games like this anymore?
No, they don't. The reason these games were so good is because back then, gaming companies for the most part were ran by passionate young developers who loved seeing people enjoy their games.

Today, gaming companies are mostly run by CEOs, investors and marketing executives who don't see a game or what it could be, they see wallets.

It's hard to blame them though, gamers just love eating up $60 games, DLC, early access, micro transactions, no matter how bad the game is or how bad the company's reputation is.
>>
>>323419762
sorry i forgot to mention the C&C games. played them all, one more than the other.
>>
>>323419709
Grey Goo is newer and is okay. It's nowhere near as good as the games played but you might enjoy it. RTS are dead because of the MOBA scene (people enjoy them for some reason).
>>
>>323419709
Some of these are more multiplayer focused than others so google them:

Rise of Nations
World in Conflict
Cossacks series + American Conquest
Starcraft series
Tiberian Sun and Tiberium Wars
Red Alert 2
Empire Earth series
Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon
Rise of Legends
Warlords Battlecry series (II best imo)
Men of War series
Blitzkrieg
>>
>>323419709
Age of Mythology
>>
File: 1448525237996.gif (1 MB, 483x364) Image search: [Google]
1448525237996.gif
1 MB, 483x364
>there will never be a game as comfy as warcraft 3 and vanilla wow
>>
>>323420247
>Cossacks series + American Conquest
>Blitzkrieg
This guy knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>323419709
Also RUSE is fun but playing pirated online is difficult
>>
File: 180685703.jpg (21 KB, 200x281) Image search: [Google]
180685703.jpg
21 KB, 200x281
maybe this?
>>
File: attila_cover.jpg (164 KB, 1600x929) Image search: [Google]
attila_cover.jpg
164 KB, 1600x929
this is really fun desu
ww2 edition when?
>>
How about the Wargame series?
>>
>>323421052
Its not a building RTS, also dont understand the appeal of it, I think only militaryboos like that game.
>>
go random in zero hours
>faggot always complaining when got GLA
>when im got GLA always BTFO them
fuck with gla stealth though
>>
Majesty
>>
>>323422438
This
>I'm meeeelting
>>
File: 1.jpg (279 KB, 592x926) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
279 KB, 592x926
How's Planetary Annihilation: TITANS

its on sale now for 11 euros
>>
star wars: galactic battlegrounds (aoe2 with star wars shit)

battle realms

command & conquer
>>
>>323421052
wargame is okay, then planes happened.

And while planes are cool, they basically turned the game into dice rolls, but people managed to figure out how to game that in ALB so it wasn't too bad. But in RD it's pretty much pure luck.

But honestly, casually the game is a lot of fun. the competitive element is just dead outside of poverty 1v1s imo.
>>
>>323419709
go look at warrior kings, the Battles expansion is enough
>>
>>323419709
>Do they make games like this any more?

Not so often. When internet became a big thing and competitive scenes started emerging you found that your game would be solved in like 2 weeks by seriously hardcore players, and then everyone would stop playing unless your game was seriously well made.
>>
>>323419709
C&C
>>
>>323420808
attila is not that good, its ok, but dont you dare to pick it up at full price
>>
Seven Kingdoms 2
>>
On a separate note, can you guys give some advice.

So I grew up playing on consoles and PC gaming has only recently (relatively) become a part of my life.
Due to not growing up with PC games, I never really played the RTS genre much.

Now in the recent years of PC gaming I've tried out games like Civ, Age of Empires, Command and conquer, Starcraft, Warcraft and total war.
And I have found to be terrible at all of them.
Seriously, I love the hell out of this genre but trying to play at an even moderate pace feels like pure autism to me.
My favorite part of the game is always the beginning, due to the fact that its slow and I like the building part of RTS games.
Because of this I'm mostly stuck to playing the campaign, because any average player is still fast enough to whipe the floor with me.
I find myself disregarding about 90% of all the shit I need to manage so I can focus on a single task, usually combat.
I can't grasp how the hell someone can keep track of all this shit. Mid game is already panic mode on my end.
I see the way people play online and they switch between things seamlessly. Yet when I wanna do something as simple as select a specific unit I clumsily struggle to get my mouse over the exact thing I want to click.
To be honest I can't honestly say I ever know wtf I'm doing. I just send my strongest units to do the heavy hitting and my weaker ones to slow down the enemy.
Even if I think of complex tactics in my head I don't have the dexterity to pull it off, i'll spend good minute just sending a unit somewhere, while forgetting about all the other shit I need to manage, then i'll just panic and fix the damage later.
TL;DR how the fuck do I even get OK at rts. I am literally in love with the genre but I am TERRIBLE at it, and I'm very good at video games in general.
>>
>>323420454
>tfw you'll never experience another good wintermaul

FUCKING GREY
>>
I personally preferred Starcraft over Warcraft.
>>
File: RangedHero.png (2 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
RangedHero.png
2 MB, 1280x1024
>>323419709
warlords battlecry 3
>>
>>323422567

Post her tits and I'll tell you.
>>
>>323423992
practice, learn hotkeys

you will be better over time, if not, then you might be simply stupid
>>
>>323419709
>and the squad
>>
>>323424150
Was gonna stream the starcraft campaign, but couldn't get it to work sadly.

One fullscreen plugin crashed after a few minutes everytime, and window mode was choppy.
>>
>>323424216
ok (on imgur cuz i dont want a ban)

https://imgur.com/a/jsQFM nsfw link
>>
any other games cool to do with 4 people other than RTS/FPS and MOBA ?
>>
File: BfmeIIbox.jpg (58 KB, 357x500) Image search: [Google]
BfmeIIbox.jpg
58 KB, 357x500
>No mentions of the GOAT RTS
>>
File: 354.jpg (36 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
354.jpg
36 KB, 680x684
>I wish there was some kind of AoE-style Red Alert 1
>>
>>323424150

Fuck off, Reddit.
>>
File: 5.jpg (252 KB, 595x925) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
252 KB, 595x925
>>323424216
>>323424356
her ass is better (because its not fake)
>>
Act of Aggression
Grey Goo
Age of Mythology?
Battle Realms
>>
>>323424513
StarCraft had bounds, I don't think Warcraft did.
>>
>>323419709
for the life of me I could never get into warcraft 3. Did'nt much care for the hero system.

Anyways AoE2 is doing surprisingly well. So you could get into that.

Would you consider dota 2 a worthy rts if you control all 5 heroes at once?
>>
>>323424216

noice.

It's half decent, it's a lot better than the vanilla that you can't buy anymore.

Can be a lot of fun if you play with friends or other people, however the devs didn't impliment a lot of things until they released the expansion and removed the og so that the new steam reviews would look good for them.

It's worth it when it's on sale as long as you have people to play with, I'm not sure about it's online community these days.
>>
>>323424540
that's a mirror.
>>
>>323424221
It's not because of low intellect.
There is a whole different meta to learning to git gud at RTS.
If it was just trial and error I'd be much better.
All I learn more about is the actual mechanics of the games, stats and what not.
But i think my entire approach to the game is off.
People play like they have their entire build up planned out. I take time to stop and read things, and then ponder what's a good idea or not. Unless you're telling me those players took the time to memorize every single god damn effect and can on the drop of a dime think of what's the best next thing to build due to their circumstance, there's something else to getting better at this.
Maybe I do just suck, but I refuse to accept it! I've had no problem with any other video game genre except RTS, no matter how difficult. It's unlike any other.
>>
>>323424540

Who the fuck even is she?
>>
>>323423992
It takes time. Just keep at it. I remember being fucking shit at 1v1 in Starcraft 2 when the beta started. But it was fun.
>>
>>323424741
Like what's a good RTS game that will be the best at helping an entry level player get better at RTS as a whole.
What game allows you to ease into RTS without being overwhelmed by everything, but also allowing you to quickly and effectively pick up all the necessary skills to git gud at RTS?
>>
File: 3.jpg (178 KB, 595x920) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
178 KB, 595x920
>>323424792
random girl i met on an app (called Fling). she is bi and i pretended to be a girl and she send me nudes.
Thats all i know
>>
>>323424872
Total anihilation
>>
>>323423992
>My favorite part of the game is always the beginning, due to the fact that its slow

All RTS games, no matter what, are about doing the initial build orders at the start of the match, correctly and as fast as possible. You need to have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of the race you're playing, that is, how to scout and expand while not neglecting your economy/army and defence. When I play, I have a mental check-list of these 4 things and I go through it every 5 minutes or so. You don't even need to have detailed plans in your head; just keep the main elements in mind, and the details (and speed) will come with practice and experience.

Mindgames and strategy will barely matter until you get actually good, because until you have a very firm grasp of all parts of the game, only then can you apply this knowledge to the actual 2-player game.

Supreme Commander is an excellent game that should teach you everything; and the community-made lobby/balance overhaul mod called Forged Alliance Forever works with pirated copies.
>>
>>323424912

Nice, I just nutted to that slut.

Post more?
>>
>>323424741
>People play like they have their entire build up planned out.

They do.

First step to sucking less. Decide what you want to do before the game starts, then just do it. Don't think, don't deviate, just do. Then make any alterations based on what happened after the game. When you're good at this and can switch into a different pre-planned build on the drop of a hat can you start worrying about adapting.
>>
>>323424912

How the fuck do you pretend to be a girl? Doesn't she catch on after you don't send any images?
>>
>>323424872
Starcraft is the only game with a sizable bad player base. Probably the best place for you to start, if you want to get better.

What's your apm?
>>
>>323425223
APM comes later, not before. Your APM increases when you know what to do without thinking about it.
>>
>>323425038
>>323424872
Also forgot to mention an important thing - forget all-out turtling. It's not going to work in most games.
By turtling you sacrifice your expansion, which means giving more resources to your opponent, who will out-number and out-research you and will render your defenses and army useless with said upgrades.
>>
Rage of Mages
WarBreeds
Dark Colony
Nox
Conquest: Frontier Wars
Steamlands
Vangers
The Golden Horde
Saga Rage of The Vikings
Atrox
Metal Fatigue
Achron
Dark Reign The Future Of War
Machines Wired For War
Transarctica
Supreme Commander
Submarine TITANS
Outlive
Maelstrom: The Battle for Earth Begins
Perimeter
Universe At War
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Genesis Rising: The Universal Crusade
Universe At War - Earth Assault
The Battle For Middle Earth
Company of Heroes
Red Alert
the entire Command and Conquer Series, yes even the Facebook game (said to be infinitely better than 4 and all the other Fb games out there)
Dawn of War series
Act Of War
Warcraft [entire series except WoW, not RTS]
Age Of Empires
Age Of Mythology
Starcraft [entire series]
Dune [all the Dune games]
Rise Of Nations
Rise Of Legends
Stronghold: Crusader
Aliens Versus Predator: Extinction [PS2/XBox]
Halo Wars [X360]
>>
>>323419709
>2016
>still not webm with sound on 4chan
ahahaha
https://u.pomf.is/ptqlvg.webm
>>
>>323424930
God damn it, it was on sale a few weeks ago!
Would it have trouble running on slightly modern PCs? I've heard that it's the greatest RTS EVER.
But due to sucking at RTS, I have no fucking clue exactly why.
>>323425038
>You need to have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of the race you're playing, that is, how to scout and expand while not neglecting your economy/army and defence.
This right fucking here is what kills me. It doesn't help that I can barely remember the hotkeys, my dexterity isn't fast/accurate enough to press them without making a mess.
But seriously. How do you guys do it. I'll see you click on a scout or something, send him somewhere, then you'll do a hundred other things before checking back on that scout for a fraction of a second. And he's doing exactly what you want him to be doing.
Is it really just practicing over and over? I would believe this if it weren't for how hard it is to even notice that you're getting better. The more I think I have nailed down the more I notice I haven't been keeping track of.
>>323425093
See this sounds like shit that would require a good couple double digits of gameplay hours to even be able to do.
Logically, a video game should never take so long to be normal at, and i doubt most people who play RTS took so long to become moderate at it.
i've noticed it's either a complete swing or miss with people. They either are good at RTS, and can be extremely good, or they are absolute trash. A rarely see a middle ground (or at least, to me, anyone that isn't awful at RTS is a korean starcraft player.)
>>323425223
APM? Actions per minute?
Fuck if i know, embarrassingly low I assume.
Let me just give you a picture of how I play this shit.
Imagine your grandma trying to use the basic windows features. That slow yet focused, mouse drag.

My hand isn't in position, ready to strike any key that I need at any time, I don't know where the fuck to keep my hands
>>
>>323425668
there is on /gif/ and /wsg/ , you are factually wrong
>>
File: battle-realms-wallpaper.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
battle-realms-wallpaper.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
>Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf
Generally great

>Heroes of Annihilated Empires
The absolute definition of a hidden gem, same devs of Cossacks

>Sins of a Solar Empire
RTS mixed with 4X gameplay.

>Magic & Mayhem
Different to other RTS games. You control a single Wizard that gets spells to summon things like Hellhounds or Skeletons and to create lightning storms. My all-time favourite game.
>>
>>323425791
>Is it really just practicing over and over?
Yes.

>require a good couple double digits of gameplay hours
Nigger, in competitive games, you're absolute shit until 150-200 hours. And even then you're just a beginner.
>>
>>323425791
>See this sounds like shit that would require a good couple double digits of gameplay hours to even be able to do.

Not really. Just go "I want to make some units and attack early" and do that. You don't need to be optimised it'll be ahead of people on your level that aren't doing that.

Optimisation comes naturally. Like you'll just discover these timings. to give you an example from terran in wings of liberty.

You sent your SCV to build your supply depot at 9 supply it arrived by 10, it finished it just in time to stop you getting supply capped. Then you had enough spare resources while making workers constantly to make a barracks.

It just comes naturally when you play.
>>
>>323425141
I sent images from another random girl
>>
>>323425532
this to be honest family
>>
File: apm.png (45 KB, 1200x719) Image search: [Google]
apm.png
45 KB, 1200x719
>>323425791
Muscle memory is a thing. You don't sound like you use the minimap well.

>Imagine your grandma trying to use the basic windows features. That slow yet focused, mouse drag.
>My hand isn't in position, ready to strike any key that I need at any time, I don't know where the fuck to keep my hands

Are you using a rollerball mouse?

You can play starcraft, and there's a on screen button that selects every army unit. You can win games in bronze with that.

But you really need to get a decent APM to ever be decent.

In starcraft there's a 4v4 mode. So even if you're bad, you can still last a while in the game. Just play terran and go mass marines.
>>
>>323425791
Pirate it, play the campaign/spoiler], move up to supremme commander FA,
>>
File: 7.jpg (201 KB, 599x925) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
201 KB, 599x925
>>323425075
haha nice!

anyway i got 2 more
>>
File: 6.jpg (256 KB, 593x921) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
256 KB, 593x921
>>323425075
>>
>>323427518

nice m8. you should meet up and nut in that bitch.

VIDYA.
>>
>>323427596
too bad i dont really know her. chatted bout an hour with her thats it. she was from UK and i'm not

halo still best game of 2015 /v/
>>
File: supcomFA.webm (3 MB, 760x760) Image search: [Google]
supcomFA.webm
3 MB, 760x760
>>
>>323424068
>join last
>get to play as grey
>tell them im new to this map
>get no kills
>have no towers for air
>people leak
>i get the blame

I fucking hate people.
>>
>>323427989
>com in t1 transport
Is that a replay from the GPG era?
>>
>>323422567
This game is scam.
>>
B A T T L E R E A L M S
A
T
T
L
E

R
E
A
L
M
S
>>
>>323419709
>>323423096
>>
>>323429082
>>
File: relic00061.jpg (718 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
relic00061.jpg
718 KB, 1280x800
Is there any rts better for screenshots than Dawn of War?
>>
File: 766959-928861_20061121_004[1].jpg (392 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
766959-928861_20061121_004[1].jpg
392 KB, 1280x960
>>323429248
>>
File: relic00015.jpg (694 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
relic00015.jpg
694 KB, 1280x800
>>323429683
Cool, but the suffering of infantry is what rts is really about.
>>
>>323422567

Pretty rubbish. The sphere map gimmick is awful.

Otherwise it's TotalA but with zero charm and none of the crunchy visual and audio design.
>>
is there an RTS that allows for gigantic battles like supcom but actually has infantry?
>>
>>323430051
Dawn of War: Ultimate Apocalypse Mod can get pretty insane.
>>
>tfw now mass effect RTS

I would give anything to play as Reapers and going from system to system fucking shit up, with space battles on outer atmosphere and classic style RTS base building for surface missions, building those stinger fuckers to create humanoid zambies and shit, indoctrinating people, would be so fucking rad.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.