[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am completely unfamiliar with this series. Tell me why this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16
File: Dragon_Age_2_cover.jpg (62 KB, 256x339) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Age_2_cover.jpg
62 KB, 256x339
I am completely unfamiliar with this series.

Tell me why this game makes people so mad.
>>
>>323408746
I recommend you start with the first one and then find out yourself once you move onto part 2.
>>
they scraped the only good thing about DA:O
the Origins
+The game itself was gimped in the mechanics and it lacked content.
DA:O was clearly designed to be a PC game
D2 is a console game
>>
>>323408746
Retcons, lore-rape and character assassination.
The plot relies on everyone being incredibly stupid and reactive.
Took away some pretty big choices (i.e. race selection at character creation, voice etc) to "tell a personal story" at which it completely and utterly failed.
Dumbed the combat right the fuck down removed fun spell combos and made the combat dreadful and tedious, dropping wave after wave after wave after wave after wave of enemies at you in the most retarded manner possible.
Dialog wheel and voiced protagonist.
Incredibly blatant, badly executed reuse after reuse of all the same maps. You don't know how fucking jarring it gets.
The entire third act.
The game's tale is one of rise to the position of power known as the 'Champion' allegedly, but you never really have choices or get to define what sort of champion you are or what you do at all.
Nobody bothered to make old characters look like they did in the first game.
This sequel of the first game manages to look far, far worse than Origins did and has a general case of Consolitis (and who could forget the AWESOME BUTTON).
A city that's supposed to be a massive, sprawling trading hub is a small, claustrophobic place where the day-night cycle is handled with a fucking switch on the map, it is also next to abandoned.
The game's DLC is more relevant to the series than DA2 itself.

I'd agree with >>323408893 on principle, but I would not recommend you play this heap of shit at all. Play Origins and its expansion, then pretend the series ended there. If you are still curious about the rest, watch a silent Let's Play of it or something.
>>
Play Origins, then play 2
>>
>>323408893
>>323409948
What about Inquisition?
>>
>>323410340
Inquisition is even more of an offline MMO than the rest of the series. Except they limit the number of slottable skills to 8, and the k+m controls are so fucking atrocious you pretty much have to plug in a controllers.
People say that a lot of bullshit things they don't like belongs on tumblr and I don't like to sound like them, but fuck it, all your party members are designed with a genuine hatred for the classical RPG audience in mind, from looks to lines to every other aspect of them feeling like they came from some spiteful feminist self-hating nu-male. It's hard to put into words, but it's all incredibly disgusting and wrong, I have never seen a party composed entirely of unlikeable pretentious cunts.
I can't tell you much about the story because I dropped the game a few hours in, but from what I've seen it's incredibly contrived and cheap.
Incidentally there was one incredibly silly thing that the console version of DA2 forced players to do: to perform an auto-attack you had to keep pressing a button all the time. You'd think they would discard this stupid measure the first chance they get, but nope, even on keyboard PC users have to do it. Gameplay with a mage is literally just pressing that button over and over again, waiting for the cooldown on your spells (most of the fun ones that survived the purge between Origins and 2 were pruned out this time, all you have is magic missiles and mines of various elements, at least in the early gameplay).

On the upside everyone expected Inquisition to be absolute garbage so there was no sense of betrayal, in fact what we got was a kind of pleasant surprise when it turned out it was merely low tier mediocre.
There are some large areas where you can pick flowers and farm influence points so you can progress the main story, kind of the same way as the point system 'worked' in ME3 from what I could tell.
There's a stronghold you can build and customise too, but I never got that far with it.
>>
>>323410340
>>323411136
Oh, and on PC you either pirate or have to use Origin (EA's Steam-wannabe service that allegedly spies on you).
>>
>>323410340
I don't like it either, but I may be biassed because I don't like Open World games
>>
>>323409948
What got retconed
>>
>>323411710
It would ignore some of the choices that were supposed to carry over from the frist game.

Like characters that could die or not being alive no matter what.
>>
>>323411265
Sucks for you lots of games are becomeing open world
>>
All the Dragon Age games are bad, it's just that Origins pretended to pay lip service to "old school RPG fans" and had the novelty of no other games in that style having come out for a few years so people were desperate.

DA2 didn't even pretend, that's all.
>>
>>323411832
Use that dragon age keep thing
>>
>>323408746
Before starting discussion about specific games, especially relatively old, not 40653GB big and easily pirate-able(if not bought for $1 in the first place) it's good idea to play them first.

You would know the answer if you did it.
>>
>>323411864
Epic meme
>>
>>323411225
>Oh, and on PC you either pirate or have to use Origin (EA's Steam-wannabe service that allegedly spies on you).
Steam spies on you too, but I understand your concern about limiting the amount of botnets you have on your computer from around 20 to 19.
>>
>>323410340

I didn't play Inquisition because 2 was so horrible it killed my interest in the series.
>>
>>323411710
Leliana's death.
Anders even being in Kirkwall in the first year, then continuing to be there for ten years when six months after the Blight ended was when he got recruited AND if you did things right it's said he sticks with them and trains the new generations of the Wardens for decades. Plus his entire character was rewritten, but that's more in the assassination section.
The ancient dwarves the plot device red lyrium is created/found by is far older than what we got in Origins which is fair enough, but they have a bunch of Golems around which we know should not have existed for thousands of years.
Enemy mages teleport casually in combat where it is one of the first explicitly stated rules of magic that teleportation can't be done.

There's a whole bunch of discrepancies and it's been ages, but these are what I had on the top of my head.
>>
>>323412060
He is right.

There was absolute drought when it comes to party-based RPG's back then with the only exception beign NWN2 and addons(on top of shovelware like Drakensang) which may have had decent story(addons) but were absolutely atrocious games to play. DA:O was playable when compared to them but still pretty bad.
>>
File: 1425135040910.jpg (161 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1425135040910.jpg
161 KB, 1000x1200
>>323408746

It's a bad game, it being a bad sequel it's completely irrelevant in my opinion.

And when i say bad i don't mean "Fallout 4 bad" or "battlefront bad" those are just mediocre games. This game, is genuinely bad in every way imaginable, the combat is bad, the plot is bad, the story is bad, the characters are bad(with like 2 exceptions at most), the rpg elements are bad, the graphics are bad, the art design is bad and uninspired, the level design(lol) is bad, i don't remember any music from the game so i'm sure the soundtrack was bad too.

And of course there are a lot of things regarding lore and existing characters that were raped. If there is 1 positive thing i can say about this game is that i liked maybe one armor set in it and i guess some animations looked cool, that's it.
>>
People are upset because the first game was actually good. They had high hopes for the series.
>>
>>323413015

just like every good games that have sequel?

everyone do have high expectation if the 1st series is good
>>
>>323408746

2 is pretty heavily flawed (like the anons in this thread have said) but i liked it for the idea that it had of being set in a single city for a long period of time and getting to see it grow. But it misses the mark massively and i mainly like it for what it was trying to do if that makes sense. Couldnt Finish Inquisition, felt like a single player MMO and the war table missions were shit and made me feel like i had zero actual control of the inquisition and couldnt use it to influence politics or anything interesting
>>
>>323411136
>to perform an auto-attack you had to keep pressing a button all the time
Actually, there is an option to change it from button mashing to holding. It default is mashing and trust me, it actually plays much better with mashing.
>>
File: 1452245933067.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1452245933067.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>323408746

The first game was very good. Good story, great gameplay, pretty tactical with many viable options/styles, enough story and stuff going on for you to want to keep going.

This game is (very?) bad, doesn't take the good elements from the first and is generally uninspired all round (see >>323412652)

Inquisition is fairly nice looking, plays fairly well, some characters are a bit gay as fuck, story is meh. worth buying on sale? My main problem was the health: the 'difficulty' is increased by enemies having insane health bars and your team being super squish. I'm pretty sure I wasn't just being a bad player but it's possible. Anyone confirm?

There's a short run down for you.
>>
>>323413814
>Inquisition is fairly nice looking, plays fairly well
The combat is worse than 2.
>>
>>323413863
I felt you could a bit more in Inq than 2
>>
>>323408746
So the game is split into 3 acts. Throughout the first 2 there is quests that give context to the overarching plot of Templars (protect/contain Mages) and Mages.

What it actually results in is the mages doing shitty things and generally being hard to agree with, it comes to a head in the third act when one of your companions blows up a chapel and any chance of mediation. This same companion is established in the previous game as an almost completely different person and whose grand act of terrorism is also hilarious out of character.

So this destruction gives reason to the now insane leader of the Templars to go kill all the mages. Regardless of if you back the Templars or Mages, the Mages turn into this mass of flesh and you fight them. Note that this happens even if you side with them.

tl;dr: the game tries to set up to be muh mages yet just shows our retarded they are.
>>
>>323413169
The series nosedived and went a completely different direction. If it wasn't a Dragon Age sequel, people would just have ignored it and forgotten about it, but because it's a sequel to a game they enjoyed, they talk about how they hate it.
>>
File: 1300373197818.jpg (266 KB, 504x520) Image search: [Google]
1300373197818.jpg
266 KB, 504x520
>>323408746

Because it's horrible, i genuinely think it's one of the worst games ever made and i am not exagerating, i would put it in the same league as games like superman 64 and Too Human. It is so bad, in every way imaginable it's incomprehensible that this is supposed to be a triple A game.

People always say games like Bethesda games, Call of Duty, Assassin's creed and so on and so forth are shit, but when compared to Dragon Age 2 they are gems. To be honest i can't even find the words to say how shit i think this game is and thankfully i don't remember much of it, but let me try and explain a couple of the things i do remember.

So, the game is divided in to 3 "chapters", the first one dealing with your character making a living in this new city after escaping from the blight. The second chapter deals with the "invasion" of a new culture in this city as the Qunari arrive and set up camp in the docks, your character is now sort of an influential member in society and you have to engage in politics with the Qunari, this chapter is the one part of the game where the story gets close to being good, the Qunari are genuinely interesting and their leader is an actual character.

The third chapter deals with the overall theme of the game, which is Templars vs Mages. Mages in the Dragon Age series are dangerous, sort of like Psykers in Warhammer, Demons are real in Dragon Age and a very real threat and mages can consort with them, they draw their power from their dimension and so on and so fort. So, because Mages are so dangerous, they are guarded in towers by Templars, knights who are specialized in fighting mages.

The premise of the story, is that mages are oppressed slaves and templars are extremist assholes, that is the idea and it's obvious that the game wants you to feel sorry for the mages.

cont.
>>
>>323414195
>Too Human
I liked Too Human.
>>
I can't believe people actually finished the game. I uninstalled after 2 hours because there was nothing redeeming about it.
>>
File: 1300210423230.jpg (59 KB, 300x372) Image search: [Google]
1300210423230.jpg
59 KB, 300x372
>>323414195

So you're supposed to feel sorry for the mages, however, every single fucking mage you encounter in the game is literally a demon fucking blood gushing piece of shit. An entire quest in the game is dedicated to a mage making some weird frankeinstein like monster out of your mother's corpse. There is exactly one decent mage in the game, and that is their leader, Orsino.

Or so you would think, at the end of the game you are meant to decide, side with the mages, orside with the templars. But regardless of who you side with, the leader of the mages, Orsino, turns into a giant demon monster so he can punch you to death. Oh and SPOILERS Orsino helped the psycopath mage that turned your mom's corpse into a monster.

Another thing i remember, is that there is one section in the game where you go to the "fade" the dreamlike realm where demons reside, you are told over and over how dangerous it is and in the end you get to decide what party members to bring, now, knowing that Demons are cunning and horrible creatures i decided to bring party members who either hated demons or knew about demons, ie, people that wouldn't be victims or prey to Demons. Well too bad, because at one point you meet a Demon who pretty much goes "hey you guys, don't stick with that dude his shit's all wack, join me and together we can kill him" and both your party members turn against you regardless of who you bring with you. I mean, the demon didn't even TRY to convince them, he barely gives them a reason to side with him and they just do.

Another thing i remember being bad is the new design of the Darkspawn, the Darkspawn are the Orc-like Ancient Evil awakens villain from DA:O, in the first game they looked fairly uninspired but they looked good, in this game they look like gay retarded hobos, i don't even know how to describe them.
>>
>>323414195
>>323414510
word.

too human was my fucking jam

also i really liked how it was literally just norse mythology but with robots and power swords
>>
>>323414728
Undeniably a pretty crap game, but for what it was it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>323414195
is qunari lore the most raped lore in a videogame series ever?
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-10+at+01.39.53).jpg (85 KB, 325x595) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-10+at+01.39.53).jpg
85 KB, 325x595
>>323414636

And i almost forgot about the reused caves and levels. Imagine if in Skyrim every single cave you entered was the same, and i don't mean "looks" the same, or "feels" the same. No, i mean literally the same. There is(if i remember correctly) 1 cave level in the entire game and whenever you go there it's exactly the same, you just SOMETIMES entered from different places.

Of course, you don't go to the "cave" for every single quest or mission or whatever, but whenever you go to a cave(which you do a lot) it's the exact same cave.

And here's a picture i found comparing the 2 darkspawn, the top one is from DA:O. Why did they redesign them? I don't know, but it sure as hell wasn't a positive change.

There are a million other things wrong with this game but those are the ones that stick out to me.

>>323414728
>>323414510

> i really liked how it was literally just norse mythology but with robots and power swords

I wanted to like it, but i couldn't. I also wanted to like DA2, but i couldn't.
>>
>>323414953
>1st game: women and men have their set roles, blah blah blah deepest lore
>2nd game: ??? I blacked out most of it because it was so bad.
>3rd game: oh the qun is totally down with trannies :^) women can be men and vice versa and if you disagree you're a cis bigot
>>
>>323415224
isnt the qun leader in the inquisition DLC a female? i havent played it
>>
>>323415349
No idea, I never finished inquisition after pirating it (still felt like I got cheated even though I stole it) and didnt bother with the DLC. I didnt even know there was any.
>>
holy shit they turn into full SJW huh
>>
File: 1300150791079.jpg (440 KB, 740x832) Image search: [Google]
1300150791079.jpg
440 KB, 740x832
>>323414970
That's an ogre my friend. Have some of the more common darkspawn and the difference between Origins and 2.
>>
>>323415398
Dorian in inquisition is the first FULLY GAY character ever.

Someone post the gaider colesteel edit.
>>
File: 1308601878093.jpg (32 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1308601878093.jpg
32 KB, 500x400
>>323415451
>>
File: 1308601795359.jpg (29 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1308601795359.jpg
29 KB, 500x400
>>323415451
Really terrible design that was perfectly fine before they messed with it.
>>
>>323415495
them advertising the game with that fact was the only intrusive thing about it though surprisingly enough the character itself was actually pretty well written
>>
File: Disciples.png (796 KB, 910x775) Image search: [Google]
Disciples.png
796 KB, 910x775
>>323415451
Hm, isn't the DA2 Darkspawn design the same as the The Disciples from Awakening?
>>
>>323408746
>bioware creates dragon age origins
>its ok game
>people receive it warmly but there are flaws
>dragon age 2 comes out
>its fucking garbage that doesn't even resemble origins in any way
>people find it so disgusting they start glorifying origins as best rpg ever made
>dragon age 3 comes out
>its dragon age 2.5 basically
>people begin to claim origins was a gift from god himself
>>
File: colesteel.png (56 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
colesteel.png
56 KB, 780x770
>>323415495
>>
Play the first one and find out.
>>
>>323415742
Some cold meat will look pretty tasty when the alternatives are a turd and some vomit.
>>
File: The_Architect's_Profile.jpg (308 KB, 796x714) Image search: [Google]
The_Architect's_Profile.jpg
308 KB, 796x714
Don't mind me, just being irrelevant.
>>
File: disciples-01.jpg (270 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
disciples-01.jpg
270 KB, 1600x900
>>323415675
the mail hood is basically the only thing that's the same
>>
>>323415675
There's some similarity, but the armour is remarkably different and there's a lack of detail.

The Disciples also were not the darkspawn that were rolling over Lothering during the events of Origins, where Hawke fled from at the beginning of 2.
>>
File: TheArchitect.png (348 KB, 400x780) Image search: [Google]
TheArchitect.png
348 KB, 400x780
>>323415987
>all the hanging plot threads from origin's expansions were completely dropped or given small irrelevant mentions
>>
>>323415224
Stop overreacting no lore was raped

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvIFm6sNrxU

It looks like you are the one with the problem
>>
>>323415495
A guy in mkx is gay What's the problem
>>
Eh, it was sorta alright.

It was really obviously rushed. But mostly disappointing, lackluster, with a couple good ideas shining through here and there.
>>
>>323415595
>Jacob: Now with Magic and Faggotry!
>well written
lel, no. the best part was that his dad issues werent even justified at all, and he came off looking like a massive nigger
>>
>>323415987
If you didn't kill him he might show up later What's the problem
>>
>>323416331

Christ the changes to the quinari are so fucking bad. They could have done something interesting with the fact that Bull belongs to a society where the collective is everything and so his sexuality might conflict (or something not so cliche). rather than making everthing into a Fucking Hugbox where all society is nice they could've actually made a fucking effort
>>
>>323416621
If you want some super gritty shit go play the The witcher
>>
>>323416854

>wanting an actual interesting world that makes an effort to tell stories rather than a world where Everyone is 'equal and nobody questions anything Just like real life will be XD' is bad
>>
>>323417058
He did say IF and had a Talent for fighting thay can be one
>>
>>323408746
Best thing about it is the combat if you crank it up to the highest difficulty - DA:O was too easy on any difficulty. Everything else is worse than DA:O.
>>
>>323411710
The Qunari.
>>
>>323418049
Nothing was bull said if a woman has the Talent for being a a fighter thay can be one pay attention idiot
>>
>>323408746
I'm suddenly reminded that The Escapist first rated this game 10/10.
>>
>militaristic somewhat fascist society
>becomes basicly group of upset CIS SCUM DIE activists
how are qunari so progressive? we can learn from them
>>
>>323418681
What
>>
>>323418681
It's like how muslims execute homosexuals but also they all fuck little boys.
>>
>>323408746
It was a JRPG.
>>
>>323418541
I guess you missed half the DA:O party banter where Sten found the idea of female warriors ridiculous.
Or that Qunari couldn't change their path. A merchant can never become a fighter.

There's no "if they show talent for something else they can change." They are given their path at a very young age and they stick to it.
>>
>>323418628

>those review scores for Inquisiton

I have no idea how they rated it so high. Must have projected something onto it themselves like that review (IGN maybe?) which talks about how complex the Religious side is and how it asks you to express your views. Mostly bollocks
>>
People who hated this game hates fun. The game itself was great. It carved out a great world away from Tolkein's influence.
>>
>>323418871
The writer who wrote Krem tweeted this in response to that criticism "Sten's Qun WAS stricter, because he was a sten. Bull's viewpoint comes from Ben-Hassrath, part of priesthood, more shades of gray"
>>
>>323418984
Also when you a press a button, something awesome happens. Button, awesome, connected now in dragon age 2.
>>
>>323419129
So basically a retcon.
>>
>>323418871
Bull said the same thing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ia7m5drN94
>>
>>323419129

That just sounds like retcon.
>>
>>323419256
You don't know what a retcon is do you
>>
>>323419369
Bull was a spy what do you think
>>
>>323408746
DA2 in a nutshell:

"We're so tired of these Templars accusing us of being abominations and treating us like sh- fuck this, ABONIMATION TIME!"
>>
>>323419642
A perfect mirror to real life groups who say the same thing.
>>
>>323419642

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOixZZa897U
>>
"I'm the king of Ferelden!"

Go home Alistair, you're drunk.
>>
>>323419807
Great fucking plan, Anders.

Let's blow up the only person in power that supports mages.
>>
File: Bestlion.jpg (19 KB, 450x336) Image search: [Google]
Bestlion.jpg
19 KB, 450x336
>>323419912
>>323419807

blow up the chantry. RADICALISE THE MODERATES
>>
>>323419912
What kills me is that he blows up the Chantry, kills the biggest supporter for mages, and then the fucking head mage is an abomination as well as like 90% of the other mages in Kirkwall.

The Templars are assholes, but they have the right of it, mages need to be kept under watch, because apparently being possessed by demons for more power is the first option they turn to.
>>
>>323422805
vivienne please go
>>
>>323408746
>Tell me why this game makes people so mad.

It doesn't make me mad, it makes me sad. DA:O was no masterpiece, but it showed promise. A sequel should have improved on its many shortcomings. Instead, they shat it out in an 18-month development cycle, and it took a step (or three) back in literally every area. It was also short, ugly, and ran poorly on even godly machines for the time.

In retrospect, it's emblematic of everything that is wrong with how EA does business. BioWare died forever after DA:O hit.
>>
File: 1419669480351.jpg (106 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1419669480351.jpg
106 KB, 400x400
>>323412107
>limiting the amount of botnets you have on your computer
>botnets... on your computer
>>
anyone watch that AGDQ da:o speedrun? pretty good stuff

everyone was complaining because he basically glitched his way through the game.. but personally i don't see a problem with it
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.