[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aspiring horror game designers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 36
File: 0.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
Post your ideas for horror games
and listen to ours.
Listen to this, An alternate reality in which the United States remained stuck in the Great Depression. Because of this Germany was able to conquer the European continent. The Germans have been able to advance their power and technology further than the rest of the world. With their knew power They plan to take out the remaining world powers. Using new chemical warfare and advanced biological programs. You play as an English medic making your way through the battlefield helping people in your own unit and others. going through trenches and fox holes you'll catch small glimpses of creatures that later pick off members of your unit. eventually you'll get to a small concentration camp that with further exploration you find is a Nazi laboratory where they are doing all the fucked up shit that Nazis do to create super soldiers. the enemy encounters will be escaped failed experiments. their is a lot more about the gameplay but I wanna here your thoughts and your own ideas.
>>
>First person.
>You're in an asylum.
>Armed with only 3 types of pistols, a shotgun, an assault rifle, grenades, and a minigun
>Spooky enemies that look like zombies, but they're INFECTED.
>Jumpscares out the wazoo
>Establish vague lore that's never expanded upon in implied later games that never happen.
>Game ends, you were the bad guy the whole time.
What do you think?
>>
File: 1451861343697.jpg (102 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1451861343697.jpg
102 KB, 500x332
sounds like doom dude. fairly generic but has potential. >>323263392
>>
>>323263785
>fairly generic
I was going for extremely generic
>>
>>323262698
A horror game where every time you die an additional monster will spawn with some sort of horrifying variation.
>>
>>323263897
Why? You're supposed to be creative.
>>
>>323263392
I misread that as assault rifle, shotgun, and minigun were the 3 types of guns.
Laughed a bit since I thought the weapon type escalated so quickly
>>
>you're a
>deep
>sea
>explorer
>>
>>323264228
He was trying to be silly.
>>
>>323264702
>deep sea
top spook
>>
>>323264702

This.
I would pay full price for this.
>>
File: 1312822078954.jpg (31 KB, 383x409) Image search: [Google]
1312822078954.jpg
31 KB, 383x409
>>323264702
>>
>>323264702
>you're a
>deep
>sea
>>
>>323262698
an anthology series of short scary games released one after the other made by different developers each time

the problem with horror games these days is that the longer the games get the more stale they become and boring also. if they are short and don't overstay their welcome they can be pretty great.
>>
>>323264702
for you
>>
I had an idea the other day

What if the movie Aliens was done as a Resident evil styled game?
>>
>>323264702

This. There is no good deep-sea horror game in existence. Some use elements, but mix in unnecessary sci-fi and aliens. The sea is fucking scary in itself. The best sea-themed horror games are not even horror games, like Ecco.
>>
>>323263392
>First person.
>You're in an asylum.
stopped reading right there
>>
>>323269721
>>323264702
yo for real this
fit it with a comfy but eerie soundtrack
fucking done
>>
>>323269721
the game already exists guys its called soma
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbn-VEl67g

Something like this
>>
>>323271042
skip to 1:31

I just want to have to escape from an octopus-skull-god that has been the building the entire time
>>
>>323264228
Hes a silly billy thats why
>>
>>323271174
I want the mist to roll like retracting spiderlegs, I want my vision to be obscured by eyes upon eyes. I want to be terrified and awed in equal measure, I want to sympathise with the cultists who want to feed their terrible master. I want the friend who has been helping me the entire time to be revealed to be a horrifying fleshpuppet all along.
I want a harrowing experience. I want lovecraft meets Spec Ops but where no decision is forced and madness reigns! Rwylah wahh shu terras
>>
>>323267264

That's actually pretty cool, I can totally imagine that.

Other themes in that format would be neat period.
>>
Do you all know about the Philadelphia Experiments?
>>
>>323272124
wut
>>
>>323262698
You realize the US was still in the Great Depression throughout WWII, right?
>>
>>323272124
some /x/ tier hoax?
>>
>>323271465
Nothing to gunnzie. We want a story where you feel helpless at times and with mystery elements.
>>
You're a kid in some kind of surreal bigger-on-the-inside house. You have no weapons, only a flashlight and some matches. You have to reach the center of the house to rescue your teddy bear. Sight is an important gameplay mechanic, with some creatures killing you if you look at them and others if you don't look at them, so you have the ability to both close your eyes or force yourself not to blink.
>>
A game where you play as the s spoopy locale
>>
>>323272393
Playing Outlast, I decided I hate not being able to fight back.

On paper, the feeling of helplessness or whatever sounds good, and maybe it's just me, but implemented in a game it's just tedious. The entire time I'm not having fun and am just stressed something is going to pop out and there's nothing I can do to avoid getting killed and lose all my progress.

Maybe it's just Outlast, I dunno. I really hate that camera/darkness shit. The entire time I'm just worrying about saving batteries and not enjoying the game.
>>
>>323272198
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

The project has some good ideas. Some can be implemented in our story.
>>323272296
Well ww2 helped to end the great depression in the us. The war allowed war time business that boosted the economy. Imagine a weak America that has been overcome by the Japanese on the west cost and can't support the Allies. Similar to Wolfestein.
>>
>>323272651
I do that already in real life.
>>
>>323264702
yep
>>
A puzzle-horror where you're a human lab volunteer for a new device that can probe human minds. However it goes wrong, you're trapped in someone's mind and you have to solve puzzles to navigate his twisted mind, all while his monsters from his imagination hunt you, and his brain is going haywire from being invaded by you. There will be multiple puzzle difficulties and lots of flashback segments of the someone's life where you have to interpret what their life was like before.
>>
>>323272936
The Philadelphia Project is real. I know because I was teleported to the future.
>>
I'd like to see something with giants. Like actual massive things that make you feel like a mouse facing a cat. They could be deathly silent and stalk above you, waiting for you to look up at them.

I think the giant could only work if it were fully physics animated though. Things like squeezing trees and buildings or reaching into buildings for you will feel terribly scripted otherwise.
>>
File: 1451880219407.jpg (48 KB, 600x484) Image search: [Google]
1451880219407.jpg
48 KB, 600x484
>>323272802
The appeal of Outlast was the helpless hiding and clever ways to evade enemies. Here, our idea is to have the player fire his weapon at the creature, and watch in horror as it keeps coming with renewed bloodlust. In outlast the boss characters were more clever and scary. the base guys I imagined fighting against because they couldn't one shot you.

A combat system I think is crucial in a horror game because once you realize you cant fight back it all just adds us to a win or fail state while with a combat system there is a struggle between and you feel and know you have the power to overcome, a combat system keeps you playing.
>>
>>323273691
>A combat system I think is crucial in a horror game because once you realize you cant fight back it all just adds us to a win or fail state while with a combat system there is a struggle between and you feel and know you have the power to overcome, a combat system keeps you playing.
thanks for articulating my thoughts for me
>>
Any Steam recommendations that are horror-related that isn't Outlast?
>>
I would love for a new wave in the horror genre where jumpscares are limited to abou one per game. Instead trying to create a scary atmosphere with monsters too strong to fight. A stealth game where the player can get fucked if seen, basically. It doesn't have to be flashes, loud music and a jump. It is equally, if not much more scary with some psychotic scary shit. Like highway lost'themed.
>>
A first person shooter about Lovecraftian mythology and World War One.
>>
Horror turn based RPG in space
>>
>>323273952
>A first person shooter
stopped reading right there
>>
>>323274013
Turn based would remove any form of "danger" to be fair, as there is no specific pressure to handle a situation, unless the turns are timed
>>
>>323274105
There's a way to do it. Sweet Home proves that it's possible
>>
>>323262698
I want a game like The Last Shift after watching that shit. It felt like a combination of Hell Raiser and Silent Hill. Something that unapologetic-ally wants to break me.

So i guess kinda like a Silent Hill that actually tries to kill you and fuck with you instead of the norm where it mostly just seems like its teaching you a lesson.
>>
A horror game where all the scares are based on glitches, cheating, and "removed" content.

Stuff like noclipping into the skybox getting you attacked by an even larger monster in nullspace, or odd, unfinished models that have a different art/graphical style appearing.
>>
Super mindfuck game where you visit a small country town full of colorful characters. Said characters change over time the longer you stay there, usually in a negative way. Eventually you find out the town's water supply is dodgy with parasites that fuck people shit up. Parasites are planted by Ayy Lmaos. Ayy Lmaos are actually the Illumnati in disguise. The lovely old lady who served you breakfast in the hotel you stayed at is one of the head honchos. During the credits, you can actually turn around and walk off (turns out you were watching the credits 1st person view on a projector in a dark room). If you do this you discover the twist ending, you were lead on a wild goose chase and this was all a social experiment to test the protags psyche as he was the perfect candidate mentally / physically for whatever they were trying to achieve.
>>
>>323274249
>game is released
>seems like just a regular game
>however, the dialogue, the aesthetic, and some game mechanics feel off..
>there is hidden shit in the folders
>intentional glitches that cant be explained
>the game is actually a horror game when observed literally outside the box
>there is a question that the game offers, and the answer is outside of it

it'll be GTA SA mythhunting and neverbegameover all over again

too bad data mining kinda ruins it
>>
>>323274323
brutal
>>
>>323274249
I'd play that. Bug/glitches and reading cut contents gives me the creeps, somehow
>>
>>323274401
Datamining would be the whole point though. You gotta datamine to find the horror, it just wouldn't be all that hard.
>>
>>323274249
This. I've had this same idea. However, I've struggled with how the cheats and glitches are explain ingame. Like for instance, you're a god to some extent and can warp space and time, or a plot driven 4th wall breaking protag trying to understand its existence within a videogame and trying to break out of it.
>>
>>323273485
What is The Evil Within?
>>
>>323274520
Just have the cheats subtly hidden in notes around the game.
>>
Third person game that is a mix between Silent Hill and The Evil Within in tone and scares. It would breach from multiple character stories where some will intersect.

It would consist of characters like:
>A former serial killer
>A detective
>A homeless man
>A babysitter
But that's just to name a few.
>>
>>323274323
This is already a game, it's called Deadly Premonition
>>
>>323273903
All those things you said are crucial to the horror genre, but by removing key elements you remove expectations of the atmosphere. Think of Silent Hills's P.T. Jump scares defiantly belong in a game since its interactive.
>>
>>323274601
Who leaves the notes? Who signs their name? What reason would this entity have to help you or the protag?
>>
>>323274691
Easy.
It's a game.
>>
>>323274537
Quite the fantastic puzzle game. Mikami out did himself.
>>
File: night2.jpg (37 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
night2.jpg
37 KB, 250x250
>>323274691
>THE PROTAG FROM THE FUTURE HELPING HIMSELF
>>
a normal game where everything spooky is a glitch
>>
>>323264702
>pitch black in the deep sea
>only see about 10m ahead of you from your lights, see small fish and the weird undersea stuff
>giant tentacle rubs against the right seaport of your little vessel.
>>
>>323274639
Yeah but taken to the next level, like at least 5 twists with hidden twists layered within. The story needs to be batshit insane.
>>
>>323272486
This idea reminds me of House of Leaves, which I've always thought would be great for a movie/ game
>>
>>323274727
Well clearly, but if it's just spit into your face an weight of the situation falls flat.

>>323274763
Too spooks.
>>
>>323274841
Why does it have to be weighty? It's just a game about spooking the player with glitches and meta shit.
>>
>>323273654
Giants actually scare the shit out of me.
I've always had a fear of looking out the window and seeing this fuckhuge face staring right back at me, or looking up at the sky and there's a MASSIVE fucking face that takes up everything staring down right at me.
>>
>>323264702
You mean Narcosis? Wasn't that supposed to released soon?
>>
>>323274954
I understand that feeling. Thinking about huge things near me can be unnerving.
>>
>>323272486
this idea sort of exists, SCP Containment Breach has that blink mechanic
>>
File: RE-005_bmp_jpgcopy.0[1].jpg (718 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
RE-005_bmp_jpgcopy.0[1].jpg
718 KB, 1280x720
I think something that flies over a lot of people's heads is how crappy controls are actually beneficial for creating tension and in turn, fear.

Just look at the old REs or Deadspace (on a controller). Such games wouldn't be as great if you could just shoot zombies in the head instantly.

It would be nice to see something like the detail gun maintenance in Receiver, put in a horror game. Where you have you load the bullets into clips manually between fights and go through each stage of the reload process with keystrokes whilst some monster is about to eat your face.
>>
>>323274886
I don't suppose it has to be, I just think it could only improve the experience. I was thinking maybe a scorned dev out to break the game by hiding glitches and game breaking cheats into the game as a fuck you to his employers.
>>
>>323275064
What about it being an "abandoned game" like Knock Knock tried to be?
>>
File: 1406159671195.png (51 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
1406159671195.png
51 KB, 207x200
>>323264702
make it immersive so in order to do anything you have to walk around your vessel and physically interact with objects. No hud, readouts need to be made from objects in your vessel.
>>
>>323264118
Interesting, combine that with for example you wake up not knowing who you are, not in the hospital but in someone's life whether that be a school girl, a lawyer whatever. You seem to be running from something a monster, when you die you wake up in someone else's life with multiple monsters chasing you. The twist then being you are a soul fleeing death, through the course of the story find out who you were and what you did. Perhaps ending with going to hell.
>>
>>323275164
Fuck I need to play that one. Seen vids and it looks esoteric as fuck.
>>
File: ito-heads.jpg (123 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
ito-heads.jpg
123 KB, 400x355
>>323275030
I think this manga as a game would be scary as shit.
Bigass balloon heads with faces that resemble their victims. They chase said victims and try to hang them with the nooses hanging off em'.
>>
>>323275035
>crappy controls are actually beneficial for creating tension and in turn, fear
this nigga knows what's up

of course, there's a fine line between controls feeling heavy or limited and flat-out crappy

Deadspace you were kind of clunky moving because you were in a big engineer suit but I wanna say that was intentional? Resident Evil was just plain shitty.
>>
>>323275035
This doesn't fly over people's heads, it's one of the most overused arguments for why horror games "can't work" in a modern setting.

Also you could easily make a game that "lets you shoot zombies in the head instantly" and still be scary, just keep it similar to how RE does it and base crit percentage on proximity to the enemy.
>>
The horror of being a woman in a man's body and the existential horror of learning it's too late to transition.
>>
Just Expand KFMod and you'll have my favorite game
>>
You're a guy with a camera who doesn't leave his house. You discover a door in your house that leads to one of several surreal, nightmarish locations. You try and film what's going on to make your masterpiece.

Yume Nikke in first person, basically
>>
I know people will hate this idea but here it goes:

It's a Slenderman game. Guys, please keep reading. You plays as these group of people who after a certain string of events, bizarre murders, and creepy footage link to that horror internet creation; Slenderman. It plays kinda like a third person Outlast although a lot more interactive with the environment.

Towards the end it will be revealed that "Slenderman" and is agents are just a bunch of normal dudes in costumes using the internet character for their sick killing sprees. With some special equipment for encounters(along with a little drugging for some of their victims) and special effects in footage they use they are able to make themselves convincing.
>>
>character is a diagnosed schizophrenic
>takin pills and shit
>starts to see shit even though medicated
>gets up one night to get some water/go to bathroom/whatever
>sees something watching around corner

>during day, game is kind of like point and click adventure, with emphasis on social stuff. You have to take your pills. You have to interract with people. You have 'energy' meter that if it runs out, the protag just fucks off back home and initiates night
>At night, a game of cat and mouse with things that make or may not be real. Game becomes more fast paced, instead of talking to people in static screens you're navigating your home first person. Each night you have some kind of erratic and arbitrary goal you must complete to satisfy a schizophrenic mind and actually go to sleep
>as your character gets more and more exhausted, days and nights begin to blur into each other until eventually everything is what the fuck
>you haven't been taking your pills.
>>
>>323275334
A Junji ito minigame series based on his works would be awesome.
>>
>>323275357
REmake HD rectifies that and it's still spooky.

It remains scary because of the cramped corridors and scarcity of items.

Item management and "survival" are what make these games scary and it's ridiclous that people keep trying to pin the blame on anything else. Limited saves, the aspect of "give and take".

"What do I gain from taking down this zombie? Will it make traversal of the environment easier?"
>>
>>323275609
So a combination of Paranormal and Yume Nikki?
>>
File: 1340309158185.gif (168 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
1340309158185.gif
168 KB, 256x144
So /v/, to what extend, would you say, you're fine with the game "taking away control" from you, in the context of the horror/story/plot

Like you character actually freaking out and shaking or swearing a lot
Maybe even panicking and not always following your directions (in the sense of the Player being the consciousness and the character being the unconsciousness)
Items in the environment or enemies being straight out replaced by different ones as a side effect of the madness?
Preventing you from controlling the character entirely for a short period of time?
>>
>>323275847
sounds awful
>>
>>323275847
Sounds like some gimmicky bullshit.
>>
>>323275847
I wouldn't mind impediments to your controls as a result of adrenaline/fear (like the game increasing your sensitivity if you're in a high stress situation to mirror sloppy and panicked motions), but completely taking away control is bullshit.
The character should mirror me, I'm the one that wants to be spooked, not the person I'm playing as.
>>
>>323275775
But on a larger, less claustrophobic scale. You're a little like a wildlife photographer, but instead of filming lions or whales you're in some bizarre hellscape filming lovecraftian abominations or whatever.

As you go deeper into each area, stuff goes from slightly weird but still grounded to complete surreal and fucked-up and physically dangerous, so it's up to you whether you want to pull out and get the fuck out of there or continue filming and going deeper to try and uncover more and more fucked up shit.
>>
>>323276027
But what if taking control away helps amplify your fear? Maybe not the way the other guy said, but like having you unable to do a certain action that you HAVE to do to survive, or getting trapped and having you completely helpless to escape.
>>
>>323275847
Stuff like shaking and heavy breathing that makes aim hard is fine, cause the player can counter act that if they're good enough, if not it adds to the scare. Everything else is a horrid idea, either I have control or I don't, there's no need to have it unless in cutscenes.
>>
>>323275847
You see, I think about this. I feel it's very innovative but if use correctly but would lose it's charm after one playthrough. It's pretty much a glorified cutscene. I do think it would be pretty neat if a character had an intense reaction from a monster pooping out of fucking nowhere though.
>>
>>323276178
>Monster pooping out of fucking nowhere
>>
How would you make a horror rasslin game?
>>
>>323275847
Even if it's a horror game all of that just sounds annoying and tedious.

There is a point where a game just became to annoying to play and it's around that point.

>>323276112
That would just kinda feel unfair. Remember, it's a game first.

If you want to make the player feel helpless and lose control, do it through things like story or level design.
>>
File: 1407501466311.gif (467 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1407501466311.gif
467 KB, 550x400
>>323276112
Why shouldn't I be able to attempt to do something that I know I need to do to survive?
I think no matter the situation you should at least let the player try and figure out that it's hopeless on their own, instead of saying "Hey buddy, you're too scared to do that right now."
Ramp up the difficulty or time constraints on doing something you have to do instead of outright preventing a player from doing it.
It's the equivalent of fallout 4 locking players out of attempting lockpicks that are out of their skill range because "wow that's just too hard I can't do that".
>>
>>323275609
This is actually a cool idea. Reminds me a little of SH4.
>>
So let's say the Nazi scientist come up with Philadelphia project esque teleportation. Check points are tied to you assisting your past and future self. In a sense you work on not getting killed as both your past and future self in one section of the game. other sections will deal with other horror aspects of horror tropes, like discovery and chase scenes.
>>
File: 1326005060444.jpg (134 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1326005060444.jpg
134 KB, 400x400
>>323275909
>>323275994
And if those conditions are avoidable if you're doing it properly?
Like not looking at the monster/horror, not failing a puzzle/whatever, doing the things that benefit your specific character (if they are claustrophobic, don't enter a tight space etc.)

>>323276027
That was more the "scale" of taking away control, but even minor things, like you've mentioned the sensitivity, is taking away a certain amount of control

Maybe the swearing (actual verbal or "in your head") kind of hides the noises that you actually need to hear, or something along those lines

>>323276178
True, which is why I think something like different character, or character traits would benefit here, as I mentioned the claustrophobia above
Fear of darkness would be the obvious one, spiders, clowns etc.
>>
>>323276296
I'd be pretty spooked by that
>>
>>323276296
*popping out of fucking nowhere
You get the point though. An extreme reaction from the character would likely gander a reaction from the player.
>>
>>323276345
Well I mean, you get used to being able to do a certain action to save yourself - say, attack - and suddenly the game takes that away. You have to find some other way to survive now.

I'm not saying to leave the player without options, I'm saying REMOVE an option that the player takes for granted.
>>
>>323262698
>>323262698
I had a nightmare some time ago that still gives me chills when I think about it.

I was paralyzed in bed, couldn't move, and one of my closests friends stood at the foot end. I'm not sure what he was saying, but it was something really evil he was constantly repeating to me.
He then turned around, but his body still acted like he was facing me. Let me try to explain what this means.
Imagine someone is turned away from you, and the person goes on it's knees.
But, instead of going on his knees like you would normally, your body acts as if the backside of your body is your front, so your legs, back and arms bend the other way around.
Since this is not a normal way for a body to bend itself, all the bones in the body break and snap. But my friend didn't care. He just continued to bend this way, breaking all his bones in his body, blood coming out from everywhere. In this position he 'crawled' on top of me, his head turned all the way to the back until we were eye to eye.

I mean. It's not really a concept, but you could use it maybe.
>>
I would really like an abstract 3d horror game that utilizes common glitches and video game bugs to create a scary atmosphere.
>when you die after you reach a cutscene, the cutscene changes very subtly
>you're forced to go out of bounds and can fall infinitely, forcing you to have to restart the game manually
>the soundtrack can glitch out/become choppy
>game can make it look like your computer is crashing
>graphical style changes to more simple polygons, yet becomes darker and harder to traverse.

The point is that all of these mechanics work really well together because they are intentionally implemented rather than found by dumb/random luck. They would also escalate as the game progresses. I think it'd be difficult to make correctly but could potentially be pretty scary since it doesn't have to rely on immersion to be scary-- it relies on breaking expectations/established mechanics.
>>
>>323276478
I think the best idea for "glitch" style horror would be to add things that clearly don't belong in the game, like they're a completely different graphic style from the rest of the game. Uncanny valley and whatnot.
>>
>>323276478
>manual restart

No
>>
>>323276370
There should be a bravery factor you could build up to help your character encounter the monsters. Maybe from some side quests or something that relates to them conquering their fear.
>>
>>323275609
Silent Hill: The Room already did that.
>>
File: 1419157056563.gif (2 MB, 400x221) Image search: [Google]
1419157056563.gif
2 MB, 400x221
>>323276370
>is taking away control
I'd say it's more making control a bit more difficult to handle, not taking it away. You can still look and move, it's just due to fear/adrenaline your senses are impaired and not as finely controllable as usual.
>>323276425
Yeah, but I feel if you just up and say "Hey, you can't do that anymore, find someway else to figure it out champ" feels like it's a bit cheap and out of nowhere for someone to do to you. It's worked so far, why can't I do it now?
I think the key would lie in changing up how situations present themselves. An enemy makes attacks that you learn how to avoid or counter, so you expect a certain behavior from the enemy. Then while fighting another of the same enemy, they might counter one of your counters or use a new attack that is much too difficult to avoid and puts you at much greater risk if you engage them, forcing you to consider different options to escape.
Pretty shitty example but I think there should be an attempt to let the player decide how they want to approach it themselves instead of setting up walls around them to force them to choose a particular action.
>>
Is it possible to make a horror game starring UFO's/Gray Aliens?
>>
Someone should just make a proper SCP game where you play as an agent and explore various fucked up areas and try to survive.
>>
>>323276721
The Room also had a garbage second half.
>>
>>323276936
No shit.
>>
I always thought that in order to make a good horror game, developers must get in the mind of the players. What makes people scared? Or makes them feel uneasy? Or what disgusts them?
Once you have those things answered then you have to think of UNCONVENTIONAL ways of adding it.
If you add it in conventional way it doesn't matter because it's expected to begin with so the horror part vanishes.
>>
There should be a horror game about Krampus
>>
>>323276027
I recently played Call of Cthulhu and kind of liked how that game did this. If you look at too much weird shit, your dude starts going insane and the camera blurs in and out, you hear whispering as the audio fades in and out, he talks to himself, you enter random slow motion, and as you are dying of blood loss the color fades out. If he gets too freaked out, you will shake uncontrollably until he finally just shoots himself and its a Game Over.
>>
>>323275847
Reminds me of that panic mechanic from a horror game where a girl would hide from the monster but if she got too spooked she would panic and start running instead of hiding.
>>
What if we make a horror game...
With none of the horror?
>>
File: 1411068415540.png (42 KB, 486x1329) Image search: [Google]
1411068415540.png
42 KB, 486x1329
>>323277028
>spin [RS] to fight inner demons
>>
>>323276721
The filming first-person aspect is new though.
>>
>>323276606
Yeah, like that glitch in The Witcher where Geralt's face looks like it's melting. Just kind of inexplicablely there but not glorified in any way, just broken. I'm also thinking of how spooky the Twilight Princess Arbiters Grounds reset glitches are. No music and repeated stuff from earlier in the game. Making the player feel like something is wrong.

>>323276619
I'm gonna defend the manual restart and say that if it isn't used too often and it's not too difficult to avoid then it would work. Having the game restart normally would break immersion and make the player think "oh, I'm just playing a video game". I'm thinking just a "press start, load from save" thing that can be avoided if you're a smart enough player.
>>
File: 1321824916123.jpg (71 KB, 410x374) Image search: [Google]
1321824916123.jpg
71 KB, 410x374
>>323276659
Oh definitely, I think that there should always be at least 3 ways of handling a "problem"
For example a generic monster:
>escape
>defeat
>avoid

The difference between escape and avoid would be the escaping is for when you are detected and being chased, while avoiding is for when you can't exactly see the monster, but have telltale signs of its presence (sound, environment etc.)
While defeating it is a completely different thing to consider on how exactly it's done. Building up to it and having enough Courage to face it without severe consequences and solving a puzzle or something else

>>323276748
Yes I meant "taking away full control" basically
Same as a shaky camera or loud noises and flashing colours don't exactly take away control, but they sure as hell impede it and prevent it from being as perfect as you'd like

Maybe something like, adding to the "swearing mechanic", having the option to cover your mouth, which will in turn speed up your breathing, making it harder to sprint or do actions, but quieter so you won't get noticed
>>
>>323277032
Sounds like Clock Tower
>>
>>323277081
IMO the best horror is found in games where you least expect it.

If a game is advertised as a horror game with outright generic scary elements, then you immediately know what you're getting into.

Surprised that some indie-developer hasn't taken this route with crazy advertising with a playable demo that ends up being a 180 from what people expected or something.
>>
>>323277197
What about instead of manual restart something happens to the player after they've fallen long enough and the game resets itself, except further changed?
Like a giant maw devouring them, or a hand reaching at them before the reset.
>>
>>323277256
It wasn't the first one, was it?
>>
File: ponte-city-apartments-960x720.jpg (245 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
ponte-city-apartments-960x720.jpg
245 KB, 960x720
I'd like to see a horror game with a huge world. A world so big you could never explore it.
The idea of being stuck in something big terrifies me. Whether it's being under ocean, being stuck in an endless staircase or being locked in a giant planet sized apartment complex.
Pic related.
It would be full of all sorts of monsters that all have their own unique patterns and quirks. The game would be updated regularly to make sure people aren't just reading some wiki to figure out how to survive.
You'd have to walk around this place trying to avoid monsters to find the exit, which is almost impossible to find. The gameplay would be more like SCP since those guys managed to pull of several things I listed like making players be ok with playing the game for days without reaching the exit.
>>
>>323276967
Trophobia seems to be common with people. It would help with an uneasy atmosphere.

An easy way to scare someone is to make them feel like they are being followed. Not just having one thing get thrown out of place one time in the game. But being actively followed during a section and depending how you play the game(although it's pretty hard) you can encounter the thing that's following you early making you have to run for it.

You know what mean? Like something is actually there after you. Not some scripted sequence.
>>
>>323277401
Holy fucking shit. How could anyone feel safe in those apartments?
>>
>>323277276
>Tower of Latria in DeS
>Tomb of Giants in DaS
>Upper Cathedral in BB
This is always great, need more super spooky and unexpected moments in otherwise standard games
>>
>>323277218
nah little micromanaging mechanics like "hold x not to scream" and "press z to wipe sweat off of brow" wouldn't float well I think.
on paper they're okay but in reality trying to control your character's tourettes would end up being a chore and break immersion
>>323277401
documentation is the death of mysteries and horror games
>>
Referencing the tiring/fatigue mechanic
The player can choose to run or hide.
Running will eventually screw with their aim and speed. controls may feel unresponsive, but doesn't mean they aren't there.
>>
>>323277405
Like Hellnight/Dark Messiah then, or Alien Isolation if you change the AI to not teleport around you but move on its own.
>>
>>323277405
I'm personally scared of being lost.
Make a labyrinth-like game that has random loopholes that defy physics, like you walk to the left and go to the right and shit like that. Add something like you said to add pressure. And I'll probably launch the game, play a bit, get scared and stop.
Not even kidding.
>>
>>323277321
Maybe combining the idea of the fake computer crash with resetting it after long enough. I think the game can't have anything traditionally horrifying about it (like giant hands or monsters) because it needs to feel like a video game first. I get scared when I fall out of bounds from a glitch because I no longer have control. The "monsters" in the game would have to come from graphical/video game errors. Something like a spooky missingno that chases you (obviously not just a missingno, that would be cheesy as fuck).
>>
>>323277218
I agree with all these ideas.
>>
Have a constant threat following/chasing the player. It doesn't have to be very fast, but the fact that there's something behind you at all times is nerve wracking.
>>
>>323277342
probably the 3rd. rooms you explore had designated hiding spots for when a monster would bust in and if you don't get in quick enough, she freaks and runs out into the open
>>
>>323277401
Generally I think horror games are too linear and confined to be truly scary. It's too controlled, too predictable and when you're in danger you know exactly where to go because there's only one or two places to hide in the linear hallway.
What I want is shit like this
>enter room
>see pic related
>it's completely empty, not a single living thing in sight
>wait a sec, what is that
>notice something moving
>it's a freakish monstrosity looking at you
>the second you move it fucking bolts to the closest door
>you don't know where it's going
>you don't know how long it will take to get to your position
>you don't know where to run
That to me is scary.
>>
>>323277709
I just suggest that sort of thing because having things appearing in an area where things SHOULD NOT BE (out of bounds/nullspace) is terrifying.
>>
>>323277792
I agree with this. Wide open area. Dozens of paths to follow and the monster is in ONE of those places.
>>
File: kwc-vanuit-de-lucht.jpg (757 KB, 1600x1130) Image search: [Google]
kwc-vanuit-de-lucht.jpg
757 KB, 1600x1130
Horror game based in "The Walled City of Kowloon" or a Kowloon-like place when?
>>
>>323276835
THIS

THIS

THIS

T H I S

>>323276917
ALSO THIS
>>
>>323264702
This could actually be pretty cool. Walking on the deep sea floor or piloting a little mini sub with some immersive audio, hell, even VR, could be fucking creepy if its done right.
>>
>>323277947
Shadowrun Hong Kong
>>
>>323277792
So, what, something like Alien: Isolation without lockers and a differently tuned AI?
>>
>>323277947
I remember thinking about how shit Kaineng was on release. If only I had known how culturally accurate it was.
>>
Game starts out as some typical E-rated family-friendly platformer or exploration title with safe, toony graphics.

Progress becomes ever-so slowly twisted as you go along.

Basically, the kind of shit that Nintendo likes to pull on occassion in some of their games, but amplified by 10 as some slow, progressive descent into hell.

Example, imagine hearing something like this right after you defeat the first boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71PcaIOV0a8

And then inevitably coming across something like this as your 4th or 5th boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvs9Ar3fdNA
>>
>>323277792
Well understand that a game can't just be an entire hallway or guessing game. a scary experience is the unpredictable one.
>>
>>323276917
iirc it was already done. Far from being a proper SCP game though.
>>
>>323277218
I am somewhat agreeing with the "swearing mechanic" but the "taking full control thing" can get annoying. Like if they are afraid enough do they fall over themselves? Do they just run in the opposite direction of the supposed monster? Do they wail and moan?
>>
>>323278179
That was just you running away from monsters after a containment breach. I always thought the most interesting SCPs featured explorations of surreal environments where you felt anything could happen.
>>
>>323278150
I recall a Kirby game like this
>>
>>323277946
Yeah, it's the unpredictability that makes you shit your pants. Just imagine this scenario, a little big more easy to relate to, I guess
>you look out your apartment window
>in the window right next to yours there's a woman banging on the window
>seconds later a guy appears from behind her and stabs her to death
>he looks straight into your eyes and then leaves
That's fucking terrifying. What is this guy doing? Is he just retreating and trying to get away from the crime scene? Is he going to come and kill you? Should you go down and try to run away, or should you go up and try to hide there? Is he taking stairs or is he taking the elevator?
That's the kind of thing I want replicated in horror games.
>>
>>323278150
I think someone already made a 2D platformer with that kind of premise
>>
>>323278150
Eversion.
>>
>>323278292
I never had the chance of saying this before but I think most horrifying is when you are in a certain area and you see/hear the enemy or unknown whatever below/above and you realize the direction it's heading is a one way that leads to the same path you came out in from to get where you are. It may not get to you in the next couple of seconds, but he/it is coming and you got the get the fuck away.
>>
File: 1356137579452.png (25 KB, 325x200) Image search: [Google]
1356137579452.png
25 KB, 325x200
>>323277513
Those mechanics wouldn't be always there, only when/if you screwed up on something, then you have to do this minigame of sorts to sort of make up for your screw up (maybe have a bar there, with an indicator jumping up and down and you have to use your mouse wheel to stabilize it)

>>323278245
Not not quite, I'm just not working it right
Not giving you full perfect control is what I want to say. Any of the effects take away your control to some degree (noise, shaking, increased sensitivity etc.), while you yourself might be calmer than your character because it's obviously just a game, the fear that instills your character is transmitted to you through the hindrance of control.
Not completely taking it away, but not being buttery smooth as well.
Sort of like how the mentioned janky/clunky control of the game can actually bring more tension than the monsters by themselves
>>
I think one of the worst things that happens in horror games is giving the player too many or too powerful weapons. It really takes away the fear if you can easily one-shot enemies safely and efficiently. When you need to conserve ammo for shitty guns that need several shots just to take out 1 enemy, you not only pick your targets more carefully, but also encourages more sneaking and running. Although, another thing that annoys me is when a game gives you useless weapons like a knife that can never actually kill anything.
>>
>>323278292
nah guy that seems cheesy as fuck
more like
>woman stabbed to death by unknown assaliant
>look away for a few
>look back
>woman standing in window again
>>
>>323278309
I think so too.
>>
>>323278150
That splatoon audio is fucking crazy. That would have scared me shitless when I was a kid.
>>
>>323278631
There should be items where you are able to trap the monster somewhere for a couple of seconds. Like stabbing it into a wall or something.
>>
File: 1255986920905.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1255986920905.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
>>323278782
>fast as fuck and screaming monster rushing at you
>nail it to a wall
>it's still trying to get to you, screaming
>eventually releases itself
>next time the duration of the disable is halved
>after that the monster will dodge more effectively and the duration is even less
>at some point it's immune to said weapon if fired directly
>need to distract it with something to hit a shot
>>
>>323262698
>First Person
>Wake up in your bed
>Go to work
>40 weekly hours of grind
>Go back home
>Contemplate in your solitude if that's what you pictured for your life when you were 10
>Credits roll
>>
>>323262698
>Horror game where you're a basketball player and your only source of light is the ball. You have to keep dribbling or the light goes out.

Someone said it was stupid on /v/, but they just don't know what innovation is.
>>
How do you make horror scary if you are the monster>
>>
>>323275285
Sounds good anon. Keep expanding and you may be on to somthing
>>
>>323281182
You want horror? Make a game where you play as a generic enemy.

The monster can break down any wall, sneak up on you, cast all sorts of wicked shit and pull out weapons from out of thin air. I'd pay for this.
>>
>>323275285
Isn't that ZombiU
>>
>>323281182
Make your prey can also kill you
>>
File: monster.jpg (23 KB, 500x594) Image search: [Google]
monster.jpg
23 KB, 500x594
>First person survival horror game
>You have a single handgun and ammo is extremely rare, maybe about 20 rounds in total can be found during the entirety of the game
>Gun handling works like it does in Receiver, with every action being manually executed by the player
>This also extends to aiming, which is completely freeform, meaning you can even aim the gun at yourself which brings us to the main gimmick of the game
>If a monster kills you, it's game over and you have to start over from the very beginning
>If you shoot yourself instead, you are startled awake in the last bed you slept in
>The gun can also be used to shoot the creatures to cause them to flinch in pain and allowing you time to flee and hide
>Ammo used to kill yourself will not be refunded upon continuing
>>
>>323281824
I like it.
>>
>>323277484

They were a shithole. The centre was filled with three stories worth of garbage at one stage, the place was overrun with gangs and the apartment block was the main contributor to a massive increase of suicides in the area.
>>
>The year is 2023. The apocalypse has happened, portals to hell opened up, the ocean burst into flames, but what came out of the portals wasn't what anyone expected. Out of the netherworld poured the true source of evil in reality billions of Canadian Geese. Can you survive in this new world, where nothing and no one is safe?
>>
>>323281824
Love it.
>>
File: monster.jpg (336 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
monster.jpg
336 KB, 1000x750
>An isometric RPG in the vein of Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights
>Horror flavored, with an oppressive atmosphere and grim events
>Story is centered around morality and the consequences of your actions
>In this world, Karma is not only the concept of getting what's coming to you, but also the name of a race of creatures that are linked to every other sentient being
>Your Karma is attracted to evil acts, and every evil act you commit allows it to come a bit closer to you, ultimately allowing it to act as a guide and companion, taking part in conversations and sharing its forbidden knowledge with you
>This comes with a price though, as close proximity to these creatures saps your sanity, and the game becomes scarier/weirder and harder due to that, not to mention that NPC interaction is harder because people will know what you are really like because your Karma is so close, which means many potential companions will refuse to travel with you
>On the flipside, good deeds repel your Karma and keep the game more mellow and easier, while making NPC interaction also easier because people will know you are trustworthy
>The appearance and utility of your Karma would be based on the deeds you committed to attract it to you, meaning the Karma of a serial killer would be a slavering beast whose utility would be mostly in combat, while the Karma of a compulsive liar would be a snakelike being that would be of use in conversations and other social interactions
>Multiple endings based not only on your choices during the game, but also your relationship with your Karma in the end

Not straight up horror, but it's an idea I've been toying with a lot.
>>
>>323282375
Not bad. Would be kinda tricky to pull off though.
>>
>>323282375
Here's a detail a lot of ideas like that miss, you can't just do obvious good choice vs obvious evil choice, you need to do practical choices, you pick something out of necessity or convenience, is it good or bad? You will know when the consequences of your acts come to happen.
>>
>>323282084
>There were even proposals in the mid-1990s to turn the building into a highrise prison.
Man that sounds comic book as fuck
>>
>>323282375
>Karma of a serial killer would be a slavering beast whose utility would be mostly in combat, while the >Karma of a compulsive liar would be a snakelike being that would be of use in conversations and other social interactions
Kind of like persona. Cool
>>
>>323282765
Just don't make the choices obvious, people are just going to metagame them. Count stuff done in gameplay, not choices like mass effect where you press up to be good or down to be bad.
>>
File: skeletal.jpg (135 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
skeletal.jpg
135 KB, 500x750
>>323282765
None of the choices would be obvious. You'd only really know that you've done evil is when it's something obvious like killing someone for nothing but personal gain or you begin to see signs of your Karma (and inversely you'd know you'd done good if it's nowhere to be seen)
>>
>>323264702
Im a developer and im literally planning on making a game like this in a few years when i git gud

>set on an alien planet which you are colenizing, is 95% water, home base is a collosal battle cruiser
>after a mission the you return to find the battle cruiser bitten in half
> the equipment used for calling for help is now in the belly of a leviathan at the bottom of the ocean
> have to scour the deep ocean for any sign of it while the remnants of the colony are scattered across the ocean

thoughts? im currently making a 2d multiplayer game which is going well and if i ever get the budget or the resources too i will make this deep sea horror game, im just not good enough to program it yet
>>
File: 1446955888846.jpg (38 KB, 600x662) Image search: [Google]
1446955888846.jpg
38 KB, 600x662
Nightmare simulator, as in there's no defined rules and the scenario changes all the time to other weird places that are close, but not close enough to reality to get you creeped out.

People don't act rationally, but don't act like cartoonish psychopaths, they just smile too much or act inappropriately. A world where everyone's gone mad except you, where everyone is really cheerful or really depressed or just does things differently from the norm. Too many actions are reliant on other people whom they don't know doing something as well, which means it's all in a random dice roll where everything hits d20. It's like jumping off a roof and some random citizen who is incapable of seeing him catching him and the two walking away not even saying a word.

Imagine a large field of sunflowers that's burning to a crisp, and your sister frolicking through it with you as you plead for the two of you to leave, but she's incapable of noticing any danger and laughs childishly.

Have everything have different rules, where every new scenario can happen randomly and without warning, but nothing jumpscare-ish.
>>
>>323284629
I like this idea.
>>
Whatever happened to The Sound of Silence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmMXXC_TdU0
>>
File: 1440556088456.png (274 KB, 352x436) Image search: [Google]
1440556088456.png
274 KB, 352x436
>>323284629
Have no sound design except some calming old-timey music, like Clair De Lune playing all the time, unable to hear anybody's words. Have it play when a giant monster tries to devour you, have it play when you're eating with your parents, have it always play. Have things be out of place, but you can't tell why. Maybe change the AA on the models or perhaps add lots of detail to it. Highlight unimportant objects. Have it break the fourth wall in the most subtle ways. Have it change your steam username, have it change your avatar, have it change your wallpaper. Maybe use that audio tech from Silent Hill 3's PC release that made it sound like what you would hear outside of your headphones, have them be footsteps or your door opening slowly. Have it happen so you freak out and think somebody is opening the door, when there is nobody. Blend reality and fiction. Don't let the horror end when you close the game, but don't keep it running either. Just subtle things, maybe change the save game location randomly in a hundred different locations so you can never tell how to start it all over again.
>>
Murder mystery/Haunted house game where one of you is chosen as the murderer/psycho/demon and you have to murder the other players 1 by 1 but also try to conceal your identity until you're down to the final two survivors.

Kind of like a video game version of Betrayal on the house of the hill.
>>
>first person
>doesn't matter where it takes place just has to have a lot of dark or dimly lit places
>heavy focus on atmosphere and lighting effects
>one monster that chases you endlessly throughout the game a little bit like alien
however unlike alien
>monster is visually terrifying but is not always an immediate threat, present, or seen.
>e.x. you hear a noise off to your right and shine your light on an area only to catch a glimpse of the monster before it runs away swiftly.
>e.x. 2 you hear a noise off to your right only to find that it is ambient noise made by the game.
>the monster can decide to attack whenever it wants and will use ambush tactics as well as stalking you throughout the world.
>e.x. you are in a large area, look behind you and see the monster a good distance away. upon seeing the monster it notices you are aware of it and darts away leaving you unsure if it was evading or slowly moving closer to you
>make it so that it is almost possible to escape without ever seeing/encountering the monster but make its presence enough so that there is anxiety and suspense throughout.
>>
>>323286278
But also, there's other secenarios which aren't just about killing and surviving.
One idea I visualise is the objective about luring people into traps and kidnapping/setting them up for rituals/possession.
Another is about setting up demon gates to summon your dark master to the human realm.

So basically you get different objectives and powers/capabilities each time you play.

Sometimes your facing a slasher out for carnage, a vampire out to increase its brood, a conduit for a demon master. A dark voodoo master raising a zombie army. A demon that feeds of fear and pain.
There's a ton of possibilities.
>>
Something in an open area. Small creatures just watching you from a distance or following you if you turn around. It'd take place in a neighborhood, and over time youll notice more nightmarish things changing the neighborhood. Like the people have abnormally detailed faces, they all stare at you and quickly turn away when you look back at them. Over time they'd inch closer and closer until they surround you unless you get back into your house in time. Same thing with the creatures, they become more abundant and slightly more noticeable at night. Watching you from places they shouldn't be, like in your closet, and outside a second story window.

I don't have all the pieces put together yet, I'd want it to be a puzzle type game, and the neighbors and creatures get more in the way the more time you take.

What do you think? I've never tried this, so any criticism would be helpful, anons.
>>
http://pastebin.com/QSCCqnvN

I wrote this spooky story in a fit of drunken sleep deprived madness last night. I think it's pretty good. Might as well post it in the spooky ghost thread.
>>
>>323275847
I feel like horror games are the one genre that can actually make excuses for it, since so much of fear is involuntary. That said you need to do it right, and carefully. First and foremost you can't have the character be separate from the player. By that I mean the main character must be a basic avatar of the player, and not a Mario or a Nathan Drake or a Master Chief. So a blank slate, possibly player created character. The reasons for this should be obvious.
>>
File: 1352735675412.gif (365 KB, 400x328) Image search: [Google]
1352735675412.gif
365 KB, 400x328
>Have terrible problems sleeping
>Random bouts of nightmares lasting about a week or two every few months
>Rarely I won't be able to sleep at all for 2-3 days, whenever I try I'll hear voices in my head and the exhaustion forces me to eventually start a full conversation with them
>Sleep deprivation makes me jumpy, see things moving in the corner of my eye, cold sweats now and then

Sleep is the answer OP. If you can properly simulate the feeling of vulnerability and fear that comes from sleep, you'll make the scariest game ever made. Sleep is terrifying on every level.
>>
If i post my ideas they're gonna get stolen.
>>
>>323289964
If you're not going to realize them yourself then why not?
At least they have a chance of actually becoming something than just rotting in that selfish head of yours
>>
>>323289294
>>323289294
>http://pastebin.com/QSCCqnvN
Good shit senpai.
I mean i'm no writer but that was like one clean story.
>>
>>323289964
I bet your ideas are shitty anyway
>>
>>323290271
Hey thanks man, I appreciate it. My one buddy really likes spooky stories and writes a some now and then, so I figured I'd take my chance when the idea struck me. He enjoyed it quite a bit too.
>>
Not a horror game but
>Time travelling super soldiers
>From an apoclypse caused by a mad dictators
>Every time they kill the dictator shit ends up even worse
>So what do they do?
>Turns out not every warlord and dictator is a bad apple
>All have horrible pasts ranging from their parents dying, getting bullied horribly, never finding love, etc
>Your job is to help recitfy that
>Hitman style gameplay as you rig shit to save the world by giving the would-be dictators the family they never had, the prom they never got to attend, and the girl they never got to kiss
>>
We need more co-op horror games. Ones that are reliant on voice chat and fuck with it.
Imagine spending half the game trying to meet up with your partner. Randomly generated maps would be helpful for this. No form of communication in the beginning. Eventually, the two of you find radios, walkie talkies, cell phones and such. Half to keep those things charged/maintained. Enemy (possibly a third player?) lurking about. Has some sense of how to find you guys easily but doesn't know your presence at all times (sense of smell? really good hearing).
First half or so of the game is meeting up and the second half is escaping or taking down the monster.
>>
>>323291314
What about a co-op horror game with the game itself sending false responses or messages
For example there's a button which calls for help or watch out to the other guy but sometimes the game does it itself and then tension starts because you don't know if it's really your pal asking help or not

probably can be rectified by skype calls though
>>
>>323279451
This is what I loved about Alien Isolation. The Alien basically had this gimmick, where it would start ignoring and shrugging off whatever you used against it if you used that too much.
>>
>>323291314
I like it, except the take down the monster. A canon reason for multiple maps and different players could be that the monster moved locations and is now hunting new people. But either way I like the concept.
>>
>>323291552
That'd be sweet. Especially if it was controlled by the monster. Like how Predator imitates voices. There could be payphones throughout the levels you could try to communicate with, but sometimes they might just go off randomly with creepy shit on the other line.
Skype calls would ruin this, but how I'm picturing it in my head, the game would focus so much on this co-op communication gimmick that I feel like it wouldn't be fun at all if you used Skype. People might try that once, realize it's not fun, then play it normally. Plus the random world generation would stop that scenario from ruining the game.
>>
>>323277792
Didn't eerie do something like that?
>>
>>323263392
Awesome twist at the end.
>>
>>323262698
Is there a chart with recommended horror games? Like that one for cyberpunk games?
>>
>>323277792
Monstrum?
>>
Jim Sterling, save us all!
>>
>>323293408
Not that I know of. Here's a short list:
Alien Isolation
Cry of Fear
Amnesia The Dark Descent
The Penumbra series
FEAR 1
Monstrum
Teleglitch
Dead Space 1 and 2
STALKER series
Silent Hill 1-4
SCP: Containment Breach
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

This is based on stuff I've personally played and enjoyed, plus stuff I haven't played but see mentioned a lot.
>>
>>323293875
Thanks, already played most but there are some I haven't yet
>>
Shadow of the Colossus wasn't very scary overall, but when I first played it as a kid it was fucking terrifying just because of how big the colossi were and how small the game made me feel.
>>
>>323289964
Well you can always write down your idea on paper and mail it to yourself as proof that you had the idea first. Won't stop it from being stolen but at least you had it first.
>>
File: SHE HAS NO EYES.gif (812 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SHE HAS NO EYES.gif
812 KB, 800x600
games when you die too often are not scary, instead give the player a sense of security the first hours of gameplay

no crafting system, RPG or FP shooter elements. Keep it simple like the PS1 Resident Evils
>>
>>323294117
Man there was layers to that image wasn't there?
>>
File: diluvion2.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
diluvion2.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>323264702
>>
>>323294285
hey what the hell is that? I swear its not like that on my folder hahaha
>>
>>323294618
Fucking triggered. Reported. You should be a arrested.
>>
>>323262698
You meant aspiring 'idea guys'.
>>
File: 1448671135309.gif (4 MB, 477x249) Image search: [Google]
1448671135309.gif
4 MB, 477x249
deep sea game in a submarine or oilplatform with scientist cultists and cthulhu creatures
>>
>Scratch

>A disease is spreading. No one knows how, no one knows why, no one knows where it came from.
>The disease has only one initial symptom: itching. It spreads and magnifies in intensity in a host's body slowly over time.
>If you scratch hard enough to cause scarring, the scars turn into rashes. And the rashes start turning into... other things. Scratching an area will provide only temporary relief; the itch WILL come back with a vengeance.
>It goes without saying- you're one of the unlucky infected. Find a cure, or treatment. Survive. Focus.
>Above all else... try not to think about it.
>>
>>323275665
I would BUY it
>>
Why has there been no video game resembling the movie version of I Am Legend?
Set in an apocalyptic city.
You have to plan out your time wisely.
Spend the day time scavenging the city, hunting, setting traps.
As sunset approaches, you have to go home, cover your tracks, set up defenses.
Sleep or wait out the night.
Rinse and repeat until you inevitably fuck up because it gets harder and harder and you have to either defend your home or maybe you start going out at night too because you're desperate for supplies.
Lots of games have these mechanics but I guess I'm looking for it in a city setting which would be difficult to do well.
>>
I'd like a game where it breaks it's rule of monsters as the game goes on, like it introduces combat, hiding, locking doors and as it goes introduces enemies or just active changes into the game. It would start out with you overpowering your environment and slowly losing it until combat becomes irrelevant.

Imagine playing the game and you see the same creepy figure so you close the door on him, you hear scratching and then see the door knob turning.

Kinda like a more fleshed out version of the that thing with haunting ground where the enemies wouldn't fall for the same hiding spot over and over again.
>>
I just like the idea of being locked in a room with a monster that only moves when you do, and trying to plan out puzzles and things, being able to stop at any time and just see it there, frozen, waiting for you to start moving again so that the chase can continue
>>
>>323295613
I know it's different but that's sorta what they tried to do with Dying Light.
>>
>game isn't advertised as a horror game at all
>slowly starts to turn into a horror game with really good atmosphere

Has a game ever done this?
>>
>>323295613
There was and is a bunch on Newgrounds back in the day
>>
>>323296230
There was that platform game that did that, starts out as like a happy flowery platformer, got creepier over time..

Inversion or something?
>>
File: io.jpg (22 KB, 291x134) Image search: [Google]
io.jpg
22 KB, 291x134
>>323296230
>>
>>323295903
sounds like superhot with a monster instead of bullets

mite b cool
>>
>Game takes place in a lab or other high tech facility
>Doors and other things of interest, like computer terminals and personal lockers are locked with voice recognition locks, so you have to speak into your mic or play recordings to open them up
>There's a test subject on the loose that you have to avoid
>Said test subject can hear you if it is close enough when you speak or produce noise
>Anything you say is memorized by the creature, who slowly begins to mimic your words in its garbled voice
>Let it hear you speak too much and it learns to mimic your voice, giving it access to all places you have access to
>>
Coop only
Game shows different things to each player.
Splitting up essential
Built in voice that records and plays back convos to n whispers at times
Fps no big guns ammo actually limited
Revival items but if both die it's game over hardcore mode is always on
No jump scares just mental anguish and mindfucks

Example split up and p1 has an easy path with no enemies. P2 path meets p1 path but p1 sees p2 as a enemy model so he fires but they figure it out before dead. Later on they come up with a plan. Crouch crouch is safety sign. AI reads the trick didn't work and the code was crouch crouch. It spawns an enemy that crouch crouches when p1 sees him. Then attacks.

Or p2 sees an enemy that looks like p1. AI looks through voice recordings and mutes p1. Finds p1 saying yes earlier. P2 asks if it's safe. AI plays back p1 yes. P2 trusts AI/enemy disguised as p1 and ends up falling in a trap.

Tech isn't there yet. It would also have to disable Skype vents and other voice ops and force in game chat.
>>
File: 1451607965552.jpg (6 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
1451607965552.jpg
6 KB, 195x195
>>323264702
>with Oculus Rift support.
>>
File: hypersleepPreAlpha03[1].jpg (99 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
hypersleepPreAlpha03[1].jpg
99 KB, 1280x721
Do you think purposely retro-style games can be spook?
>>
>>323298191
Yes. Low poly 3D makes me shit myself.
>>
File: SCP.png (3 MB, 2800x1750) Image search: [Google]
SCP.png
3 MB, 2800x1750
>>323270969
did you even read the post you replied to?
>>323269721
>but mix in unnecessary sci-fi
The only spooky part of Soma's water sections we're when you were in the complete dark and when you run away from the monster, both of which last only a couple minutes in a like ~8 hour game

>>323276917
This too.
I'd love to play an SCP game where you're part of a squad and you explore fucked up shit, or just exploring those infinite world SCPs
>SCP-610
>SCP-1555
>SCP-455
>SCP-1165
>SCP-184
>SCP-1983
>SCP-093
>SCP-413

Even being part of a team doing it's best to perform proper SCP containment procedure
>Managing all of SCP-453's events
>SCP-616

Or a D-Class forced to take a test with an SCP
>SCP-1918

Hell, I'm probably missing a shit ton because only those come to mind right now, but single SCPs would make amazing concepts for horror games on their own
>>
File: 1446238400206.jpg (15 KB, 308x422) Image search: [Google]
1446238400206.jpg
15 KB, 308x422
>>323298191
>hypersleep
Don't do this to me anon
>>
>>323277218
>having the option to cover your mouth, which will in turn speed up your breathing, making it harder to sprint or do actions, but quieter so you won't get noticed

Deadly Premonitions
>>
>>323298191
I was thinking of something like this after seeing gameplay of an Alien: Resurrection game. Only the main monster is 3D with a mosaic filter, so they look like a sprite but animate too smoothly. Hopefully making it eerie to look at.
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.