[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's Nintendo's deal with Kamek? If a game doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 736x883) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 736x883
What's Nintendo's deal with Kamek?

If a game doesn't have any magikoopa enemies it's automatically Kamek.

Japan shares the same name for both species and Kamek

While the UK calls the species Kamek and the single Magikoopa.

Why

They should make it easier by just giving Kamek a redesign that's not a generic magikoopa, like add a fucking star on his clothes and hat or something.

He's a great character that is Bowser's caretaker and high general, he needs a distinction
>>
>>323112275
Actually, Kamek started out with a slightly different design from the regular Magikoopas. The trim on his hat was blue, his wand was a different design, and he had a slightly older appearance. But then Nintendo got lazy and made him look like a regular Magikoopa, and now the only way you can tell it's him is by the official word from nintendo in the instruction manuals or promo materials.

>Mario Party 9
>Kamek is playable
>everywhere but the US gets it right, we just call him Magikoopa

>Super Mario RPG
>Kamek is the Magikoopa miniboss in Bowser's Keep
>US fucks up again

Though with some games that have a generic Magikoopa as an enemy/boss, we'll say it's Kamek. Even if it's retroactive, like the Magikoopa boss in Yoshi's Safari.
>>
Man OP, I'm playing paper mario for the first time ever shits dank as fuck. That game doesn't feature Kamek, though. Only Kammy.

Is the other paper mario worth playing?
>>
>>323113748
TTYD is fucking awesome, play it.

Super Paper Mario has a really good story and characters, but it's not a traditional RPG like the first two, so if you want turn-based you're out of luck, it's more action RPG.

Avoid Sticker Star like the plague.
>>
>Kamek was going to be in Mario Kart 64 before getting scrapped

Damn, that would have been awesome.
>>
>>323114758
>ten games later and he still hasn't been put in

Meanwhile we get a bunch of fucking babies, Metal Mario, and Pink-Gold Peach.
>>
>>323115017
Has he been playable in anything besides that Mario Party game?
>>
Kammy > Kamek
>>
>>323115549
Nope. All of his other appearances in spin-offs have been as a boss, item, helper, obstacle, and rival.
>>
>>323113526
>>Mario Party 9
>>Kamek is playable
>>everywhere but the US gets it right, we just call him Magikoopa
What
I played MP9 a lot and Kamek was called Kamek
>>
>>323116371
In the US version he's called Magikoopa. Everywhere else he's Kamek.
>>
>>323116236
Actually he is playable in Mario Golf 3DS.
>>
>>323115549
I think at least one of the baseball games has him.
>>
>>323116714
They were generic Magikoopas with four colors and stat distributions. Kamek himself wasn't in any of them.
>>
You see, the thing is Kamek never really was a character
The Japanese name for Magikoopa was always Kamek, so bowser was really just referring to a plain old Magikoopa, one that's just been with bowser longer than others
However in the US/EU versions, for some reason they refused to translate it to Magikoopa and forced The name Kamek, making everyone believe that he was his own character

That's why he has no difference, because he's not really supposed to be his own character, he's just supposed to be another Magikoopa
Europe already got this right and changed the word Magikoopa to kamek, now the US just has to do it to and we're all good
>>
>>323117501
I prefer Kamek being the name of the specific Magikoopa, because he IS an individual who headlines several games as the primary villain and is Yoshi's villain rival.
>>
>>323112275
Whatever the fuck happened to Kammy in Paper Mario
Kamek is just so Yoshi's Island-esque and not Paper Mario, you know?
>>
>>323114301
Sticker Star is decent.
>>
>>323117707
But anon, he wasn't in Japan, there he was just some Magikoopa who happened to get a lead role
Matter of fact, there's no real way to know if he's even the same guy outside of the Yoshi games
>>
>>323117982
Ha.
>>
>>323118135
Well, I got it for free last year from the Wii Mini Club Nintendo glitch.
>>
>they got rid of kammy koopa

Miyamoto needs to pull an Iwata
>>
>>323113748

Whatever happened to Kammy, anyway? I want to see the two interact, with Kamek praising Bowser and Kammy scorning Bowser, and the two generally arguing over the best way to motivate their villanous overlord like a crotchety old couple.
>>
>>323119576
In Super Mario Bros Z, Kammy was Kamek's mother. Wonder if Alvin will keep that in the remake.
>>
>>323119576
She died with every other PM character when Shiggy "suggested" that IS only use characters from Super Mario World.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.