[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did lost worlds get such bad scores. It had solid controls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Sonic-Lost-World-052913-1.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Lost-World-052913-1.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
Why did lost worlds get such bad scores.
It had solid controls and platforming.
Its like a modernized version of Sonic 1.
But also borrows mechanics from galaxy and rayman legends.
>>
>>322904269
>solid controls
lol no it fucking didn't, it had atrocious controls
>solid platforming
eh, that really varied from level to level
>modernized version of Sonic 1
it literally resembles Sonic 1 purely from a skin-deep perspective, i.e. the tiny animal designs, playing as Sonic only, etc. The physics are nothing like Sonic 1, the level design philosophy is nothing like Sonic 1, the game progression is worlds apart. Sonic Lost World, in terms of gameplay concepts and execution, is probably the furthest away from the classics conceptually than any of the other 3D Sonic titles, including the Boost trilogy
>>
>>322904698
Boost games on a fundamental level are actually more similar to the classic games than people give them credit for being, the difference is you're pressing boost instead of right and your speed is faster
>>
The game has great platforming yes

But they forgot Sanic is about SPEEED
>>
It had potential as a concept but I think the execution was sorely lacking. I'm smack dab in the target audience for this and I didn't play past world 2.
>>
>>322904269
No momentum.
Bad physics.
Controls are finicky.
Gimmicks are badly executed.
Horrible level design.
Easiest bosses in a franchise known for easy bosses.
Graphics look nothing like Sonic has ever been before. No, that's not what the classic games looked like. Colors was closer to that art style.

It wasn't shit but it wasn't really good either.
>>
>>322904269
because every Sonic game made after Adventure 2 is made like how adults always saw Sonic: "just go fast! and um...keep going fast, do it! don't worry about platforming, just plow your way through those bad guys, gotta go fast! :D"
>>
>>322904269
Going to it after Generations and Colors, it's just really mediocre.
The level design is boring, and practically non-existent.
The bosses are VERY easy, the wall-running gimmick is awkward to use.
Lost World recycles the boss fight from Colors.

>300 IQ
>Saves Sonic

Also NOTHING is explained, and Tails is a prick for whatever reason.

"Where did the Deadly six come from?"
"Where did Eggman get the Magic Conch Shell?"
"What the FUCK is a lost hex."
>>
>>322905546

>unironically suggesting that Heroes is 'just go fast ignore the bad guys'
>a game that literally prevents you from progressing in levels without defeating all the enemies an an area

literally the epitome of a butthurt adventurefag who cannot accept the adventure games were poorly executed pieces of bad design
>>
The controls are shit. They gave you a run button to give you more control over your speed, but it has the exact opposite effect since your speed is trinary instead of analog, jogging (too slow to do anything), running, and boost (disguised as a spindash).
The level design is unbelievably bad, that first level in the desert zone has the textures and layout of a Sonic CD special stage. The cylinder level design generally just lets you run straight past any hazards or enemies.
The game pauses after every wisp for absolutely no reason other than to make sure the game doesn't have any kind of flow at all.
They didn't even try with any of the boss fights.
Game's so disjointed that even the final boss music sounds like three different songs playing over each other.
>>
>>322906553
>The game pauses after every wisp for absolutely no reason other than to make sure the game doesn't have any kind of flow at all.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, Colors had this same issue
I can almost understand the reasoning being that it gives more dramatic effect and buildup for when the wisp is used, but all it accomplishes is breaking the flow
>>
>>322904962
Speed as a mechanic vs Speed as a reward is the main difference between classic and boost games.
>>
>>322906914

Sonic 1 maybe, but the spin dash negates any concept of speed being a reward
>>
>>322906787
I can tolerate it in Colors because the Wisps are the main gimmick of the game; it's built entirely around them. It's a lot worse in Lost World because the Wisps are tacked on to a game that isn't built around them.

>>322907056
The spin dash was just one form of speed. The main speed in the classic games was still based around skillful platforming and progressing past enemies. Blindly spin dashing all the time was an easy way to get a really shitty time, whereas boost games assume you want to boost as much as possible.
>>
>>322904269
Controls and mechanics weren't that great.

Sonic accelerated to max speed too abruptly with the run button, and his speed dipped sharply whenever he turned, then shot right back to max when he ran straight again

Plus when running left/right across the curved surface of a cylindrical platform Sonic's speed dipped too.

Oddly enough the 3DS version had better movement mechanics and a better parkour.
>>
Lost World is Sonic trying desperately to be like Mario, and it just doesn't work. SA1 did it better, and it was buggy and unpolished as hell.

>>322907056
You still had to work to maintain he boost gained from the spindash, which the Boost trilogy doesn't do in the same way. LW kinda tried, I'll give it that.
>>
>>322907585
>whereas boost games assume you want to boost as much as possible.

Not really. Boost games are just as much about knowing when to boost and when not to if you're trying to get the best time and optimal route. If you treat the game as hold boost to win you will always get a shitty time
>>
>>322907585
>whereas boost games assume you want to boost as much as possible.
True to a degree. You still had to know where to go while boosting to not trip over or hit a wall.
>>
>>322906439
Not saying Adventure 1/2 were perfect in any way (see Rouge/Tails driving level/Big levels), just saying it's gone downhill from there.
>>
File: sonic_doodle_by_hide0ut-d8lbcn8.png (340 KB, 616x796) Image search: [Google]
sonic_doodle_by_hide0ut-d8lbcn8.png
340 KB, 616x796
>>322904269
>Its like a modernized version of Sonic 1
Good to know that you've never played Sonic 1 (or any of the classics for that matter), otherwise I would be disgusted by your shitpost.
>>
i wish there was an actual "gear shift" mechanic for sanic, sort of like how in 3d world running in one direction would make you go faster after a certain amount of time. but in the case of sonic, it would be manual like an actual shift.
>>
File: 1341485-eggman.jpg (49 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1341485-eggman.jpg
49 KB, 800x600
>>322904269
>modernized sonic 1
This is lately a common opinon between kids that never played the genesis games properly.
I will just focus on the completely screwed physics.
Try running in Sonic 1: when you take speed, jump and release the d-pad while in the air.
Now do the same in Lost worlds.
Post results.
>>
>>322909190
>Now do the same in Lost worlds.
I think this applies in all 3D Sonic games.
>>
>>322907056
>the spin dash negates any concept of speed being a reward

This is a really common misconception. The spin dash gave the player immediate speed certainly, but it wasn't self-sustaining. Without an incline, your speed would decay as soon as the dash was released. The spin dash is an immediate, but always temporary, burst of speed. And of course, the player sacrifices a measure of control using the spin dash. It isn't nearly as easy to slow down or navigate platforms from the spinning position.

The only way to get fast and stay fast, with full control over your movement, was the honest way: building it up yourself and not getting hit.

Compare this to the boost mechanic in the 3D games. Boost keeps you at full speed as long as the player has gauge, and the player sacrifices no level of control to do it. Much more powerful in comparison.
>>
>>322909281
You are right and that's why everyone with a brain prefers the classics, but Lost worlds is even worse then adventures and latest boost games.
>>
>>322909281
Correct, but Lost World is especially annoying because it's trumped up as the return of Sonic to his roots, which consisted of rehashed enemy designs and Mario graphics without any of the actual classic-style gameplay. Generations and Sonic 4 suffered from the same problem.
>>
>>322909859
At least Generations has the excuse of being an anniversary game. But that doesn't excuse Classic Sonic being shit to control.
>>
>>322909281
You keep your momentum when you're boosting at least.
>>
>>322909112
>sort of like how in 3d world running in one direction would make you go faster after a certain amount of time
I find it funny that a Mario game managed to have a better speeding mechanic than Sonic, specially when a Sonic game was trying really damn hard to ape Mario.
>>
>>322905157
>The game has great platforming yes
I sure do love those automated spring and boost pad sections. I know literally ever 3D sonic game does this, but it's a lot worse in LW since Sega was touting how much control you were going to have over Sonic in this game.
>>
>>322905157
>The game has great platforming yes
Retard.

>But they forgot Sanic is about SPEEED
Double retard.
>>
>>322911626
He's not completely wrong about the second point. Speed is a major point in the MD games, but it's handled differently than in the boost games, like >>322906914 said.
>>
The Zelda Level was great
>>
>>322914740
>level is so much better than the rest of the game that they actually force you to play other levels before you can play it again
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.