[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So... What can Ubisoft do to save this franchise from the inevitable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
So... What can Ubisoft do to save this franchise from the inevitable death that it's facing? Or from the bad fame it already has? What can they do to make it feel fresh and different again?

IMO they should add a fully fledged first person perspective mode, very similarly how GTAV did it, but I'm not sure this would be enough to make people put faith in the game again.
>>
>>322475149
Come on /v/, we always have such nice and civilized Ass Creed threads.
>>
start taking a year off between titles to decrease feature creep

use that time to develop an engine that doesn't run so fucking terribly

use that time to fire your writing staff and hire new ones that do more than insert familiar historical figures and ones that will stop making the antagonists shit all over the protagonists philosophically

focus on mechanics that actually make sense and compliment gameplay rather than shoehorning in terrible ideas just to say you added something

find ways to make the open world actually matter rather than just being space to move through in a chore simulator.
>>
>>322475149
i think the reason why i loved Black Flag so much is because it doesn't feel like an AC game.

i still hated that Animus BS though.
>>
>>322475149
They need to take some time off to modernize the gameplay. The combat and traversal is okay, but the interactivity with the game world is piss poor. It really shows when you play Syndicate, because every mission basically heavily relies on the eagle vision, which used to be a small part of the gameplay.

They also need to admit they fucked up with killing Desmond and reintroduce a central protagonist, with a clear goal in mind, instead of vague teases.
>>
>>322476621
the modern element is perhaps the worst implementation in any of the games, though

and the games since then have continued this wretched approach
>>
It needs a reboot bad. The Assassin/Templar/Aliens/Animus story was trash from the start and it just feels like it's on life support at this point. People like the games for their historical setting and yet there's almost no interaction with the game world. Black Flag was the best AC game simply because it let you be a pirate in the period without forcing you to think about aliens and muh conspiracy constantly.
>>
Stop yearly releases

Put more effort into crafting memorable characters and an interesting storyline, beyond referencing historical events and persons, stop being so PC/SJW, original AC games had more ambiguous takes on political events

Stop half-assing the present segments, either push the Desmond storyline forward somehow or don't bother at all

Go back in time or to lost territories, the fans want exoticism (Black Flag) and mysticism (AC1), focus on weird religious artefacts, tumbs, churches, cults, undergrounds, treasures, etc. even if it means locking the player in small level, instead of relying only on the open world. I enjoyed the novely of the Greek underground city from Revelations, from example
>>
>>322478462
Nice asspull, the animus and the conspiracy story is what keeps the fanbase alive, without them it'd be just a boring half assed historical hack and slash with shallow gameplay.

Black Flag has literally got the most pants on retarded story with a device that allows you to see anyone, and has templar vs assassins up the ass, so I don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>322478504
I don't know, anon. Frye twins were pretty memorable. Great characters really.
>>
>>322478462
>spotted the templar in the thread
>>
>>322478462
if you remove the conspiracies and the animus from AC, you end up with something incredibly bland and historically inaccurate shit.

You may not like it but for years it's what drove the series forward. It's shit now, mainly thanks to Black Flag, because it was successful, but it had the worst implemented present day.
>>
File: Cappadocia-inside.jpg (395 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cappadocia-inside.jpg
395 KB, 1920x1080
>>322478504
>>
File: Desmonds.jpg (58 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Desmonds.jpg
58 KB, 500x373
>>322477103
Desmond was a messy fucking character, Ubisoft really had this guy all over the place in terms of who the fuck he was.

Lacked any personality other than "I only ask questions" He felt more like a Plot Puppet than anything else. And the fact they kept changing everyone's faces was getting weird.

Also i've played every AC game because that chinese Side scrolling shit and syndicate is becoming my second favorite.

AC4>ACS>AC2:B>ACU>
>>
>>322478959
>Besides that chinese scrolling shit*
>>
>>322478862
They actually more or less did it with Unity. There was zero modern world gameplay and the only time it appeared was when that fucking cunt was speaking in some cutscenes between chapters.
>>
I heard Syndicate is pretty good. Was I lied to?
>>
>>322476030
On fucking point.
Also, stop giving us these lame European settings, be more bold and stop taking the safe route.
>>
>>322478462
It's because of people like you that Ass Creed's modern day part got fucked over.
>>
>>322479626
No, you were not. Play it.
>>
>>322479626
Kind of. It's fun. Plays fairly decently and buglessly. The protagonists are really great, but the rest of the characters aside from Darwin and Dickens are shit. Story is a bit boring. Missions are fairly interesting and the ending is alright. The economy is absolutely shit though and the combat animations are shit. The combat is far too easy and boring. Not many cool weapons. They also fucked up the running animations a bit. And for whatever reason they got rid of the cool outfit system Unity introduced.

Also, NO FUCKING LEGACY OUTFITS WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>322479767
But there are no decent settings outside the europe. At least as far as history goes.
>>
Honestly the way the series should have gone
>AC1
Same
>AC2
Same
>ACB
About same, considering it was made off AC2 assets and stuff that didnt get into that game. Nothing to do with the future storyline, just an continuation of Ezios.
>ACR
Never happen, this year is a year off. The Altair missions are instead dlc for ACB
>AC3
Released in 2012, have it be in the colonials, but rewritten , no 6 hour tutorial, Connor is more interesting and actually can argue with his targets. This ends the future storyline, with the destruction of Abstergo and the sun shit.

Years later Ubisoft start irregularly releasing stand alone AC games with none of the future shit
>>
>>322475149
Is the newest AC worth a buy? I liked walking through the cities in AC1 and the Italy one but I always hated how much samey sidequests there was and how cluttered the map looked.

Does the newest one improve how the cities feel?
>>
>>322480870
>Released in 2012, have it be in the colonials, but rewritten , no 6 hour tutorial, Connor is more interesting and actually can argue with his targets. This ends the future storyline, with the destruction of Abstergo and the sun shit.
AC3 was rewritten right before the release. I'm sure of it. Just look at the E3 presentation or some of the vids from before then. It looks far better and a little different.
>>
>>322478504
>Stop half-assing the present segments, either push the Desmond storyline forward somehow or don't bother at all

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Just make an modern day assassin's creed already. After that you can make new games focusing on the other assassins without the sincronization bullshit.
>>
I like how Shay is in the center
>>
Unity had the right idea with making the enemies hard and more willing to attack, getting rid of the counter kills and no more kill streaks.Also bringing more depth to the abilities that you can use in combat like tripping, stabbing downed enemies, etc. Too bad Syndicate threw all out the window for the new awful ripoff Batman shit.

The games look and sound great really all they need to do gameplaywise is pick a good settling like Asian and bring more depth to the stealth and combat mechanics.
>>
>>322475149
Move to an Asian setting. It'll keep it afloat for a couple more installments.
>>
>>322482728
I want back to the ancient times.

And there's a mighty good chance they might do that seeing as this year's Ubisoft's Far Cry goes back as far as fucking primal times.
>>
The series is doing fine. Syndicate sold less because Unity was totally messed-up.

What they need to do is stop trying to push their sociopolitical ideology through the main characters. Everyone else always calls them out on it in the story anyway.
>>
>>322484220
>mfw Frye twins literally become honorary members of Marx's communist party
>>
>>322484481
>Evie tries to pressure the Queen to stop invading other countries
>gets completely shut down
>>
>>322484692
Well they had to retain some historic accuracy. But still:
>evie falls for a currynigger
>they literally force a reverse damsel in distress where Evie saves the currynigger multiple times
>Marx is portrayed as a good guy that you help throughout the game
>capitalism is literally evil
I seriously wasn't exactly sure why and how was Starrick a villain, other than the obvious stupid shit like him losing his temper a few times.
>>
>>322481221
Is it worthabuyyyy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrMSd-EIKw
>>322482849
If it's the sameold shit set in Japan it wont. The series is already stagnating.
>>
>>322485060
Well communism as an ideal isn't wrong or evil. It's unattainable due to human nature is all.

Starrick was evil because he was the Templar Grand Master. that's it. Oh, and using children for labor and enforcing his policy with thugs.
>>
Guys, stop. Anything they can add to this series won't make the glory days strike twice. A new IP is ALWAYS preferable to another sequel with a couple gimmicks
>>
Anyone else bothered by all the female thugs in Syndicate
Like if it had be one in ten i would have been sorta okay, but it feels like half the gangmembers are female and i think over half the gang leaders are female too
>>
>>322485507
Communism is wrong as an ideal. The intention is okay, but the idea is very wrong.

>Oh, and using children for labor and enforcing his policy with thugs.
Well child labor isn't really wrong, so long as you don't abuse the children. I for one worked as a kid and that was entirely by my own will.

>>322485763
I supposed For Honor is their attempt at new IP.
>>
>>322485946
Because that's how it is. Too bad it's historically inaccurate but ah well...
>>
they really lost the plot on syndicate
did anyone that liked previous games really want 2 different mcs with 1 being a woman?
result was way worse continuity and storytelling

so now we have 2 recent games with female mc with piss poor sales, are we going to see more?
>>
>>322485763
Yeah they can. Like OP said, add a 1st person mode. Also refine the stealth, fix the AI, add a more interactive world, shit Ubi could do etc.
>>
>>322486226
The story was shit but IMO they pulled off the double character story and gameplay pretty well. Evie was a qt who worked calmly and planned things, and Jacob was a big burly fucker like Connor but with an "i don't give a fuck about assassin bullshit" personality like Edward Kenway.
>>
>>322486919
One more thing, add more camera modes ontop of a 1st pov would be nice. Like a tighter 3rd person they did in certain misisons in Syndicate.
>>
>>322486226
They clearly wanted to try a female mc, but executives didnt dare to have a game with only a female playable character
>>
>>322487195
>Like a tighter 3rd person they did in certain misisons in Syndicate.
Wait, what? What are you talking about?

>>322487254
Liberation was already a game with only one playable female character.
And don't forget that Syndicate actually also has a second playable female character in the WW1 missions.
>>
>>322487254
really, what demand is there for more female mcs in action games?
>>
>>322487761
Well publishers really really want to exploit the female demographic, and they think that having more female characters will pull more female sales. It won't. Not in the numbers they want.
>>
>>322487761
More women are getting into vidya, especially into Ass Creed series for some reason. And then there's the faggots who just want to play as women to look at their butts or because they're secretly traps.

And then there's controversies like in case of Unity where women got MAD that you couldn't play as a woman and got even more mad when told that women had little to none historic relevance in french revolution.
>>
>>322487946
>>322488048
how do you get female demographic, while maintaining the male demographic?

theres a reason theres game devs that focus on making games for women
>>
>>322479767
No one wants to play as smelly chink or some zulu tribesmen.
>>
>>322475149
>Ability to customize builds depending on playstyle like unity
>Stop with the Historywank
>Stop with the boring ass stories
>Model protaganist after Edward or Shay depending on how you want them to act
>Stop fucking adding shit that makes the game play for you like the grapple hook
>More cool sci-fi shit in the past segments and less present day segments
>>
>>322488219
>how do you get female demographic, while maintaining the male demographic?
By shoehorning a female character. Women don't get as buttmad when there's a female char, even if it's the only protagonist. The problem however is that it's really hard to get a female character right so that it both, panders to feminists and is actually interesting enough for the general audience.
>>
>>322488915
Evie is the better protag tho

Jacob is just annoying and it's supposed to be a stealth game
>>
>>322489084
I don't know. I found Jacob fun. Evie and Jacob really complement each other. Jacob is literally Edward and Evie is Altair. Works out pretty well.
>>
>>322475149

Make a solid ninja game like they hinted at in the end of the first one

I have literally never played the series again because they built up to that and then said lol nvm downgraded graphics and boring yrup
>>
>>322489698
Downgraded graphics?
>>
File: 14405866588811.gif (919 KB, 170x196) Image search: [Google]
14405866588811.gif
919 KB, 170x196
>>322475149
Nothing. They missed the opportunity to let it die with dignity when they made black flag (which was ok I guess).

Give it the old yeller treatment.
>>
>>322490101
imagine how good black flag wouldve been if it wasnt ac game
>>
>>322489897

Dropped from dx10 to dx9, shit-tier shadows, fewer particle effects, ugly flat looking textures, less people on the streets

Talking about PC though. I'm too lazy to find comparison shots ATM but it was pretty bad.
>>
>>322490191
in the same sense that black list would have been a good game without the sc tag
>>
>>322490315
In which one?
>>
>>322490716

>>
>>322490473
>black flag
>not good

best pirate game on the market friend
>>
File: 1432854558107.png (1 MB, 782x824) Image search: [Google]
1432854558107.png
1 MB, 782x824
>read some reviews of syndicate
>'at least it runs better than unity!'
>it still runs like dogshit while looking worse than unity

I shouldn't complain. The only reason I've played these games past the first two is because I somehow constantly get free copies of them with video cards and SSDs.
>>
>>322488219
I think the resident evil series has accomplished this. It includes several competent, attractive female characters and it doesn't shoehorn in any feminist agenda.
>>
>>322490773
Well they no longer do that I can tell you, anon. Unity was one of the best looking games out there.

>>322490838
Shit so I'm not the only one after all. Syndicate seriously run much worse than Unity not to mention looking worse, even using the same performance cost.
>>
File: 168186165654.jpg (39 KB, 400x442) Image search: [Google]
168186165654.jpg
39 KB, 400x442
>>322490815
it's also one of the only pirate games on the market
>>
>>322490938

Yes, I know. It's just that after I got off that train I no longer wanted back on later.

Black flag and syndicate look cool but not enough to get back into the lore
>>
>>322475149
Make the animations not look fucking terrible. Who cares about the difference between bamham mode, cane knife, and sharia law when all the characters do is flail around like retards
>>
>>322491182
Well there's hardly any lore after AC3.
>>
>>322490875
japs dont have same level of baggage when making females
western games female mcs are very limited as what they can be, practically always paragons of virtue with little flaws
>>
>>322488219
Emphasize the setting, atmosphere and story while putting less emphasis on action. The horror, adventure, and rpg genres are pretty popular with female gamers for this reason imo. Also doesn't hurt that these genres feature female protagonists more often than others.
>>
They really should have kept the whole pieces of eden and precursors thing more subtle.
Like it was mentioned a few times in AC1, then AC2 just straight up tells you everything
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.