[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NES Classic Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: 1446026596655.png (552 KB, 1044x804) Image search: [Google]
1446026596655.png
552 KB, 1044x804
http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic
Thoughts on this?
>>
More games than the PS4.
>>
>>345470952
There are a lot coming out.
>>
it's overpriced, but for someone who doesn't trust evil piracy it's a quirky little gift. Controller should have been usb though.
>>
>>345470836
It's shit.
>>
>>345471039
I remember hearing that a couple of years ago too.
>>
Needs wifi support so they could add additional games. or online play
>>
>>345470836
it's bullshit
i love nintendo but this is just playing too hard on nostalgia
>>
I think you're about a week late, OP. Don't act like only you know about this thing.
>>
PS2 Classic Edition when?
Would buy that shit hard.
>>
>>345471071
>Controller should have been usb though.
The controller can be plugged into a Wiimote for use on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console games. You can still use it on your precious PC with bluetooth, calm down.
>>
>>345471594
>that copyright nightmare
how many of the best ps2 games where first party?
>>
It's cool as a christmas gift, if you know a kid that has the misfortune of being stuck with only Microsoft or Sony for their short lives.
>>
>>345470836
The funny thing about is they should of done snes. It used a 65 variant chipset and even boots up in nes emulation mode despite Nintendo never using the backwards compatibility. Also original famicom is the best design
>>
>>345471752
>A kid
You're fucking joking. A kid will be bored with this in 5 minutes.

This is meant for nostalgic adults in their 40's and 50's whose only video games were the Atari and NES in addition to arcades.
>>
>>345471752
W-why are their lives short?
>>
>>345471914
>The funny thing about is they should of done snes.
Not extremely nostalgic as the NES will be for older folks.
>>
>>345470836
just download an emulator for free
FREE
Funny thing is, this will most likely sell more than the wii u
>>
>>345471039
4 whole games that will be shown at 7 future e3s.
>>
>>345470836
its shit. the games are dated.
you cant expand the library.
only shitty nes games, not the superior snes.

basically a nes emulator with production cost of 2$ p.p. sold for 60$.

i think everybody already has a smartphone and play these shitty games but they dont because they are shit. i still play snes games to this day but the nes games are worse than newgrounds flash games.
>>
>>345471691
none.
>>
>>345472081
>FREE
IT'S NOT MEANT FOR YOU.

It's meant for older adults that don't know what "emulate" means or that it's even a word.
>>
>>345470836
Will make normies flock to it and will make original NES prices skyrocket.

Prepare to buy a Mario/DuckHunt cart for 60 dollars.
>>
>>345472215
>the games are dated
spotted the millenial
>>
File: ZrOzwvK.png (4 KB, 252x233) Image search: [Google]
ZrOzwvK.png
4 KB, 252x233
>>345470836
I don't think anybody has commented on this at the bottom yet.

Implications there are going to be more of these things.
>>
>>345472408
Why would the original NES prices Skyrocket? Earthbound VC has proved this shit makes them drop.
>>
>>345471110
>>345472174
Ace Combat 7, Crash Bandicoot Remastered, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Deep Down, Detroit: Become Human, Disgaea 5, Drawn to Death, Dreams, God of War,
Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Hunger, The Last Guardian, MatterFall, Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, Ni-Oh, Nier: Automata, Rime, Spider-Man, Yakuza 0
>>
>>345470836
I think it sounds kind of like a neat little gift, but I'm a bit confused. Ignoring the fact it can't play cartridges, my gripe with it is that the game selection seems a bit small/odd. I get they have a limit, but some of this doesn't make sense.

>Castlevania 1 and 2, but no 3
>MM2, but not 1 and 3, or at least just 1
>Super C, but no original Contra
>No Startropics 2
>Pac and galaga, but no Digdug
>FF1, but no Dragon quest. I never got around to the series, so for all I know there might be a reason for that

That, and I feel they missed out by not throwing in some NES games that aren't really the most popular or best-selling, since they probably don't sell that much on vc.
>Urban Champion
>Clu Clu Land
>Mach Rider
>NES open tournament golf
>Wrecking crew
>Street Fighter 2010
>Bionic Commando

I mean, maybe it's asking to much, but since it can't run carts, only 30 games out of a whole library seems a bit odd.

Also, it's a pipe dream, but I would've enjoyed if they threw in Ninja Gaiden, or Eb0, or Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman. It can use wiimotes afterall. But I guess that's asking too much.
>>
It's a little too high for 30 roms.
They boost it up to 40 or 50 and add some harder to get games (as well as games that aren't available like Earthbound Beginnings) and pull Squenix's leg so we can get the Dragon Warrior games.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7loQmAngM94

Can't wait
>>
>>345472015

Social media and easy access to the internet kills a child's innocence very quickly.
>>
Won't be enjoyed much at /v/ which just emulates everything.

I WOULD pay for a SNES follow up though. I'm sure SNES games are "valued more" so that nintendo wouldn't settle for selling them less than 8 dollars a pop on every console.
>>
>>345472339
This thing is targeted at 30+ manchildren cucked by marriage wanting to relive nostalgia. They don't have the time, knowledge or simply can't be bothered to emulate so their wife will purchase this for them at Christmas.
>>
File: 71qAp13SnL._SL1500_.jpg (251 KB, 1500x1341) Image search: [Google]
71qAp13SnL._SL1500_.jpg
251 KB, 1500x1341
>>345470836
We already found the flaw
So it's over
>>
>>345470836
People are gonna list the games that does not include.

It got me at Gradius.
>>
>>345474507
>nintendo won't release nes mini cartridges to allow for even more games like the neo geo x
Jeez, idiots.
>>
>>345474507
Nintendo is simply jumping to the conclusion than an actual lid of some sort would cause retards everywhere to actually try to insert cartridges inside.

It's be cooler if it allowed SD cartridges.
>>
Would it actually be that more expensive to add wifi and storage?

It it played the original ROMs directly it would need less than a 1GB of storage.

Some money in infrastructure would be needed but still.
>>
>>345474507

>doesn't open
>it doesn't accept DS and 3DS cards
>it's not a DSTV aking to the Vita TV
>>
>>345475128
Would reduce their profit margins, wifi/storage would increase costs a fair bit.
>>
>>345475292
Increasing the costs would be a terrible idea unless they wanted to make one of those emulation consoles you can buy online.

This is really a licensed cash in nostalgia, they are supposed to be as cheap as possible.
>>
It does not accept nes cartridges out of pure lazyness

The retron 5 does multisystem
Fuck
>>
File: pes-nes.png (57 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
pes-nes.png
57 KB, 300x224
What will the hub/interface look like?
>>
>>345472215
That's because the SNES casualized everything relatively.
Give me one NES game that has a sequel on the SNES that wasn't significantly easier.
It's been happening every single generation.
>>
>>345475958

Maybe you're getting better at games.

DKTF kicked my ass.
>>
>>345470836
Oh man this is brutal (although strangely arousing).
>>
I thought we as a society were past these plug and play things by now.

Like I thought they were a fad from a fucking decade ago.
>>
>>345475128
Yes, and they know people will eventually mod the fuck out of it to play every single game.
If you really want a NES machine, then buy a Raspberry Pi or something and get a cool case for it. Maybe gut one of these things for one. If you want something that emulate everything, get something more powerful like an Odroid or build yourself a nice HTPC or something.
>>
>>345472215
>the games are dated.
Hello casual.

>you cant expand the library.
For the consumer this product is targeted to, that doesn't matter since it has everything those consumers would want.

>only shitty nes games, not the superior snes.
That's cute. It's to my advantage that idiots like you underestimate the NES's library though.
>>
>>345476083
Oh, I agree with you. Tropical Freeze is probably my favorite game to come out this generation.

I just think as a trend games seem to be getting generally easier with each generation, with some exceptions of course.
>>
>>345476290
Probably helps that pretty much every console manufacture or whoever owns them now from the 80's has made one except Nintendo.
We've had knock-offs and shit like the Retron, but Nintendo has never actually made an official plug-and-play console.
>>
File: 1392053666315.png (48 KB, 640x449) Image search: [Google]
1392053666315.png
48 KB, 640x449
>>345476489
It's probably time for you to head back to redddit
>>
File: 1454815537866.png (243 KB, 316x560) Image search: [Google]
1454815537866.png
243 KB, 316x560
>>345476885
And so far they all had some sort of emulation issue, specifically the Sega one. However, it seems Nintendo themselves are actually having this one manufactured themselves. I can only imagine with them including the compatible classic controller is they had a huge overstock of components and wanted to use them for something.
>>
>>345470836
>can't play cartridges
I'm disappointed.
Pretty overpriced too. It might still be a good Christmas present, though.
>>
File: shatterhand-nes-ingame-41349.png (5 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
shatterhand-nes-ingame-41349.png
5 KB, 256x240
>>345476489
>That's cute. It's to my advantage that idiots like you underestimate the NES's library though.

I didn't even grow up with the NES and I would consider it being my favorite console. My older brothers had one boxed away when I was growing up, so sometimes I would bring it out and play around with it. They sold most of their good games unfortunuately, so I was left with the Zelda games, Super C, Hogan's Alley, and then shit like Bayou Billy or Top Gun. I ended up buying some of the essentials like SMB/SMB3, MM2, etc.

When I grew up and got my own place, I went back and downloaded like every single worthwhile NES game, and I'm still working my way through them. Some of my favorite games now came out on the NES, like Shatterhand. Great fucking game. It's not super obscure, but a lot of people still don't even know about it.

I'd like to save up my money, take all the NES games from my mom's, and actually start getting a decent collection of the games I really like. It feels almost empty playing and enjoying all of these games, but now actually owning any of them.
>>
>>345470836
Half of the games are nonames or straight up garbage, like Simon's Quest.
>>
>>345470952
And the Wii U.
>>
>>345477387
>Simon's Quest over III
What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
Its neat. I probably wouldn't buy one for myself, but might get one for my nephews to keep them from becoming mobile game faggots.
>>
>>345477476
The Nintendo line-up is great, but seeing as how the third-party titles are kind of shitty I can only imagine that whatever licenses Nintendo were given to produce this didn't include their best titles
>>
>>345471968

Not all kids. My kid saved and bought his own NES and a bunch of games, even though we have multiple ways to emulate them. His friends (and friends of friends at school) love to come over and play the thing. It's not just an odd curiosity to them anymore and they regularly have tournaments playing stuff like Ice Hockey, Tecmo Bowl and Off Road.
>>
Why shouldnt i pay the same money on this that i'd spend on a new game for a recent system?

I get that emulators do everything, but this a good purhcase as far as novelty and plug and play.
>>
>>345473567
Sure thing, now actually come back when they are released and not shit, we'll wait.
>>
>>345477374
My nigga. I've been playing games long enough to have played NES games back when they were still getting released and before the SNES.

I used to be an "SNES is the best console ever" guy, but my NES collection has eclipsed my SNES collection by a significant margin. If you're looking to get into collecting retro games you've picked an awful time to start, but you can still find deals on great games.
>>
>>345477387
Simon's Quest is a great game hampered by an awful script.

>>345477476
Castlevania 3 is notorious for having issues with clone consoles, and we don't know how Nintendo is going to put these games on this system. You would think Virtual Console but I don't know about that.
>>
>>345478642
The argument was whether PS4 had a lot of games coming out. Doesn't matter if they're good or not, that's not the point.
>>
It's okay if you don't have a low range laptop and 10 bucks to spend on a USB controller. It opens up the possibility to some good shit, though.
>>
>>345479153
Yeah, it's kind of depressing seeing the prices of some of these games, let alone boxes and manuals.
Maybe some day I'll have the disposable income to drop $300 on DuckTales 2 or something and not even think twice.
>>
>>345479872
DuckTales 2 is in the $300 range now? Christ. I saw it in the wild for $120 about a year or so ago and while I could have afforded it, I passed on it because while it's a good game, it's not $120 good.

The best bet for playing games on the original hardware nowadays is to just refuse to deal with resellers and get a flash cart. Hell, you could even pick up Chinese multi-carts since they're actually getting good now.
>>
>>345479401
>Simon's Quest is a great game hampered by an awful script.
Maybe. I think it shits all over how amazing Castlevania was though.

The game was almost fucking perfect. The enemy placement, the level design, and your abilities all complement each other well.
The music is fucking god tier.
It looks great for an NES game. It's all spooky and shit while still being colorful and a joy to look at.

Simon's Quest takes everything that made Castlevania an amazing platformer and throws all of that shit out of the fucking window in favor of being a shitty Metroid.
Enemies are no longer a meaningful obstacle to overcome, but just padding to slow you down for a second or two.
Instead of learning to masterfully traverse tight corridors and platforms, you get to tediously run around doing fetchquests for stupid items.
The day/night cycle, while an interesting idea and I get the premise behind it, really just ends up being annoying.

It's a completely different game, and I can appreciate someone enjoying it, but I will always be mad at it.
>>
>>345480383
I wasn't saying it compared to Castlevania 1 or 3. As its own thing, it's a great game, but the script just makes no sense in English or Japanese and the long day/night transitions are annoying.

They tried something different and it didn't exactly turn completely right, but what did turn out right is really fun.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.