[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do people actually enjoy MMOs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1467204369879.png (206 KB, 393x404) Image search: [Google]
1467204369879.png
206 KB, 393x404
An MMO has never held my attention for more than a few weeks before I get bored of the terrible combat and boring location and quests.

Are there any MMO's out there with:
>Actual fun combat
>Actual interesting quests
>Fun content throughout instead of being locked behind 100hrs of playtime
>Not dead
>>
I'll take that as a no
>>
File: 1274752566298.jpg (59 KB, 344x326) Image search: [Google]
1274752566298.jpg
59 KB, 344x326
The MMO genre as a whole has always kinda sucked. Playing MMOs is largely about your desire to distract yourself from life and burn time. It helps if you have other people to play with and you like some element of the game enough to put up with the other bullshit.
I used to play Runescape all the time just for the quests. The grind fucking sucked, but when you're got endless time it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>345466293
Yeah, the only MMO I ever got into was Runescape, and I only played it because I was a little kid and there was nothing better to play on my shit PC.

Was excited to go back to 07scape but then discovered it was all nostalgia and the game is pretty shit
>>
>>345464162
>having add
>>
File: 1465396731550.png (550 KB, 494x467) Image search: [Google]
1465396731550.png
550 KB, 494x467
>>345466989
>playing boring games when there are fun games
>>
File: owenjakson.jpg (54 KB, 468x762) Image search: [Google]
owenjakson.jpg
54 KB, 468x762
>>345464162
I think the only MMO I played for any significant amount of time as a kid was Maplestory, and I played that for like a month. I tried WoW about a month ago, played for 2 weeks and quit. I just don't understand the appeal. Like, I get that people like getting more powerful and shit, but it seems like the most obvious bait in the world. "Play our game more so you pay us more so you get bigger numbers yadda yadda."

I mean hell, I've even gotten a bit of a soft spot for some normal RPG's because there's some level of experimentation and thought in some of the better ones, namely the strategy hybrid stuff. I blame Dota for that, but I only like single player shit now because I can't stand the kind of people who play RPG's a ton.
>>
SWG and MXO were the 2 mmos I actually enjoyed
>>
MMOs are for people for people who long for human interaction and real games are for people who don't.
>>
The genre exists as a sort of Facebook social thing. If you are know people or make friends in the game who play all the time its fun because your hanging out with your bros. Once you start playing alone you realize how shit it is.

I played WoW for about 7 years and thought it was the best thing ever, until my friends started quitting because of boredom and the real world etc. Once I was playing solo I realized how shitty the game really is and quit.

Funny thing is, if those dudes decided to start playing again I probably would too. But I'm sure they won't, those days are over.
>>
>>345464162
To be honest, ESO. It's still a MMO, so don't expect a quality of a good single player game, but some quest and locations are actually fairly interesting thorought the whole game and there are few quite well written characters. Unlike many MMOs it also doesn't look like complete shit if that matters to you. The combat unfortunately still kind of sucks, but the game is overally pretty entertaining. People often hate on it because it had a lot of issues during the beta and early period, which have been resolved long ago and because it wasn't Skyrim online they expected.

But MMOs are generally not good games, so if you don't want to specifically play one you would probably end up better by playing something other.
>>
>>345467729
>Look on ESO website
>Digital Game costs £30
>Go to amazon
>£8.00 for hardcopy

This can't be right
>>
I played the everliving shit out of UO when it first came out. It was like a wild west simulator - walking to the mine to do some smithing meant learning how to hide from thugs and murderers, going to dungeons alone was dangerous not because of artificial difficulty but because you never really knew what was going to be waiting for you, and there was an absolute ton of the game that was uncertain and unexplored. Dying was a huge pain in the ass and you actually fought to prevent it happening, rather than just thinking it was an inconvenience. It took a long time in the beginning before you started seeing actually talented mages and fighters. A year in and skills being in the 70s/80s was still considered strong as hell. People weren't power gaming, they were just playing.

Then expansion packs started coming and they made the two halves of the world where one didn't allow any player combat. Suddenly this crazy world where anything could happen and dying was a legit fear became predictable and "gamey." I stopped playing after that since it just wasn't exciting anymore, and since then I feel like every MMO has that same problem of just feeling sort of boring.

But man, those first couple years were fucking amazing. Stealing enchanted weapons out of the packs of people bragging in the graveyard then hiding in the woods while they freaked the fuck out. Stopping between every dig while mining to listen for PKs in the mines and hiding behind some rocks praying you don't lose your ingots. Damn.
>>
>>345468428
>I played the everliving shit out of UO when it first came out. It was like a wild west simulator - walking to the mine to do some smithing meant learning how to hide from thugs and murderers
I played a tiny Slav made MMO called Fonline. This is why I loved it. You could get killed anywhere outside certain "safe" areas (where you could still get killed, but the guards would attack your murderer). If you wanted to do something in a dangerous area you had to either bring well armed friends or you had to be very sneaky. If you died you lost everything in your inventory. The only rule was that players weren't allowed to exploit bugs. Scams etc. were all fair game.
>>
>>345467962
As strange as it is, it's true. Same with g2a, it's 4 times cheaper there than on steam or their site. And it's not a scam, cause my friend bought it there to play with me.
>>
the sex
>>
>>345464162
with friends
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.