[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do you get into the mindset of being a good healer in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
So how do you get into the mindset of being a good healer in an mmo? I've ever really cared to do it before but the astrologian job in ffxiv looks pretty interesting and if I get into it, I don't want to be a total shitter.

The closest I've gotten to that is playing support characters mainly lulu in league when my friend feels like loading it up and playing a couple matches. In this game I've pretty much mainly played machinist and paladin.
>>
File: 8201364925_9e78eb60e2_m.jpg (20 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
8201364925_9e78eb60e2_m.jpg
20 KB, 240x240
>So how do you get into the mindset of being a good healer in an mmo?

Just.. heal? Keep people alive? Want the party to not die? Stop asking stupid questions and just go do it.
>>
>>345457875
>ignore monsters
>watch these [||||||||||||||||||||||]
>push button when it looks like this [||||||||||| ]
>>
Just use a heal every 10 seconds or so and watch something while the other people clear the dungeon for you.
>>
>>345457875
>astrologian

Prepare for disappointment. The rng buffs are literally placebos and have barely any impact the rest of the class is either choosing to be a level 50 white mage or choosing to be a neutered fairyless level 50 scholar.
>>
>>345457875
If you're gonna play healer in FXIV the best mindset to have is to dps whenever you don't have to heal.

FFXIV heavily endorses the idea of dps healers.
>>
I hated healing, I was awful at it. I made it to some poison dungeon as SCH and people kept dying. I just gave up and lost interest in the game.
>>
File: mfw-healing.jpg (39 KB, 405x294) Image search: [Google]
mfw-healing.jpg
39 KB, 405x294
>I don't want to be a total shitter.
>Astrologian
>>
What? There's no special mindset, you press buttons like everyone else. Some things change depending on the game and possibly classes within the game (for example, one game might make it necessary to conserve mana which involves not casting spells unless someone is about to die so as to maximize your time regenerating mana while others might be very much spammy and in some cases you might even heal your group by doing damage) but ultimately you'll be using your abilities in ways that most benefit the group (like you should be doing with every class/role).
>>
>>345458189
>The rng buffs are literally placebos and have barely any impact
Shit, that was the main reason aside from looking cool I wanted to try it.
>>
>>345458273

>healer
>dps

Are DPS players honestly THAT BAD that they need the healer to do it for them?
>>
>>345458904
Tanks are usually topped off quick, so you're just standing here with your dick in your hand and a full mana bar
>>
>>345459341

And how many times have you yelled at DPS who are doing 60% of what they should be?
>>
>>345458584
Heres the buffs you get:
>balance, 10% damage up
>arrow, 10% attack speed up
>spire, small to refresh
>ewer, small mp refresh
>spear, cooldowns used while this is in effect will have a reduced cooldown timer (its really not that good and mostly a detriment outside of using it on yourself and maybe the tank)
>bole, 10% damage mitigation

Heres the thing though you have three effects you can apply to these cards by using an ability that burns the current card you hold. Depending on the card you burn you get a "buff" that acts as the effect you apply to the next card you use. The effects are:
>expand, reduces cards potency by 50% (so balance would be 5% damage up) but makes the card effect AOE
>extend, doubles duration of card effect
>enhance, increases card potency by 150% (so balance would be 15% damage up)

The shitty thing about this is that its all rng, so you can't consistently give put buffs that would actually help your party (such as aoe balances on 8-mans or enhanced boles), plus you need to royal road a card to make it worth it most of the time so you effectively can only buff the party every one minute IF you are lucky to draw a good combination.

Not only that but some of these royal road effects are fucking useless on certain cards.
Bole and Spear are only worth it with enhanced. Expand is only good with balance and arrow, etc.

On top of that Spire and Spear are almost completely worthless cards, Bole is only good on raids, and Ewer is literaly only helpful to yourself.

Nevermind the buffing aspect thouhh, the healing aspect of it has a shitton of issues. Having the worst healer dps also causes it problems.
>>
>>345458904
The better the dps the more dps you can do yourself, ast shitter.
>>
>>345458904
Healers dps in XIV regardless of your partys performance. Your dps can be fucking gods and you would still be expected to dps as a healer, even astrologian or white mage. Fucking deal with it or quit the game for something more casual.
>>
>>345459637

>expected to dps

lol no in real content you're expected to heal, and in shitter content who gives a fuck.
>>
>>345458584
Try Scholar.

They are the most active dps healer out of the three and their focus is damage prevention/utility rather than straight up healing. You also get an attack speed buff that your fairy can apply every 1 minute, its similar to astrologians excet that its more consistent at the cost of being slightly weaker (3% attack speed vs 5%).
>>
>>345459743
Even In real content even the main healer is expected to dps a little.

Just give up, nobody is going to agree with your trash opinions. Not even the devs.
>>
>>345459810
Eh, I really only cared about ast, and it they're THAT shit in application (and I mean in how their buffs work; I'm aware of the gambling aspect of it and was fine with that, hell I love a little RNGesus), then I'm just going to keep focusing on getting better with mch
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 800x731) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 800x731
>>345459743
Reminder that the conjurer questline is literally about teaching a conjurer that healing is not the only thing that there is to the class.
>>
>>345459983

lol doesn't matter what you or the devs say. I'll just continue to set my fairy to heal and watch Dexter while you're all killing monsters for the billionth time.

Thanks for the tomes :)
>>
>>345460286
>get vote dismiss for afk
Sasuga
>>
File: 1464048564502.png (891 KB, 947x715) Image search: [Google]
1464048564502.png
891 KB, 947x715
>>345460286
Implying I won't kick you at the last boss ;)
>>
>>345460436
>>345460405

lol never happened and been playing for over a year but sure have fun with your revenge fantasy :)

kek even if there was a kick, just instantly get in another group and have them clear it.
>>
>>345460601
>doing "dungeons" while afk is fun
Okay have fun paying for a $12 subscription fee for a game you're not acually playing.
>>
>>345460286
>tomes

You're not going to succeed afk healing a dungeon at high levels anon.

Nice bait though.
>>
Healer is truly a shitter job, they're even proud of it.
>>
>>345460898

oh noooo I have to heal every 20 seconds while my fairy does most of the work... how horrible.

>>345460436
>>345460405

The best thing is that sometimes people do speak up and I go "Why should I do your job? if you want a healer to dps so bad you should've queued for it." and they either keep being a sperg or they just leave and are instantly replaced by someone who won't bitch. Teehee.
>>
>>345460125
Astrologian is great, lots more fun than WHM, just play it if you enjoy it, the cards are amazing. Scholar is OP though, but as AST you're gonna be main healer anyway.
>>
File: 57207219_p0.jpg (248 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
57207219_p0.jpg
248 KB, 600x600
>>345461134
>>
-Learn to triage. It's not as important to heal the DPS that's at 20% if the tank is at 50% and is about to get hit by a tank-buster.

-In FFXIV you will be expected to DPS as a healer. Get used to the idea of not having everyone capped on HP.

-Learn not to care. Your job is to heal as best as you can without letting other people die. By that I mean that you can't dump all your mana in to the dps that's standing in the fire if it means you won't be able to heal everyone else in the party. This is also part of triage. Sometimes you're going to have to let somebody die so the rest of the group can live. It doesn't make you a bad healer, it makes them a bad player.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.