[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any fun free to play MMO's out there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15
File: neverwinter57.png (3 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
neverwinter57.png
3 MB, 1680x1050
Are there any fun free to play MMO's out there?
>>
No, its a dead genre.
>>
>>345439160
How can it be dead when there are so many of them?
>>
Riders of Icarus is ok....

But MMOs should just be renamed to WoW-likes now... and they're all terrible.
>>
TERA
>>
Nooooooooooo, no, no, no, no, nooooo, no, no, no, and no.
>>
>>345439069
They're all dead. Nobody even tries to chat anymore.
>>
>>345439853
Thousands of Chinese clones with no soul put into them
>>
>free
no.
>>
>>345439069
Eve is the only mmo that still exists in the first place.
>>
>>345439069
Play any for 2-4 weeks, have fun, move on and play a new one for 2-4 weeks, repeat.

That's the only way to have fun with F2P MMOs.
>>
>>345440137
are you the same guy shilling eve in all of these threads?

OP, if you dont care for balance, but just wanna have fun neverwinter has fun pve but pvp is completely broken. Tera would be my go to choice for free mmo.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (164 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
164 KB, 1920x1080
It's not that bad. Just play Blade & Soul and find yourself a good clan.
>>
>>345440239
>2-4 weeks

No. That's not how you play an MMO.
>>
>>345439069
Free only thing would be Wildstar in reality it's the most polished mmo for free out there that won't try to jew the ever living shit out of you.

Buy to play/subscription based
Black Desert Online is the only good paid mmo currently out, WoW is still there, but waning to XIV which is just reskinned 11 with WoW functions.

Everything else including shit like Tera, Blade and Soul, Vindictus are shit to what you can actually pay for.

You get what you pay for, but reality sake there is no right answer anymore. Even shit like EVE is dead in the water.
>>
>>345440430
That's the only way to have fun with F2P MMOs. They are designed to be cash grabs. They suck you in with interesting and fun low levels and then pull out a grind or make essential gear extremely hard to get so you can buy those cash shop goodies.
>>
>>345440430
That's how most people play an mmo now, free to play ruined the genre, because it opened this gate of normies that flooded over WoW.
>>
>>345440320
>just play a singleplayer game, that's totally an MMO
>>>/reddit/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/out/
>>
>>345440815
I gave him what he asked for.
why not point that same exact post to OP then?
>>
>>345440462
So, do you actually get paid to post this hogwash or did your parents shake you often as a baby?
>>
File: BladeSoul2.jpg (167 KB, 837x636) Image search: [Google]
BladeSoul2.jpg
167 KB, 837x636
Blade & Soul has the best boobs. Also it's full of lolli's.
>>
Try guild wars 2. It's f2p ever since anet backstabbed their old players.
>>
>>345441064
Do you play video games or do you just shitpost on /v/?
>>
>>345441272
What happened?
>>
>>345441524
They made GW2 rather then the sequel to Guild Wars.
>>
>>345439069
>MMO
>fun
choose one
>>
>>345439069
Forget MMO's for the next 3 years at least.
Don't insist, there's no fun to be found in this genre.
>>
>>345441524

They made the base game free when they released the expansion, and didn't give anyone who already had the base game shit for it.

>>345441564

This too I guess. Game has absolutely nothing in common with the first one at all past some names.
>>
Is anyone still playing such MMOs as Age of Conan and Mortal Online? Always wanted to try them...
>>
>>345441524
Base game used to be like $40. Then anet released their new expansion and made the base game $40 as well and made the base game free.

Every new player could just pay $40 and get both the base game and the expansion, but the older players, who had already payed for the base, didn't even get a discount for the expansion.

It makes sense from a business perspective. Older players are more likely to pay for more content. Most of them acted "offended" when anet announced their scam, but when the expansion was released pretty much everyone bought it like idiots.
>>
File: hot little grill.jpg (89 KB, 630x407) Image search: [Google]
hot little grill.jpg
89 KB, 630x407
>>345439069
>fun
>free
>MMO
Yeah no
>>
>>345441782
I'm a huge MMO fan, but I've come to believe that MMO's will never be as big as they used to. Just like the RTS genre.
>>
>>345439069
Just go play WoW on a private server.

No matter what other anons will tell you, no other MMO will ever come close to the perfection that is WoW.
>>
>>345439069
If you're willing to wait for it to go on sale, you can get the current entirety of The Secret World for 20 bucks and then it's free to play until more content comes out, then you'd have to pay more for it.
>>
>>345442182
>UO
>tibia
>h&h
>tricksters online
>eve
>wakfu
>dofus
>runescape
>mabinogi
All infinitely better than wow ever was.
>>
>>345442182
Tried it years ago. Granted I played on a vanilla server, but there were like 30 people gathered at the starting areas and every other area was literally empty. Played for 3 months because I'm poor and can't afford the subscription, but after a while it got almost depressingly lonely.
>>
>>345442085
I certainly can agree. When MMO's came to be, social interaction through the internet was something new and exciting. That alone was a selling factor for a game in this genre. We tolerated the gameplay restriction because we knew, tech just wasn't there yet.
But now we have so many tools at our disposal to communicate between ourselves online to the point of exhaustion and we know technology can give us much better gameplay than nowadays mmo's give us. So, what's the selling point anymore? It's not gameplay depth, it ain't social aspects, graphic, music? You can find better stuff elsewhere, you play one MMO, you've played them all. The fad has faded so unless something groundbreaking is put on the table, MMO's will continue to be a genre for meth addicts.
>>
>>345442293
so why is TSW not available in certain regions?
>>
>>345442347
>mabinogi
Mai Nigga
>>
File: EGjUqGL.png (403 KB, 799x603) Image search: [Google]
EGjUqGL.png
403 KB, 799x603
>>345439069

IOURPG

I get my steady mmorpg growth scratch itched, I dont need to play the 100's of mmos with shitty boring combat, has light social elements, and the grind is done for me!
>>
Has anyone tried aion? I probably have >600 hours on separate accounts on that game but after lvl ~30 I felt like I was at a huge disadvantage unless I payed for premium. Is this game still alive? I still remember how everyone used to call it the WoW-killer.... Good times....
>>
>>345442395
What? I have never heard of that.

At most, I've heard of American banks blocking transactions to Funcom because they're based out of Norway or something so the bank auto-declines it as a security measure.
>>
>>345442347
>wakfu
>dofus
>FUCKING TIBIA
You are objectively wrong.
I can see the appeal of Eve and Runescape, but they aren't "classic" MMOs, and certainly not what OP was looking for.
>>
>>345442538
lol'd really hard.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 360x270
Puzzle Pirates
>>
>>345442537
He's right, TSW can't be bought in certain regions. Brazillian here, tried it once. "Nope, can't buy it".
>>
>>345441250
Did they actually add her outfit into the game as a costume or do you still have to mod it in?
>>
Do you guys remember Silk Road Online?
>>
>>345442595
Well that's fucking weird.
Sorry to hear that anon.
>>
File: kill_me_k_ty_fampai.jpg (73 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
kill_me_k_ty_fampai.jpg
73 KB, 1920x1200
>SWTOR
Shit'd on everyone who has had an account for more than a month repeatedly.
>ESO
While it's rather decent now, it's also meh.
>WildStar
Once again it has been proven that raiders mean jackshit and that they don't keep games alive.
>GW2
Can someone pull a Nice Truck Simulator on Anet HQ please?
>EVE
p2wait, pmore2notwait. Unbalanced, broken shit.
>TSW
If you can get pass the atrocious gameplay...
>RuneScape
Love it or hate it, be it OSRS or RS3 (4?).
>Ragnarok Online
>RO in the 81st year of our King Elvis

For the first time in years, I don't have a MMO installed in my PC. Everything has been either awful or unremarkably boring for years now, just drop the genre for a bit. Let it die.
>>
>>345439069

f2p is a codeword for no fun but 10 times the price you retard
>>
>>345442537
not available in russia and maybe asia too, looks like funcom decided to make a pure white nazi MMO
>>
>>345442610
Not yet. But there will be a major patch this wednesday.
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 800x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 800x556
>>
>>345442732
New F2P MMOs were always fun, especially the ones with open PvP. There's no cash shop yet and it only takes a few days to max level. And when the inevitable CS gets added, you can still play hardcore for a while until it dies to P2W shit.
>>
File: wtf2.jpg (35 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
wtf2.jpg
35 KB, 600x339
>>345442347
tibia have not been good for 13 years
hotkeys ruined it
>>
>>345439069
>posts fun, free MMO
>asks this
>>
Star Trek Online is pretty good. Go romulan if you can, since their warbirds have special abilities, and only romulans can use the ships. At level 10, you get the choice to go federation or klingon empire, so you'll be able to use romulan ships or the ships of the faction that you choose. Space combat is the bees knees, ground combat is ok.

If anything, put $20 into the game for some inventory upgrades, then spend the rest on duty officers. Duty officers are basically NPC crew members that you can have on your ship, and they all have different jobs, like security, engineering, etc. Each duty officer has a special ability tied to them, for example a security officer may reduce damage taken in ground missions, or a tactical officer may reduce the cooldown on special torpedo skills. You can "equip" 5 space and 5 ground duty officers to get passive buffs to your ship and away team.

Also, you can send duty officers on special missions that occur in real time, which are divided by department. So, for the science department, you may be able to assign a generic science officer to chart a nebula for XP, or a specific astrogeologist to sample meteor fragments. Engineering officers can be used to analyze alien wreckage, run a scan and tweak a system on the ship (for a buff), or construct a prototype ship weapon (which you can then sell or use). Duty officers are also used in crafting items, which also occurs in real time. And since this all occurs in real time, you can max out your duty officer missions (20), then log off and go to bed. Next time you log on, they should be done (except for a few that are multiple days long, but have great rewards). They grant a metric fuck ton of XP, and also give items used in crafting or items that can be sold.
>>
File: Cry.jpg (146 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Cry.jpg
146 KB, 620x387
>>345442992
>>
>>345441974
I somehow still have some pride. I refused to buy the expansion and uninstalled gw2 the same day.

Am I still mad at anet? Yes.
>>
>>345441974
>tfw blindly bought GW2 because I was itching for a new MMO to play
>uninstalled it after a few hours
>>
>>345439069
You must be retarde to search for free to play MMOs. Where will their income come from? Stupid fucking kid.
>>
>>345442664
We're also locked out of Black Desert.

Being a civilized brazillian is suffering.
>>
>>345443138
Wel memed. People used macros for hotkeying runes before hotkeys were a thing.
>>
>>345446206
Black Desert is shit, so it's not suffering. They did you a favor.
>>
File: 1468563089990.jpg (952 KB, 1980x1080) Image search: [Google]
1468563089990.jpg
952 KB, 1980x1080
Look up Aura Kingdom.
Used to have an active /vg/ thread and a guild in life support.
Animu as fuck.
Lots of eyecandy and loli.
>>
>>345448015
Didn't Aeria release a new X-Legend MMO? I'm guessing 95% of the player base moved over to that right?
>>
File: Astrea01.png (888 KB, 883x590) Image search: [Google]
Astrea01.png
888 KB, 883x590
>>345448148
I'm referring to the private server that has more content than the Aeria server.
Granted, there are ching chong tool tips, but most of the content have barebones translations.
>>
>>345440030
They went too casual mode. Its dead. Fun factor and achievement factor is gone.

I recently played it about couple weeks ago. Leveled to mid 40ish.
>>
BDO sounds kind of cool for the pvp but the cash shop shit they've pulled has kept me from diving into it

I'm just playing riders of icarus atm. surprisingly not jewy even though it's nexon but casual wow clone as fuck.
>>
>>345442538
Tibia isn't bad for the reasons everyone says it is. The game for the most part still has quite some potential and has a nice blend of MUD and MMORPG features. But it's shit in many ways:

PvE:
-Game was hit harder than most MMOs in terms of information spread/wikis.
-"Mysteries" are bullshit. All quests are solved and on the wikis.
-The harsh death penalty affects mostly low/low-mid new players who don't buy gold or engage in much RMT.
-Bots are everywhere in the game.
-Community is shit.
-Grinding is insane and has no end because there is no level cap. Most high leveled characters (300+) botted at some point.

PvP:
-Community is VERY bad. You'll also get "hunted" by any mob of retards for no fucking reason and they will kill you until you're back to level 6.
-In "dominado" servers you are auto hunted if you play certain classes/reach certain levels or if you step into a certain hunting ground. The dominating guild will fill the server with bots and destroy your character for whatever reason.
-PvP is all about having a group, basically. It doesn't actually take much skill and never really has, despite what people say.
-All characters of the same vocation are identical aside of level/skill levels and equipment. There are only 4 vocations.
-Class balance is pretty shit and combat isn't very exciting.

Misc:
-Company doesn't do enough against bots.
-Company bans irregularly, a lot of the time they don't ban people who actually should be banned, regardless of reports, a lot of the time they'll ban people for dumb shit like misinterpreting something they said on chat.
-There are no GMs or company representatives in the game, the system relies entirely on players reporting others.
>>
>>345450439
Good aspects:
-Game is a nice blend of descriptive and graphical/action elements that is different from most games. It also blends old school with more recent MMO features nicely.
-Graphics are actually quite beautiful and interesting after the game got upgraded over the years.
-Appearance customization has a bunch of options, along with mounts. It has limitations, but it's good. You can unlock new outfits by doing certain quests but some outfits are cash shop only.
-You can also obtain mounts the same way.
-Many quests are really good and actually require thinking. But again, most people just follow walkthroughs.
-The world is REALLY good for exploration. The map is all blank by default and you uncover it by exploring. But then, most people just download maps from the internet or check where to go following guides/wiki.
-The world is really interactive and most of the stuff you find is an actual item that can be obtained/collected/destroyed in some way. Furniture can be used to keep things inside, flasks and other recipients can contain liquids and you can fill them with everything from potion liquids to urine. There are a bunch of nice little things that can be fun in the game.
-You can also take all those things to your house and decorate it. There is also furniture that you can buy/find and take home and fill with things. Most people just throw expensive equipment on every home tile though, so they don't even bother actually decorating.
-Houses/guild halls aren't instanced in any way. They are actual places in the game (casual areas in the city -and outside- and not particularly isolated) and people can look into the windows to figure out what's inside.
-The lore is quite good and they have been polishing/expanding on it in the past few years, and it's great.
-The game would be a pretty good platform for RP if you're into that, but no one actually does it.
>>
>>345440137
So, why doesn't but a miniscule community play it? Why doesn't it have standardized appeal like every other game and genre in existence? Every demographic can enjoy comedy shows, action films, dramas.. this "niche" drivel is bland and uninspired, just like the game's exhibition of sandbox gameplay. Yeah?
>>
>>345446856
Really? It looked good from what I've seen.

What ruined it?
>>
>>345448015
Quest hub system kind of sucks.

The issue of MMORPGs is that no one has figured the solution to the progression problem. All attempts at solving it so far simply suck. Maybe they should just do away with the idea that you start weak and then get strong at once.
>>
Toontown Rewritten.
>>
>>345451065
It's like archeage, but worse.
>>
File: 20160714045511_1.jpg (387 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160714045511_1.jpg
387 KB, 2560x1440
I enjoy star trek online. Its basically a starship doll dressup simulator, but its fun
>>
>>345450970
comedy shows and action films are just genres, like "space mmo" is a genre. if you look at specific examples of each of those genres, just like any other, there's going to be examples where some people like it and some don't. there's literally nothing universally liked. prop comedy for example is fucking awful garbage but normies eat it up
>>
>>345451879
is it still a pain in the ass to grind for higher teir ships?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.