[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people want No Mans Sky to fail?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
Why do so many people want No Mans Sky to fail?
>>
File: NoMansSky.gif (941 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
NoMansSky.gif
941 KB, 500x375
>>345431823
>>
>>345431823

It's been 4 year and i still have no clue what the game is about other than it has, let's say a gajillion of planets

That's why i want to see it fails, it's just hype and smoke
>>
>>345432926
fpbp
>>
>>345431823
memes.
>>
>>345431823
I can't wait for /v/ to be BTFO by NMS the same way they were BTFO by DOOM.
>>
It will fail. No one can tell what's fun about this game, it's only popular due to the wow factor at E3.
No, exploring procedural planet isn't fun. Let me hint you at something you actually do in this game and try to tell me it sound good to you:
Ressources.
>>
>>345434858
>It will fail.

Will it?
>>
>>345434904
10/10 would complain again
>>
why do people say it will either fail hardly or be a huge success?
Can't it be somewhere inbetween and just be a good game
>>
>>345431823
It's a preventive measure anon, just so that weaklings can protect their feelings from being hurt.

When the game comes out, if it's a good game? great! then they'll start saying how they though it was gonna suck but now that it's on their hands they can see the awesomeness.

If it's bad? Well, then they got proven right and they can lord it over the bunch of butthurt people that are crying tears of salt over the game not being good.

It's pretty much just to ensure they're never wrong and never have to eat crow for their shitty opinions. I'm waiting for the game to reserve judgement on it, but the one point I will give to the negative anons is that they haven't shown us what the game is about. Oh they've shown you flying to planets, landing on them, even the minecraft aspect, but what about the rest? if that's it and you're just thrown into the middle of the universe randomly with your little spaceship then have them own up to it.
>>
>>345431823
i can't wait for all the apologize threads.
>>
>>345431823
Why do you keep posting this thread is the real question
>>
>>345435380
>Can't it be somewhere inbetween and just be a good game
Because it doesn't look like a good game
>>
Spore and Starbound were failures. Defenders of NMS never justify how it's different from those other massively overhyped, featureless games.
>>
It's a walking sim. That's it. You can stare at everything around you but at the end of the day what can you really do that makes it worth playing?
>>
It wont fail but it'll be a disappointment.
>>
>>345440212
I think you can kill aliens and have space battles.
>>
>>345431823
It's more like the expectations are low. There's a certain kinda of hostility in nature that makes discovery interesting and that flora and fauna and weather and natural disasters is going to be very restricted in what it can actually do.
>>
>>345431823
Since we've been told there's something interesting in the centre of the universe and that's been made the primary goal, I feel like the first few days are just going to be a mad dash towards the center, only to have all those people beaten by someone who manages to go through the game's files, decrypt and spoil what it is that everyone is heading for.

I really hope there's substantial reasons to explore individual planets. But we know the chances of that are extremely slim.
>>
File: 1293162408364.jpg (176 KB, 792x828) Image search: [Google]
1293162408364.jpg
176 KB, 792x828
>>345431823
It's just anti-hype

If we believe in the hype and expect it to be the most amazing thing ever in the history of amazing things and it ends up even a little bit less than that it will crush us for an eternity. If, however, we are able to bring the hype down with negativism and disillusionment then maybe, just maybe, hype levels will be low enough to actually enjoy the game.
>>
File: 1468263598161.jpg (107 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1468263598161.jpg
107 KB, 720x960
Because it has been years and they've shown zero compelling gameplay. It's a walking simulator with poorly generated planets that are going to either have red dinosaur or purple dinosaur, and the most lackluster combat one can imagine.
>>
How does it feel that No Man Sky (like Gone Home or Undertale before it) is the most important video game this generation? Regardless of what you think about it, it has generated so much discussion about the philosophy of gaming that it has already impacted society more than any Mario game could ever hope to dream of.

Me? I'm buying it day 1. Regardless it it's good or not (it will be good, fuck the hater, they have absolutely no imagination and have no faith in developers who have been working on this for YEARS and you think they don't have algorithms in place to make more than quadrapedal mammals? YOU'VE ONLY SEEN THE FIRST GALAXIES YOUFUCKING COMPLAINERS. It get more complex as you move forward and they're SAVING THAT for the true players, the true gamers, and the people who actually care about gaming, fuck off), I will be taking part of this experience.
>>
>>345441325
>People try to say they've shown lots of gameplay
>Every video seems to just consist of them landing on a planet, walking around for a bit and then leaving
>>
>>345440212
It's literally a survival game. If you stay still you will be killed eventually. Maybe not so much on the earlier planets, but definitely the later ones.
>>
>>345434904
> Mighty no.9
>>
File: playerdot.png (295 B, 32x32) Image search: [Google]
playerdot.png
295 B, 32x32
>>345431823
>full priced game
>5 man team
>no content
>>
>>345441416
>People show actual gameplay
>Shitposters cry that it doesn't count and pretend it's only walking around and then leaving
>>
No one wants the game to fail, people EXPECT it to fail.

The game's promises are too good to be true, especially when we've seen fuck all of its potential. I'ts going to be Spore 2.
>>
>>345441419
>Later planets

You spawn randomly there is no later planet because it will be someone elses stating planet
>>
>>345441603
Perhaps you should have posted a video of this actual gameplay you speak of. Don't worry, I'll give you time to splice together some footage to make it look like there is some.
>>
>>345441508
Vita and 3DS version still being made

360 version had a delay on launch due to a cert issue (i wont explain why thats bullshit right now)

This game is just a fucking mess
>>
>>345441603
show me a video that isnt just walking across boring empty planets with copy pasted grass and trees

followed by flying to a new planet and walking across boring empty planets with copy pasted grass and trees
>>
>>345431823
Because people are cynical shitters that act like they play video games. The "Market" is consisted of mostly mouthbreathers.
>>
>>345434904
>mighty number 9
Lol
>>
>>345441603
You can fuck right off. How about they show something OTHER than just walking around planets?

They even teased a bit of talking to aliens but NOPE fuck you! you only get to see the first screen of that because showing more would be "spoilers"
>>
File: 1465434071027.jpg (172 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1465434071027.jpg
172 KB, 1000x750
That shit game was only hyped to death by sonynigs because they thought it was ps4 only.
>>
>>345431823
didn't you create the same thread yesterday?
>>
>>345431823
People don't hope or want it to fail. They know it will.
>>
>>345441675
No you spawn on the outside of the galaxy.

https://repo.nmsdb.info/?info=Starting_Off

>The planet you spawn on will be near the outside of the galaxy
>The starter ship will not be able to warp between systems. You will need to earn some Units, then fly up to a space station to buy a new ship
>Some starting planets will be more hospitable than others. Generally, those that are more dangerous will have better resources
>>
>>345434904

It'll probably be a commercial success, but it can't maintain the hype train once it's released and everybody realises there's literally no game there.

It reminds me quite a lot of Spore, which was massively hyped and looked amazing in all the demos Wil Wright gave, but once EA took the hatchet to it and it eventually came out, it fell completely flat.

I honestly hope it's good, the tech looks pretty amazing, but from all the stuff I've seen so far, I still have no idea what you actually *do* in the game, other than fly around.
>>
File: OP_Eren_Moon.png (160 KB, 403x372) Image search: [Google]
OP_Eren_Moon.png
160 KB, 403x372
>>345441683
>>345441739
>>345441771

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmJ8k9uBB0

>I-IT DOESN'T COUNT
>>
>>345431823
because noctis iv is better
>>
File: 1466726965055.gif (312 KB, 530x320) Image search: [Google]
1466726965055.gif
312 KB, 530x320
>>345431823
>Planetoids with only one weather type and a singular color scheme
>>
>>345441949
God it looks so boring. They are trying really hard to be interested.

No doubt the game is impressive. It's amazing that this can be done, but I don't think very many people will find it fun to play. It's only fun in it's premise, or in retrospect, but I imagine actually playing feels slow or shallow.
>>
>>345442279
>They are trying really hard to be interested.
>Look at them having fake fun
>>
>>345441942
I think the devs understand how badly spore did just as well as we do. Plus EA's not involved in any way
>>
>>345431823
My main problem with the game is that every single planet, tree and animal looks uninspired and boring.
>ICE PLANET WITH SPRUCE TREES AND YETIS
>POISON PLANET WITH GIANT MUSHROOMS AND SILLY POKEMONS
>DESERT PLANET WITH PALM TREES AND GIANT CRABS
>FOREST PLANET WITH RED LEAF TREES AND DINOSAURS

The idea behind their game is to give players ability to explore alien worlds, but nothing about these words seem alien enough. Everything is bland and unimaginative. They have a setting that allows you to go to town, create anything you want. But they didn't even try, and that's a real shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-T5VEueW0
>>
>>345431823
If you're not going to buy the game in the first place, why do people care at all?

Why has the "gaymur" community turned into such a circlejerk of self-entitled faggots and casuals?
>>
Millenials really thrive on being pessimistic and contrarian.
>>
>60 coins
>indie walking sim
I hate it because that's just impolite
>>
>>345442557
>How DARE somebody not like a game I like!
>>
>>345441354
What the fuck are you on about? Are you posting copy pasta NeoGaf fanfic?
>>
>>345442478

>No Man's Sky

You can do anything in this game.

ANYTHING!
>>
>>345440623
Space battles could be fun.
>>
>>345442405

I can't help but be reminded of it though, totally ambitious concept, great initial demos which lacked in actual gameplay but seemed amazing, huge hype...

Seems like there's barely any interaction between players in the universe too, which is dumbfounding, there's no co-op or multiplayer of any kind, practically the only thing you'll see that shows you the sign of another player is perhaps a planet named by someone, or an animal species named by someone, or something stupid like that.

I mean fuck, Elite Dangerous already has the massive universe, and you're flying around it with hundreds of thousands of other players all the time, you can group up and do assignments together, explore together, land on planets together, all of that stuff.

What does No Man's Sky have that should make me go out an buy it? The fact that everything is procedural? That doesn't necessarily make it good, it can never exceed content designed by an actual artist.
>>
/v/ is going to whine about this game up until release, then there are going to be SO many threads for a week talking about how amazing the game is. Because people will have given it a chance, and they will be blown away.

I'd say I'm looking forward to it, but honestly the real shift I'm eager for is when /v/ gets BTFO by Star Citizen.
>>
>>345442478
That's like complaining that Zelda: Breath of the Wild only has Golbin enemies. All the other Zeldas had cool enemies, hard bosses, but Breath of the Wild ONLY HAS GOBLINS. I mean, they only showed us the beginning part of the game, BUT THAT MUST BE WHAT THE REST OF THE GAME IS LIKE.
>>
Same people believing in this probably also believed borderlands actually had a billion guns.
>>
>>345442743
>single player game
>why isn't their multiplayer? this other game had multiplayer

Lol. Do you even hear yourself?
>>
File: 1450981894604.jpg (56 KB, 576x418) Image search: [Google]
1450981894604.jpg
56 KB, 576x418
>>345442478
>no harsh subzero world with great crystaline spires
>no horrific bioplanets covered in a fleshy exterior
>no subnautica 98% ocean planets

That we know of at least. The important thing to remember in an exploration game is that the promotional material cannot tip the hand, otherwise there's no point in buying it, on the flip side not enough information can lead people to think there's nothing to see.

I'm hoping they're just being a little too cagey.
>>
>>345442802
This.

Can't wait to watch an alien civilization from afar, watch its major moments, see it progress from iron age to atom age, watch its conquest over its own planet, the industries that tear at the planet and eventually consume the planet.

Finding a civilization mining its own moon.

Finding a world dead from its own nuclear fallout.

Finding a world to just. fucking. BREATHE.

It's going to be amazing.
>>
There's absolutely no EVIDENCE it will be good. Just lots of talk and fuel for imagination.
>>
>>345442802
They showed us dozens of different planets and concepts, and all of them are more boring than the others. They could hold something cool back and keeping it secret, but I really doubt that's the case. If anything, their latest reveals are even worse, that poison planet I mentioned had monsters straight out of Starbound.
>>
>>345442743
Are their actual discoveries to be made in that game? Seems like there's no life on the planets or variations like biomes, and your just moving cargo from spaceport to spaceport. The procedural systems in elite just Aren't fleshed out enough to have actual variation. Only advantage any of these games have over nms is multiplayer really.
>>
I don't care about it failing, I just think their claims are basically all empty marketing and realistically the game will be a lor less more interesting than the numbers thrown around make it sound.
Remember borderlands gajillion guns, etc
You'll have 10-15 hours of thinking everything is interesting, then you'll start to see the templates and recoloring and all the cut corners
>>
>>345442859

Some people have friends they like to play games with, and my point is there already is a space exploration/trading/combat game that has better features, looks better, has multiplayer, and I've got no reason to even look into No Man's Sky at this point, it literally has nothing that any of the other space games out already don't have.

Does No Man's Sky have anything that would make an Elite player want to switch?
>>
>>345442478
So you've been to every planet? The main draw of the game to me seems to be that you have no way of knowing that any of those planets you mentioned do or don't exist and you could try to look for ones like it. That's the reason why the devs haven't shown the craziest planets in the game which they've already stated.
>>
File: 1241521565666.jpg (86 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
1241521565666.jpg
86 KB, 600x429
>>345442872
>No gas giants you can drive through but not land on
>>
>>345431823
Because /v/ hates everything new and popular. hownew.ru
>>
>>345442872
He's literally said there are planets that are just only water. Or even the possibility that a planet is just made of gold.
>>
>>345442904
Implying this will happen.

Thats some "You can do anything" level bullshit.
>>
>>345431823
Its more of a prediction than a desire.
>>
>>345443327
like... made out of water? you can swim through it or
>>
>>345443156
Procedural creatures,weapons,ships,soundtrack,actual planet variation,volcanoes,glaciers,advanced creature ai,creature predatory systems,learning alien languages. Elite has none of that. The flight controls seem to be better though.
>>
I have never wanted a game to fail. I wish every game was a solid ten. This one though... It has promised to be so much that I just know it won't be worth my time. I want it to be great but I just know it won't be. From what I can tell it is a game of exploring and collecting resources to trade for....something. And fighting random AI space pirates. Who cares how many planets there are if there is nothing to do?
>>
>>345443365
Not just water other liquids like acid,alchohol,shit like that.
>>
>>345443024

I haven't played a lot since Horizons came out, but even just flying from system to system was pretty cool, there was quite a lot of variation in the planets you could visit and explore.

I guess you might think Elite is more boring because it's trying to be a more scientifically accurite representation of a real galaxy, and in reality there's not a massive amount of variation between worlds, they basically follow various basic rules of physics. Planets like Earth are overwhelmingly rare, but there's still all kinds of variation in gas giants, rocky planets, asteroid fields, ring systems, etc.

No Man's Sky is a cartoon version of a galaxy, they tweaked the generation formulae just to make things look interesting, rather than be realistic.
>>
>>345443183
>That's the reason why the devs haven't shown the craziest planets
That's the reason they don't exist. They had a video about how their procedural generation works, the code of the game itself is unable to create something actually crazy.
>>
>>345431823
Isn't it an educative game?
>>
>>345443365
Probably just one big ocean, not actually a ball of water.

However he also said that you can't dig below 128m, so I don't know if that means you won't have deep caves.
>>
>>345443565
Yeah, it's going to educate you to not be hyped for games that are being marketed to death on /v/
>>
>>345443486
But here's the thing. There's no gameplay on the planets. With no creatures of weapons to find or blueprints to craft. Hell if there's nothing on planet in nms you could dig down in the terrain and find cave networks with shit in them. All of the space games before nms just had no depth on the planets and fell back on just building mechanics to explain away the lack of things to do on the actual planet. There's a reason why no one was that hyped about space engineers or star citizen and that's they all are the same game ,same art style really with minor difference and little risks taken.
>>
>>345443585
lame. water world (actual only water) would be sweet as fuck

>>345443470
how would alcohol worlds form? hop planet that ferments over a billion years? pretty sweet
>>
>>345443365
Nah, probably just like Subnautica, océan world
>>
>>345443701
There's full on water worlds Sean confirmed it in that game informer podcast interview.
>>
>>345443373

Elite has the advantage of the emergent gameplay though.

I know it sounds like a buzzword, but being able to jump into a system with a few friends and essentially decide to be space pirates is pretty amazing fun.

On the other hand, you could fly around with your crew mining valuable minerals, some ships collecting the minerals, others flying protection against other players who decided to be pirates.

These aren't directed by anything specifically in the game, the objective of the game is just to make money to get better and better ships and equipment, and you can choose whatever way you want to do it, and then deal with the consequences of your actions.
>>
>>345443674
/v/ plays games like overwatch, bloodborne or pokemon GOâ„¢, not conceptual educative games, sadly.
>>
>>345443810
No mans sky is the same though making your own story and decisions is a huge part of the game . Just w/o multiplayer really all those things you stated are in the game. But I see your point like I said the only advantage it has over no mans sky is multiplayer.
>>
File: pia19839-galecrater-main.jpg (1 MB, 2472x1134) Image search: [Google]
pia19839-galecrater-main.jpg
1 MB, 2472x1134
>>345443683
>There's no gameplay on the planets. With no creatures of weapons to find or blueprints to craft.

I guess NASA should just give up then, they're not going to find any weapons or blueprints on Mars.
>>
>>345431823
cause you annoy the fuck out of people with your daily bait reposts

this game is the new king of shitposting just like tumblertale was
>>
>>345431823
You meant Nu Male's Sky?
>>
>>345444023
wtf I hate mars now.
>>
>>345444023
Hence why one wants to go there. Barren planets make for shit gameplay, the realism factor is only cool for so long.
>>
>>345431823
When did they change the name of this game? Why? Nomad Sky was much, much better then this new name.
>>
File: yoda pepe.png (47 KB, 436x424) Image search: [Google]
yoda pepe.png
47 KB, 436x424
>thinking it'll be a star wars like game
>the truth is there's nothing to do
>>
>>345434904
Yea
>>
>>345444023
>implying NMS looks like this
NMS even fails at being boring. Instead of realistic barren planets we got earth trees, grass and pokemons everywhere.
>>
>>345441803

This

sonycucks hype any turd if they have the impression it's exclusive
>>
>>345431823
I can't take big proyects seriously, molyneux took the best of me in that matter
>>
>>345444310 l
As stated by the dev 90% of the planets will be totally devoid of life
>>
>>345444195

Why does an exploration game need to have some kind of gameplay hook?

Elite doesn't have anything for planet exploration, other than the exploration rewards for mapping, etc.
As far as I'm concerned that's fine though, because the planet surfaces look pretty amazing.

If I could jump into a rover and just drive across a planet like Mars, and see what I could find, that would still be pretty cool for me.
I don't need stupid minerals to whack for a shitty crafting system, or random creatures to shoot to gain XP or some other shit. A cool environment to explore can be just fine on it's own.
>>
>>345431823
/v/ logic - if it fails its funny if it succeeds its fun

Either way, everyone loses

>implying enjoying the suffering of others or wasting our lives away playing pixels on a screen is a win
>>
>>345431823
I'm betting some sonyggers who aren't very glad about PS4 bleeding exclusives.
>>
How big is each planet
>>
ITT+game: Woa, it's fucking nothing
>>
>>345444915
its random, obviously
>>
File: planet zoom.webm (2 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
planet zoom.webm
2 MB, 480x480
>>345444915
>>
>>345445042
Damn you niggas don't even know how big at minimum your planets are eh? Oh well
>>
>>345444915
From the size of you dad's dick to your mom.
>>
>>345444915
for you
>>
>>345444915
Planet sized.

Maybe smaller than earth, but still too big to realistically explore all of it.
>>
I wish I knew whats that thing that people use to see if the OP's post is used before and how many times.

Most of these threads are just copy pasted with the same text and same images. Its not even good shilling or fanboying anymore. Its just repeating the same thing over and over again.
>>
>>345445196
Why would a person eventually die living off of a single planet then
>>
/v/ built up a ridiculous idea of what the game was claiming to be, and then attacked that as it was clearly unfeasible. Of course /v/ is going to love to hate on all those idiots that are mindlessly looking forward to something that isn't going to be anything like what they expect.

Meanwhile if you have actual realistic expectations, and know that you're into simple exploration games like that, it'll probably be an enjoyable enough game.
>>
>>345431823
Want it to be a failure? Are you fucking kidding me? I think they're misunderstanding the people who talk shit about the game. I'd love for it to be amazing, but it doesn't sound like it will be worth a damn. Peter Molyneux had more intriguing ideas.
>>
>>345444723
>Elite doesn't have anything for planet exploration, other than the exploration rewards for mapping, etc.

elite is a good example how exploration of random generated environments is actually extremely boring and only interests a few hundred people tops, see the elite exploration community events.

no man's sky will be another normie-bait game.

it will be a game that simulates a space game for people who don't want to play a space game - just like skyrim did for roleplaying games. skyrim is one of the most convincing roleplaying-game-simulations and basically translates all interesting lore and complex quests of a real roleplaying game into easily understandable fetch-quests and chores, so that even a twitchwhore manages to complete the game while they can focus on talking about themselves.
>>
>>345445329
There' no food requirement or anything. You don't just die. If it's relatively non-hostile you'd be fine. But you'd eventually mine all the resources, see all the people/aliens, then probably get bored.
>>
>>345442478
Planet with trees and snow and mammals wandering about.
> -163 degrees C, extreme cold
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>345440930
>Arachnid
>4 legs
>>
>>345441803
Don't start platform wars, you're all braindead kids.
>>
>>345445313
Learn to filter, noob, or stop crying like a faggot
>>
>>345445832
This is what break your suspension of disbelief?
>>
Because i think it will be shit?
>>
>>345431823
I don't want it to fail, I want it to succeed.

Unfortunately, nothing I've seen of it so far has convinced me that it will be anything more than an endless amount of randomly generated boredom. NMS will have infinite worlds to explore in the same sense that Skyrim has infinite quests to solve. Technically correct, but everyone except the worst autists and fanboys will bother doing more than one or two before getting bored with them.

Just because I believe I have every reason to expect it to be shit, doesn't mean I actually WANT it to be shit. It just means I have some common sense and don't buy into every new hype.
>>
>>345446523
Say Skyrim has 50 caves. The first 10 caves are really fun, but then you start to see patterns in design an dit's boring.

Why can't it be the same for NMS? Why can't we enjoy the first 20 planets a lot? NO GAME comes with the guarantee that it will "always be fun," but you seem to be interpreting that this game is advertising infinite hours of fun. Most games are < 15 hours, and even if it only offers that much before it gets stale, it's still a success.
>>
>>345446752
>The first 10 caves are really fun
No, they're really not, because it's just 10 times exactly the same thing.

>you seem to be interpreting that this game is advertising infinite hours of fun
Yeah becuase it's not like all of their advertising centers around how it would take 6 billion years to explore the whole game or anything. I wonder how anyone could ever get the idea that this game is advertising the exact thing they're advertising!
>>
>>345446279
Unfortunately for me, yes.

They seem to have really tried to offer something that is believable, even if it's not a space exploration simulator.

However, this absolutely ridiculous oversight breaks my immersion and suspension of disbelief.

-160 degrees C is a helluva low temperature, "extreme cold" is not even close to accurately describing it. Multicellular life as we know it (carbon based, cell based, flesh based) cannot properly function at those temperatures. Assuming it can, though, it would be something with an extremely low metabolism, therefore movement would be barely perceivable, because it makes the organism lose heat, which is a big no no at such temperatures.

Having something that resembles a mammal wandering about with the speed of a dog, not giving a shit - that is preposterous.

I'm 31 yo and I guess the older I get, and the more sci-fi I consume and learn about the universe, the more I lose my patience with this unresearched crap. I can't read space-operas anymore because there are humanoid aliens at each step and everyone treats FTL as a solved problem.

Hard sci-fi is the only thing that moves me - I recommend you all some Greg Egan.
>>
>>345431823
>that article
>It's an indie game so gamers are wrong for comparing it to AAA games! You only hate it because your expectations are too high!
No. You don't get a free pass for being indie. Your game is $60, so that's what defines my expectations, not whether or not it's made by amateurs.
>>
>>345447565
It`s not Earth though is it fuck head so it doesn`t matter what information we have on multicellular life when it is an alien species.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>345447834
>dinosaurs can survive -160C cold cut it's not earth xD
Idiot.

Physics and chemistry is the same everywhere, being on a different planet doesn't change their rules for some unknown magical reason.
>>
>>345445832

Looked more like reptiles.
>>
>>345443701

this guy

this guy needs to learn some science
>>
>>345432926
This only made me more hype for the game
>>
>>345445130

hey, that's pretty cool
>>
>>345445130
>an entire planet of dull brown desert

This is exactly why I expect this game to be unbearably boring
>>
>>345447834
What are you, 10 yo? Learn some physics.
>>
>>345431823
It just seems like there is nothing to do it. All you do is fly around through bazillion of samey looking planets.
>>
>>345448552

welcome to space, anon.
>>
>>345431823
It seems like the latest "fake-hyped" game, in the vein of Titanfall and Destiny before it.

Everyone will buy it, be immensely disappointed once they realize that there's fuck-all to actually do in the impossibly ginormous universe, and then promptly forget about it and start drooling over the next unreleased shitpile of empty promises and flashy trailers.
>>
>>345448660
The game obviously isn't going for realism, so why not bend the rules a bit to make things actually fun to explore?

Besides, the idea that every planet is 100% a single biome is retarded as all fuck.
>>
>>345441942
except NMS doesnt really look amazing in the demos. I'm hoping there is a lot more to the game thatn the devs are demoing, and if there is we probably wont see it after two or three weeks of release. but this is me being hopeful because I want to play this type of game.
>>
>>345447565

>unresearched

i highly doubt this is to do with a lack of research, it's just that they didn't tie the climatic and organic systems together for some reason. i find it annoying too but the idea that they aren't AWARE of this issue seems a bit preposterous.
>>
>>345448890
Being aware of the problem and choosing to do nothing about it doesn't make it any better.
>>
>>345448781

they have bent the rules, a lot actually, which is why you say it 'isn't going for realism'. still, the idea is that there is a lot of variety, with many barren planets that might yield hidden treasures of some kind.

>Besides, the idea that every planet is 100% a single biome is retarded as all fuck.

sure, but many planets in our universe actually are 100% desert, the word 'biome' doesn't really apply though
>>
>>345441949
that first video is actually pretty cool
>>
>>345449061
>the word 'biome' doesn't really apply though
It does when there are obviously plants growing on that planet.

What you call desert planets are just lifeless rocks, often with no atmosphere to speak of. But that doesn't seem to apply to NMS planets at all.
>>
File: afuck.jpg (100 KB, 555x526) Image search: [Google]
afuck.jpg
100 KB, 555x526
>>345441949
Jesus christ, that dude in the playstation video is so fucking annoying.
>>
>>345444023
This is what bugs me about the current mindests of a lot of people that play these games. If a planet isnt teeming with life and pretty landscapes then it's boring. To me it's cool that you're a character on some far off uninhabitable planet that no one has discovered. I dunno, I guess im old fashioned and have an attention span.
>>
>>345449268

>But that doesn't seem to apply to NMS planets at all.

reportedly there are completely lifeless planets but we'll have to wait and see.
>>
>>345450198
I suppose so, but that doesn't change the fact that the animation I replied to is an incredibly dull single-biome desert planet.
>>
>>345449991
>I play video games so I can sit on an endless brown plain with nothing to do

Even if this was true and you're not just being a pedantic little shit for the hell of it (and we both know you are), why pay $60 for it?
>>
>>345450343

again, welcome to space.

the single biome thing i'm not gonna defend, it seems on the surface to be a frustratingly limited aspect of the game. however i don't see how that it's fair to say the game is gonna be boring based on seeing one or even a handful of barren planets. the whole point is isolation, variety and discovery. and even if a given planet is more or less just rocks, it can still be interesting.
>>
>>345450458

the whole point is that some planets like that exist and some planets with stargates and flying whales and geometrically improbable rock formations/vegetation and so on exist. the idea is that if you see ten barren ones it makes the fascinating ones all the more worth it.
>>
>>345450458
Because I can afford to do so. I am not living with my parents. :^)

And I am not being pedantic. It is nice to have moments of respite even in action games. all types of entertainment media use some sort of plateau to instill atmosphere, story, or flavor, even if it is a very small amount like an empty dessert or an endless ocean. again, grow a bit of attention span. not everything has to have call of duty space mcshooty blowy splody quippy mickey pace.
>>
>>345450608
I'm not saying it will definitely be boring. Hell, I'm really hoping it won't, because I could definitely get into a game like this, provided it had enough content to keep me interested.

I'm just saying that I've seen the screenshots and watched the gameplay videos and seen nothing that convinced me it'll be anything but boring.
>>
>>345431823
>>345431823

It'll be a good game but not enough to warrant the hype and bullshit marketing.

>DO ANYTHING ANYTHING
>COUNTLESS ENDLESS

The devs hyped it too much and are selling the game as something it's not.

Crafting isn't even as diverse as those early access shit games.
>>
>>345450343
>what are moons
>what is mars
>what is jupiter

you'r right single biomes arent real fuck this game reeee
>>
This is gameplay of a planet with no creatures no buildings or anything and it's already more interesting than walking around any procedural space game planet I've seen so far. He's litterally just walking around to show how the planet generation can make interesting worlds and I'm completely sold. If this is how a boring planet looks what's a completely underwater planet gonna be like?? https://youtu.be/4l1VcqNMfVs
>>
>>345450790
>if you dislike boring things you must have no attention span
>also you must be poor and underage
>amirite, fellow oldfags :^)
>but I'm not just being a pedantic shit, honestly!

You're pathetic.
>>
>>345450854

that's fine, i just take issue with you deriving that judgement from a webm showing one aspect of the game. i personally am excited about the game just because i find both proc gen and space interesting. i don't expect an earth-shattering cosmonautical romp from a small indie team who made a stuntman game.
>>
>>345451060
why so angry, Anon? did I strike a nerve?
>>
>>345451060
>You're pathetic.
Said the guy who's been shitposting every NMS he could find for months.
>>
>>345441416
Yeah because that's all the game will ever be. A glorified interplanetary walking simulator. Ficking hell, I can't wait to see the faces of all the butthurt retards that pre-ordered the game.
>>
>>345433181
pretty sure it was revealed 2 years ago
>>
because people dont like the idea of procedural generation, and if this game fails, it will highly discourage using it in future games
>>
>>345451496
I like walking simulators. they're pretty much the only games I spend money on these days
>>
i smell like cum
>>
>>345440930
>>345445910
Do you have any video reference of a creature walking with four legs like these? As in, the "foot" is just a singular digit and not a foot with toes
>>
I want NMS to be amazing, but I think it will fail to live up to its own promises, and certainly won't live up to the hype.
>>
>>345451496

it genuinely boggles my mind that people call this game a walking simulator. where does this shit come from?
>>
>>345441949
I hope they improve the AI and that your actions have consequences.
The drones' movements were Fallout 4 tier and it seems like that alien doesn't really give a shit that the player just tried to destroy and rob that resource depot after he respawned.
>>
>>345432926
>implying all planets and stars wont be the same size
>>
>>345453502
clearly not. they even have algorithms changing planets depending on how close/far they are from the sun. you can even mine asteroids.
>>
>>345431823
Why do you post this exact same thread every single day?
>>
>>345432926
Savage
>>
Don't want it to fail. Don't think it will fail. It'll sell well and get nice reviews.

And then everyone will forget it existed in a month.
>>
>>345431823
coz its flavor of the month. people feel insecure about new titles when they cant afford shit :^)
>>
>>345453869
This is the game of the year. People will know. It's important to discuss before, during, and after when a big game like this comes along.
>>
>>345431823
I want it to fail only if it deserves to fail. I want SFV to fail because it deserves to fail. Does NMS deserve to fail? I know nothing about the game.
>>
>>345431823
it's the typical hipster reaction of "oh, something is becoming popular, generating enthusiasm - I BETTER START HATING IT"
>>
What if instead of billions of procedurally dull planets, they made 1 planet which tons of cool crazy shit in it.
>>
>>345431823
I don't want it to fail, but the marketing dept is digging NMS into a big hole.

Not many people know that 90% of all planets are going to be completely barren, just resources and trading posts, no natural life at all. Instead, all they see from teasers and trailers is space dinosaurs! They will inevitably end up very disappointed when they finally get the game.

And of course, it will be a field day for trolls as well: "lol, no life, fail" and all that shit.
>>
>>345455261
That requires talent and attention.
>>
>>345443242
That would destroy your ship all the same as ramming into a rocky or ice planet. The gas creates immense pressure that would crush you as you go deeper
>>
>>345431823
So, given the fact that everything is procedurally generated, does this mean that once you leave a planet, when you come back (seconds later say), everything has changed? That seems a poor design decision if true, as people generally expect some kind of persistence.
>>
>>345455261
I think a lot of the game's charm is being able to experience what it's like to be alone in the universe. It's not exactly the same thing on just one planet.
>>
>>345448272
Nah, sounds like you need to learn some history.

The alcohol planet that's been fermenting for billions of years is just a skip and a hop away from the meat planet.
>>
>>345456539
No thats why its called >Procedural< generation. Its technically random, but an algorithm makes it have the same outcome every time its generated based on the original seed.
>>
>>345456539
Procedurally generated does not mean procedurally deleted.
>>
>>345442662
millennials are also shallow ego-driven drama queens.everything isn't always about you, sweetie. most people don't give a single fuck about you.
>>
I just hate how the devs never answer a fucking question about their game.
>>
>>345456539

Why couldn't a new seed code be created and stored based upon changes made to each planet you alter? Each world you revisit would have to load a little longer but that's better than them magically resetting.
>>
>>345457014
I see, that makes sense, thank you anon. I forgot about seeded random number generation. Just think how many random number generators they must have in this game. I mean you would want to use the same probability distribution for some things, but different ones for different types of things. It boggles the mind.
>>
>>345457174
>sweetie

>>>/tumblr/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>345457517
good point, I just wonder at what point will the system become unstable because of too much on the side of stored persistence that you are loading and less dynamically generated content?
>>
>>345457594
>he used a word that triggers me! how dare he!
millennials amirite?
>>
File: dollface.jpg (206 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
dollface.jpg
206 KB, 700x700
>>345457713
Not the guy you responded to, but holy shit you are making me cringe
>>
>>345457931
>Not the guy you responded to
Ehehehehehe
>>
>>345458020
stop posting
>>
>>345457713
Actually, /v/ is just contrarian in general. You can argue that it's full of millennials now since we are on neo /v/, but people have disliked this game ever since the first trailer was shown.

My point still stands. Ironically, you type like a triggered millenial.
>>
File: 1399618031457.gif (966 KB, 381x216) Image search: [Google]
1399618031457.gif
966 KB, 381x216
>>345434904
>new Call of Duty not even in the top ten
>Battlefield 1 at least ten places below it
Beautiful.
>>
Because it looks good and nobody in this shithole actually likes video games unless they're gook underaged panty quests.
>>
>>345431823
The open world, crafting, survival sandbox genre must die.
>>
File: 1449330289045.jpg (760 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449330289045.jpg
760 KB, 1920x1080
>>345445397
This.
>>
>>345431823
minecraft clone
>>
>>345445329
Boredom.
>>
It's not that I want it to fail, I just think the way the developers are describing it makes it seem like a much bigger deal than it actually is.
>>
>>345432926
was expecting "my disgust" but this is pretty good
>>
File: 1455062917239.jpg (5 KB, 180x151) Image search: [Google]
1455062917239.jpg
5 KB, 180x151
>>345445832
furthermore
>go into a cave
>temperature rose by 150 degrees C
>>
>>345447565
>They seem to have really tried to offer something that is believable
No they haven't.

Have you seen how close to each others the planets are?
>>
>>345452235
One of the devs compared it to gone home gameplay wise after being badgered by an interviewer about what the hell the game is about, there was a webm floating around but I have no idea what the original source is.
>>
>>345448552
Christ, you're really looking to turn everything people post into an argument about why the game will suck.
>>
>>345448115
dinosaurs were on earth too, not the best example
>>
>>345442904
Jesus that is some real speculation you got there
You're going to be incredibly disappointed
>>
>>345462143
>Have you seen how close to each others the planets are?
this
if you want me to enjoy space travel
make it believable
>>
>>345463235
Believable like the BILLIONS of UNIQUE planets, the UNIQUE creatures and that sort of thing
>>
>>345442778
>then there are going to be SO many threads for a week talking about how amazing the game is.
No there won't. They will continue to shitpost as always.

Anyone who likes it will be on /vg/, where there is a better chance of decent discussions.
>>
>>345463783
yeah that too
finding life should be something you look forward to
but instead it's fucking everywhere
oh and you know those uncharted galaxies?
well some asshole and a whole network of traders and pirates are already there
and it has teleport monoliths
>>
The whole smooth transition from space to planet thing is basically my dream mechanic. If we had a Battlefront with combination space+ground battles where you could hop in a TIE fighter and leave the planet to join the battle overhead or take a dogfight from space down to surface, then hop out and continue the fight on foot I would bust a nut every single time I played it.

But it seems like all NMS has is the transition part with little to actually do with it.
>>
>>345463783
It's not so much that they didn't use some kind of miracle code to create millions of uniquely generated creatures/planet landscapes, it's the fact that they didn't even try and just settled for 10 recolors of the same general creatures. No effort was made to really make this game "infinitely playable," it's just marketing buzzwords.
>>
File: 1451306899260.png (2 KB, 300x171) Image search: [Google]
1451306899260.png
2 KB, 300x171
>>345464086
>/vg/
>decent discussions
>>
>>345464230
So much for "90% of 10% will be evolved life"
>>
>>345431823
Shitty graphics, no gameplay.
>>
>>345464370
I said "a better chance" of decent discussions, which you can't deny compared to the shitposting that goes on here.
>>
File: 1468487337006-v.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1468487337006-v.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>345434904
>Mighty No. 9
>>
>>345451034
It will get boring after 15 minutes when you'll realize that procedural generator shits out the same thing everywhere. It's like walking around in minecraft and expecting something interesting.
>>
>>345449991
>attention span

It's called video game not a video hope-something-interesting-happens -afterwalking-around-for-7-hours
>>
>>345464624
No, /vg/ is worse.
In fact it's 100% shitposting.
No useful discussion whatsoever.
At least 50% of generals are fucking waifu and porn threads.
>>
>>345433181
That is not a reason for wanting it to fail
You dont know if its hype and smoke till its released so ur just mad because of a reason i can not think of
>>
The ONLY thing that could save this game was if it was persistent online multiplayer. It isn't. Thus, it will be worse than Minecraft in the boredom factor. Repetitive universe-scale procedural garbage is still procedural garbage.
>>
>>345464972
Minecraft used to have that "something interesting" in the earlier updates.
>>
>wow a blue planet
>wow a red planet
>wow a green planet

repeat 18 billion times
>>
>>345431823
I dont want it to fail, I would love if it can live up to even half the hype. It just seems like the devs are setting it up to fail though, hype is to high and it looks like they are trying to cover up a lack of stuff to do with big numbers fro worlds and stuff. Probably gonna end up getting it though
>>
>>345434858
Dude I will spend countless hours exloring planets, you dont even know
I have waited so fucking long for a game in which you just can let yourself go, dont have any ruleset and are free to choose your next direction
I like Open World games because of the exploring aspect, what could be better for me than No Mans Sky?
>>
in these threads people discuss how the game is shady because there's not enough game footage and detailed information, and some of the things the dev has claimed are either false or contradict certain game elements like the bit about multiplayer, overhyping procedural generation and the hard truth that there's not much core gameplay beyond exploring, mining and trading with NPCs or killing them

these rest bitch to these people because they are butthurt that their precious game is being attacked

devs lied, not their first utter shit game either
>>
>>345431823
Probably the same reason why people want to see other people fail in general.

There is an undeniable pleasure in seeing others go through a hard time.

I don't actively wish for games to fail but I do enjoy it when they do.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>345465460
Seriously these planets are awful
>>
I want to be hyped for it (and I really was after the reveal) but it doesn't seem like there's enough in it to justify spending $60 for it.
I do hope that it turns out to be good.
>>
>>345465672

is this a troll? that's KSP
>>
>>345464321
>Lying on a game because you hate is so much
>>
>>345431823
I don't want it to fail, but I bought Spore day one so I know exactly how this will all play out.
>Co-Worker is beyond hyped.
I pity him.
>>
File: soup.jpg (404 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
soup.jpg
404 KB, 1920x1080
>>345465672
>>
>>345450993
Would knowing that every single planet is going to be a single biome take away from the discovery fun of the game, I wonder?
>>
>inb4 NMS is the new Undertale for /v/
>>
File: nms.png (958 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
nms.png
958 KB, 1024x682
Because it was falsely advertised.
>>
>>345467505
Dude they were so fucking careful with this statement, it was the media and shit like those threads who got it wrong and spread the rumor of it to be a multiplayer
>>
>>345467760
90% of that is direct quotes from the devs.
>>
>>345468145
Yea but taken out of context
>>
this game is gonna be some shit borderlands 2 type game with worlds as different as the worlds in minecraft

prepare your asses for maximum disappointment
>>
File: 1468824740456.jpg (4 MB, 4500x2450) Image search: [Google]
1468824740456.jpg
4 MB, 4500x2450
b-but.. no variety omg
>>
>>345431823
mainly because the game is marketed on an undeliverable hype that gamers have been burned on over and over.

It's spore all over again.
>>
>>345448552
Then. don' t. fucking. buy. it.

You millienials with your constant need of handholding through a game is toxic to the whole industry.
>>
>>345441949
>mfw watching this second video

holy fuck this game looks absolutely fucking boring

it's like minecraft: space marine edition, what a snoozefest

>I post on a board with people who probably pre-ordered this game
>they also pre-ordered the special edition because they love wasting their money that much
>>
>>345469645
ALSO THIS HUD IS JUST STRAIGHT FROM DESTINY

LITERALLY A CHEAP RIPOFF WOW
>>
>>345445130
That's a tiny planet. Some asteroids are bigger than that.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.