[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any stealth oriented game where you play as a burglar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13
File: burglar breaking in.jpg (595 KB, 1556x1060) Image search: [Google]
burglar breaking in.jpg
595 KB, 1556x1060
Is there any stealth oriented game where you play as a burglar in a modern day setting?

Or is thief the closest thing to it in terms of a stealth game that doesn't play like shit?
>>
File: pd2 meme masks.jpg (136 KB, 1023x380) Image search: [Google]
pd2 meme masks.jpg
136 KB, 1023x380
>>345424929
Payday 2 and its stealth-oriented missions are the closest thing there is, I'm afraid.

Too bad the game's turned into horrible DLC shitfest, with a good 2/3 of the entire game being behind a pay-wall.
>>
>>345424929
Dishonored is the only thing going that even comes closes.
Sorry, anon.
>>
Don't think so. Splinter Cell takes place in the (more or less) present day but you're not a thief in it. And actually Thief is the only stealth series in general that you play as a thief/burglar in.

>>345425126
You don't really play as a thief in Dishonored though even if you do pick up stray coins and steal money off NPCs. Also it's not modern day.
>>
File: Burglar-GTASA2.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Burglar-GTASA2.jpg
58 KB, 1024x768
>>345425106
>>345425126
fuck

do any of you have any experiences of someone breaking into your house when you were away or not?
>>
>>345425106
How are the achievements even slightly close to being like the masks?
>>
>>345425106
at least they gave grenades to all players last update
>>
>>345425275
do stupid shit, get stupid masks
>>
>>345424929
Monaco sort of, it is not at all realistic though
>>
>>345425260
No.
Also, I wouldn't recommend PAYDAY2 because it's stealth mechanics aren't really par to a game like thief.
PAYDAY 2 stealth system goes like this
>rush with jammers
OR
>jump around very quickly past security guards
>guards cannot hear you only see you
>one person throws nade and it's all over
>some much DLC
>>
>>345425260
>play SA on PC
>running at 60 fps (or maybe more, I think I had issues getting vsync to work with SA initially) with some issues but not too many
>get to the introductory burglary mission
>go into house and try and pick up something to steal
>physics freak the fuck out and the box I was trying to steal bounces around the room a few times before hitting CJ and killing him outright
Fucking Rockstar
>>
>>345425260
my grandma's house was attacked when she was out for shopping last summer.

Happened in the middle of day too; fucks apparently parked their van with covered license plates in front of the house, literally hammered the lock in, and then one guys sat on the bench in the porch like he'd own the place, while his pal took all jewelry without markings and the little cash they could find.

Neighbors didn't suspect a thing, as they were acting so calm and natural.
>>
>>345425524
I enjoy PD2 stealth, solo or with friends, but with pubs its suffering
>>
File: 1463711668562.png (245 KB, 473x474) Image search: [Google]
1463711668562.png
245 KB, 473x474
>>345425260
>have a bunch of guns in my house
>go on a trip out of the country
>no safe
>tfw that constant worry of someone breaking in and stealing all my shit
>come home and rush to my room
>all my guns are there
>>
File: 1468825516895.jpg (29 KB, 552x310) Image search: [Google]
1468825516895.jpg
29 KB, 552x310
>>345424929
To the guys butt-blasting Payday 2, yes it has lots and lots of DLC, but the games had well over 100 updates now gotta pay for them somehow.
Also most of the DLC is optional (with the exceptions of the sniper and gage assault packs but they are included in the year 1 complete edition of the game) as you can join anyone's game who owns the dlc, me and my mates take turns buying the map packs so one person isnt stuck with buying shit every week.

Also while yes some of the maps can be zerg rushed with ECM's, try doing that with a bunch of new players, or randoms without mics? Wanna bet you fail the rush 4/5 times?

All in all no game is perfect, but get a few friends on this and there is fun to be found, and thats before you have found any of the thousands of quality of life mods or reskins and such.
>>
>>345425830
It's so weird that people could have weapons just lying around the house that can easily kill someone.

It's like having a bomb in your nice lil' safe home.
>>
>>345425524
Payday seems too combaty for my tastes, or at least what I'm looking for.

Really want something like this
>different residential areas you can scope out
>use context clues like lighting inside homes, trash bins outside in unusual days and no cars parked that indicate that someone may or may not be inside the house
>security around neighborhoods can increase as you break into homes more and more
>>
There's a demo on steam for Klepto.
It's early acces.
It's one of the shittiest games I have tried.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>345426310
Mods for Payday 2 might help you here, the guys at lastbullet has some total conversion mods where people are starting to buy their own maps for the game, and with other ai improving mods who knows whats gonna get made in the next few months, no idea but since the game is on sale every 2 minutes generally for 60%+ off whats the harm in giving it a go
>>
>>345426310
Sounds like you want something like a modern thief game with an open world or hub based area, much like Human Revolution's hub areas, with the system from MGSV where, for example, if you used too many tranq headshots, then the guards will respond with wearing more helmets.

Maybe if your primary method of breaking in is using windows then the neighborhood watch will reinforce windows with iron bars or some shit like that.
>>
>>345426310
>>345426860
Klepto has that idea but it's just executed horribly.
>>
>>345425260
Gypsy kid tried to steal my dog, it bit him. He took out a knife

I threw a rock at him

Seemed to knock him out

Called an ambulance

I sort of hope he didn't die
>>
>Thief came out twenty years ago
>Nobody has been able to make a better thievery game since.
Open environments, multiple entry points, patrolling guards, higher difficulty means more objectives, security cameras and louder footsteps on certain surfaces, gadgets to put out lights survey the area and scale walls, enemies which can kill you easily but you can take out one or two if you get the drop on them, loot hidden from view, safes with the code written elsewhere, keys kept on guards or in their quarters and your loot determines your score which determines how much you have to spend on gadgets for the next level.

Why can no other developer surpass or at least emulate this?
>>
>>345427254
Doesn't mix with modern game design and smaller devs don't really have the game making skill to do it. Not to mention stealth isn't that popular to begin with. Even Dishonored, which has gotten the closest (though it's not about being a thief), still suffers from a lot of modern game design things like small maps because consoles. There's also things that aren't really related to modern game design that games still don't have for some reason like the noise you make determined by the type of floor you're walking on, having an actual map of the level, and other things.

Most games today are either open world or a continuous story rather than several separate missions like Thief too. Looking Glass said they decided to make loot you don't buy stuff with on the next level disappear to discourage (or rather make it impossible) for people to just horde money the entire game thinking that they may need it later. Separate mission based games just aren't popular anymore which is sad because in some types of games they can be done really well.
>>
File: gfs_45133_2_5.jpg (123 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gfs_45133_2_5.jpg
123 KB, 800x600
>>345427596
>small maps because consoles.

In theory, could downgraded graphics give extra space for things like bigger maps and memory of placement of objects? I would not mind a game like that with max payne 2's low poly graphics
>>
>>345425957
The dlc unlocker fixes the dlc issues.
>>
>>345427927
Thief 1 and 2 already didn't look very good for when they came out and that was so they could have their massive maps. You can't really get away with making games like that today though. Especially since the AA game scene is basically dead.

I do like games pushing graphics but it's not needed for all games and is actually detrimental in some cases. A Thief-like game with maybe similar to high end PS2 graphics (with modern resolution support of course) in order to make massive detailed and interactive maps would be the best case scenario I think. It also depends on the budget because you would have to accept that an in depth game with graphics that aren't competing with other games isn't going to sell very well.
>>
>>345427927
But this even relates to the post earlier about how reviewers and critics judge games far more on their aesthetic aspects than their mechanicl ones. A game that looks like that could have trouble doing well in a market obsessed with graphics and increasing graphical "power", just look at the new legend of zelda to get all the cool physics and open world bits they basically had to make the game look like blurry shit.
>>
>>345425260
yeah when i was a little kid, they didn't take any of my shit cos it wasn't worth anything. It was just some shithead kids who lived in my neighborhood. Didn't take long to catch them.
>>
File: wheres taffdo.webm (840 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
wheres taffdo.webm
840 KB, 800x600
>>345427254
Tell me where you think the loot is hidden in this webm.
>>
>>345428414
What is this webm even supposed to be? You're not taking anything out of the chest because it's not opening.
>>
>>345428486
Where do you think the loot is? Under the bed? In the chest? Behind the tapestry?
>>
>>345428512
I'm not even him but I guess you're saying it's in the chest. Though it isn't always because sometimes you'll open a chest and get some arrows or just a useless object you have to drop. There are quite a few places in both games where stuff is pretty well hidden. Especially if you're on the hardest difficulty and just missing like 20 gold worth of loot.
>>
>>345428237
>A game that looks like that could have trouble doing well in a market obsessed with graphics and increasing graphical "power"

I'm genuinely sad that this is a reality that we live in. Give me a game that plays incredibly well with gameplay that isn't explicitly explained and requires experimentation to get a hang of. Give me that and something that looks like it was released in 2004 and I won't give a shit.
>>
>>345428627
Not to sound like a fedora but its just the nature of marketing to people who aren't really interested in the details of the product. The same shit happens with really anything that has an aesthetic layer covering one of mechanical complexity, just look at fucking cars or sports some of the most normie hobbies there are.
>>
>>345428627
Well even Dishonored like I used as an example, it didn't even look good for a 360/PS3 game. But it still had those loading screens during missions and the maps were smaller than in Thief 1 or 2. It did play pretty well and has better movement than the majority of games released last gen though.
>>
File: its a ring.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
its a ring.jpg
194 KB, 1920x1080
>>345428414
>>345428625
>>
So I'm a huge stealth guy but I've never really played Thief aside from Dark Mod. I'm extremely autistic when it comes to ghosting and even something like putting out lights is considered failure to me.

I have all 3 on GOG and I'm gonna download them.

Should I play Theif Gold? I heard 2 is much better if you want pure thievery. I don't care about monsters and shit.
>>
>>345428871
Shitter reporting in

Play Thief Gold and skip all monster missions if you just want pure stealth vs guards. Then play Thief 2.
>>
>>345424929
Yes. They $tole a Million for the C64

>In They $tole a Million you are The Boss, a would-be criminal mastermind out to seek his fortune the dishonest way. To do this you will have to hire a team of criminals, with skills ranging from explosives to driving - these will each seek an upfront payment and a percentage cut of the eventual profits. You will have to buy information and plans on potential targets - an art gallery and bank for example. Menu options reveal pop-up windows of information and sub-menus.

>Planning the raid itself is your next task. An overhead view of the site is prevented, with your information on doors and storage locations all readily available. You move each member around the map to give them orders, using a displayed clock to ensure that the action timings overlap correctly. Many options bring up sub-menus of icons.

>During the actual crime, you wait outside, with a walkie-talkie to issue orders. Keep an eye out for police cars, as their presence may for you to freeze, or run off with what you have so far. You can enter the site to help out, but this leaves you defenceless if the police arrive.
>>
>>345429921
Also available for you ZX Spectrum or Amstrad CPC, whichever one you have.
>>
>>345429921
>Black guy hand
Man the world kind of has culturally gone to shit hasn't it. You could not do that in this day and age without too much bullshit too handle.
>>
>>345428871
Play Thief Gold anyways, it's a great game. The monsters add some nice variety, in my opinion, and do force you to stealth a bit harder as a good many aren't blackjackable.
>>
File: ohu.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
ohu.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>345430571
>>
>>345430650
I know it sounds like baiting but its a genuine thought I had and its not like /v/ isn't responsible for it too with all the whining about mafia 3 and bf1.
>>
>>345430708
It's clearly a glove, but I know what you mean.
>>
>>345430740
I just saw the stitches now.
>>
File: tumblr_m4z7tlmMXY1qmcfpyo1_540.png (459 KB, 540x745) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4z7tlmMXY1qmcfpyo1_540.png
459 KB, 540x745
I just want a new low poly thief-style game set in a bloodborne yharnam-like city. That would be so cool to me.

Really all I can think of for you OP is a Deus Ex game, and that still doesn't fulfill the whole DICK ASS THIEF fantasy cause at the end of the day you are still playing a rich fuck with million dollar cybernetics.
>>
File: 1461404111688.jpg (224 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
1461404111688.jpg
224 KB, 500x397
>>345424929
Space Station 13, but that's usually my answer for any of these question threads.

I used to do a lot of B&E's as a bored assistant, to the point I developed a ingame kleptomania. It didn't matter what it was, but if someone needed it, then I wanted it, and if I wanted it, then it would turn up missing, eventually.
>>
>>345432147
There's nothing like getting a good partner and raising hell.
>one greyshirt tosses banana peels outside security and cracks the glass while the other welds into the armory
>have one guy keep lookout over the radio inside a trash can
>>
>>345427254
Most of that is in MGSV. You even steal people.
>>
>>345424929
Most of your time in Invisible Inc. is spent robbing corporations and executing prison breaks.

You're not a burglar though, you're part of an intelligence agency.
>>
>>345432147
>Space Station 13, but that's usually my answer for any of these question threads.

Are you literally me. I'm burnt out of that game unfortunately
>>
>>345424929
>Don't mind me, just here to pirate your stuff :^)
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.