[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
getting gud at FPS or other video games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
File: 1399340598791.jpg (4 MB, 1460x2000) Image search: [Google]
1399340598791.jpg
4 MB, 1460x2000
What are some techniques, or tips you guys want to share to get gud at video games?

I recently came up with exercises to do on console controllers and on PC (keyboard and mouse).
For controllers, I'll try to hit each button as quickly as possible. With the joysticks I go to each side (left and right) as quickly as possible. I also do it for up and down. I'll do about 5-20 reps. I do it during loading screens. Then I'll alternate the sticks. (left joystick going left, right joystick going up.) I'll also exercise movement going on opposite sides (left joystick going left for example, and right stick going right [opposites])

For PC I hit the keyboard buttons as quickly as I can. For the mouse, this is to improve my aiming, I move the cursor up and down, left and right, vice versa, corner to corner. I try to do it as quickly as possible. There are other techniques I've picked up in my training.

I'm not the best in video games. I was pretty good in my younger years, but I went on a hiatus and my skills deteriorated. I recently developed these exercises to get gud at vidya. So if you have any techniques to share please do.
>>
Practice and learn from your mistakes.
>>
>>345418118
>For PC I hit the keyboard buttons as quickly as I can. For the mouse, this is to improve my aiming, I move the cursor up and down, left and right, vice versa, corner to corner. I try to do it as quickly as possible. There are other techniques I've picked up in my training.

p.s.

These techniques, especially on keyboard and mouse I've noticed, can cause sore muscles. So be sure to stretch your wrists and fingers so they won't get sure and you don't end up with carpal tunnel.
>>
File: 1403145148969.gif (504 KB, 398x398) Image search: [Google]
1403145148969.gif
504 KB, 398x398
>>345418468
>so they won't get sure
so they won't get sore*
>>
>>345418118
Nice artwork. DS was the last good tps imo.
>>
>>345418901
GTAV
>>
>>345418118
Play Quake 3's singleplayer and see how high you can advance. Or make a custom match and play instagib with bots. Helps get your aim together for a beginner.
>>
>>345418118
use the ideal input for the respective game or game genre

mouse and keyboard for (competitive) FPS and RTS, mobas, etc.

controller works best for racers, third-person platformers/ shooters, and even single player FPS if you just wanna relax on the couch

>These techniques, especially on keyboard and mouse I've noticed, can cause sore muscles.

games are entertainment. You make it seem like work
>>
Practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
>>345419159
>games are entertainment. You make it seem like work
gotta get gud my dude
i even practice while i'm surfing the internet
>>
>>345418118
watch cs tutorial videos
>>
>>345419159
>Not getting sore while grinding your inputs

That's how you know you are getting stronger. Just don't overdo it and you will be fine.
>>
File: 1400803028481.jpg (41 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
1400803028481.jpg
41 KB, 500x425
>>345419331
how is that going to make me better though? i'll watch and practice my mouse+keyboard movement
>>
File: 1458236254101.gif (2 MB, 340x191) Image search: [Google]
1458236254101.gif
2 MB, 340x191
There's some other techniques I want to share with yall but I want to see some more tips and tricks.

I'll give you a hint: it's with the mouse and keyboard.
>>
File: breeding in pokemon.gif (1 MB, 393x206) Image search: [Google]
breeding in pokemon.gif
1 MB, 393x206
>>345419587
>I'll give you a hint: it's with the mouse and keyboard
well, just the mouse actually
>>
>>345418118
Just keep playing the game and learn the Ins and outs.
>>
>>345419909
alright,

try drawing letters with your mouse (i dont mean literally going to your drawing app to draw them)
draw big letters, small letters, medium letters
draw objects
i do it with an aim to will improve mouse movement
>>
Don't think about the end results, focus on the current situation. In a fighting game, don't think about "I have to win." Think about the next punch, blocking the next attack, etc. In an FPS, don't think about winning the match. Think about your current position, where is the enemy, focus and relax and aim and fire properly. Don't get caught up in the excitement and lose concentration, or give in to a tense moment. Most importantly, don't get discouraged if you lose. Always be respectful to your opponent as well.
>>
>>345418118
Watch Warowl.
CSGO you tuber that has an"improvement your aim" video
Excersies you seem to do really don't help imo
Honestly CSGO is probably the best game to really train your aim in. Also make sure you are at a sensitivity you are most comfortable at.
>>
follow the cursor with your eyes while moving it in whatever direction you wish
do it slow
do it at medium speed
do it fast
>>
File: Hitman - Bloodmoney.gif (3 MB, 249x141) Image search: [Google]
Hitman - Bloodmoney.gif
3 MB, 249x141
>>345420492
which video are you referring to? i'd like to see it
>>
Tips for roguelikes

>It helps that you play these when you are fresh of mind. If you really want to play them while fatigued, roll a new character.

>Learn the difference in speed against certain monsters and use it to your advantage. If you can move 2 every time a monster moves 1 you can safely melee him one time and backstep another.

>Assess your risks. Don't wait until you are at 10% to start to think of running away. Do you think you're going to die? Don't engage. Did your health dropped bellow 50%? Run away. Are you certain to win but you will use consumables? Don't engage.

>Corridors are your friends. They allow you to fight one enemy at the time. If things start to go sour, you can always incapacitate the leading enemy and then running away to buy you some time to heal. Zig zag corridors are even better to ensuring you only have 1 enemy in line of sight to avoid spells.

>The amount of deaths you will get with an inventory full of consumables is a really embarrassing one. Get a habit of reviewing your consumables/spells/skills. You may forget about them when you are stressed in a tight situation.

>Don't be a scrub. If you are grabbing your first win, don't shy away from the more powerful race/class combinations.
>>
>>345420492
>Excersies you seem to do really don't help imo
I haven't dropped the big one yet.
>>
>>345420749
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=og73XpXhxtk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLeugSfvOlw
I got to global because of his guides.
Generally better at all FPS games too. Practice practice practice. Watch some CSGO pro stuff too

>>345421225
What?
>>
File: Nintendo DS.gif (83 KB, 409x254) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo DS.gif
83 KB, 409x254
>>345422681
>What?
Practicing mouse clicking.
This will get your hand muscles sore for sure.
Stretch fingers and wrist when they feel sore.

From the edge of the screen, doesn't matter what edge you start from, move the mouse cursor imaging a circle or a box in the center of the screen. Now move the mouse cursor from left (doesn't matter which side you start from) to the center of the object and click (simulating FPS shooting) then move to the right of the screen and back to the center and click. Start with a relatively medium circle or object and do it slowly, at medium speed, and fast. There are different ways to do this too. You don't have to start from the edge of the screen. You can start from a quarter's length of the screen. You can do it from the corners. Try making a star and at each star point you click your your mouse button.

Do it with a large object (which should be easy), a medium sized object, and a small object.

This is going to get those muscles really sore. So stretch.
>>
File: 1401769931012.jpg (40 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1401769931012.jpg
40 KB, 600x375
>>345423251
>Now move the mouse cursor from left (doesn't matter which side you start from) to the center of the object and click (simulating FPS shooting) then move to the right of the screen and back to the center and click. Start with a relatively medium circle or object and do it slowly, at medium speed, and fast. There are different ways to do this too.
It will be best to have a real object on screen to click on (like a picture) because with just using the imagination the borders may disappear in your mind.

Try also practicing your movement on the keyboard and clicking practice simultaneously
>>
File: 1464146469289.jpg (44 KB, 700x439) Image search: [Google]
1464146469289.jpg
44 KB, 700x439
>>345423251
>>345423480
Try practicing single clicking, multi-clicking, and holding down the button (for those hold-down-to-click automatic fire weapons)
>>
>>345423251
Oh. Didn't know what you meant. Thanks for clearing it up.

Aditonal tip is that you don't really need to improve your click speed. Most FPS have guns that have a recoil so you will just have to time it right for when you will shoot.
Also try to increase reaction time too
>>
Your sensitivity is probably too high.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.