[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't games add dynamic animations? Like in open world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 5b_1.1.2-1000x562.jpg (101 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
5b_1.1.2-1000x562.jpg
101 KB, 1000x562
Why don't games add dynamic animations? Like in open world games, when you get chased by, let's say, a guard, the guard has a preset running animation with no variation in speed making escape uneventful. Although some games add on top of that with extra abilities, it always still feels clunky and resistance tends to be minimal. Name games that allow for dynamic, unique moments that never get stale because the developer offers a rich assortment of animation variety and ai abilities that go beyond the simple.
>>
>>345395339
>pic unrelated
>>
>>345395620
It sure looks clunky, so ya
>>
I have to admit, the first time I got chased by guards in Ass Creed and saw them leaping and vaulting after me got my heart racing.
>>
>>345395339
When you say animations do you really mean behaviour?

Are you asking why it's not impossible to run from a guard? Or why seemingly commonplace occurences don't spawn unique quests that are procedurally generated?

If the guard was too hard to get away from it would not be fun. You would spend all of you time trying to do stupid bullshit instead of actually progressing with the game. If they kept following you and hunting you down or catching on to your patterns that would lead to the game unexpectedly and drastically increasing in difficulty without any way to reset. Imagine if you pissed off a guard and he chased you without you realizing it, but then 6 hours later during a stealth mission he's running up behind you. That mission would be completely impossible and you would have to restart from the beginning of the game.

If you could find a way to make truly emergent gameplay from small stuff you will make $1B dollars. Program a game to create engaging content for you and that will be great. Otherwise you will have to settle for the fact that any outstanding event is scripted and needs to be meticulously programmed.
>>
>>345396028
I'm asking for a game world that flows correctly, as is with real life, although I realize technically limitations, which game has resembled that idea the best.
>>
>>345396359
And that doesn't mean to take the fun away, because of course artistic liberty should be taken into account.
>>
>>345395339
>Name games that allow for dynamic, unique moments that never get stale because the developer offers a rich assortment of animation variety and ai abilities that go beyond the simple.
Pretty much the STALKER series, the AI by itself is kinda retarded, but it creates a lot of interesting events when the different AI actors/factions interact between themselves
>>
Because work like that takes time and sometimes market deadlines prohibit it.
>>
>>345398458
>sometimes
more like always
>>
>>345398596

Well no, sometimes deadlines don't prohibit it. There are games with ragdoll physics or other dynamic character motion.
>>
Remember that you're dealing with AI and you're asking it to make complex path finding decisions, with variable animations, and respond to various stimuli in deciding whether or not to search or follow or etc.

It's a miracle if an AI can stalk around the room and take a corner naturally right now, some of the intense hideouts in Alien Isolation had plenty of light speed 90 degree turns. I get your point, but having simpler individual NPC actions and more varied group wide scenarios (thing stalker. Two running animations, shit aiming AI sometimes, still had organic events)

You gotta think realistic
>>
>>345398797
But what type of breakthroughs have we had in complex path finding decisions? I'd like to know.
>>
>>345398767
Dynamic animations have been a thing for sometime, but a system as big as OP mentioned sounds exactly like the things that regularly get cut out (or at very least, gimped) from games
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.