[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> 12 years since hl2 came out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (67 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg
67 KB, 300x428
> 12 years since hl2 came out
>>
And your penis has still never been inside a vagina.
>>
>>345387238
/thread
>>
File: 1322615842122[1].jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1322615842122[1].jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>hl3 will never come out
>it's possible that valve has never significantly worked on another half life title since ep 2
>>
>>345386902
>>345387238
>>345387429
Here's your (you)s
>>
>>345386902
>>345387238
>>345387429
samefag
>>
Is there anyone who is actually looking forward to a HL3 anymore? Pretty sure even they have given up at this point.
>>
File: 5467896734.jpg (49 KB, 510x383) Image search: [Google]
5467896734.jpg
49 KB, 510x383
>my first jerkoff ever was to alyx
>>
File: Cat Tail.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cat Tail.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>345387942
No. Hype culture is cancer and I refuse to participate. If it happens, it happens.
>>
>>345387532
>>345387640
samefag
>>
>>345387517
>Arkane studios was working on an episode set in Ravenholm that was pretty far along when it got cancelled
>Warren Spector was beginning work on an episode that got cancelled
>Whole levels in HL2 were completed and scrapped after the leak

Between both games there's a fuckton of Half Life shit that we're never going to get to play.
>>
yo why do people say that HL2 is a tech demo? It's literally just like the first game and more.
>>
>>345388154
The arbitrary physics puzzle were definitely only there to show off the new physics, but I think most of the HL2 hate just comes from HL1 nostalgia somehow. I don't really understand how you could love one and think the other is shit otherwise, they're both fantastic games.
>>
>>345387942
I was, but HL2 came out in an era where technological leaps were still being made. It was groundbreaking when ground could still be broken.

Due to technical and staff and production limitations now, we're about as good as we're gonna get with a few minor improvements, usually around lighting and shaders. That's about it.

HL3 can't break new ground that the explosive set-pieces of CoD and Battlefield and Uncharted haven't already broken.

HL3 could have been the killer-app of the Vive, combining those realistic and high-octane set pieces with immersive VR but... nothing.

Valve has the money and resources and time to make something really great, but it still won't be something we've never seen.
>>
>>345388154
It displayed the new physXXX of source engine
>>
>>345387238
first post best post
>>
>>345387238
it was
>>
PICK UP THAT CAN.
>>
>>345388419
I wasn't stopped every 5 minutes in Half Life 1 to get an "interactive cutscene" where a character sucks Freeman's dick for 10 minutes before you can resume gameplay.
>>
>>345388154
>It's literally just like the first game

You must not have played the first game. HL1 didn't have extremely linear maps, shitty weapons, maps where literally all you do is drive for miles on end with nothing stopping you, and physics puzzles.
>>
>>345388703
Shit dawg, that hyberbole convinced me.
>>
>>345388837
It was hyperbole sure, but I think you understand what my complaint is.
>>
>>345388758
Wow. I think you need to revisit the game if you're not joking.
>>
>>345388758
I just finished playing the xbox version last week.
>>
>>345387238
Savage.
>>
>>345389175
meant for
>>345389051
>>
>>345388758
dude I was playing the first game again the other day and you just described it (apart from the driving bits)
>>
>>345388992
this. it stopped you constantly and then just about every physics section was boring as piss. i remember that awful water section where you needed to move cans under the ramp to bring it up and leave the shitty section with a ramp jump. i mean sure at first the section was fun, i loved that first area when you first entered the place with crates underwater and cool shit and overall theres more good than bad but they arent really the same type of game other than thematically kind of
>>
>>345387942
>Is there anyone who is actually looking forward to a HL3 anymore?
yeah me, half life is my favroite superhero.
>>
>>345389302
give me one example of linear maps, shit weapons, and physics puzzles.
>>
I wonder what people's reactions to a HL2 mod that's just HL2 without physics "puzzles" would be like.

I kind of imagine it would be overwhelmingly negative.
>>
File: Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza.jpg (1006 KB, 2808x3744) Image search: [Google]
Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza.jpg
1006 KB, 2808x3744
>>345389293
I don't recall HL1 being a branching experience. Complaining about linearity with that in mind rings hollow. Yes, it's a tight experience with the slight illusion of openness. That's ok.

>shitty weapons
What's the matter? Pistol, SMG, Shotgun, Revolver...it's all there. What, you wanted the drone bug gun to make a return?

>Drive for miles on end with nothing stopping you
I enjoyed those stretches. Constant action less meaningful with down time and I chose to engage those moments pensively instead of wishing I were playing Ninja Gaiden or Gears of War. Also, there were supply cashes to plunder, some with avoidable engagements lying withing.

>physics puzzles
Minor bump when played beyond the games period of newness. You should be able to beat them in no time anyway.
>>
>>345389969
it would because it makes people feel smart. i really like puzzles in games i just dont think they were handled properly in 2. most were very tedious but not very "puzzling", they were all too obvious up to the very end. i know its probably hard to create good first person puzzles but if you cant why fucking try?
>>
>>345390378
You can't claim HL2 had shitty weapons with the gravity gun in there. There was absolutely nothing quite like it in any games before, ever.
The level of mayhem it brought to the deathmatch was unprecedented. I hate the hipster contrarian crowd who thinks they're being clever by shitting on anything that garnered enough praise or sold more than 100 copies.
>>
>>345387517
they were working on episode 3 until they decided to make left4dead2 in the space of a year
>>
>mfw portal was a narbacular drop ripoff and only got popular due to brand recognition and lol so randumb le cake is a lie XD
>>
>>345390808
I didn't say it had shitty weapons. Reread the post i was respond to and my own post again.
>>
File: 1456025408080.gif (2 MB, 196x300) Image search: [Google]
1456025408080.gif
2 MB, 196x300
>>345391091
>mfw this is 1/10 bait at best
>>
>>345390378
>What's the matter? Pistol, SMG, Shotgun, Revolver...it's all there. What, you wanted the drone bug gun to make a return?
Yeah. I wanted the cool sci-fi weapons like the gulon gun and the snarks. Isn't Freeman supposed to be a one man army?

>I enjoyed those stretches.
I bet you enjoy Wind Waker too then. They're completely optional. You can drive right by them with no objections.

>Minor bump
Yeah, I can beat them quickly but they bring the flow of an already slow game to a halt.

>>345390808
Yeah, it was a fun weapon in deathmatch but that's it. I don't know about you but the only time I ever bothered using the thing was when there where mines around and at the end when I could destroy Combine left and right with it.
>>
>>345391729
>I wanted the cool sci-fi weapons like the gulon gun and the snarks.
He's not in a cutting edge research facility anymore and the gravity gun is versatile enough to satisfy any sci-fi expectations alone in my opinion. The gravity gun was also better than the snarks and gulon gun.

>one man army
He still is. He is the single most capable person in the entire world.

>they're entirely optional
Yeah, so?

>WW
Loved it

>slow game
Learn to backwards b-hop or no clip through the puzzles if they're such a problem. You're armed with the tools to reach the experience you'd prefer.
>>
>>345392462
>dont like it just cheat!
or you know, play better games and continue to express your concerns until valve inevitably hears the complaints and changes it from the upcoming game
>>
>>345392462
Look at the HL2 beta. It looks fucking awesome and Gordon would have had tons of awesome sci-fi weapons and normal guns. Why would you say no to more weapons?

>Yeah, so?
They don't really serve a purpose other than "Oh you looked around? Here, have a grenade."

>Loved it
I know you did.

>Learn to b-hop
I don't want to have to cheat/glitch to enjoy the game.
>>
>>345392993
>play better games
There aren't any.
>>
>>345386902
HL3 will be announced when HL1 turns 20 years.
>>
>>345393039
>HL2 Beta

Wasn't a peecee gamer at the time, so I'm entirely unaware of the beta's features.

>purpose

They're set in such a way that they'll often vignette regarding the struggles of the resistance. They're more than just grenades, they further ground the environment in the overarching plot. I never understand people who complain about skipping optional content as if it's a failing of the game.

>I don't want to have to cheat/glitch to enjoy the game.

I won't convince you to like the game, but I think you know why others might enjoy it and feel about the portions you dislike. Just know you're armed with the capacity to disengage from disliked portions.
>>
File: cremator.jpg (104 KB, 374x703) Image search: [Google]
cremator.jpg
104 KB, 374x703
>>345393908
> I'm entirely unaware of the beta's features
Look it up, senpai. It's some interesting shit. Pic related.

>They're set in such a way that they'll often vignette regarding the struggles of the resistance
I don't care much story and most fps games (at the time) didn't either. I don't know why Valve changed that.
>>
>>345394961
You're a product of a different era. Hope Nu-Doom and Nu-Quake are to your liking. Support them while you can if you've got a message you want to send to developers.
>>
File: Alien_assassin_-_idle.jpg (138 KB, 482x653) Image search: [Google]
Alien_assassin_-_idle.jpg
138 KB, 482x653
>>345395336
Jeez anon. I'm only 19.

>Nu-Doom
It's alright. Still a far cry from the original.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.