[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shin Megami Tensei Play Order?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg (21 KB, 256x230) Image search: [Google]
SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg
21 KB, 256x230
how do I get started playing this series /v/?

Not a jrpg fan and have heard good things on the shin megami tensei series. How/Where do I get started with the series as a whole? Play Ordoer?

A bit overwhelmed since there are so many goddamn games in this series.

Pic very related
>>
Try the Persona 3 or 4 first, they're by far the easiest. They're basically dating sims with turn based combat. Nocturne and SJ are much better games IMO but can be harder and a little weirder if they're your first. DDS as well.
>>
>>345385139
So does this play like classic doom? What is this, doom for japs? Is this a gook doom?
>>
>Nocturne
>Persona 3
>Persona 4
>Digital Devil Saga
And never look back
>>
I started with SMT SJ, and planing to play smt4 next. Never played any smt before and really enjoying it. What can I play after those?
>>
>>345386579
really now? what about persona 1/2? or the shin megami tensei games like devil summoner?

I'm just downloading all the roms/isos for everything in the series for now.

So far Persona 3/4, Nocturne, SJ, and DDS are the ones recommended here.
>>
Here's what you do, and listen very closely because this is a bit technical: you pick out one that looks interesting, here comes the hard part, and then you play it.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>345385753
He was talking about mainline SMT, not Persona.
>>
>>345387578
either is fine
>>
>>345387067
This. For how much SMT fans shit in FF and DQ, those games tend to get recommendations for mist of the series, not just half or a third.
>>
>>345385139
jrpg is not a genre
>>
>>345385139
Here's how I did it
Persona 3
Persona 4
Nocturne/dds
Strange journey
From then go in any order
Also play dds1 before 2 and smt 1 before 2 , rest is stand alone
>>
My first SMT games were Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.
>>
If you're looking at the whole franchise, I'd recommend Persona 3/4. It's pretty easy to get through. If you're looking for just mainline, start with IV. IV is a lot more laid back and will teach you a lot of the core concepts of the series fairly easily.

When it comes to order, this anon >>345387279 kinda has the right idea. In terms of plot, they're kinda all over the place so just pick whatever looks interesting after that.
>>
>>345386257
Think more like Wizardry mixed with pokemon except all the pokemon are demons. Combat is turnbased, so it's not like doom in that regard. Story is a bit doomish. A gateway to another hellish dimension appears in antartica, and expands until it swallows the whole earth. A team of marines are sent to investigate it.
>>
Play in release order.

Start with Shin Megami Tensei, then Shin Megami Tensei 2, then Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, Soul Hackers, then Persona 1, Persona 2, Persona 3, Nocturne, Devil Summoner Raidou, Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2, Persona 4, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Devil Survivor 2, Shin Megami Tensei IV.
>>
How bad is soul hacker's macca drain? My autism can't handle it
>>
File: Shin Megami Tensei Guide.png (3 MB, 1600x4491) Image search: [Google]
Shin Megami Tensei Guide.png
3 MB, 1600x4491
>>345385139
>>
>>345388225
This is not about recommending the good ones, it's about recommending the ones that make for a good starting point.
>>
>>345390728
so essentially Nocturne, DDS, Persona 3/4, SMT4, SJ, and DS1/2. Maybe even soul hacker
>>
>>345388225
never played FF or DQ either but SMT/Persona appeal to me more which is why I made the thread
>>
>>345385139
From the very beginning. Only then can you truly appreciate how far the series has come.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.