[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Tomb Raider game: emphasis on exploration, platforming,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 17
File: Tomb-Raider.jpg (58 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Tomb-Raider.jpg
58 KB, 630x420
First Tomb Raider game: emphasis on exploration, platforming, and puzzle-solving. Combat is a small aspect of gameplay and most enemies are not human. Platforming is precise and requires complete mastery of the controls.

Latest Tomb Raider games: Emphasis on shooting and combat, Lara Croft murders hundreds upon hundreds of human targets, fully linear maps, platforming is mostly automated, puzzle-solving is optional.

What happened?
>>
File: Lejapjews.png (2 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Lejapjews.png
2 KB, 300x168
>>
>>345368258
more like Crystal Dynamics.
>>
>>345367807
The new TR games made me appreciate the classics. I was excited for TR2013 because it was going to revitalize the franchise, but it went in a direction i didn't like.
>>
>>345367807
Casuals happened

I just so happened to watch my friend play new Tomb Raider yesterday and it was most likely his first

>Laura has a power to make world turn grey, pickup items glow and there's an arrow that points you where to go
>"aren't you gonna grab that stuff?"
>"huh? nah who cares"
>sits at a fire, "wow why didn't i get new skills?"
>starts going the way he came
>mashes the gray world button that brings up the arrow, goes opposite way
>"where am I supposed to go?"
>map only has two ways to go, forward and back, there's a huge arrow and he still gets lost
>I point him the right direction
>he follows the arrow to a small room and arrow points at a locked door, clearly you're supposed to take a small right turn and go up there to smash something above into the door
>he spends five minutes jumping at the door and meleeing it
>"this is so gay"
>"bro just look around the room a bit"
>pans the camera to look behind character for a sec
>"there's nothing here"

It was hard to watch.
>>
>>345368894
My bad
>>
The focus on combat shit started with 2, where nearly every room would have thugs with hitscan guns, even in locations where it makes absolutely no sense. That's why 1 is still the best TR.
>>
shooting sells
>>
>>345369621
TR1 and TR2 compliment each other. TR1 has more exploration, TR2 has more action. They're both fantastic games.
>>
Its a female uncharted. Literally no different. They just attached it to a franchise that pre-existed to maximize sales. The 2nd game had a bit more exploration but if they made the new games 1/10th as hard as the ps1 games were, the little /v/tards would complain. If reviewers can't even play Doom, imagine some inept cumdump trying to play a classic Tomb Raider with modern graphics. Would get 3/10's all day. People want spoonfed cinema experiences these days. Thats all good and everything its just unfortunate that they need to change established franchises into that nonsense instead of just making a new IP. Anything for a sale.
Tldr: Ceo's and casuals fuck up everything
>>
>>345367807
They made her into a dirty feminist icon instead of a rich indiana jones british lady. Thats where they screwed up. The need to borrow from the Uncharted series is totally unecessary since TR basically invented 3d action exploration / puzzle game. I really liked TR Legend, and that was the last one for me. Other than that I've played TR1 and TR2, and I hate TR2s combat.
>>
>>345369621
This. Although 2 is still better, if only for its locations and music. Variety is what modern games lack. What game from the last 5 years actually feels like you're in a different place? The TR franchise was so good at that.
>Great Wall
>Venice Canals
>Floating Islands
>Offshore Rig
Just incredible really.
>>
>>345369351
Thats like watching my gf play Zelda games.
>"I dont know where to go"
"Open your map and look for rooms you havent been in yet"
>"How do I get in there?"
"What new item did you just get in this dungeon? Maybe you should figure out where to use it."
*takes her phone out and looks it up*
"How is it at all satisfying if you look it up?"
"I hate playing when you watch me."

Just fuck off then.
>>
>>345369621
>That's why 1 is still the best TR.

I agree completely. I still have my Sega Saturn copy of the game and replay it every once in a while. I used to have a PSX copy too but it disappeared somehow, probably got lost when I moved.
>>
>>345367807
Maybe the young players grew up and got a dick instead a brain?
>>
File: 1465217252037.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1465217252037.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>345369351
>Friend needs help figuring out where to go in a game.
>Tell him to go right.
>He does that thing very young kids do to tell directions where you stick your thumbs and index fingers out on both hands and whichever makes an L is left.
>He's 26
>>
File: Monk_10.jpg (11 KB, 280x240) Image search: [Google]
Monk_10.jpg
11 KB, 280x240
Don't mind me, just getting in the way of your gunfire.
>>
>>345369783

I don't think 2 is a bad game, but I think the focus on action hurts it since the action/combat was the weakest part of TR for me.
Plus 1 kinda gets nuts as you get closer to the end, starting when you go to Egypt and start shooting screeching, strange mummies that explode when you kill them. And they turn out to be demons from a giant pyramid made out of flesh and lava, where you fight some Eldrich horror.
Fighting statue men on floating rocks made from mystery green shit and Chinese architecture is nuts, but not as nuts to me.
>>
File: bestLC.jpg (11 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
bestLC.jpg
11 KB, 184x274
Who is the best Lara Croft?

And why is it Angelina Jolie?
>>
>>345370448
Some people (especially gurrrl gamers) are horrible with abstract direction.

I tested this on my gf once when she was in the middle of Twilight Princess.

>room with multiple doors
>she knows exactly where to go
>"hey babe can I fix something on the console quick?"
>hands me controller
>flip the camera around Link 3 times
>hand it back to her, she has been in this room atleast 4 times without problems but the face she had it was like a maze to her
>she gets lost, was almost done and I pretty much got her to stay there for another 30 mins

Looking back at it I feel like a fedora for doing it.
>>
File: 1465847455766.jpg (171 KB, 580x1744) Image search: [Google]
1465847455766.jpg
171 KB, 580x1744
>>345370089
You should really play Tomb Raider Anniversary anon. TR Legend was really good too but the remake is honestly a solid game despite the hate it gets. Only issue is with the changes to the story they made to make it more dramatic.
>>
>>345369621
>That's why 1 is still the best TR.
That's a weird way to spell TR: Anniversary.
>>
File: 1468322808850.jpg (18 KB, 500x299) Image search: [Google]
1468322808850.jpg
18 KB, 500x299
>>345372619
My nigga
>>
File: chronicles.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
chronicles.jpg
169 KB, 1920x1080
Worthy of being considered part of the PS1 classics, or terrible cash-in?

A debate almost as heated as whether Silent Hill 4 is part of classic SH.
>>
>>345372818
>The fucking Ireland level
Nope.
>>
File: 1464714949828.jpg (123 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
1464714949828.jpg
123 KB, 1242x2208
>>345372818
Well I loved Rome. Then again, I played it with my sister on a brand new Dreamcast.

Fuck, I want my childhood back
>>
>First game made by British devs
>Latest game made by yanks
Murrikans loved shooting things.
>>
File: 1449583405132.jpg (388 KB, 1803x1351) Image search: [Google]
1449583405132.jpg
388 KB, 1803x1351
>>345372818
>Asked for TR Chronicles for Christmas
>Wake up the night before Christmas and take a peek at the presents
>Find i got exactly what i wanted
>Carefully opened it and played it for a few hours before going back to bed

good times....
>>
>>345371397
I always felt bad about killing these guys accidentally
>>
>>345370993
Is he left-handed? I heard left-handed people have trouble telling left from right.
>>
>>345372574
Why would someone hate TRA?

Besides the few QTEs?
>>
>>345367807
>Original Lara is a physically and mentally strong woman
>braves extreme conditions and fights off wild beasts
>does what she does because she wants to, not to impress anyone or to go against the grain just for the sake of it
>so confident and comfortable with her sexuality that she waves off male creep flirtation with jokes
>can not see her as anything but an empowering role model for women
>play TR1 in my horniest teenage years and enjoy a damn good game, despite not "identifying" with the main character
>my face when 20 years after the fact people call OG Lara literally sexist Hitler because big boobs
>>
File: relaxing after a raid.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
relaxing after a raid.jpg
330 KB, 1920x1080
>Lara will never be real

Why even live
>>
>>345375603
Nostalgia fags mainly.

Remake doesn't have such an atmosphere of isolation and ruin the original did. Plus I believe remake removed a few areas especially in egypt but I didn't mind. The cut areas wasn't that good anyhow.
My only flaw with it is that they wanted to humanise Lara by having her pull a sad or indecisive face every now and then to make things more dramatic when killing Larson and the whole thing with Natla bringing up her father
>>
File: elyt boyz.jpg (22 KB, 401x182) Image search: [Google]
elyt boyz.jpg
22 KB, 401x182
>>345367807
Some games for kids still use them, but quests and puzzles are childish for modern TR.
>>
>>345375603
Eh, TRA gameplay felt more like a new Prince of Persia game than TR.

Still a good game.
>>
File: screen7.jpg (92 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
screen7.jpg
92 KB, 1024x512
>>345368894
Their legend trilogy was good.
>>
>>345375913
It's weird when men can write more empowered female heroes then women can. Seriously, I'm fucking confused on how this can be.

Lara Croft, Samus Aran, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, some of the RE girls.

What is it that some female writers don't understand?
>>
Actually just finished slogging through the first TR game. God damn it was such a struggle. Loved the look, but the controls were fucking unforgivable. Maybe the PlayStation version is better, but hot hell the DOS version is not fun in the slightest.
>>
>>345377087
Not any different on playstation boyo I'm assuming you didn't play with mouse and keyboard. It's not any different through the 1st 5 TR games, angel of darkness either made things worse or slightly better. Really depends
>>
you ask what happend?

dudebro cinematic walking simulators like uncharted happend, became very successfull among the generic dudobro shitgamer and therefore influenced tomb raider in a bad way and basically assimilated what what once was a great game.
>>
Dudebros happened.
>>
File: laraevo2.jpg (97 KB, 960x415) Image search: [Google]
laraevo2.jpg
97 KB, 960x415
>>345375913
>because big boobs
The funny thing is they were never even that big, it's like calling a guy who's 6'3 an inhumanly, inconceivably massive towering giant. In her bustiest incarnations she's on the highest end of normal, but I can walk around my neighborhood and see many women with tits that big. The only reason her boobs attracted attention in the first place was because she was a MC when women were still pretty uncommon in the role and people threw shitfits over it, but I'm baffled as to why that meme continued.
>>
>>345379769
They are pretty big in relation to her fit as a fiddle body.
>>
>>345372619
Legend is better in every way
>>
>>345377071
It's not necessarily a 'woman' thing, for instance, off the top, Hermione is a genuinely empowered girl written by a woman. The problem is politics and expectations- women feel like they have to 'shoulder a burden' and 'make up' for poor female characters so they make decisions by committee, trying to appeal to what other people think and make compromises and generally put in no integrity. Most guys, on the other hand, don't really give a fuck and they just write a good character and then give that character tits.
>>
>>345379769
The face of newraider looks so out of place among them.
>>
>>345380375
It was too cinematic.
>>
>>345377071
I also enjoyed the fact that feminists were labeling old Lara as nothing more than a giant pair of tits. Talk about internalized soggy knees. Now that's it's clear that this new Lara is a complete clusterfuck character wise compared to old Lara things have gone suspiciously quiet for TR.

Though I think a large part of the problem can be put on Square Enix, not Crystal Dynamics. I get the impression they just looked at what games in a similar genre were popular i.e. Uncharted and just straight up copied it. Too many cinematic set pieces where everything has to be grandiose.
>>
>>345369351
>Laura

Fucking end yourself. You were a mistake.
>>
>>345374539
I just leave them to it and fight the winner
>>
>>345379769
>I'm baffled as to why women moan about other women
seriously?
>>
>>345372818

I fucking loved Chronicles.

Then again, I loved all the classics and have the full PS set and AoD for PS2. So I might be a fanboy and have clouded judgement.

II was probably my favorite, followed by Chronicles and III. I actually am in the minority I think since last revelation and TRI are my least favorites minus a few exceptional parts.
>>
>>345372564

Fucking kek.

Sounds pretty qt and baka of her desu. I love ladylike dumbness and it's so sad it's now removed from western media. The only place I can find it now is in my Thai tattoo's.
>>
>>345375913
I don't really get why original Lara is branded as sexist yet new Lara, who is an insecure, weak, crying wreck of a person who simultaneously slaughters hundreds of people and then has death animations that linger on her mangled body is considered a feminist icon.
>>
>>345381906
Because her tits are B cups, which is an acceptable size for a respectable woman. D cup or over means the woman is a prostitute and an insult to feminism.
>>
File: 1467674077715.jpg (98 KB, 1044x768) Image search: [Google]
1467674077715.jpg
98 KB, 1044x768
>>345380538
>>345380761
That makes sense. Worst part is they refuse to admit anything the older characters genuinely did better. Plus, male writers more often then not writes a woman for who they are as a character and aren't afraid flaunt their sexuality as an asset or advantage.

>>345381906
I remember the hate new samus got from Metroid Other M yet it was mostly males that opposed the changes. It's just funny that landwhale tumblr dykes would rather want weaker women that have to cry or be indecisive then strong protagonists that have their shit together.
>>
>>345381636
Tomb Raider 3 sucked. It was impossible IMPOSSIBLE to beat it without a walkthrough or FAQ. Every room had some bullshit trap or forced you to pixel hunt for hours looking for some tiny little lever that blended into the wall.

Plus if you were playing on the PS1 you had to deal with save crystals and limited saves. I honestly have no idea how people on the PS1 ever beat the game.

Just a masochistic game for no reason.
>>
>>345379769
>Even kid Croft was hot
Fuck man.
>>
>>345382368
>Loli luara

Fun game but it was pretty easy. I think it's the one that also introduced running and crawling.
>>
At least Lara Croft GO was good
>>
File: TRIII south pacific.png (385 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
TRIII south pacific.png
385 KB, 640x480
>>345382348

I made it through India and area 51 without a guide (missing almost all the secrets mind you) through a lot of trial and error and save/loading. Yes the crystals absolutely sucked. For the last half of the game I bought a Prima strategy guide.

I agree with your assessment though, TRIII was fucking unreal in its difficulty compared to other TR games. I think Angel of Darkness was the only game that managed to frustrate me more than TRIII and that more due to bugs than actual level design.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.