[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game worth buying or is it just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: stardew.png (105 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
stardew.png
105 KB, 600x800
Is this game worth buying or is it just a meme?
>>
Just play Harvest Moon 64 or Friends of Mineral Town, which this game copied.
>>
>>345350074
are they actually better?
I'm just looking for a comfy game.
>>
>>345349871

If you liked harvest moon, yes.

But who was best girl?
>>
>>345350209

Yes. The HM games I listed are the best ones. And better than Stardew Valley.
>>
>>345350074
This.

It really is just a meme game. It's baffling to me seeing all of these youtube shills start out their 'review' with the game by saying 'I've never played a Harvest Moon game, but...'

STOP. Play a real Harvest Moon game, and then judge Stardew Valley. SV doesn't even have the distinction of ripping off a dead franchise the way MN9 did... Story of Seasons is going strong, and Rune Factory 5 is surely on the way.
>>
>>345350209
Not really. Stardew has a lot more content than the more older HM games, but HM generally has the better characters, even if they are more simple.

Then again there's little reason to play HM when Rune Factory is a thing.
>>
>>345351365

The creator of Stardew Valley has also been accused of creating accounts to give his game fake steam reviews and shilling on /v/.
>>
>>345351869
well so is the creator of rimworld
you cant fucking stop the shilling
>>
So, what does this game actually do worse?

Everyone just says "it's Harvest Moon but worse" but nobody ever gives any reason for it. From what I've played of Harvest Moon Stardew Valley seems to be pretty fun. I tried it for a very short while and it seemed to me to be more than functional. Less archaic than the older Harvest Moon games as well which is nice.

Biggest issue to me seems to be that it's lacking in a lot of the charm that the Japs bring. But that's understandable.
>>
>>345349871

I'd buy it on sale if you're really a big fan of the farming sims and have enjoyed HM. Stardew valley generally speeds up what would normally be tedious tasks by involving a mouse for manipulating some items. There's also more options for making money later in the game beyond just farming crops.

Unfortunately animals are pretty shit right now and cost a huge amount upfront compared to their products, it's also difficult to produce sufficient fodder at the moment for animals as well which could require you to buy it if you wanted to have multiple barns.

Still though, there's a fair bit of territory to explore outside of the normal town area which is cool. Characters are shit compared to HM but the quests are much more interesting
>>
>>345349871
It's simple and fun, I don't know if the /vg/ thread is still alive but there were some nude monstergirl mods for the animals if you get bored of playing the game normally.
>>
>>345351365
>Play a real Harvest Moon game

How many are on PC?
>>
>>345353481
None if I recall correctly. Maybe there's some shitty Facebook game out there or something.

All of them except the 3DS ones if you count emulation.
>>
>>345353684
So what's the value of HM to someone playing SV on PC?
>>
>>345354127
More charm essentially. That's about it.

You should give Rune Factory 3 a try though, that shit is baller.
>>
>>345353067
As a fan of Harvest Moon, I am interested in the answer to this as well
>>
>>345351798
Get Rune Factory 4, which has more content than everything.
>>
It's a comfy game and fun.

And there's not a thing wrong with that.
>>
>>345355163
I will when the 3DS emulator becomes playable.
>>
>>345353067

Character interaction is horrible. Art design is horrible. Some farming mechanics are better but a lot are worse than older HM games. Basically, it lacks the big things that made HM unique and addicting.
>>
>>345356247
So if I'm mostly there for the farming I should be good to go?

Most HM games I can't even bother chasing the bitches half the time.
>>
>>345355163
RF4 sucks.
>>
it's not good. people mistake breadth for depth. the dialogue is so shallow that if you pursue any relationship it'll just be for the sake of it, or because you picked out a character portrait you liked. the spelunking is boring and doesn't get more challenging or complex as you get deeper, etc
>>
>>345356742
So, Harvest Moon then?
>>
>>345353067
It's pretty much as you described. In terms of gameplay, the game took everything good from Harvest Moon and implemented it very well with a couple of quality of life improvements. The characters, atmosphere and artwork do not live up to it though.

There's a bit of a rural American influence with the trailer, banjo music and American highschool stereotype characters that doesn't charm me. Every character has some sort of depression or anxiety going on, which is likely why it clicked well with the Tumblr crowd. Portraits are pretty ugly. I used a mod to make it bearable. A lot of people also seem to praise the music, but it's largely forgettable. There are some good ones (Secret Forest music, although it's way too short) and a couple of downright amateuristic ones (one of the Summer themes starts with an incoherent sequence of bleeps that supposedly represents a melody).

I do like the openness in terms of choice, though. It implements that open RPG element very well where you can pick a sort of build and go with it. You can go full-on animal care, build a beer farm or just focus on fishing while you occasionally check your row of beehives. Had a lot of fun with it myself.
>>
>>345356742
>playing for virtual relationships
its a comfy farming game
you give people shit and they like you, just like in real life
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.