[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /v/ feel about the original DOOM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1468533406785s.jpg (10 KB, 233x250) Image search: [Google]
1468533406785s.jpg
10 KB, 233x250
How does /v/ feel about the original DOOM?
>>
classic

brutal doom is fun
>>
>>345347550
Neutral, it ok.
>>
Prefer 2 or Hexen, but they're all amazing still.
>>
A fun game that holds up well, despite some levels being basically " troll the player with bad enemy placement "

Still, its very enjoyable even on vanilla, but fan wads are half of the fun to be had here.
>>
best game of all time desu
>>
Doom 1 has objectively better level design, but 2 has the motherfucking super shotgun.
>>
I've always been impressed by how it's apparently an entirely 2D game masquerading as 3D. I STILL don't know how they pulled it off.

The base game is showing its age but still enjoyable enough, but when you take into acount all the ports and updated fan versions of it like ZDoom with Brutal Doom installed, it is still one of the best FPS games of all time, to this day. Legitimately amazing, and it shows damn well how you will always be able to pull things [read, satisfying gore] with sprite works that 3D models still struggle with.
>>
Brutal Doom is the way this game was meant to be played.
>>
>>345349073
I don't understand this.

You move in all directions, and shoot things vertically and horizontally. Maybe to programmers it's "2D", but you play it as a 3D game. How is it any different than any other FPS in terms of dimensions?

Is Duke Nukem 3D actually 2D?
>>
It's alright. Fun for awhile but very repetitive.
>>
trash. too many guns at once
>>
File: a.jpg (143 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
143 KB, 1024x768
>Brutal Doom
>>
>>345349336
Ken Levine pls go
>>
>>345349268
Shut up
>>
>>345349336
Sorry, not every character in fps is a underwhelming faggot
>>
>>345349073

From wikipedia:

"... the Doom engine and levels are not truly three-dimensional; they are internally represented on a single plane, with height differences stored separately as displacements (a similar technique is still used in many games to create expansive outdoor environments)."
>>
Quake is more fun.
>>
>>345349372
>>345349651
No that guy actually has a point about these old school FPS games.

People tend to nostalgia too much with them. The multiple weapon limit in reality wasn't even that good. Most weapons are useless and you will rely on a few anyways. Two weapon limit has introduced a lot more tactics into shooter games and is therefore much better.

What is the point of being able to carry a dozen or more weapons at once when only 4 at most will get 99% of the use?
>>
>>345350098
This is good bait
>>
>>345350098
>every gun is the pistol

k
>>
>>345350098
>Most weapons are useless and you will rely on a few anyways.
Citation needed. On a poorly designed game, maybe, but good shooters know how to design weapons so that you don't have five different varieties of pea shooters and a goddamn gauss cannon.

Look at Doom as a prime example of that.

Weapon limits are constrictive and take away a lot more than they add.
>>
>>345350098
>>345350640
if that's good bait I'm the King of Mars
>>
>>345350797
The fact that the SSG vastly outshines other weapons in a lot of cases is just about the only legitimate complaint that can be made against Doom weapon balance, and even then it was sort of required when you consider the type of enemies Doom 2 ended up adding. Doom 1 was pretty well balanced when it came to weaponry and enemies.

Even then, part of the reason why Doom is the best game is that it's so blazingly easy to modify. Don't like the weapons, add a gameplay mod.

Brutal Doom is pleb tier though, even fucking Complex is better
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.