[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of ranked/competitive modes in games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Walhart.jpg (6 KB, 284x159) Image search: [Google]
Walhart.jpg
6 KB, 284x159
Just an idea I've been thinking about, but in the end what's the point of competitive or ranked modes in games?

Unless you wanted to git gud and go to a pro player level such as EVO or LCS or whatever the fuck pro competitive Overwatch is, then there's no reason. When will that number you have that shows your skill satisfy you enough to say, "alright, I'm good enough now. I can stop playing."

I can explain this better using examples I think.
>Overwatch
Overwatch is a team based game that let's you show SOME degree of skill on your own however you won't win if it's you versus a full team of six. So the fun is getting together with some friends, or alone with strangers, and putting that skill on display to shit on another team of players. But you don't need a competitive mode to accomplish this.

You get a high rank and you A: go play pro and be a pro gamer. B: Use your talent to stream. Other than that it's just wanting a number to go up.

>street fighter and fighting games
Fighting games are always a one versus one scenario meaning that their inherent fun is shitting on other people. The games are about learning characters and displaying skill but you don't need a competitive mode to accomplish this.

In the end you either A: go to a pro level like EVO. Or B: use your talent to stream. Otherwise how many people do you need to beat competitively to feel satisfied?

>EVE online and MMO's
Now I'm just using EVE as an example and I am in no way implying it's a perfect example of competitive play, however I do think it's an example of fleshed out pvp in MMO's.

The thing about EVE is pvp is available from the start and the fun is teaming up with a huge group of people to take on other huge groups and shitting on them to the point to where they can't shit on you any longer.

But there is no "pro EVE" because the game is competitive by nature. The pvp IS the pro league. It doesn't need a pro league or ranked gameplay to make the pvp interesting

>1/2
>>
>>345342365
2/2
You could argue that competition by it's nature is fun. And you'd be right. But you don't need to have a ranked mode to inspire competition. Look at normals in LoL or quick play in Overwatch and see how serious people take it.

This problem never stems in singleplayer games. The end game of singleplayer games is to see and experience something new. And if the content for those games is good enough the game will stick around.

The fun of multiplayer only games is winning competitions. However when you lose or take multiple losses in these games your objective becomes about not having fun but becoming better to make sure you win and continue to have fun

Ironically by doing this you increase your skill and run into others with higher skill levels giving you a less chance for winning and a less chance for fun.
>>
>>345342365
it tricks people into thinking the game is more than just a game.
i've heard retards say things like: "games that don't have ranks are meaningless" as if games that do have ranks are somehow meaningful
basically it's just the "epic number goes up" meme (see: league of legends, cookie clicker, clicker heroes etc)
>>
>>345342365
theres no point really.. i got to challenger, spot #22 in league of legends, and i quit, i "beat" the game, i was playing with the top people, and i was winning too. there was no point in keeping playing..

also i got gladiator spot at WoW, and server #1 team in 2v2... also i quit playing there was no point, i proved myself i was good, i was a top player, i was around the best people... so there was no motivation left

like you said, if you wont go pro or stream, theres no point, just proving your e-peen
>>
>>345342365
it's about the road, not the destination
>>
>>345344730
Right. The fun is playing the game. However when you reach the destination will the time and effort you put in really reflect the value of the road?

You experience something new when you first play the game, but eventually it becomes and rinse and repeat routine with experiences sprinkled along the way.

I'm not saying multiplayer only games don't have a purpose. Their experiences are valuable, but you don't need a ranked mode to obtain them.
>>
>>345342365
>Overwatch
Only reason I want to play competitive in that game is to get golden Pistols for Tracer. That's it.

>Street Fighter
First of all, many fighting games (Tekken, Virtua Fighter, SoulCalibur) had ranked before they even had online play. You played to rank up in the arcade. Once console versions had online play, putting in ranked online just fit the spirit of the game.

Second of all, online play normally won't make you good enough to do well at Evo, with maybe the exception of Killer Instinct.

Third, if you aren't playing fighting games for the sole purpose of beating other people and improving, then you're doing it wrong. This isn't a game where you're going to be on a team with your girlfriend, and you just want to chill. In the arcades, it was necessary to be good, or someone would beat you and knock you and your casual friends off of the cabinet. If you wanted to beat Bison, you better be good enough to survive any motherfucker who walks up to your cabinet. The main reason to play the game is to git good. That's it. If you aren't trying to git good, fighting games themselves are really fucking boring. Ranked isn't even the best way to git good, and is normally fucked by shitty netcode and hackers though. Best way is to look for local weekly and enter tournaments.
>>
>>345343118
my favourite is when I mention that there's no leveling or unlocking stuff in the game, you get everything from the start and they reply "what are you even playing for then?"

even though I call them my friends, I'd gladly slap them sometimes
>>
Competetive mode is for people who want less fun and more tryhard and ofc tryharding is fun fir those people but the shitters doesnt understand that if you want the "fun" games they should play normal
>>
>>345345802
>Second of all
right I was going to make another post about how, yeah, if these modes didn't exist, then there would be no pro players at all.

>Third
And right I totally agree. Shitting on people in fighting games is great and their purpose is to get better and shit on other people.
>>
I've played a couple of games at a competitive level and I can tell you ranked modes are a good way to jumpstart a player's career into the competitive scene, also it's a measure of skill and a good way to feel your progress as you get better.

I think it's interesting to see how players evolve and improve with a ranked system.
In my opinion all games benefit from a ranked mode, it also helps keep the "just playing for fun" types to the unranked mode and the people who want to try their best in the ranked mode.

For a shitter though it's just a source of butthurt.
>>
>>345342365
>What's the point of ranked/competitive modes in games?
So I wouldn't have contact with toxic communities of "pro" players and just have fun.
>>
>>345346623
>implying people in LoL normals don't spurg like it's ranked
>implying people in quick play overwatch don't spurg like it's ranked

Hell I'm even guilty of spruging every one and a while
>>
it's the only point of a multiplayer game

If it doesn't have it, it's because it's a bad multiplayer or unfinished
>>
>>345346891
Well, lucky for me, i play none of these.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.