[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which model of the PS2 is the best one to buy? PCSX2 + AMD isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: playstation-2.jpg (358 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
playstation-2.jpg
358 KB, 1536x1024
Which model of the PS2 is the best one to buy?

PCSX2 + AMD isn't good enough
>>
>>345331552
Not the last slim model that they came out with, that one is a hassle to pirate, any other model is fine except for the original, as the DVD reader likes to crap out if you plan on using pirated dvds.
>>
39xxx

Anything does the job, really, but in terms of completeness, this is the best you get.
Newer fat models lack that rarely used i Link, and slims don't have hard drives.
>>
If you get a fat, you can use an internal hard drive to pirate. But the lasers are unreliable.

If you get a slim, don't get the super late model that doesn't support FreeMCBoot.
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 640x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 640x849
Just bought this last night, was it a good deal?
>>
>>345334839
hmm since it has component cables and 3 memory cards i think it's a solid deal.
>>
>>345334839
Nigga, didn't you make a thread last night asking the same question?
>>
>>345331552
fat because you can put a hard drive in it.
>>
>>345334839
those better be first party memory cards
also should've got at least two pads
>>
File: PS2-Fat-Console-Back-Ntwrk.jpg (3 MB, 2613x3960) Image search: [Google]
PS2-Fat-Console-Back-Ntwrk.jpg
3 MB, 2613x3960
>>345331552
Fat for homebrew
>get pic related and IDE Hard drive
>pick either Free MCBoot or Free HDBoot
>Almost endless PS2 gaems

You can get the slim too, but it's not that easy to mod, and the 9000 series needs a hardmod.
>>
>>345331552
Fat PS2:
>FMCB compatible
>Can play burnt games or off a hard drive (need to buy a piece for the expansion bay, it's not expensive like $20-$30)
>Codebreaker works off usb without problems
>Fat's ugly

Slim PS2:
>FMCB compatible
>Can only play burnt games, no HDD
>Codebreaker sort of works but you need to take out the USB after the CB logo appears otherwise you'll be frozen on a screen
>Slim looks better

I got both models but my slim is in storage, the fat's better for pirating and dicking around with. If I didn't have a hard drive though I'd probably prefer the slim.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 662x686) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 662x686
>>345335530
no
>>
Isnt the best one the 39000R1 or some shit?
>>
>>345336629
>>345337573

free hd boot?

Do games run smoothly off the hd?

what about slim through etehernet off external or server
>>
>>345338552

>Do games run smoothly off the hd?
Even better than DVDs. In terms of performance it's the best.

>what about slim through etehernet off external or server
Some FMV stuttering.
>>
>>345338552
Free MC Boot isn't the only way to homebrew a Fat PS2
http://imgur.com/a/2rUST

More or less, some games have issues. Which games, I forget.

You could do that too, just know how to set it up.
>>
>>345338552
They run smooth off HDD, faster loading screens. You don't want to use an external, there are people that connect their PS2 to their PC via Ethernet to play ISO's on the PC's HDD somehow. I could never figure it out.
>>
File: s3.gif (273 KB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
s3.gif
273 KB, 189x189
I have 2 slim PS2
A CRT TV with only component input

What can I do with this?
>>
>>345332641
Actually it supports with a modchip (Matrix Infinity etc), just set uLanchElf to autoboot. Config uLaunchElf redirect to freeMCBoot menu.
>>
File: Sena's an expert.png (326 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
Sena's an expert.png
326 KB, 580x580
>>345339115
Put the yellow in the green slot.
>>
>>345339115

>Component
Do you possibly mean composite?
>>
>>345339358
Oops, yeah I did.
>>
>>345339458

Well, what more do you want? Plug your console in your TV and play vidya.
>>
How good is the PS2 emulation of PS1 games?
>>
>>345339115
freemcboot with network loading, you set up a partition for you PS2 vidya, put your games up there, share it, connect ps2 to your pc or router over ethernet and load vidya from network
>>
>>345339854

Do you mean the native backwards compatibility or do you mean the emulation?
>>
>>345339854
it just werks
well for most games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
>>
>>345338959
Something called an SMB server, at least to some anons in another thread on /hbg/
>>
>>345340238
Good enough that there's no point in having a PS1, if you're not interested in the incompatible games?
>>
Any specific fat ps2 models to avoid? Any fat ps2 problems to try and prevent, like with the fat ps3's over heating like mad, you can put thermal paste and buy a fan mod. Anything for a fat ps2?
>>
File: 51awGk+oETL._SL1000_.jpg (31 KB, 1000x713) Image search: [Google]
51awGk+oETL._SL1000_.jpg
31 KB, 1000x713
>>345338552
>>345338959
I'm a SMB user. Due to a complicated process, somewhere in my daisy chain of mess I have wifi in the process, and it caused some quirks. Instead of investing in a NAS which is a networking hard drive, this $30 thing pretty much turns a socket into LAN port, a USB port for your iso vault (or charging your phone) that has its own router page which will help you set up OPL in the PS2. This device was described as a traveling and portable networking swiss army knife, so I think it's definitely worth checking out.

810 is the new 300mbps version and 710 is the old, discontinued 150mbps version.
>>
>>345340630
Its not really an issue as long as you keep your console clean
>>
Any good guides on how to properly burn PS2 games to discs? Some games use DVD9 and are like 6+ gigs.

Many people burn games but the games have problems due to the burning process.

I just want to play Xenosaga trilogy. Buying is too expensive, for the 3rd game specifically, and emulating those games are shit too. STILL.
>>
>>345340630
nothing I've heard of, most often problem is the laser reader dying and that becomes unessential if you load vidya from HDD or network
>>
>>345338832
It actually depends on the game and if you use OPL or HDL to launch the game, iirc God of War has stuttering cutscenes on one of the programs but doesn't stutter on the other program.
>>
How do I load PS2 iso's off the HDD of a fat ps2?

Any good guides?
>>
>>345340545
There are some games that I know for certain have bugs and issues but are still playable that aren't listed there. Vigilante 8 runs at a lower framerate and has graphical glitches, for instance.

If you can get a cheap PS1 in addition to a PS2 then there's no harm in having both of them, hell they use the same power cords and AV cables so you can just switch to the PS1 when you want to play PS1 games.
>>
>>345341338

flash the FHDB noobie pack to your hard drive and you're good to go
>>
So what are my options for playing ISO's on my slim PS2?

What models do I look for when buying a slim PS2 and what methods are available?

>SMB server

Looks complex

>burning games

Might do it

>external hard drive

Isnt both fat and slim PS2's USB 1.0 or 1.1?
>>
>>345341804
>Looks complex
it's not that hard
don't do the external HDD because it's slow as shit due to the USB 1.0 or whatever speeds.
Burning games is the easiest way but you gotta buy the discs and always have that chance of your reader failing as it's the first thing that dies.
>>
Any ps1 console mods?
>>
>>345341804

external hard drive is completely shit

either burn games or use SMB
>>
>>345341804
You can solder a harddrive dock onto the earlier slim models to get hard drive support
>>
>>345341804
>SMB
Networking will make you want to pull your hair out unless you've figured it out, or you're good with networking. Investment: a way to boot the Free McBoot installer, like buying a cheat utility disc or borrow a friend's, plus a crossover cable.

>Burning
Seems easy enough, but you still need to exploit or modchip your PS2, deal with investing in DVDs and headaches of burning, especially for dual layered games.

>External
Fine for playing PS1 games but it's too slow for PS2 games.

>Hard drive
If you have a IDE hard drive laying around, it's worth looking into, but I don't have one and I'd rather look into SMB than to spend extra money on old tech, and old hard drives don't have large capacity anyway.
>>
>>345341057
I thought burnt PS2 games was done by using the slowest write possible and using DVD-R, no? Or am I thinking of the Wii?

>>345341338
look up winhiip to do that. Would post a vid, but the first 5 minutes of most of them don't really get to the point.
>>
>>345342558

slowest write possible is a meme. Modern DVD drives don't require that.
>>
>>345342558
>I thought burnt PS2 games was done by using the slowest write possible and using DVD-R, no? Or am I thinking of the Wii?

Its ps2. Slowest speed possible. Some say 4x some say 8x some say 1x some say even 16x is fine though.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.