[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most comfy way to play GBA games without using a pc?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
What's the most comfy way to play GBA games without using a pc?
>>
>>345330919
GBA SP or DS or Wii U
>>
A gameboy?
>>
File: EB.png (406 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
EB.png
406 KB, 970x546
>>345331378
Which one? Just bought a fan translated cart of Mother 3 because my laptop was off on the rhythm .
>>
GBA classic. Preferably with a backlit screen taken from an AGB-101.

Maybe you instead want one of the old chunky classic DS.
>>
>>345331532
GB Micro is what I use, but a DS lite is cheaper and DS flashcards are cheap, if you want to hack shit up.
>>
>>345330919
A Hacked PSP.
>>
>>345331532
I personally like the SP. It needs a headphone jack though. Fortunately there are adapters available.

If there are at least a couple other games you want to play, I'd recommend grabbing an EZFlash IV while you still can unless you'd rather wait for the Everdrive
>>
Emulator + Controller + HDMI into TV
I don't know why you'd cry "no PC" when the best method is PC.
>>
You could play them on the Gamecube if you have right equipment, probelm is that's somewhat expensive but it's worth it completely.
>>
>>345332273
problem
>>
>>345330919
Android smartphone

Not joking
>>
>>345332451
What is the best emulator?
>>
>>345331907
Fucking this. Soft modding my PSP was easily the best gaming related thing I've done in a long time.
>>
>>345332247
>portable games
>on a tv
>>
OG GBA or a DS

I had an SP growing up but it was cramped as fuck and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Never used a micro but it looks infinitely worse in that regard.
>>
>>345334051
retroarch
and then you have to choose from 5 different cores
>>
>>345335012
Micro is fine with my monster hands, it's spaced out enough. I find it more comfortable then a DS Lite, but not as good as a dualshock or DS phat.
>>
>>345331532
where did you get it?
>>
I play them on my DS. I had an SP when it came out and I liked it, but I don't have one anymore.
>>
DS Phat (outside of that it is unergonomic galore).
What ever brand of phone controller that fits the best on your hand.
A Vita with PSP mode HB for that sweet ass D-Pad and triggers.
>>
>>345339127

How nice is the DS Phat? Ergonomics, buttons, dpad?
>>
>>345339589
battery life compared to lite and above is shit
backlight ain't as bright but it should hold
it's comfy as fuck to hold for hours plus
original DS form
mmm
electric blue
>>
>>345339589
Compared to the DS line.
Fits better on the hand, the D-pad is not microscopic, the triggers feel better too, less clicky, more weighty.
They fucking ruined the DS line after it.

On itself, the D-pad is legit as fuck, and fits pretty well on the hand.
>>
>>345332107
>Fortunately there are adapters available.
That's great, how are you going to charge your GBA SP while listening to the game through headphones?

Oh that's right, you can't because there was only ever one headphone jack adapter that didn't block a fucking port.
>>
I play on my android with friends from school. My Boy! is the best GBA emulator on android since you can link up
>>
>>345341585

I had one with that function, and wasn't madcatz. It didn't have a wire trailing off, just the 3.5mm ack on the block.
>>
gameboy player
>>
>>345330919
Imo:

1. SP
Plays GBC + GBA, has a nice backlight, and folds for portability, but also breaks easily (at least for me). I have two, and one's backlight is broken while the other one's charger port doesn't allow the battery to charge. Been too lazy to fix it, but there are guides online if you're confident in repairing it. Keep in mind that I haven't checked if anyone provides a service for that either, but someone in your area might.

2. GCN GB Player
$10 on Amazon, and it's nice to play on a large tv and chill on your bed/couch, but does require the Gamecube. Also uses the console controller to play so that could be a problem if you don't like that.

3. Virtual Console
You can simply download a game onto an already owned console and play games on the tv, but this comes with a few drawbacks: repaying for a game you already physically have; depending on the console you buy it on, you may be stuck only ever playing at home; the game you wanna play might not be sold there

4. DS
Plays GBA + DS, but no GBC. Depending on what handhelds you have, this could be a good choice to fill in gaps. But for me, after getting used to the regular 3DS, the DS feels especially bulky and old. It's very big for what it does and takes up some space if you wanted to carry it in a pocket or bag. It's also sad when you're ready to play a GBC game and forget the DS doesn't play it. The console does share the same charger as the SP, though, so that's nice if you already have one.

5. GBA
Plays GBA and GBC games. I always thought that the screens were nice, but given some of the other options out there, it can be a pain not to have a backlight. If you're willing to take the the time, there are backlight kits and installation guides online if you wanna do it yourself. Kits go for ~$90 and fully installed GBAs go for around $120 - $150. It also takes batteries, which might be enough to dissuade you

TLDR;
imo:
1. SP
2. GCN GB Player
3. Virtual Console
4. DS
5. GBA

Hope this helps
>>
Micro a best
>>
File: WARIO.jpg (320 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
WARIO.jpg
320 KB, 2560x1440
>>345330919
On a DS.
>>
File: 1410289961789.jpg (46 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1410289961789.jpg
46 KB, 640x360
>>345332247
>>345334876
>connected with a HDMI
>>
>>345342972
>5. GBA
>not GBA SP
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.