[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did From think it was acceptable to use an engine that slows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: img_573d12d2a7d0b[1].png (834 KB, 961x710) Image search: [Google]
img_573d12d2a7d0b[1].png
834 KB, 961x710
Why did From think it was acceptable to use an engine that slows to a crawl the moment a single entity appears on screen? Why did they think it was acceptable to use it four times?

Why is it still so engaging?

King's Field thread.
>>
>>345295175
>gehehe
>>
>>345295175
Are these games solid dungeon crawlers?
>>
Started Shadow Tower. Was kind of hoping they would have fixed the slowdown by the time they used it for a sort-of spinoff, but oh well.
>>
>>345295292
I have Kings Field on PS1 (US so its actually kings field 2 in the rest of the world). Its pretty solid if you can look past the age and extremely dated visuals.

I heard the first Kings Field is pretty bad by todays standards though but I would definitely give the second one a shot.
>>
>>345295341
some of the enemies look p spooky from the game footage i just saw
>>
>>345295175
Pretty sure the first JP KF was the only one that didn't slow to a crawl with multiple enemies for some reason.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>345296324
The game is a bit spookier than King's Field.
>>
File: 1466071138604.png (22 KB, 155x148) Image search: [Google]
1466071138604.png
22 KB, 155x148
fearsome
>>
>>345295292
the second game is amazing, my favorite from game, but you still have to know the game is really slow and looks bad even for a PS1 game.

kings field is pretty rewarding if you give it a shot though, you have to force yourself to play it at the start because of how bad it seems, but once you get into the meat of it its good as fuck
>>
>>345295175
just limitations of the ps1
the old kings field games aren't that great either, very simple and repeditive
shadow tower, KF 4 and shadow tower abyss are absolutely worth playing though
>>
60 fps emulator hacks when?

I literally cannot play this game again until I get a locked frame-rate. I played it as a kid and it was fucking awful but appealing.
>>
Did anyone beat it?

I have got to the dragon at the end of that weird dimension but I just couldn't do it anymore. The game is hard as fuck and I already went through a lot of shit to get to that point but that was just too much. I'm not the type to quit before beating the game but for this I thought okay I spent enough time but it's over.

Great game though.
>>
>>345295175
>Was one of the first games to be built with a world that loads on the spot

Well, no shit it was going to have problems. I'd rather they take the intitiative to enhance the game world and feeling than just do what everyone else did. That's over half the industries problem these days. They just want to make the next big FPS, MMO, MOBA by copying and pasting everything that made those games successful when often it was just dumb luck anyways.
>>
>>345301473
It's not worth it. I played a 60fps locked version... everything just unnatural plays fast forward and it makes combat horrible. I don't think emulators are going to be able to fix it unless a specific game hack is employed too. The engine is part of the problem.
>>
>>345302137
Yeah, I've beaten it. I enjoyed it.

People can say what they want, but I felt like there was more freedom in King's Field 2 than in KF3. So I naturally enjoyed it more because I liked getting lost and being afraid of what was going to happen next.
>>
>>345295175
You have to remember that this is a PS1 game from 1994 no less. I don't even know if the people at From Software made any games before this.

They certainly didn't just sprout up from nowhere, did they?
>>
>>345302590
Well there was sort of a sudden surge in the mid 90s of devs because when Sony came out claiming no where near the restrictions that Nintendo had on 3rd parties everyone thought, well its wild west again. I mean, yeah back then people loved the PS1 but to be fair that lack of restriction did to PS1 what it has done to phones... so many bad games.
>>
>>345302590
Their second game. First game out worldwide.
>>
>>345302790
My mistake, I just looked at OP's image and assumed it was the actual first.

I'm aware that the sequel is billed as the first game over in the US.
>>
>playing shadow tower at the moment
>run into weird badger NPC that talks in a funny voice and laughs a lot while giving vague but key information about the world
Souls sure is the direct evolution of this stuff in more ways than just the dungeon crawling. Really scratching that sparsely detailed strange world itch.

>"you'll be able to trade things for items, the demons use them to trade for souls"
You can trade my old pants I sold for health potions for souls now I guess. I wonder if that's where they got the inspiration for the soul-based economy in Demons's.
>>
>>345304075
Maybe. But I mean, God of War, Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha all had orbs and souls for trade too.
>>
>get behind enemy
>they slowly try to turn around
>keep circle strafing them
This shit even made it into the Souls game. Why did they not fix it after the first time
>>
>>345306359
legitimate tactic.
>>
I've only ever played KF4, but that was one of my favorite PS2 games. Should I bother with KF2?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.