[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Educational vidya? Like Civ5 taught me a lot about history WHILE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 1465956159889.png (1 MB, 540x486) Image search: [Google]
1465956159889.png
1 MB, 540x486
Educational vidya?

Like Civ5 taught me a lot about history WHILE playing the game.

Besides reading a fucking book.
>>
I learned fractions and expanded my vocabulary earlier than other kids via video games.
>>
kill yourself
>>
I've noticed that non-native speakers who didn't play "dumb" straightforward action/adventure games on PS, and instead played sims and RTS games were miles ahead when we started to learn English.
>>
File: 1468664856780.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1468664856780.gif
3 MB, 480x360
>>345291657
already did
>>
>>345291521
I learned a lot of English by playing Runescape when I was a wee Swede.
>>
>>345291521
Europa Universalis 4
>>
>>345291521
I only knew the Byzantine Empire existed after playing CK2.
Why the fuck don't they teach about it in schools? It's one of the most relevant countries of it's time.
>>
Paradox Interactive games like Europa Universalis and especially Hearts of Iron teach you a lot of geography and some history.
>>
File: civ samurai.jpg (351 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
civ samurai.jpg
351 KB, 1920x1080
Civ V taught me to appreciate glorious nippon steel folded over 9000 times.
>>
>>345292119
ISOLATING
>>
>>345291606
This, my uncle taught me the concepts of negative numbers while play Crash Team Racing, and some shitty Rayman educational game taught me algebra. Good lord that game was unforgiving
>>
>>345293059
crash tag team racing?? was the greatest game tbqh. Nina was overpowered.
>>
>>345293131
No you pasta primavera, CTR, as in the first one
>>
File: XNiCN2S.gif (2 MB, 387x217) Image search: [Google]
XNiCN2S.gif
2 MB, 387x217
>>345292563
>these swords were far superior to the equivalent western longswords
topkek
the weeb delusions will never cease to make me laugh
>>
>>345292119
I have been pretty depressed and discouraged lately.

I have actually seen that video before, and never thought I would see it again. Thanks. You brightened my day with an unstoppable laugh.
>>
>>345293059
Holy shit, anon you replied to, I had that game, too and learned algebra.
>>
>>345293534
It would make more sense if they held the katana the same way the sword is being held, in both ends, and let a machine just push the swords straight through eachother.

Not for balancing, just because I wanna see two swords smash through eachother.
>>
>>345291521
Who's your Daddy
>>
>>345292119
I kinda miss those fuckers, certainly better than the numale/hamplanet crowd we have now.
>>
It barely counts, but I was able to easily navigate through the basic layout and landmarks of Rome because of Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood.
>>
>>345292563

>Is actually honest about "Tiger Terror" being a load of shit and accurately represents the Pz. III (Civ III), V (Civ IV), and VI's (Civ V) abilities to what they did in history
>>
>>345292403

Are you American?

Because in Europe it's part of the standard curriculum.
>>
How's Kerbal Space Program for educational?
Is it still in beta or early access or whatever?
Seems like a good game to put alot of houra into especially with the huge learning curve i hear about it
>>
Victoria II and pretty much any grand strategy game.
>>
>>345298515
I'm in Latin America, here after the roman empire split they only focus on the western part and the only reference made to the Byzantines after that is that the fall of Constantinople was an important event that marked the beginning of the modern age.
Actually, they didn't even mention why or how or to who Constantinople fell. The Ottoman empire was only mentioned as one of Germany's allies in WW1.
>>
>>345291521
Play worls of tanks then watch gurls&panzer congratulations now you can identify eny tank in 10 seg
>>
File: 1463049702938.jpg (572 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1463049702938.jpg
572 KB, 1024x1024
taught me that I can still feel love
>>
>>345291521
>Like Civ5 taught me a lot about history WHILE playing the game.
As Pole I could actually agree with this. We steamrolled shit out of the Europe till one day some sneaky faggots advanced upon us in tanks,

(I made long story short, but idea stays the same)
>>
RTS, if you want to be a military genius
>>
>>345291521
Just keep in mind that Civilization cannot teach you anything about macroeconomics, since they go from the assumption that a country is a household and money comes from the ether.

The most I've learned from a video game was probably playing auction house tycoon in WoW, but I don't know what the takeaways actually were.
>>
Paradox' EU, CK, HoI, Empire Earth, Valiant Hearts, MoH, MoHAA, Total War games and so on.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.