[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Starts with slower missions, just so players can get used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 4
File: sfjqe2dstmjjrtlh1f8q.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sfjqe2dstmjjrtlh1f8q.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
>Starts with slower missions, just so players can get used to the controls. Herding cattle, breaking horses, going on boring patrols, delivery missions
>Missions eventually pick up. You assault forts, use gatling guns, rob trains, conclude a civil war in a bloody battle and chase sequence, all culminating in a large battle in the snowy mountains against a Native American army.
>Game proceeds by going back to boring herding, horse breaking, delivery missions, scaring crows so they don't eat your corn

Why? These missions are not fun because you've mastered the controls at this point.
>>
>>345287004
>What is a character arc?
>>
>>345287084

I don't care, it's not fun to play
>>
>>345287084

how is that an arc?
>>
>>345287004
EXPOSITION
>>
>>345287151
Then it's not a game for you.
>>
>>345287343

It was the game for me, right until Dutch dies and the very last mission.
>>
>>345287436
Okay, bye.
>>
>>345287151
Good for you, you special little snowflake.
>>345287279
Man starts out weak, only wants to return to family life, but can't due to outside forces. He sells his soul doing all sorts of unspeakable acts. Finally regains his family life, only to realize it sucks.
Maybe his death was the best thing to happen to him.
>>
>>345287687

>Man starts out weak, only wants to return to family life, but can't due to outside forces. He sells his soul doing all sorts of unspeakable acts. Finally regains his family life, only to realize it sucks.

John doesn't think it sucks
>>
>>345287004
>These missions are not fun
Good, they're not supposed to be fun, the intention of rockstar isn't hard to figure out there either
>>
>>345287841

No, i'm pretty sure Rockstar thinks they're fun
>>
>>345287792
But we as the observer know the truth of his situation. We are allowed to judge.
>>
>>345287486
oh you fuck off. we get it Marston is trying to live the rancher life, herding animals is still boring as shit when you just got done hunting down your old gang of traitors
>>
>>345287151
i enjoyed it because i knew the game was ending and id already climaxed fuck you i guess
>>
>>345288006
You are retarded.
>>
>>345288046
You're shit at game design

Go play some run of the mill shit
>>
>>345288046
Okay, bye.
>>
>>345288006
but hes obviously pretty happy when hes home and gives no hint of it wanting to change
>>
>>345288006
lol what the fuck does this mean? John gave no indication of regretting returning to his family. It was his singular goal. Youre an idiot.
>>
>>345287963
Then you are an idiot.
>>
>>345288046
It's not even all that long. Plus, it's a decent change of pace. You aren't constantly shooting things or caught up in between different groups of people who want to kill you. He finally got what he wanted, a family life. There's just something about it that feels like it won't last, and it doesn't.
>>
>>345288207
like red dead redemption?
>>
>>345287963
Did you completely miss the entire narrative or what?
>>
>>345287004

>there are people who seriously hold this opinion.

Jesus christ. I thought the final missions were great. When you were doing the simple tasks, you were connecting with your family. Like hunting with your son. Or driving into town with your wife. You could see John trying to get his life back to normal and the bumps that come with trying to reconnect. I was really touched by the missions where he tried to relate to his son.
>>
>>345288542

No
>>
>>345288180
No U
>>345288301
Yeah. Okay. We are still allowed to feel bad for him when his wife and son treat him like shit.
>>345288302
I will agree with your second and third sentences. Doesn't change the fact that we the audience are privy to our own judgement of the situation. John was better off dead.
>>
>>345288754
So why are you confused?
>>
>>345288786
>John was better off dead.
You are retarded.
>>
>>345288904
You are angry that I have a different opinion from you.
>>
>>345288904
That guy is retarded but John did kill himself at the end
>>
File: Capture.jpg (41 KB, 918x662) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
41 KB, 918x662
Was dutch right about everything?

Was everything he said still applicable to today?
>>
No, seriously, when the fuck is the PC version?
>>
>>345288743

>Jesus christ. I thought the final missions were great. When you were doing the simple tasks, you were connecting with your family. Like hunting with your son. Or driving into town with your wife. You could see John trying to get his life back to normal and the bumps that come with trying to reconnect. I was really touched by the missions where he tried to relate to his son.

That would make sense, if the writing and acting weren't all over the place. It's never very clear how close Jack and John were pre kidnapping, one would assume not very close, but why would that be the case? It's almost like this is the first time John and Jack saw each other, and they were trying to build a relationship one awkward step at a time, but had John NOT been a constant pretense in Jacks life from the very start? I would assume the two would be, at the very least, close, and Jack is mad at John.

When you have the time replay or watch those missions and the cut scenes, the stuff is all over the place.

>>345288885

>So why are you confused?

That an entire section of a game is not fun? It is pretty confusing, i assure you.
>>
>>345287004
The best part is people will say Mexico was the worst part of the game but that's most of the actual content is at. Seriously the first part is just boring tutorial missions and the last part in west Elizabeth was fun but too short
>>
>>345289064
Yes, he did, to save his family.
>>345288994
I am angry because your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>345289180
>That an entire section of a game is not fun
Are you autistic? Try thinking about what John what would be feeling as returned to a normal life after all he went through, it's not hard
>>
>>345289246
>people will say Mexico was the worst part of the game

Do people say that? I'm pretty sure the most famous scene in the game is crossing the border into Mexico while the music builds up.
>>
>>345289439

>Try thinking about what John what would be feeling as returned to a normal life after all he went through, it's not hard

I did, and trust me, it wasn't fun.
>>
>>345289326
You should just kill yourself.
>>
>Game sacrifices gameplay for story
>writing is fucking shit regardless

overrated game, though the gameplay was never great to begin with
>>
>>345289490
Yeah it's not an unpopular opinion either which baffles me cause I thought that was the absolute best part of the game.
>>
I still want to play this game on PC.
>>
>>345289515
Then what would you have done to give resolution to the story/characters and make it fun?
>>
>>345289071
Yes, it is, though America now does that at a global scale.
Creating the same problems they are going to attack some years later.
>>
>>345289697

>Then what would you have done to give resolution to the story/characters and make it fun?

Don't ask me, i'm not a game designer.
>>
>>345289515
>I tried thinking and trust me, it wasn't fun
Fuck
>>
>>345289558
how about I kill you instead?
>>
>>345289791
First you have to leave your house. Good luck with that, fatso!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY
>>
>>345287151
Then fuck off back to Overwatch if you want you constant, instant action.
>>
im gay
>>
>>345290032

I don't wan constant action, i want fun gameplay
>>
>>345290157
RDR has great gameplay and it reflects the story perfectly.
>>
>>345287004
>>345287151
Stop complaining bitch boy
>>
>>345290141
>implying.
So nice of you to come out of the closet.
>>
>>345290157
Play a different game then. The devs achieved what they set out to achieve with the last few missions, you saying that it's not what you wanted it to be doesn't make it a bad game
>>
>>345290316

I'll complain about non-fun gameplay all i want.
>>
>>345290423
And you will be made fun of for your shit tastes.
>>
>>345290404

>Play a different game then. The devs achieved what they set out to achieve with the last few missions, you saying that it's not what you wanted it to be doesn't make it a bad game

I'd rather complain about this one, it was really great up until the farm bit. I would even have settled for "slower missions" but without the horse breaking and cattle herding, those are shit activities.
>>
RDR is one of the closest things to a perfect game that I've played in a long time
>>
>>345290157
It's a very mediocre 3rd person shooter with regen health. I can't think of a single aspect of it that is noteworthy or great.

>it reflects the story perfectly.
turning a "old gunslinger looking for redemption" into a god of death within the first two hours doesn't reflect the story perfectly at all. Honestly I can barely think of any games that reflect the story even remotely well in the gameplay. Marston is a classic GTA killing machine mascaraing as the lead in Unbroken. Only difference is the violence in Unbroken carries consequence and isn't so hilariously overplayed.
>>
>>345288046
Jesus. It's the last few missions leading up to a dramatic, heroic ending where he takes on the entire US army to protect his family. How does it bother you that much?
>>
>>345290550
>I'd rather keep posting about how this game isn't what I wanted it to be, so I don't like it
Ok have fun
>>
>>345290752
meant for
>>345290278
>>
>>345287004
It's such an overrated game. It has it's moments and the ending is good but it's boring and slow up until you finally kill that guy from Marston's old gang.
>>
>>345290752
>the PC kills a lot of enemies so that's bad for the story

You should not play video games.
>>
>>345287004
RDR has some really shit pacing. It's why I've never played it since.
>>
File: 1407126823893.jpg (73 KB, 361x691) Image search: [Google]
1407126823893.jpg
73 KB, 361x691
>>345290512

Nobody has really even said why i'm wrong, just that "it doesn't matter because it suits the story" which i understood before i made this thread. It doesn't excuse the solid hour of boring repeat mission types that were boring the first time.

I could complain about more things like the forced horse racing missions, the long stretches of riding and the characters not saying anything, or the fact that characters will literally repeat the same conversation(but with a slightly different wording) two or three times a mission. How about how John tells almost every single person he meets that he'll "shoot them", and he will do this SEVERAL times a mission. Constantly threatening to murder people doesn't make for a good character. Sure, a few threats of violence to some of the more deplorable accomplices like Irish would be fine, but he threatens to kill West Dickins several times a mission, sometimes back to back.

Oh and John has inconsistent characterization, he's typically a "gruff and down the earth sorts" but at times, the character does shit that you don't see in the rest of the game. Try watching the mission were John has to get the doctor out of town, he busts out a bit of comedy styling that he never did before or sense. It was very jarring to say the least and completely at odds with his established style of comedy
>>
>>345289071
>They'll just find another monster, John.
>They have to, to justify their wages.
>>
Goddamnit, I like RDR, but the last missions are pretty shit, with or without character development. You could just show a cutscene "and then John was a farmer, until..." instead of making people actually be a farmer. Imagine if in Mafia 1 you had to hose your lawn or taxi drive as Tony Angelo after the museum mission.
>>
>>345290995
I don't mind it. Much better games have far more killing than RDR. But I don't think the shit story is supported by middling gameplay that is more violent within an hour than the worst Stallone movie out there.

Video games are much more than story. If anything, the writing is hands down the worst aspect of almost every good videogame.

I like Doom because it's fun to play. RDR is a wannabe Macarthy novel with bargain bin level dialogue and a "contemplative" main character who kills over 50 people a day. RDR is a joke. Video game story telling is a joke. Games like RDR are a waste of time.
>>
>>345291148
Okay.
>>
>>345291340
That's a great opinion and totally explains how the gameplay does not follow the story in RDR.
>>
>>345291612
Marston is trying to redeem himself in RDR. Redemption is literally in the title.

RDR is clearly going for a understated and subtle tone, that's why the game goes out of it's way to put the player in very slow missions, even having the final few missions be completely common place.

The fact that most missions an hour in have marston killing around 20 or 30 people ruins that tone. The gameplay is over the top in the level of violence Marson is capable of, and his redemption is not believable when you consider how much ultra violence is committed on a daily basis.

The guy is practically a war criminal and still acts like he is on the verge of redemption. His acts go far beyond criminal. The guy is a killing machine.

The gameplay ruins the tone of the story and doesn't make sense for Marston as a character. It's also badly written and not worth derailing the gameplay for
>>
>>345292070
For one you're way off track. We're talking about the fact that the gameplay follows the story. In that story, Marston is pulled into more and more violent encounters and situations in order to achieve his goals. He doesn't want to, but he really doesn't have much of a choice. So you end up being more violent as you work your way up to more influential people who can get things done for you but want you for the murder machine you've always been.

Also, if you want to criticize the fact that a violent video game is too violent for the story, learn something about the story. The whole point is that he's trying to redeem himself and fails miserably at every turn. He wants to leave this life behind and absolutely can't. He wants a better life for his son who turns out exactly like him because he completely fails to redeem himself. The game play makes perfect sense for the character.

Finally, you're actually complaining that a third person shooter has too many people to shoot at. You do realize that doing so is retarded, right?
>>
>>345292759
If I was reading/watching The Road and the main character was attacked by 30 guys and somehow managed to kill them all by himself I would believe that the character was right in defending himself.

However, that would ruin the tone of the film/book because the idea of a single person killing 30 people by themself in the span of a day is fucking ludicrous and would not fit the tone of story.

Marston killing 50 people a day does not fit the tone of the narrative, ergo, the gameplay doesn't support the story. For a game that seems to reach for a sublte character study it fails in maintaining a tone that isn't on the same level as rambo. Marston really doesn't seem to every question or contemplate the extreme level of violence he performs on a daily basis. It doesn't inform him as a character and a film/novel could manage to tell a story like that without needing to a ridiculous level of violence at every point in the story.
The game is completely over the top while taking itself far too seriously. That's clearly why the gameplay doesn't support the story.

>Finally, you're actually complaining that a third person shooter has too many people to shoot at. You do realize that doing so is retarded, right?

If the game had remotely good gameplay I wouldn't mind but it's a boring, regen health cover shooter with poor level design.

I would like a narrative of an anti-western that was more subtle and contemplative of the violence that is commited (unforgiven/anthony mann's films) that actually works.

or a 3rd person shooter with interesting gameplay

RDR falls in the middle and fails at both.

Also you criticize me for complaining about a TPS prioritizing gameplay over story when the game completely downplays the gameplay for the sake of story in the final hour.
>>
>>345293885
>If the game had remotely good gameplay I wouldn't mind but it's a boring, regen health cover shooter with poor level design.

Once again, great opinion backed up by literally nothing.

>If I was reading/watching The Road

Let's compare a passive medium with an active one! Because a video game about a gunslinger who rarely shoots his gun would be a great game to play. Apples, meet oranges.

And you're still complaining that the story of an action game is ruined because there's too much action. Again, retarded, but you know that and are just grasping at straws and trying to get the last word.

Or you actually believe what you're saying which is much worse.
>>
>>345294316

>Let's compare a passive medium with an active one!

Why not?
>>
>>345294431
That explains literally everything you've said so far.
>>
>>345294316
>And you're still complaining that the story of an action game is ruined because there's too much action.
lol I agree with the OP. the last few levels are fucking boring because the action is completely stopped for story bullshit. My only problem is too little, too late. If the game wanted to be subtle it shouldn't have such ludicrous action at every plot turn

>Once again, great opinion backed up by literally nothing.
I saw no radical gameplay changes that were interesting/different. The gameplay was easy to the point where there were no memorable moments, the entire game was a samey shoot fest with no real challenge

results may vary from person to person.

>Apples, meet oranges.
that describes RDR. It's like the Trufautt quote about war films, except turned up to 11. A contemplative narrative about violence that has a literal superhuman gunslinger as the protagonist
>>
You're all fucking retarded.
>>
>>345295284

Educate us, then.
>>
>>345295361
I just read every post in this thread.

That would be a waste of both my time and yours, friend.
>>
>>345295507

Explain
>>
PC port never
>>
>>345295601
Well, see: >>345295284
>>
>>345295923

Why?
>>
>>345287004
overrated game
>>
I think video games are the only medium where people demand the fun factor be held above the story at all times.

No one complains when a good thriller movie ends with an epilogue scene that doesn't feature murder, and instead wraps up the plot and completes all of the character's arcs. That's because experiencing a good story from beginning to end is fun in and of itself.

It's not Rockstar's fault if people are so devoid of creativity or imagination that anything other than raw gameplay is somehow a detriment to their experience.

Like, shit, I bet people like you would call Chrono Trigger a shitty game because it has dialogue.
>>
>>345287963
Fun is not a word in rockstar's vocabulary
>>
>>345287004
>game locks you into rancher outfit for the final chapter of the game
>literal official explanation given by Rockstar is "that's the intended experience!"

If only I could hogtie whoever made that decision and drag them behind a horse to the railroad track.
>>
File: 1391040516593.jpg (36 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
1391040516593.jpg
36 KB, 353x334
>>345287084
>anything superceding gameplay

Is this that "neo-/v/" I'm always hearing about?
>>
>>345289064
No, you killed John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSPosYP-bDg
>>
There's like five missions once you get your family back and they're all easy and quick and greatly add to the sense of betrayal at the ending.

You faggots will complain about anything.
>>
>>345287151
hello arin hanson
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.