[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why exactly does this section of the game have such a reputation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: blighttown.jpg (216 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
blighttown.jpg
216 KB, 1280x720
Why exactly does this section of the game have such a reputation for being awful? This shit was easy.
>>
Because early versions of the game had that area run at awful shaky fps that were abysmal.
>>
>>345262312
My crap-ass laptop has been running the game at a solid 20 fps the entire time, it hasn't slowed me down. I honestly had more trouble finding the ladders thanks to the damn lighting than I did fighting any enemies the game threw at me.
>>
>>345262538
> solid 20 fps
>>
>>345262538
Not sure if serious
>>
>>345262538

Like I said.

Early versions.

As in, the first launch versions of the game dude, not on pc at all.

Jesus christ almighty.
>>
>>345262825
Was the framerate REALLY that bad? What kind of drops are we talking here, because like I said, it's been shaky for me the entire game. I went into Blighttown expecting something a lot more frustrating than I got. Don't tell me "Sen's Fortress is hard" is a meme too, that's one of the few other locations I know is supposed to be a big wall for players.
>>
>>345262825
>>
>>345263296
literally 8 fps
>>
>>345263296
>Was the framerate REALLY that bad?

Literal slideshow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6K5KtW3W8

This video doesn't even show lower Blighttown, which was where the performance took the worst hit. The upper area was around 11-15fps. The lower area dipped as low as 8fps. It was unplayable.
>>
>>345263296
Sen's has always been very easy, not sure what problem people have with it, usually the biggest wall is Mario & Luigi.
>>
>>345262312
I recently played through DaS1 on PS3, and the framerate was still abysmal.
>>
>starting gift
>master key
>>
File: 1462338128774.png (350 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1462338128774.png
350 KB, 600x450
>>345262538
>solid 20 fps
>>
>>345263816

It was even worse at launch. Think about that.
>>
>narrow ass walkways that move or have the possibility to break if you drop down on them
>absolute garbage lighting that masks everything directly in front of you,
>multiple vertical levels that always seemed to lead to dead ends which meant tons of backtracking
>stupid bonfire placement which made dying while progressing a bitch and a half thanks to the complicated ass layout of upper blighttown
>the poison dart snipers hidden out of view (yet again thanks to the shit lighting) that constantly fire potshots at you

Blighttown sucks not because it's "hard", but because it's tedious and an absolute mess. The swamp is significantly better, mainly because the lighting isn't as fucked and there's actually room to manuver during combat without falling to your death because of some bullshit.
>>
>>345262123
It's an abysmal excuse for a deathswamp level compared to what DeS had.
>>
>>345263632
>unplayable

Well, somehow millions of people made it through. Go figure.
>>
>>345264018
Typical shitter complaints, are the controls too clunky too and thats why you're bad right?
>>
>>345262123
>the performance of a game
>the challenge within a game
These are two different things anon.
>>
>>345262123
initially the framerate would dip hard because the level design of blighttown was way too hard on the pathfinding algos with its billion tiny platforms and levels.

so From pushed a patch that made the pathfinding much simpler, which also made the AI suicidal as fuck. the zone was thus significantly easier as a result.
>>
>>345262538
>Solid 20fps
I can almost guarantee you're a PC master race redditor as well.
>>
>>345264184
>complaining about legitimate faults makes me a shitter

might as well just hand over this (you) that you're working so hard to get
>>
>>345264440
>bringing leddit into this
when are you going to come to terms with the fact that consoles are shitty bogged down x86 machines
>>
>>345263501
Christ. Seeing how /v/ loves to bitch about anything sub-60, I figured it was something like that where little drops were causing such a tremendous uprorar.

>>345263632
360 doesn't seem that bad, I'd probably be tearing my hair out on the PS3 version though. Thankfully I managed to make it all the way down to the swamp without dying, then fell off the wheel a couple times and died once to the hall of toxic dart faggots before I cleaned them all out. Quelaag was easy, I expected to die at least once but just poked her to death. Those little worm fuckers can go to hell though, can't hit them with half my weapons.

>>345263915
PC Gaming is not exactly my thing. I plan to build a rig from scratch after I'm done with uni, I'll come consult /v/ again when it's time so you can mock me some more.
>>
>watch streamer play game
>Goes through blighttown and beats boss and bones home in like 1 min
I never understood the complaints behind the area
>>
>>345264440

See >>345264594
>>
>>345264503
I think you have a valid complaint. people usually bitch about uninterruptible animations and input buffering when they say the controls are "clunky". but if for a game that forces you into the occasional platforming moments, dark souls' movement is inexcusably bad.

I say this as a huge fan
>>
>>345264503
Maybe dark souls is just too tough for you xD
>>
>>345264594
>I'll come consult /v/ again when it's time so you can mock me some more.
do not ask n/v/idia central for PC building advice

/g/ will be more helpful in that regard but it's still a shithole filled with conjecture

your best bet is doing a bit of research yourself.
>>
>>345264814
Sounds like you just suck the big dick hombre, the movement in DS is snappy and precise as fuck
>>
File: 1270650479830.jpg (6 KB, 251x233) Image search: [Google]
1270650479830.jpg
6 KB, 251x233
>>345264269
i guess you mean occlusion culling right ? since pathfind wont affect standing still players only moving cameras, where the right angle will load lot of meshes.
>>
>>345262123
because its so dark and feels like it lasts forever
>>
>>345262123
low framerate on consoles
>>
>>345264585
Not saying that at all anon. I was just alluding to the fact that poorfags are usually the ones to spout the PCMR shit.
>>
>>345264814
that's the gist of what i'm getting at. I understand how the controls work in Dark Souls, and i understand the combat. The problem is that both combat and controls just aren't suited for an area like upper blighttown.

Then you also have maze that is the layout of the area, and the constant risk of falling to your death (which happened to me constantly thanks to some kind of knockback from enemies or a roll that extended a little too far). Those weren't the fault of the controls themselves, but they did play a part in it.

>>345264863
here's another pity (you), don't spend it all in one place kiddo
>>
File: 1455297196954.png (560 KB, 686x572) Image search: [Google]
1455297196954.png
560 KB, 686x572
>>345262123
>poor lighting
>fps issues
>enemies constantly bombarding you
>fucking mosquitos
>enemies with toxin blowdarts
>walkways that feel like bullshit platforming
>swamp that poisons you
>MANDATORY zone

hmm I wonder what people hate about it?

I enjoyed it more on my 2nd and 3rd playthroughs but my first was on xbox and the frames were the biggest issue.
>>
Blighttown was basically the only location in any Soulsborne game where upon entering, I felt compelled to immediately look up how to get through it as fast as possible. It's not fun, has no clear direction, poison, falling, explosions, rocks, all while dealing with framerate issues. Maybe the biggest problem with it is that they tried to put too much in Blighttown.
>>
>>345264961
>pls do not criticize my perfect immaculate vidya
oh fuck off I've beaten every game solo half a dozen times. I think I'm entitled to an opinion

>>345265079
that might be it also. I'm going based on what I read back then. but pathfinding is traditionally CPU-bound and thus a separate issue.

>>345265186
they're better whether you're rich or poor

>>345265226
the easiest way to get through blighttown is to let the NPCs come to you always. those ghouls have huge aggro range and a loud sound cue whenever they spot you.
>>
>>345265226
Sounds like the problem is you're shit and blame the game
>>
>>345265630
i don't really have problems with the enemies, especially since i figured out that kiting works the best about 5 minutes into the area.

but it doesn't work for all the blowdart snipers hanging around
>>
>>345265550
>explosions
Wait, when? I remember the shitty mosquitoes and the chomper dudes up top, and those toxic dart guys were pretty irritating too, but when were the explosions?

>>345265630
>the easiest way to get through blighttown is to let the NPCs come to you always. those ghouls have huge aggro range and a loud sound cue whenever they spot you.
Exactly what I've been doing the whole game, really. Draw the little guys out and then just poke them to death with a big-ass halberd. Should I just take it to +15 or do something like add fire or magic to it instead? I'm pretty much just dumping points into strength and occasionally vitality/dex/resistance to keep things up to speed.
>>
>>345265526
>MANDATORY zone
Only wading through a very short section of poisonous swamp is mandatory, tho
>>
>>345266047
Shit, I may have just confused those with the rock chuckers.
>>
>>345265960
just saying cause if you're getting knocked off of ledges then you're probably not picking smart places to fight at

not going to prevent you from figuring out your own way to clear it though that's all the fun

>>345266047
>Should I just take it to +15 or do something like add fire or magic to it instead? I'm pretty much just dumping points into strength and occasionally vitality/dex/resistance to keep things up to speed.
optimal building is not something that's easy to figure out without looking at the wiki and it might spoil your first playthrough

if you're pumping strength though you'll probably replace the halberd for something bigger at some point
>>
>>345262123

It was hard because Demons's Souls was a niche game and catered to no one.

We weren't a playerbase of self absorbed assholes who pride ourselves at "gitting gud".

When in fact all we do is look up playthroughs and guides and never get stuck just to brag that we beat it.

You're that retard.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.