[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /v/'s thoughts on the Saturn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 16
File: Sega_saturn_2.jpg (101 KB, 790x718) Image search: [Google]
Sega_saturn_2.jpg
101 KB, 790x718
What are /v/'s thoughts on the Saturn?
>>
Pretty good, very underrated. Like the Vita, if you know moonrunes it's fucking incredible. It's a shame collecting for it is such a pain now.
>>
An example of the term, weeb console. Great library of games, but in Japan.

Now that there's a crack and is coming to the public soon, we'll be able to play those expensive games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun without selling an arm and a leg.

Get a Action Replay cartridge for the expansion memory, additional RAM, and disable the region lock.
>>
I just bought one for 50 bucks about a week ago. Still need some games for it. But God damn, it's a struggle. It's gonna be one of those consoles I buy like one game a year on.
>>
>>345258417
Peter Moore screwed America out of JPRGs for the Saturn.
>>
Any "affordable"(like under 60 eagle bucks) decent games to get off the second hand market eBay etc? I'm probably gonna get Nights into dreams for sure, but that's about it
>>
I like a lot of games for the console, though I think retro anons might rate it just a smidge too highly. It lacked in original, non arcade exclusives.

I really enjoy Gungriffon, which is one of the better games on the system. A copy of Wizardry 1-3 just arrived today, so I am looking forward to jumping into it.

That said I really want to buy that new crack that is being developed. I am also tempted to have my unit made into a Rhea, but this wouldn't gut my console out.
>>
An underrated gem.
>>
made a bunch of 3d games, can only handle 2d

and even then couldnt handle sotn without lag

piece of shit

has some rare games, no idea why people pay out the ass for panzer dragoon

shit console, even shittier games
>>
>>345258417
god tier system
>>
File: 1454583699444.jpg (26 KB, 490x404) Image search: [Google]
1454583699444.jpg
26 KB, 490x404
Expensive, over engineered, had great power, but failed because sega sucks at marketing things

Oh and the security finally got cracked which is a nice thing.

Man just wanted some chiptunes and ended p finally cracking the saturn encryption to get em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E
>>
Still have mine. I would have traded it for a PS1 at the time, but I eventually saved up after realizing my mistake. I liked the Saturn for a few games, but it was overall a gigantic failure compared to the PS1.

And no, 5-10 good games people will name ITT does not make a console a good one when its comparison had hundreds that were good
>>
>>345261463
forgot to add

>saturn and playstation release mk games
>need to load every time shang Tsung morphs
>snes and mega drive versions are smooth as fuck

you can't make this shit up
>>
>>345258417
It really deserves a good emulator. SSF has ceased production and no one seems to be picking up where shima left off
>>
>>345258417
bust mine out once a year to play through Dragonforce as Junon

Some guy recently found out how to bypass the security lock on the disk read.

cool video if you want to watch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E
>>
>>345262072
my bad, didnt know someone already posted the video
>>345261598
>>
File: 1407890525247.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1407890525247.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
>>345262182
Keep in mind the Sega Saturn was essentially like the Vita.

Powerful, expensive, protected, and still never got cracked til just recently (Vita still on its way one day).

This man has done a very very large amount of work. I like seeing progress even when it takes so fucking long to make progress because its better than nothing

Oh and Daytona is pretty nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEP-h6cHC0
>>
>>345261113
Essentially you'll want to play Japanese games only; while you need an Action Replay 4-in-1 cart to do so, JPN releases are usually cheaper and typically have all their important stuff in English (NiGHTs, for example, is completely in English on the JPN release).

These are some cheap games I recommend:

Gungriffon
-like I said, really fun mech combat game. Captures the feel of a giant, unwieldy mech very well. Very tough missions later on. Even in Japanese, English is not required, as missions are straightforward (destroy train; protect plane, destroy enemies) - though you can always look at a FAQ just in case. The English version, disc only, can be cheap. The sequel, JPN-only, is supposed to be even better, but I haven't played it.

Soviet Strike
-Very intricate helicopter action game. Large missions with multifaceted parts, and has a real sandbox feel. + Cheesy FMVs during the missions.

Mass Destruction
-Fun tank "destroy everything" game. Large sandbox levels with set targets. Has literal tank-controls. Duh. Is fun, though in small doses (every mission is literally "destroy all of X")

AMOK
-3D third-person shooter. 3D is obviously not great by today's standards, but the game is fun with large levels to explore and things to kill. It's tough, with one life per mission - no respawns.

You might enjoy Silhouette Mirage. I liked the PS1 version, though it has wildly uneven pacing and its polarity system is a little half-baked. It has a lot of personality though with typical Treasure over-the-top presentation. I prefer the PS1 US release, if only so I can more fully understand what's going on (the plot is nothing special!), though the US PS1 release had a significant tweak to the game design that many people hate.

Some other quick cheap (maybe?) games:

Darius Gaiden
Layer Section
Fantasy Zone
Shin Shinobi Den (this game is lol)
Assautl Suit Leynos 2
>>
Shining in the holy ark it's still I'm my top 3 gdr, but yea, like people said if you had it back then you would have trown it in the fire for a ps1.
I got both.
>>
Died by heavy lack of games, same as lynx and (what a suprise) dreamcast. Sega thought it's enought to have good hardware and u r good, same goes to Atari appareantly.

3 consoles which could change a lot, and didn't
matter at all.

I might be wrong here on there, it was like 50 y ago
>>
>>345258417
King of arcade imports, still love my Saturn even though it died a decade ago.
>>
>ywn have a first party 6-face-button pad again
>>
>>345263828
It definitely made it the king of fighting consoles. I had a lot of fun back in college playing Street Fighter Alpha 2, Darkstalkers 2, and Real Bout FF with friends.
>>
>>345258417
I never knew a single person growing up who owned one.
>>
>>345264039
No Virtua Fighter? w-why? You don't like 3D at all?
>>
The pissing match between SOJ and SOA killed the company years before the Dreamcast even came out.

The Saturn is a piece of shit, born out of butthurt Japanese egos. Shoutouts to Yu Suzuki, who tried to warn them just what a bad move they were making.
>>
>>345264231
lol i hated Virtua Fighter 2. Slow, moon-jumps, and a billion different moves that you could never pull off. Virtua On was the better Virtua. Virtua Cop too!

At least the VF engine gave us Dynamite Deka aka Die Hard Arcade. That still had a million moves you couldn't pull off but at least that wasn't the point.
>>
>>345260649
Try to get a mod chip instead.
>>
File: a.jpg (132 KB, 541x435) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
132 KB, 541x435
It had 2 of my favorite childhood games.
>>
>>345263272
>Sega thought it's enought to have good hardware and u r good

isn't this Sony's current mindset?
>>
>>345264447
I wouldn't know, it was like 5 saturns in the entire country (Poland). PSX steamrolled local market without trying. Althought some screens from Saturn looked impressive (VF, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop).
>>
I want one.
>>
>>345264941
Last console which I had was PS2, last that I actually played was n64, I have no idea.
>>
>>345261113
Daytona and Fighters Megamix are both extremely good games that go for cheap.
>>
>>345263272
>saturn
>good hardware
That's the absolute strangest spelling of 'company killing hardware' I've ever seen in my life.
>>
>>345258417
A really weird piece of hardware difficult to program and emulate because of the amount of co-processors. Also was dead on arrival since PS1 completely BTFO the Saturn when it launched. Besides Panzer Dragoon and some Yu Suzuki games, it was pretty mediocre in software.
>>
Looking at it in hindsight? It had a pretty good library...if you imported or had a shop that carried Japanese games + a AR to play them on.

Back then? It had a really shitty library in the US for YEARS, almost every port from another console was garbage, and a lot of shit either got cancelled right out or moved to the Dreamcast. Many places did not carry a good chunk of the games it had, nor even the console for that matter.

I wish SoA and SoJ were not shitheads back then or else it might have actually survived and been decent.
>>
>>345265794
>Also was dead on arrival since PS1 completely BTFO the Saturn when it launched
And because Sega cant market their shit right and essentially said "oh and by the way you can buy it RIGHT NOW"
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>345266207
Dreamcast had its issues (1/2 generation's step ahead only, not too many titles, too), But it had that Zombie shooter with pistols controlers (houes of dead or smthg) and my fav h&s till today (pic related). Plus based Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi (I didn't play the last one, tho).
>>
>>345265078
some aspects of the Saturn's 3D handling allowed it to be better than the PS1, but the confusing architecture made it usually inferior to the PS1.

Virtua Cop games have a very pleasant look to them, probably because its shooting-gallery design limited the effects of pop-up and wobbly polygons.

The Saturn did sprite scaling and rotation far better; anything with 2D is usually handled better with the exception of Symphony of the Night. The PS1 couldn't have pure "2D" games: what you see in 2D games on the PS1 is actually 3D polygons with 2D sprites mapped over them. It sounds confusing.
>>
>>345258417
This isn't actually what happened.

>SOJ cuts SOA out of the Saturn's development because MUH YAMATO DAMASHII
>SOA begins what will eventually be the 32x
>SOJ cobbles together a highly complex parallelized turd
>Even they realize its shit, and internally they push back the launch
>SGI demoes a 3d chip to SOA, unaware of the pissing match between the Americans and Japanese at the time
>SOA is impressed and tries to sell SOJ on using the chip in the alpha 2 saturn
>SOJ tells them it's not good enough, gives them a list of things they want but the chip doesn't have
>SGI works there asses off and creates version 2 of the chip which exceeds what SOJ asked for
>SOJ rejects it anyway because YAMATO DAMASHII
>Yu Suzuki is incredibly impressed by SGI's work, appeals to the CEO directly (cutting in line is a giant nono in Japan) to get the decision reversed
>Yu is told to go suck a dick
>Yu thinks the CEO is being stubborn because the chip was 'not invented here'
>appeals to the CEO directly again, asking that the Saturn use scaled down 3d hardware from AM2, warns that the Saturn is a piece of shit and tells the CEO directly "Polygons are the Future"
>CEO threatens to fire him, Yu gives up
>Meanwhile in America the delays of the Saturn have caused the 32x to evolve from a stopgap to something more expensive than originally envisioned, the product ends up trapped between generations and bombs
>Despite all warnings SOJ continues with their overcomplex ego machine
At this point the story as you fags know it starts, with the "releasing early" and "bad marketing" narratives. In truth, it was dead before arrival.

Fun fact: The SGI chip the SOJ passed on became the gpu for the n64 which should give you a good idea of what it was capable of. SGI thought their time had been wasted, their chain yanked, and they walked right into Nintendo's headquarters in part to get back at Sega.
>>
Meant >>345267662 to reply to >>345266274

The amount of people that don't know this story kind of pisses me off.
>>
>>345259021
Its been modded for awhile. Just throw custom firmware on an action replay and it will play burned games
>>
>>345266781
1 more screen for res and title
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>>345268167
I said screen, u idiot
>>
>>345267769
I mean the playstation was far cheaper, had a focus on 3D instead of 2D and 3D. By that point alone the saturn was irrelevant.

And throw in how finnicky it was with that ram expansion issue where some games needed certain ones.

But in the end Sega fucked themselves. they tried to fix it with the Dreamcast - which was admittedly fucking amazing, but the simple announcement of the PS2 was enough to kill it.

PS2 sucks cock in every way possible. Nobody cares because "muh games" but they also add to why the PS2 is a pain in the ass to work with

if using BC on PS3, you can load shadow of the colossus and changing video settings in that game will override PS3 video settings
>>
>>345268279
Title was Record of Lodoss War, tho. Not Maxresdefault.
>>
Genesis >>> Saturn
>>
File: 1450341829184.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1450341829184.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>>345267769
>>345267662
>Sega gets cocky and MUH NIPPON
>dies
>Nintendo gets cocky and MUH NIPPON
>still alive
>still cocky and MUH NIPPON
I don't want to live in the Berenstain universe anymore.
>>
Decent system. Didn't deserve the fate it received. Killed by the PS1 and N64 when it could have over taken both with brand name with the PS1 and having a CD drive with the N64. All it needed was some JRPGs, namely multiplat Final Fantasy games and some other shit and it would have been viable. Atleast imo.
>>
>>345267662
To be fair, SoJ absolutely hated SoA's advertising campaign, enough so that they would disown them, thinking they aren't a good representation of the company.

PR is crazy.
>>
>>345267662
Sega being succesful in America was a fluke. It's board of directors was literally an old guard of retarded Japanese salarymen. The only guy that actually cared was Hayao Nakayama, who hired Tom Kalinske for SoA and gave him full freedom and resources. The rest of the board was furious because of this, and they would always go against Nakayama and Kalinske ideas.
>>
>>345268639
Because you won't sell more than like 7 consoles in USA and 1 or 2 in Europe, right? So they don't give a shit. thus at the end they actually sell 7 consoles in USA and 1-2 in Europe.
Smart guys
>>
>>345268387
The best Console that gen is objectively the Xbox, because it's essentially the Dreamcast 2.
>>
>>345269048
No it wasn't a fluke. The undermining of SOA's success was entirely deliberate. Control and failure was more important to them than backseat success.
>>
>>345258417

Whoever thought battery-powered save data was a good idea, I hope was drummed out of the industry immediately afterwards.

That was a great example of mishandling.

>keep save data on battery that can and will die
>if remove battery for any reason, saves also gone
>make cartridges that allow for more permanent save solution
>hide the existence of these cartridges, even though their sale would generate more income as sony realized immediately and continues to exploit

WTF sega. WTF.
>>
>>345269168
im inclined to agree but i like the gamecube from the audio and visual standpoint.

the initial proposal for dreamcast GD-R support that dropped (due to no online for them) would have been a fucking fantastic deal.

In the end im just glad we got a lot of the games from it on the other systems.

fuck the PS2 in every fucking way possible, from hardware to software to video output, to audio output. nothing about that console was good aside from being cheap and an easy access DVD player.
>>
>>345269607
Speaking of which..You people from 1st world, could actually play Phantasy Star Online? My wet dreams from back then.
>>
>>345269887
>You people from 1st world, could actually play Phantasy Star Online?
There's private servers still up anon. you can experience it still you know.
>>
>>345269887
I didn't care for it. Too much latency. Stopped playing after my free trial for seganet ran out.
>>
>>345270027
I'm not sure if I wanna. What would I see? Heavily outdated mmo probably. May this dream rest in peace
>>
>>345258417

Great, but damn did SEGA America make some really stupid ass decisions regarding titles. It's like they wanted it to fail from the start.
>>
>>345270754
Reminds me of the vita in america
>>
>>345269887

PSO is still alive. Dated but every now and again I pop it in if to just here the title theme and lobby music.
Quake is also still alive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWHd3qLlSPA
>>
>>345270407

PSO has never really played by generic MMO rules. It's more of a dungeon-diving game - uses the basic nethack/angband formula of basing out of town and porting back and forth, just allowing four-person parties and having quests and storyline to do.

Considering its age, it still looks and plays better than you'd expect, though obviously you can't pretend it's anything new and shiny.
>>
>>345272037
>>345271998
>>345269887

As someone that played Seganet ALOT when it was around, I cry evertime

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_dWalQdIN0
>>
>>345271998
It aged better than I'd think

1 more thing, do I need DC to play it? ( I guess I know the answer, but just in case)
>>
>>345272692

The DC version, yeah. Or the gamecube for episode 2.

PSO came to PC with PSO Blue Burst though, that has all the DC and EP2 content, plus revamps and episode 4, and that's the one that has all the private servers now.

If you just want to play PSO, and don't want the "special console authentic experience", that's the one you want to look into.
>>
>>345261639
After playing cartridge 2d fighters, I couldn't wait to try out marvel super heroes on this 2d monster.

>graphical leap as impressive as a weak fart
>fucking abysmal loading times between fights

You literally couldn't script it. Not until alpha 3 on dreamcast did we finally get no loading times again. Unbelievable.
>>
>>345273140

>PSO came to PC with PSO Blue Burst though

That should do. I'd love to get DC and Lodoss War, but it may be pain in the ass. My place was Sony country from PSX relase to X360 relase.
>>
>>345258651

I know moonrunes, but I've missed most games that were exclusive to Sega systems. At least we've got emulators now so I can catch up on them eventually. Any recommendations?
>>
>>345260816
Is he who we blame about Sakura Wars? Because I'm still mad
>>
>>345274216
PSO2 had Sakura Wars opening playing every now and then a couple weeks ago. Maybe they are preparing for a re-release or something.
>>
>>345274764
1&2 were rereleased on the PSP and I had hopes we'd finally get it since we got that PS2 one. Nope. It was foolish to believe in.

I ended up playing the Saturn versions with a translation FAQ many years ago and really wanted a better experience but it's never happened. The PC version is being translated at a snails pace, maybe in 5 years they'll hit 60%
>>
File: radical city.jpg (78 KB, 704x448) Image search: [Google]
radical city.jpg
78 KB, 704x448
LIVING IN THE CITY
>>
File: 1370409225719.jpg (40 KB, 444x443) Image search: [Google]
1370409225719.jpg
40 KB, 444x443
Let this sink in:
>there are people who think the Wii U's financially safe library of generic sequels is better than the Sega Saturn's library of good first party and decent third party support
>>
File: leynos 2.png (24 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
leynos 2.png
24 KB, 320x224
This here is my fucking jam. Where are the 2D mech run 'n guns?
>>
Hows Saturn emulation nowadays?

Haven't followed since more than a decade ago where it was thought to be pretty much impossible
>>
>>345275638
theres also people that laugh at nintendo in general for the shit they do.

>>345276331
now that we have essentially the whole system cracked open thanks to one person we can improve the emulation a bit more.

right now i believe its passable but not up to par for many
>>
>>345276331
Well. It's decent. You better have a good PC and not a toaster though. Don't bother with Yabause it's sorta shit.

http://www.geocities.jp/mj3kj8o5/ssf/index.html
>>
>>345275638
It's funny, because it's always those people who will turn around and complain about AAA games being generic and having a shitload of sequels.
>>
>>345258417
neat system, the original weeb machine
all the worthwhile US released games that aren't Sega Model 2 ports are fucking expensive
if you're emulating, use SSF and a disc mounter, use Darkwater rips because most Saturn rips on the internet fucking suck and will probably have problems even if run on real hardware

bulk slash is the best game on the machine and one of my favorite games in general (it's also like $60 plus shipping to import last time I checked)
>>
>>345276592
>not a toaster
mate, you can use a Macbook Air to emulate SSF at full speed
shit, I have a relatively slow laptop from 2009 (2GB RAM, some Pentium Dual Core) that plays everything at full speed, at least until it overheats

both on max compatibility settings (remember to crank compatibility all the way up, Guardian Heroes doesn't work otherwise)
>>
File: 1468103619881.jpg (60 KB, 500x417) Image search: [Google]
1468103619881.jpg
60 KB, 500x417
>>345262434
>tfw the video maker even gets the pitches right on the warbles

10/10
>>
>>345276109
that convoy mission was dumb as fuck though
>>
>>345258417
One of the best consoles I've ever own. Fuck I still love my Saturn.
>>
I'm gonna check that emulator of saturn out. If anyone wanna do this too, here's probably everything or most of the neccessary stuff:

>>>>>>/t/725334
>>
I just bought Devil Summoner and Sakura Wars for $19 at an anime con, guess that'll be the beginning of my Saturn library
>>
>>345282112
I thought yabause was shit though
>>
>>345283237
I had no opinion as I'm yet to try. I'll mayby check it out bit more
>>
File: 1326622855138.jpg (78 KB, 639x595) Image search: [Google]
1326622855138.jpg
78 KB, 639x595
>>345261598
>>345262072
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E
Holy shit that's amazing. Been waiting 20 years for this.
>>
>>345268949
To be fair Segata Sanshiro single handedly threw the Saturn to success in Japan. Barring him from entry to the US was one of SoA's biggest mistakes, as was allowing Microsoft's agents to know the location of Sega's headquarters which allowed them to launch a missile attack.
>>
>>345285383
why the fuck did I laugh
>>
File: napoleon dynamite.jpg (66 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
napoleon dynamite.jpg
66 KB, 600x400
>>345285905
Because you found it funny.
Gosh, idiot.
>>
>>345284716
imagine the feeling when the Vita gets cracked 40 from now
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYyztfOc-0

I remember thinking the commercial ripping on Playstation seemed really desperate and at the time it was apparent the Saturn wouldn't last.
>>
>>345258417
A true gaming console.
>>
>>345286931
Watching the tailend of the Scream marketing is pretty universally sad.
>>
>>345264709
My nigga. Dragon Force is one my all time favorite games.
>>
>>345258417

Expensive to collect.
>>
>>345258417
Cute.
>>
File: 2088542.jpg (17 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
2088542.jpg
17 KB, 240x320
>>345286575
>when the Vita gets cracked 40 from now
>when the Vita gets cracked
>the Vita gets cracked
>Vita gets cracked
>Vita
I'll wait as long as it takes.
>>
File: saturn (2).jpg (666 KB, 3046x1840) Image search: [Google]
saturn (2).jpg
666 KB, 3046x1840
Love it.
>>
>>345260816
No you mean Stolar.

Moore fucked the Dreamcast.
>>
>>345289974
We can dream buddy... We can dream...
Bought myself a Blackfin for some tests and dumps, so buy yourself one and have a vita on 3.57 or lower as it's the best option we have for now.
>>
>>345258417
I wish I still had one cause its very hard to emulate and I never finished panzer dragoon zwei and a bunch of other stuff.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.