[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deep Sea Thread: Vidya Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: Model.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Model.png
1 MB, 1024x768
Who's hype for Narcosis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izY4sktOxOQ
>>
Is this Soma 2?
>>
File: 164_1hammerheadkites.jpg (403 KB, 1800x1211) Image search: [Google]
164_1hammerheadkites.jpg
403 KB, 1800x1211
>deep sea horror

what gets me about the open sea is how vast it is, not how horrid the creatures appear

It gives the idea of how incredibly small you are and how massive other things could be
>>
File: 1221788404047.jpg (80 KB, 1280x634) Image search: [Google]
1221788404047.jpg
80 KB, 1280x634
>>345255807
>there will never be a game about being in a deep underwater facility finding a way to escape from a giant sea monster
>>
>>345256524
Well the issue is what is the game-play?
Is it a scripted first-person corridor-survival game (eg: SOMA)?
could it be a multiplayer game (eg: Depth)? How would you survive a giant sea monster?

I liked the idea that you have three coop players (Captain, Security, Engineer) who dive to the ocean to recover/mine things. The captain chooses where to go and can see "danger-zones" where certain size sea-monster may dwell. Security Is in charge of keeping large fish/small monster off the ship/crew during mining/recovery (turrets or small dive vessels with firepower he could command). Engineer repairs the hull, commands the miners and fixes dive ships/escape pods.
>>
>>345257286
So the captain could go to a high risk zone to mine high-value loot (the miners would have to leave the ship to get to it, the engineer could go with to speed up the process) and risk killing his crew.

I even thought you could use the Pacific Rim category system to figure out how dangerous each sea monster is.
>category 0: small sharks, large non-predatory fish
>category 1: large sharks, large predatory fish
>category 2: largest known predatory fish, small monsters
>category 3: mythological monsters (how large you would expect a sea monster to be based on folk tale)
At this point you can no longer hope to fight these creatures and must flee if you encounter them
>Category 4: largest aggressive monsters you would expect (think Kraken / Charybdis)
>Category 5: Largest possible monsters that would probably be more an environmental hazard than a personal one

I've thought way too much about this while at work
>>
>>345257286

SS13 is a good framework for it. Give each role a task but throw in round-based objectives like traitors, floods, sea monster attacks, Cthulhu cults and so on.

Barotrauma is a good attempt but way too simplistic right now.
>>
File: imagine if you were a human.png (47 KB, 901x211) Image search: [Google]
imagine if you were a human.png
47 KB, 901x211
>>345258319
>mfw category 5 includes another human
>>
>>345259194
See, to me there is nothing more horrifying about the abyss of the open ocean than the loss of the sense of scale you suffer

imagine a normal object in front of you. put it really close to your face and it seems huge but you know better than to think it is. now imagine it is just as huge to you, but far away and obscured mostly in the darkness

now make the object something unsettling (a maw, a creep face, staring bright eyes) and I can no longer deal.
imagine such a horror on VR

If you want to see some fucking with scale you can check this tech-demo out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEBEQhwG-rU
>>
File: 1441830479840.jpg (84 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441830479840.jpg
84 KB, 1920x1080
good discussion going on, don't let the thread die
>>
>>345260335
>That video
That's pretty neat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.