[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to revive Mega Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: 3091816-9257535026-mega-[1].jpg (634 KB, 1200x1506) Image search: [Google]
3091816-9257535026-mega-[1].jpg
634 KB, 1200x1506
>darker cyber punk style of X
>X style designs
>Robot Masters from Classic series
>third person action-shooter with dashing
>combat and gameplay feel link Vanquish with a bit of Legends
>dashing works like rolling in Dark Souls (time dash carefully to avoid attacks)
>Rebooted story
>over arching storyline that is not just "Dr. Wily" or Sigma is the bad guy again every game
>Continuity and things happen
>Story is a mashup of classic, X series, including characters
>trilogy of games with beginning, middle, end

Done. Very simple.
>>
>>345231487
>>darker cyber punk style of X
Why do you enjoy posting random nonsense?
>>
>>345231487
>third person action-shooter
>flashbacks to X7
>make them stop
>>
You need to learn to let go. Megaman is dead, Inafune is the murderer.
>>

Not even going to try to sneak it in there.
>>
File: Retro studio's Megaman X design.jpg (138 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Retro studio's Megaman X design.jpg
138 KB, 600x900
>>345231487
>>darker cyber punk style of X
>>
>>345231940
He looks way to edgy in that design. Make it silver with blue energy and it would look better.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>345231754

Never played X7. I was just looking at Mega Man Legends, and thinking that these games are almost good. Then I was thinking combat ideas from Vanquish and Dark Souls and other games I'd take.

Imagine Mega Man facing off against a large robot in a boss fight. Imagine the Iron Golem boss from Dark Souls. Now make it Mega Man is fighting him. Just imagine the robot making attacks and you having to dodge. I think it could work. And you have to time your dodges really well.

>>345231815

That's not how companies treat IPs. They milk them forever. They die for a bit, but after a few years they will try to bring them back. It's only after repeated failures to revive it that they let it die for good. We are getting a new Mega man in a few years. Just depends on how it's done.
>>
>>345231561

He's right

The perfect x game would be open world

Gritty. During the elf wars. Humans dying and getting splattered by mavericks/reploids who just think they're superior. Being dropped into war zones from Bee Bladers and the like.

They can tackle a lot of issues from that angle. Sort of like crackdown with wall jumping and crazy shit. Maybe toss in actual quests and maverick cop shit too.
>>
>>345231561

Each series takes cues from anine. Original series is 60's style Osamu Tezuka.

X series takes after 80's Cyberpunk anime. The colors, character designs, darker more serious storylines, all take after Cyberpunk OVA, Film, manga from that era. It was an intentional attempt to update the series to the tastes of the time.
>>
>>345232389
>open world
I hate this meme.
>>
>>345232424
It's like the difference between old sanic and new sanic, and it's fucking disgusting.
>>
File: rebuilding_megaman.jpg (529 KB, 800x2950) Image search: [Google]
rebuilding_megaman.jpg
529 KB, 800x2950
>>345231487
>make it Mario

Where's my Powered Up 2-10?
>>
>>345232479

Yea I'm sure another on rails shitty side scroller will be a top hit.

Look at the top selling critically acclaimed games. All open world for the most part. GTA, witcher, fallout, etc etc

You can do a lot with the x series in that format especially if it's cyber punk and since the elf wars have not been covered. it's perfect and it's never ever gonna happen.
>>
>>345232723
Sure, because open world games are so much better and a perfect fit for a side-scroller franchise to continue. The only series I see working with your idea is mega man legends, and that's an entirely different subject.
Or maybe something akin to metroidvania, but I think they already tried that with the zero games.
>>
>>345232642

That's perfectly valid as well.

Oh and, antoher thing: Capcom made WAY too many god damn Mega Man games. There were multiple games coming out per year. I think they should limit themselves to just one MM game per year.
>>
>>345232389
>The perfect x game would be *semi-linear
fixed
>>
>>345232973

The side-scroller franchise is done. You can still do open world with dashing, charged shots, the usual shit. Like you said MML is another one they can take from.

In any case if they ever do come back with another x game, making it hub based like mgs v can also work as well.
>>
>>345231487
>How to revive mega man
>Actually make a game

WOW
>>
File: 1468517278485.png (213 KB, 326x243) Image search: [Google]
1468517278485.png
213 KB, 326x243
>darker cyber...

Fuck yes anon nice sta-
>punk

FUCK. THE NEXT WORD WAS ELF, IT WAS ELF YOU FUCKWIT.
>>
>>345231487
The designs of the X series were atrocious outside of Maverick Hunter X and maybe Command Mission.

Characters shouldn't be 50.% cancle.
>>
>>345232389

Left out let a human fall in love with a robot and some other shit.

Maybe alia, layer and palette come back for the waifufags.

I wonder how a x game would do in this day and age.

I mean there are STARVED megaman fans out there but how many are there really
>>
>>345233348

I have no idea what Elves are, or the storyline of Zero. It just seems so stupid. I played a few of them too.

Why the fuck are there Elves in fucking Mega Man? That's so stupid.
>>
>>345232723
Megaman Legends was trash and it shat the bed and failed for a reason.
Let that shit go.
>>
>>345233850

Whatever fagbag

Least I still have Mega Man X: Corrupted
>>
>>345232389
>During the elf wars. Humans dying and getting splattered by mavericks/reploids who just think they're superior
Okay I know the Elf War is the lamest, dullest, and worst fucking thing to ever be introduced into a Mega Man game plot. But you can't just transpose your own fanfiction in and not think anyone would notice.
>>
>>345232642
Where's my Super Mega Man Maker?
>>
>>345235046
It got cancelled when Inafune was too impatient to let it be developed, and tried to force it out the door so fast everyone hated the play demo
>>
>>345233681
muh sigma virus cure
>>
>>345235173
Well then just do it again, but with 8-bit assets.
>>
I know people do not care much for the later installments of the X series, but I really want my fucking sequel to X8. How can leave the story on such a fucking cliffhanger. Drives me nuts.
>>
>>345231487
>dashing works like rolling in Dark Souls (time dash carefully to avoid attacks)
Absolute fucking cancer which removes all positioning from the equation and makes the combat into a shitty timing game. The only ways it'd be acceptable is if it worked like it used to where you can dash under high attacks.
>>
Megaman Zero was a good series
>>
>>345233228
>The side-scroller franchise is done.
Mega man is a sidescroller franchise. Do anything else and it's no longer megaman.
>>
>>345235704

X9 done in the style of X1-3 would be great. It's such an obvious idea I have no idea why they didn't do it after MM9.
>>
>>345235762
I suppose Soccer is side-scrolling?
>>
>>345235809

I figured that's what Capcom was going to do since they said the sales for MM9 and MM10 were better than they anticipated. Then again, it's Capcom so I guess my wait will continue.
>>
File: X going the wrong way.png (145 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
X going the wrong way.png
145 KB, 500x345
>>345236043
>>345235809
I'm not entirely sure Capcom appreciates the SNES games as a pinnacle of the franchise like 2 was for the Classic games.

X4 and the PS1 titles was the basis for all of the future franchises. With rankings and the saber fighting, and fairly reduced mobility compared to the SNES games.
>>
>>345231487
>How to revive Mega Man
Don't. There's already 10 Mega Man games. Most game franchises aren't lucky enough to half that many games, and that's not including spin-offs.
>>
>>345231487
Just make another 16-bit megaman x is all they have to do.
>>
>>345237234
I'd say this. Just go back and replay some if you want Mega Man.
>>
>>345235762

I guess metroid prime isn't a metriod game?
>>
>>345231487

Why do you Dark Souls fags have to ruin everything?
>>
>>345231561
This.

Shit, that was MMZ, and it was trash.
>>
>>345231487
>darker

You couldn't even make it 1 word in without fucking up.
>>
>>345239424

Classic series is a 60's anime. Child like designs, but still sense of danger and adventure.

X series is a darker, more serious game, and it's reflected in its world and art style.
>>
>>345239424

Edgy sells. You think people will buy shit with another round of animal bosses with names like guillotine gorilla and cuck duck?
>>
>>345239045
or Uprising isn't a Kid Icarus game
or Guard isn't a Star Fox game
>>
>>345239572
It's world? You mean with the penguin that runs a cooling system for a smelting factory, who's absence somehow causes the freezing of molten steel?
>>
>>345235762
>MMBN/Star Force
>>
>>345239861

I HATED the Animal named bosses for the X series.

The classic series had a better idea of themed bosses.

New series should have them go with theme, but give them proper names. Gemini instead of Gemini-man.
>>
>>345240047

Are you trying to argue that the X series is not a more darker serious take on the mega man formula? The color palette alone is darker, and implies a grittier more serious world. MM was originally a boy-robot, now he's clearly an adult. X was clearly aiming for teens, while MM aimed for children.
>>
>>345240098
But anon! Then we wouldn't have such awesome names like Metal Shark Player and Duff McWhalen!
>>
>>345240098

Or just make them like vile and make some of them look like monstrosities in general. A world full of reploids and tech and they constantly threw animal gimmick reploids at us with puns + sigma
>>
>>345240098
I kind of liked the animals in the first X, but having animals would make a Battle Network style re-imagining terrible.
>>
>>345233287
>>Actually make a game
Let's not get crazy anon
>>
>>345239389
MMX was not dark cyberpunk
It was cyberpunk and new age tech with a full on hopefull shounen story archetecture.

Zero and retconning in the elf bullshit was where they went full DARK FUTURE.
>>
>darker style
God no, that's what ruined shit with edgy megaman x
>x style designs
fuck off
>classic masters
so shit like cut man? doesn't that contradict your new gritty style?
>vanquish combat
no
>dark rolls
no
>rebooted story
maybe, the whole Dr wily shit got silly
>over arching story that isn't dr wily or sigma
yes
>continuity
maybe
>mix of x and classic
x is shit and killed megaman
>trilogy games
wouldn't work, things should be resolved within the game

I think you're misunderstanding, it's a cute kids game with fun combat and simple designs, it should play out like a cartoon
>>
I'm on board if you can fuck Roll.
>>
>>345240234
>Are you trying to argue that the X series is not a more darker serious take on the mega man formula?
Probably. At least arguing the impotence of it.

>The color palette alone is darker, and implies a grittier more serious world.
Yes during the intro stages. Then they yo-yo'd up to pinks and oranges. Added White, Red, And Yellow to X's armors and for the first three games break to show the world. I can't see how Wily making all his shit into Skulls is devoid of a threat, where a glow-in-the-dark technocolor monkey was serious and deadly.

>MM was originally a boy-robot, now he's clearly an adult.
Maybe after 4 years and X4 was out. But how in the top 8 levels of Hell was it supposed to be apparent X was an adult in the SNES games? He's shorter than every other reploid in the game.

Without the purely textual evidence of the Light's prologue and X's monologues they'd be basically the same as the prior Mega Man games. Only with less depiction of violence because we don't see mavericks launching explosions through cities every time Sigma starts his shit up.
>>
>>345240098
I just wanted to see one game, ONE GAME where the animal component for the bosses was the key to their weakness rather than their elements.

Be it a food chain or just aggregating in size with the elephant being beat by the mouse.
>>
>>345242201
Each new robot master power would have to be accompianied by an animal look that reminded the players of their robot master.

That's WAY too much work for capcom.
>>
>>345241902
I'm not him, but the X series is more mature than the original series. It's not grimdark like OP is saying, but there's still things like a story about a war, or your friend sacrificing himself onscreen. It's still aimed at children, but at slightly older children.
>>
>>345243135

I think it's meant for the fans of the original games, who grew up and are now 12+
>>
>>345243224
Yes, I agree.
>>
>>345231487
the most acceptable closest we can get to that is Zero setting, more specifically the Elf War itself
>>
File: Ballade.jpg (115 KB, 471x707) Image search: [Google]
Ballade.jpg
115 KB, 471x707
>>345243135
You see that shit happen in the classic series too.

I mean, not the war part but the X games maddeningly follow the Classic formula. So yes ignoring that a zanny criminal scheme and a war involve the exact same number of players, the boss rush segment not to mention Sigma's continuity doesn't lend to the suggestion of finality.
>>
>>345243521
Fuck the elf war and fuck zero.
The entire series hit the shitter when it started getting super dark. X4 was as dark as it should have gotten.
>>
>>345243587
What?
>>
>>345242898
Or, here's an option they could consider: They could just name the weapons after the animal component.
>>
File: Angry Moth Startup Noises.jpg (139 KB, 400x511) Image search: [Google]
Angry Moth Startup Noises.jpg
139 KB, 400x511
>>345231487
>reboot
>cyber punk
>REBOOT
>trilogy
>REBOOOOOOT

Wouldn't work. X is not dark enough a character to work in a cyberpunk setting, and there's way too much cool lore collected over the years to make a reboot acceptable. We have already seen flashes of what it'd be like with Maverick Hunter, and it is not good.

Besides, the very point of wanting more Mega Man games is that there haven't been many action platformers comparable to it in recent memory.
>>
>>345243956
You didn't like Maverick Hunter X?
>>
>>345243135
I don't know how people can think that the X series is "edgy", is just the classic series that's too childish in art direction and story.
I adimit that the Zero series is more edgy/extreme at momments but I still really like these games (excluding the first one, the story is nice but the gameplay is bad compared to later ones).

The X series is the most balanced one between setting and gameplay, if they were to revive Megaman I think that something like that would be the best choice.
>>
>>345231487
so you mean exactly what the cancelled cyber elf wars game was? except with retarded ideas like classic mm bosses and the original art style even though it is stupid to use in a game not from the same mm series
>>
Mega man x is already reborn. The game is called Furi and its relatively new
>>
>>345244172
I don't think the X series is edgy, but I can kind of see how people might claim that it is? A lot of people die in X4 and X5.
>>
>>345243771
They already did that.

I'm stating that having the classic formula change to include what animal can beat what animal on top of what power can beat what power would be too confusing and it would almost demand a visual cue for the players to remember it easily.

A simple color change will not be enough.
>>
>>345244192
>cancelled cyber elf wars game was
MMO wasn't the Elf War. MMO was just the NGR's time to contribute instead of detract.
>>
>>345243956
>MMX
>Cool lore
>The lore and capcom being greedy faggots and inafune being a galloping buffoon and conman not being the thing that ultimately killed the series
>>
>>345243659
I don't have any opinion about tone. I liked that the Zero series didn't exist on a treadmill that kept going over the same 3 beats in every game.

But the Elf War was the laziest shit ever. It was a halfassed retcon to explain how further X games happened. Which was then itself retconned to justify Omega being the 'real zero' which came out of nowhere and only contributed to revealing the war contained the dumbest series of decisions ever only to facilitate the matchups in the Zero series.
>>
File: Dr. Light.png (94 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Light.png
94 KB, 600x600
>>345244108
I cannot speak for the quality of the gameplay itself, because I haven't played it yet. It does seem quite enjoyable though, and I need to try it sometimes. That said, I have read up on its changes for the rebooted story, and it shows exactly what kind of lower quality writing it'd have compared to the base series.

In the current X games, X is submitted by Dr. Light to a battery of decades-long morality testing for the sake of making sure it doesn't come out of its capsule a rampaging, unfettered maniac, since it is not only immensely powerful, but the first robot not shackled to the laws of robotics. In Maverick Hunter, Dr. Light does it because "the world is not ready for a free-willed robot!", which is a far worse motivation overall.

That's what a reboot would do, wash away all incidental pieces of cool writing that make the Mega Man setting so cool and have been fueling discussion for all these years. And it is completely unecessary.
>>
File: 1267081028757.jpg (136 KB, 642x1082) Image search: [Google]
1267081028757.jpg
136 KB, 642x1082
Make gameplay fast and fluid like MN9 but more challenging, with some extra movement options.
>>
>>345245009
>Make gameplay fast and fluid like MN9

What? Literally nothing about MN9 is truly fast, it only feels artificially fast because of the shitty dash mechanics and crappy enemy movement.
>>
>>345245119
No, you're wrong. It has more to do with "overpowered" weapons designed to make rushing through the level a breeze.
>>
>>345244342
>They already did that.
When has more than a single weapon each game in the X series included the name of the animal you obtained it from? I can only think of Chameleon Sting and Firefly Laser.

>I'm stating that having the classic formula change to include what animal can beat what animal on top of what power can beat what power would be too confusing and it would almost demand a visual cue for the players to remember it easily.
You mean like some kind of icon at the bottom of the energy bar?
>>
>>345244525
>retcon retcon retcon
Eh, I don't see any problems with the war, just a period of time were shit happened in the world and it explained certains things between the two series, I didn't got this retcon feel.
>>
>>345245923
what's wrong with a retcon? the story is retarded at this point when you factor dr wily literally taking over the world like 10 times
>>
>>345246293
Because a rebooted story would still be retarded, just way blander. And considering each subseries works mostly isolated from one another or even from other games within its own era, it's not like you need an extensive knowledge of the franchise's lore to enjoy new releases [well, Zero and ZX being exceptions on that].

That's the main mistake people commit, assuming that a reboot immediately means the writing that'll fill in the newly created blanks is better than what was left behind
>>
>>345246293
>explained certains things between the two series
It did, but it did so barely. It was vague, and it was the laziest direct to plot service kind of retcon possible.
>Yeah the Elf War was an unspecified amount of time ago and that's why X isn't around. Also afterwards we made the perpetrator immortal and set him free, and then sent the weapon which by itself nearly caused the end of the world to drift in space on what appears to be Earth's only spaceship.

>>345245923
Nothing if the retcon is necessary or comes with an idea that does advance the plot. But the Elf War story exists only to justify, not explain anything. At its root; it's just jarring to me that Weil was the mastermind behind the war, and Omega was the apocalyptic weapon through which most reploids were being brainwashed, and the key to converting the Mother Elf into the Dark Elf which made the process possible. However it's called the Elf War because the idea for Omega, and for the mirror match twist wasn't thought of in Zero 2.
>>
>>345231487
no cyberpunk is really gay
>>
>>345231487
(you)
>>
>>345240080

That's a bad example since MMBN is nothing like MM, it just wears its skin.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.