[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you had to play one of these, which would you choose? >Silent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15
File: MissingPicture.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MissingPicture.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
If you had to play one of these, which would you choose?

>Silent Hill: Homcoming
>Silent Hill: Downpour
>>
Downpour, because it's actually not a bad game.
>>
Even with all its technical issues, shit story, and Korn, I enjoyed Downpour more than Homecoming.
>>
>>345211565
Downpour because i don't have to be reminded it's supposed to be Silent Hill aside from the name, of course.

I can play Downpour and not even notice it's a Silent Hill game.
>>
Don't listen to all these Downpour homos. Homecoming sucks but its not as awful as DP with its two enemies through the whole game.
>>
>>345211565
Homecoming, because it's actually playable.

>>345211916
Is horribly wrong.
DP is THE worst fucking attempt to make a "SH game" AND a game in a looong while. It's simply broken as fuck.
>>
>>345213083
I'd rather fight boring, repetitive monsters with shit combat than endure the offensively bad dog shit shlock that is Homecoming.
>>
File: Downpour quality.png (257 KB, 763x435) Image search: [Google]
Downpour quality.png
257 KB, 763x435
>>345213527
but DP was FAR bigger dog-shit than HC ever even tried to be. Not only does it literally have no plot, but it also is literally broken and buggy as fuck tech-wise. It doesn't even have Akira Yamaoka soundtrack, ffs!
>>
>>345211565
Homocoming, because Downpoor has zero salvaging elements whatsoever. The TP's review film was spot on, and did not even state all the issues I had with it myself.
>>
File: 1459516919180s.jpg (2 KB, 118x125) Image search: [Google]
1459516919180s.jpg
2 KB, 118x125
>>345211565
>go get this to get that...the game
REEEEEE
>>
>>345211565

Downpour, no question.

Downpour is a highly flawed Silent Hill game. Homecoming isn't a Silent Hill game at all.
>>
>tips on the loading screen
>rolling like a faggot
>health bar like a baby
>pyramid head just because
Fuck Silent Hill The Movie The Game.
>>
>>345214703
you got those wrong way around, sonny.
>>
File: 1461778682492.jpg (20 KB, 408x446) Image search: [Google]
1461778682492.jpg
20 KB, 408x446
>>345211565

Are we really going to argue which shit is less shittier than the other?
>>
>>345218191
YES
>>
>>345218191
Downpourfags need their daily fix. It's like when Gamecube fanboys start shitting on the Xbox. If you can't beat the champion(SH 1-3 and PS2) then at least guarantee the 2nd place.
>>
Downpour has some really fun and immersive exploration, with some really well designed and interesting locations.The Easter eggs and side-quests are neat too, but that's about it.
Homecoming has a great OST, and a lot of the enemies and bosses are also pretty horrifying. Homecoming is definitely far scarier than downpour.

Both games have the same shitty SH2-ripoff style storyline, however downpour's story changes depending on the ending which makes things confusing.

I played both on release, I felt less disappointed by downpour but that was likely because I expected much less. If I had to choose between the two, I think i'd opt for Downpour.
>>
>>345219121
4 is 2nd place. The psp one 3rd.
>>
>>345220907
Origins would have been legitimately great if it had focused solely on Travis. His story was legitimately great. The shoehorned Alessa prequel garbage weighed it down like a pair of concrete shoes.
>>
I've played through 1-4. Are any of the other Silent Hills worth playing through that sort of follow the same formula?
>>
>>345219850

>Homecoming
>SH2 spin off

It had shitty cults, it was an SH3 spin kff
>>
>>345211565
If Downpour weren't a glitchy mess I'd do with that. But it is, so I'd say Homecoming. It wasn't a bad game, just a very uninspired one. It had better combat, atmosphere, music, and monster designs than Downpour, but the pacing is shit (way too much fighting). Still, it doesn't run like shit so I'd take it over Downpour any day.
>>
>>345223091
If you're truly starving for more Silent Hill, try origins for the reasons listed in >>345222974.

60% of the game is great, 40% is trash.
>>
File: upsetperson.gif (3 MB, 300x233) Image search: [Google]
upsetperson.gif
3 MB, 300x233
>Playing Silent Hill Homecoming
>Enjoying it
>Reach that sliding tile puzzle that doesn't reset after you close the puzzle screen
>Realize that you can fuck the puzzle up so much that it's all but unsolvable.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put that puzzle in the game? Pure cancer.
>>
>>345220907
Shattered Memories is infinitely better than 4.
>>
>>345211565
Downpour
>>
>>345211565
Actually two good games. Probably Downpour cause Homecoming have too much fight for a "survival silent hill style"
>>
File: med_gallery_3_3_85471.jpg (141 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
med_gallery_3_3_85471.jpg
141 KB, 640x359
Downpour might have been shit but the worldbuilding was great. Every room had such a unique set of assets and architecture that that it was just too comfy. The mannequins were sexy too.

The problem was that every area that wasn't the town, the caves, or the forest was hideous, tedious garbage. Nonsense puzzles everywhere, retarded side quests getting forced on you (the screamer dispatch made the town a chore to explore,) needing tools to access parts of the map when there's a finite number of tools and you can lose them easily, glowing fucking number clues everywhere, just fuck off with that shit Tomm Hulett. The main boss is a fat dude in a gas mask, the enemies are all just people with bandages or gimp suits... Fucking hell, Konami is dumb as fuck for letting Unironically The Biggest Silent Hill Fan Ever touch the series.

And slides, fucking slides like in Mario 64. At least it's not Homecoming... Homecoming had zero comfy factor.
>>
>>345226179
>fucking slides like in Mario 64

Man, the chase sequences and sliding parts were possibly some of the worst things i've experienced in a video game, they weren't hard or anything, but completely broke the immersion and little atmosphere the game had.

Imagine you're exploring the hospital as James or Harry, suddenly a fucking blackhole and then a chase sequence. It just doesn't fit SH at all.
>>
Downpour. I can't believe people pick Homecoming over it. Granted neither are as good as the Team Silent ones, but at least Downpour seemed to be trying. My only gripe with Downpour is that there weren't really any bosses outside the final section.
>>
>>345226179
Why the fuck would you want "comfy" in a Silent Hill game?
>>
File: le bloody fence man.png (492 KB, 941x768) Image search: [Google]
le bloody fence man.png
492 KB, 941x768
Homecoming because I haven't played it.
>>
>>345211565
Downpour definitely, Homecoming sucks ass
>>
Downpour, I like the side quest and the town and I didn't hate Murph

Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game is by leaps and bounds my least favorite SH game and just games in general
>>
>>345223619
this
>>
>>345227072
Hilariously bad enemy designs, terrible music, awful graphics, constant screen tearing, framerate drops to the low teens, glitches everywhere, the worst combat the series has ever seen, no scares, the worst story of a mainline game, and long load times. Downpour was atrocious.
>>
Silent Hill is my favorite series. Does anyone else replay them once a year?
>>
>>345227524
>combat
better than Homecoming
>enemy designs
it's at least trying something new
>awful graphics
better than homecoming
>constant screen tearing
u wot?
>framerate drops
u wot?
>glitches everywhere
u wot?
>no scares
homecoming didn't have any either
>the worst story
not much different from Homecoming
>long load times
u wot?

Downpour was okay, imo it's

3>2>1>SM>Origins>4>DP>HC
>>
>>345227752
Sometimes i turn on my console just roam around Silent Hill for a while.
>>
>>345228293
Sometimes I turn on my playstation and go to the Game Results screen to listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u1kTM3wE8
>>
>>345211565
Tough one. I can hear arguments that Downpour is better because it is so far removed from the core series in narrative and game-play that it doesn't feel like it besmirching the good name of Silent Hill. Likewise, I actually completed and didn't entirely hate Homecoming--being a big Jacob's Ladder fan helped me get through it.

Really, both aren't great. Homecoming is more "silent hill-y" in the same sense a drunken karoake performance of Stairway to Heaven is more "Robert Plant" than nothing. Downpour seemed like a more modern survival horror game---in the sense that it was not scary and you had too much ability in combat.
>>
>>345227909
>combat
>better than Homecoming
This is the biggest fucking lie ever told. The combat in Downpour is a clunky mess that doesn't work half the time. It makes SH1-3 look like Ninja Gaiden. Homecoming's combat was far better. Almost too good, in fact, because it made enemies too easy to dispatch.

>it's at least trying something new
What a limp-wristed defense. If they were trying to look like C-tier Mortal Kombat characters then I guess they succeeded. The designs were generic as fuck and extremely amateurish.

>graphics
>better than homecoming
Another lie. Homecoming had better character models, better environments, better lighting, better effects, better textures. Oh and it didn't run like shit.

>u wot?
>u wot?
>u wot?
>i-it works on my machine
Again, you're full of shit. I played Downpour on both 360 and PS3 and while the 360 version runs a bit smoother, it's still a broken mess.

>homecoming didn't have any either
Homecoming didn't have any jump scares, but it did have atmosphere and more importantly tension. The apartments, the church, the graveyard, and Hell descent or whatever it was called were oozing with tension. Other than the caves Downpour was bland and boring.

>story
>not much different from Homecoming
Outside of having a similar twist the stories were fairly different.

>long load times
>u wot?
You pretending the game's fuckton of technical problems don't exist isn't going to make it true. The game ran like shit regardless of platform and the load times were ridiculously long.
>>
>>345229354
>i-it doesn't work on my machine
Get fucked then, played the PS3 version and i have no complaints whatsoever, graphics were good, there were no bugs that i personally encountered and no frame drops either, in fact i think it ran really smooth
>clunky mess that doesn't work half the time
get good retard, jesus
>limp wristed defense
of course, we must praise devs who simply copied and pasted shit over, over the devs who actually tried something with moderate success, thanks for enlighting me anon
>atmosphere
oh i am laffin
Downpour had much better atmosphere and was way more eerie
Homecoming was just "huh le spooky place le church huuuurrrr"
>fairly different
i mean, in terms of quality, both were shit, but at least Downpour had me care, somehow, but that's more up to personal preferences
>pretend like no technical problems
more like, it's you pretending there were technical problems when there actually weren't and literally making shit up to defend an almost objectively worse game on a chink drawing arts forum. Grow up.
>>
>>345223091
Shattered Memories
>>
>>345230008
http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/silent-hill-downpour-and-hd-collection-technical-gaffes-frustrating-owners/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997930-silent-hill-downpour/62528828

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895397&page=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amu1h8JwVxY
I see tons of threads on the web about Downpour technical issues
>>
>>345230549
you can find that about any game autist
>>
>>345211565
homecoming, because it's actually fun. downpour has a story, but very little to offer in the way of gameplay.
>>
>>345230636
People bitching on the Internet about a game, sure. That video proof of chuggy sub 30FPS gameplay? Nah, senpai. That's just a poorly optimized game.

Not the anon you started your slapfest with btw. I think both of these westernized SH games are pretty bad--but Downpour was worse from a technical angle.
>>
File: 1450070920226.jpg (161 KB, 820x820) Image search: [Google]
1450070920226.jpg
161 KB, 820x820
>>345227524

Take a deep breath, you might have a heart attack. I played the patched version of Downpour on PS3 and the only technical hurdle I experienced longer than expected load times in 2 locations that are chokepoints for streaming one part of the town to the other.

No one is saying Downpour is the best of the franchise, but it is a step in the right direction and wasn't offensively bad. It deserves its spot in the franchise FAR more than the PSP Silent Hill, Shattered Memories, and Homecoming.

If Downpour had been given like 3 extra months of dev time they could have definitely improved the enemy variety and load checkpoint system. It's very disappointing because if they were just given that stretch of air Downpour could have hit high grounds.

Still a game I'd recommend to anyone who wants more Silent Hill after finishing the first 4 games.
>>
>>345230008
>of course, we must praise devs who simply copied and pasted shit over, over the devs who actually tried something with moderate success, thanks for enlighting me anon
The amount of "copy and pasted" designs is less than the number of new ones. Homecoming had Siam, Schism, Lurker, Needler, Sepulcher, Scarlet, Asphyxia, and Amnion. All were original designs, and all were better than anything in Downpour. The only decent designs in Downpour were the Weeping Bats and the Dolls (which looked kind of dumb but we're at least an interesting idea). Generic waif ghost with long black hair, roided out Tekken retards, a black hole, and that ridiculous monocle face (that was going to be a boss, which is even better) were shit kids dream up in middle school.
>>
>>345231579
HI Tomm.
>>
>>345233018
>Calling every Silent Hill post 4 bad with the exception of Downpour means I'm a PR shill

Konami doesn't sell digital copies of Downpour because they used a 3rd party for the music. They won't pay the royalties because they don't care. They're not making any money from this.

God, you're such an autist. At least try to make your accusations within the realm of reason. Shattered Memories was one of the worst Silent Hill games I've ever played, by far the worst thing in the franchise. Care to debate that or are you gonna get on a loop of ANYONE WHO DOESNT CIRCLEJERK 2 IS A SHILL? Thankfully you can ID hide shitheads like you so I'll do that right now.
>>
>>345233446
Shattered Memories was fine. The game played well, made good use of motion controls and looked great for a Wii game, used your knowledge of SH1's story to subvert your expectations, and had a killer soundtrack.
>>
Downpour had some nice set pieces and cool ideas. Like that sidequest at the movie theatre where you literally go inside the film. That was cool as hell. Also the point where you reproduce a play and then it comes alive. Also awesome. Everything else about it was a chore or awful.

Homecoming had neat bosses and that's about it. Scarlet is nightmare fuel. The only area in the game I liked was the house and the hell version of it too.
>>
File: 1451928190894.jpg (119 KB, 668x1370) Image search: [Google]
1451928190894.jpg
119 KB, 668x1370
>>345211565
Homecoming, because it's on PC while Downpour isn't.
>>
>>345233446
>Shattered Memories was one of the worst Silent Hill games I've ever played, by far the worst thing in the franchise.
Not when Book of Memories exists.
>>
>>345211565
Probably Homecoming since it felt more polished than Downpour.

I liked both of them though.
>>
File: 1464577397929.png (838 KB, 1010x674) Image search: [Google]
1464577397929.png
838 KB, 1010x674
>>345234487
>>
>>345234487
You're not missing anything.
>>
>>345226179
I'm pretty sure Downpour also had like 3 hospitals which were all mental institution and no actual hospital.
>>
File: 1467306230069.png (101 KB, 242x241) Image search: [Google]
1467306230069.png
101 KB, 242x241
Definitely Homecoming. Downpour is complete trash.

>haunted police cars
>enemy designs are terrible
>spooky red ball that follows you around everywhere

WHY
it had a couple of neat areas here and there and the little theater side quest was nice but that's all it has going for it
>>
2 > 3 > SM > 4 > 1 > Origins > HC > DP > that iPhone game > BoM
>>
>>345211565
Homecomming, hands down.

It's a hideous trainwreck, but it's a hideous trainwreck in interesting and weird ways. Downpour was so terrified with being "Homecomming2" that it decided to do nothing interesting at all.
>>
File: 1465729629475.gif (771 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1465729629475.gif
771 KB, 500x282
>>345236041
>>
A friend of mine, who comes to my place once or twice a week got really interested in the series after I showed him some of SH2s soundtrack.
So, we downloaded the second game and jumped right into it, and man, it felt so good to see my friend getting all hyped for the story and the characters.
We finished the game the next time he came over, and started the third game (I have an original copy of that), finished it and started 4. With the exception of the first one, we went through the classic SH games, and he just loved them. Then we watched the movies and started Homecoming, and even him, who knew nothing about the series before, noticed the quality drop.
At first, going through SH2 he thought the dialogues were strange and funny, but he just couldn't play it, he literally became sick from the basic atmosphere of the town.
Btw, Homecoming crashed right before the sewers, and we never tried to fix it. It doesn't interests him.
I don't think we will ever play Downpour, but we still have the first game, so that's gonna be fun.
>>
>>345236360
i was waiting for the part where you had a homo experience with him. shame
>>
File: 1463183903353.jpg (36 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
1463183903353.jpg
36 KB, 500x389
>>345236041

>SH2babbies
>>
File: 1343363948882[1].png (10 KB, 204x155) Image search: [Google]
1343363948882[1].png
10 KB, 204x155
Homecoming.

>Get knife
>Stunlock every monster in the game
>Only use ammo for bosses
>Ignore all side shit
>Beat game quickly

Downpour with its shoddy attempt at getting you to explore rooms and solve puzzles just drags out an already terrible experience. Homecoming is awful, but at least I can speed through it without issue. Also, no giant ball of light that you have to run away from where the main character screams constantly, so that's nice.
>>
>>345236360
Should of let him play the first game before 3. He probably would of appreciated it more.
>>
If you actually want a survival horror, Downpour. Homecoming is for pcucks that think better performance = better game.
>>
File: 1460350192040.jpg (11 KB, 337x328) Image search: [Google]
1460350192040.jpg
11 KB, 337x328
>>345236041

>Shattered Memories
>Above Silent Hill 1

I've seen it all now
>>
>>345237338
I disagree, because I love SH1 a lot, but I loved SM nearly as much. It was a fucking great game, and I can see how someone would think it was better than 1.
>>
>>345235928
Oh man, don't even remind me of the haunted cop car, please no.
>>
>>345211565
Are you the same dude who has been asking this in every single SH thread the last few days? Either way, Homecoming was shit but it was (barely) the better Silent Hill game. Downpour is (barely) the better game but it's straight up not even a Silent Hill game anymore.

Anyway, I'd rather play Downpour and pretend SH ended at 4.
>>
>>345237437

It has its perks, like not forcing itself onto the Silent Hill main storyline and looking good for a Wii game title. But I find it hard to accept that it's better than SH1, especially since it lacks the industrial horror, puzzles, and occultism of the original. It's just SH1 with a SH2 overcoat, taking the psychology mechanic from 2. And the story is pretty meh I guess, maybe a little saddening like SH2.
>>
>>345237689
>4
>not 3
>>
>>345236198
Whoa, that's my area in the top bar
>>
>>345238680
4 still good enough and it has a connection to 2.
>>
>>345236741
I started with 1.

>>345237338
It wasn't anything special. It was freaky for the first few minutes but got dull quickly. It didn't have the scares or superior stories that 2 and 3 had to get by on. Outside of the music it was a mediocre game. I didn't play 2 and 3 until the PS2's dying years due to how disappointed I was with 1.
>>
>>345237264
It's funny because I'm the one who brought up Downpour's shit performance and I haven't played a single game on PC since Quake 2.
>>
>>345238680
Fuck you 4 was decent and well spooky despite being the most poorly designed game in existence.
>>
>>345211565
This picture triggers the fuck out of me. Fucking western filth just doesnt GET Silent Hill.
>>
>>345211565
Downpour felt like a watered :^) down Alan Wake with poor monster design, easily broken presentation, and the puzzles of a 3D Zelda game.

Homecoming was shit but it at least had some fun qualities, even if none of those really redeem the game.
>>
>>345239885
>Alan Wake with poor monster design
So just Alan Wake?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.