[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pikmin 3DS prototype was in the works, but canned.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 600x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 600x278
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/miyamoto-explains-why-3ds-pikmin-prototype-was-canned/1100-6412159/

Turns out Miyamoto was trying to make a Pikmin game for both 3DS and DS, but was canned. Interestingly, it wasn't canned due to the hardware's inability to run the game with all the pikmin, but rather for the lack of controls.

Thoughts?
>>
>>345209878
>lack of controls

Lol. What a piece of crap.
>>
Better in that way. I would not play it if the game looked terrible, with uncontrolable controls.
>>
>>345209878
Probably for the best. It just doesn't seem like Pikmin would work very well when downscaled to a handheld. It's a big screen kind of game.
>>
"lack of controls" meaning he couldn't find a new way to shoehorn some new "INOVASHUN" into it.
>>
>>345209878
the 3ds has about as many buttons as a gamecube controller plus a touchscreen i call bullshit
>it wasn't canned due to the hardware's inability to run the game with all the pikmin
BULLSHIT. if the 3ds can barely handle 10 enemies in hyrule warriors how is it going to handle 100 pikmin on screen
>>
>>345209878
This is the one game where stylus controls would work very well.
What in the fuck is wrong with this company?
>>
>>345210370
pretty much
>>
They probably could have done it like with the Pikmin 3 touch controls.

It would probably be uncomfortable as hell like Kid Icarus though.
>>
>>345209878
I sincerely doubt the hardware didn't play a role in it being canned. do you really think a game like pikmin could run even remotely well on the 3ds without looking like utter shit?
>>
Wouldn't pikmin work really well in a portable when the whole point of the game is exploring the earth from an ant's perspective?

This company mang
>>
>>345210410
Pikmin have a really low polygon count
>>
File: image.png (799 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
799 KB, 2000x2000
>>345210312
Honestly I dont think a rerelease of one of the two originals would be that bad, as opposed to a whole new game. I'd love it. I know this sounds really bad, but they could make it a New 3DS exclusive, for the better processing power, and you could use it's gyro to aim the pointer to throw Pikmin, which would still allow you to keep the 3D on due to face tracking 3D, as well as the added buttons for more controls. In fact, the N3DS's buttons now exceed the gamecube's by one, so we could have regular Pikmin controls at that point.
>>
>>345210410
The same way they did in smash 3ds. Sprites. or >>345210410
But the real reason is probably because it would look like shit because of reasons above.
>>
>>345209878
I mean it's fucking Pikmin. It doesn't really need many controls, it's not complex at all.
>>
Thumbstick to move the character.
Hold L-button wihle moving thumbstick to move the camera.
Hold R-button wihle moving thumbstick to rotate the camera.
Touch controls to throw and interact with pikmins.

There it wasn't that hard Nintendo.
>>
>>345210829
You'd be surprised anon. Every pikmin game has used every button on the controller, all actually useful buttons too. But that being said, the touch screen would really help that a lot, being that it's right in your face, unlike the wiiu gamepad
>>
>>345210991
What about the whistle to call them back? Probably sould get rid of the R-button camera function to make it the call back whistle. Tap spot to throw pikmin, but hold the R button and tap/ tap and hold a spot to call them back.
>>
They should've done a 2D Pikmin game like that DLC level. That would've worked well for it.
>>
>>345211271
Why not just use x/y?
>>
>>345210370
Fucking this. It's also the reason F-Zero is dead.

Fuck Miyamoto. Wish he died instead of Iwata.
>>
>>345210370
That's the complete opposite of what he said. He said that the changes to make it fit for the DS and 3DS made it too distant from what Pikmin was supposed to be.
>>
>>345212234
F-Zero as a series is incredibly fucking niche and has pushed something like 3 million units (maximum) in its entire lifetime. He probably is using the innovation as an excuse rather than coming out and saying

>You faggots didn't buy the game, therefore we don't have the budget to produce another one and lose even more money
>>
>>345211379
Because you hand is already holding the stylus, it wouldnmt be very intuitive if you had to rearrange you hand to press the button, especially in times when you need to act fast.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.