[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are fighting games better suited for pc or console?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: pcvsconsole.png (70 KB, 416x329) Image search: [Google]
pcvsconsole.png
70 KB, 416x329
are fighting games better suited for pc or console?
>>
PCs for 2D

Consoles for 3D cause they never port shit.
>>
>>345208406
You can use console controllers on PC

I play SFV on one of my friends PS4 and another on his PC with Mods

both are enjoyable
>>
>>345208406
They should make fighting games with cross platform play so console players can BTFO pc players and get revenge for cross platform FPS games
>>
>>345208406
Consoles because they're static when it comes to hardware. The game will perform the exact same on every console. Not so much with PCs.
That matters for fighting games.
>>
>>345208406
PC is better because literally every modern fighting game is on PC except for injustice 2

PC has better graphics and control options also with the lowest input lag

The only problem with PC is the fact that the community doesnt last as long as on console for some reason
>>
>>345208406
No reason to play on console when you can use a controller for PC, so PC it is.
>>
handhelds
>>
>friends over
>can't play 2 players on pc
>>
>>345209964
you never played on a PC
>>
>>345209964
>plug second controller into USB port

wooow, that was hard.
>>
>>345208406
Technically PC because it supports all controllers without the need of anything third party also doesn't have the 4f of lag ps4 has.

But the downside comes from PC players not buying the games on their platform, sony sponsored tournaments that will obiously use and shill ps4 as the fighting game platform.
>>
>>345209964
wut gaem so I can warn my friends not to buy it I do local PC with Skullgirls, Melty, Blaz, SFV, SFIV, Blazblue, and Guilty gear

I don't touch online on console ore PC
>>
File: 1468434710470.png (465 KB, 640x859) Image search: [Google]
1468434710470.png
465 KB, 640x859
>>345208406
PC is better in theory.
but unless it has crossplay the community will die sooner on PC and some games get released later on it or not at all.
>>
>>345209189
What mods do you use?
>>
>>345210219
He put Tracer over cammy, Karin's old costume despite me telling him the new one is superior, some Ken one I didn't see, and Q from SFIV over necalli
>>
>have friends over
>have to install drivers for whatever controller they're using
>have to play on a shitty desk
>have to play on a monitor
Nah, console all the way
>>
>>345210359
>Q from SFIV
what?
>>
>>345210363
>>have to play on a monitor
>this is somehow bad

enjoy your input lag
>>
>>345210363
>have to install drivers for whatever controller they're using
>have to play on a shitty desk
you dont have to do any of that, I swear the amount of ignorance against PC is daunting
>>
>>345210523
oh he from 3rd strike, my mistake, I just assumed IV because it was 3D and not a sprite
>>
>>345210184
Adding onto this, the difficulty and time entailed in setting up every single kind of controller (Installing drivers, binding keys etc) for every single PC setup at a tournament ensures PC will never be standard there.
>>
>>345210609
but, anon, building a PC is too hard!
>>
>>345210640
if you know nothing about fighting games, why are you in a thread about fighting games?
>>
File: 1468582892154.jpg (29 KB, 284x267) Image search: [Google]
1468582892154.jpg
29 KB, 284x267
>>345210363
>because tv's are monitors
>>
>>345210736
aren't monitors*
fug
>>
File: 20160418_223850.jpg (846 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160418_223850.jpg
846 KB, 2048x1152
>>345210664
what the hell are you people using?

All xinput shit works completely hassle free, every modern fighter supports dinput (except for SF5 which will be patched in also there is a mod for it) so playstation controllers also work
>>
>>345210697
I just don't play Q, Friend has 3rd strike, IV, and V. Every single time we play 3rd we play IV in the same day, I haven't memorized IV's roster because i'm too busy learning the few characters I do know how to play.

why wouldn't I be in a fighting game thread if I am clearly still learning them? do you not want people to try?
>>
>>345210664
pretty much, when you're dealing with hundred of setups console are just more convenient, and more cost effective
>>
>>345210609
>have to install drivers for whatever controller they are using
This is absolutely true though. Especially in the case of PS controllers.
>>
I want to build a mini-ITX PC so I can drag it to FGC events now.
>>
>>345210975
refer to
>>345210885
>>
>>345210946
>do you not want people to try?
that is stawman at it's finest
>>
>>345211250
It was a genuine question.

I play other fighting games I just am not that big on SF, it wasn't until V came out that I gave IV and 3rd Strike another shot. I play Marvel, Melee, and Guilty Gear mostly
>>
>>345211250
pls no bully
>>
>>345210885
Even then, the newest revisions of hori rap 4 kai now support xinput and ps4.
>>
>>345210885
I don't use anything because I play on keyboard.
I remember xinput being a buggy mess when I tried setting up my friends PS3 controllers. Took over an hour and a half just to get it to recognize the controller. Once it finally did recognize the controllers both of them counted as the same one, so we couldn't play together.
>>
>>345211547
Fine,

I apologize for the previous post that berated your erroneous assumption and yeah I do want more people to learn fighting games.
>>
File: 1450045919838.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450045919838.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>345208406
>PC
+ Better graphics (Might have to force effects via control panel)
+ Literally any controller works
+ Fightcade is great
+ Lower input lag
+ Melty Blood
- Much lower playerbase
- Most japanese fighters only come out on PC much later than on consoles or not at all
- Some fighters have port issues
- Some controller require you to mess around with finicky drivers or use shitty third party programs to configure them.

>Consoles
+ Much higher playerbase
+ Really easy to play with friends locally.
- Higher input delay
- Only specific controllers work
- Paid online

Online playerbase and games not being on PC are basically the biggest difference between the two.
>>
>>345211872
correct, I was just posting the stick I use

my post was still correct however, I can use Dinput mode and it works on every modern fighter

>>345211958
>keybard
sure, I dont know much about how that works, but keyboards dont work on console at all

> xinput being a buggy mess when I tried setting up my friends PS3 controllers.
that doesnt make any sense, PS3 controllers use Dinput unless you use a wrapper
>>
File: 1460068601311.png (115 KB, 474x200) Image search: [Google]
1460068601311.png
115 KB, 474x200
At this point its really only the convenience of bringing a small box to a tournament rather than a proper PC, but even that is getting more and more annoying because consoles are becoming so anti consumer.

The times of plug and play are over.
>>
>>345208406
Console. PC is full of lagging 3rd worlders who spam auto combo macros and rage quit the second they lose HP advantage.
>>
>>345208406
PC because you can use any kind of controller without the need of a proprietary chips that only work on one specific system. This and better resolution and no frame drops like on console.
>>
>>345209686
>that the community doesnt last as long as on console for some reason
because all big fighting game companies profit from marketing towards consoles

they're mentioning "sponsored by PS4" and "PS4 is THE platform to play SFV on" every 5 minutes at evo
>>
>>345212201
You can use keyboard on console, you just have to get an adaptor thing that costs like 100$.

Every guide I looked up said to use xinput for PS controllers. If I was supposed to use dinput then that would explain the shittyness.
>>
>>345212942
yeah you're right, but if any of that mattered, games wouldnt be played on PC at all because console version of games are marketed all the time on TV

>>345212947
>You can use keyboard on console, you just have to get an adaptor thing that costs like 100$.

why even bother, also the "problem" most people have with PC is configuring which is something you are adding with this adapter thing that probably adds input lag

>Every guide I looked up said to use xinput for PS controllers.
xinput is better in general because it works for all games, but for fighters it''s not necessary because every modern fighter supports Dinput, shit even other games are supporting DS4 natively, check out FarCry 4 and Xrd
>>
>>345210972
>and more cost effective

no
>>
>>345210885
This shit is garbage that barely works don't shill it here please
>>
>>345213526
I'm not shilling anything, I was just posting my stick

Also, I dont know what you mean by barely works since I use it every day and it's fantastic
>>
>>345209328

SFV is cross platform.
>>
console is better for fighting games in particular because all the hardware is the same and its much easier to transport a console than a pc. most people also play fighters on a tv, having multiple cramped around a monitor is annoying. the increased range of controller types isn't really a big deal, and mods are irrelevant to anyone trying to get good at the game. and history has shown that the netcode tends to be better on console, but thats more of an issue of lazy developers than anything wrong with pc.
>>
>>345214090
why do you and so many others make the TV vs Monitor argument ? modern consoles are HDMI just like modern PCs

you can easily plug a PC into any TV you would plug a console into
>>
>>345214254
people are ignorant as fuck towards PC
>>
File: Alienware-Alpha-G04_w_755.jpg (35 KB, 755x503) Image search: [Google]
Alienware-Alpha-G04_w_755.jpg
35 KB, 755x503
>>345214090
>it's much easier to transport a console than a PC
Mini-ATX systems have the potential to be smaller than a console, pic related.

Then just plug the PC into a TV instead.

It can be in local scenes when someone doesn't want to upgrade from a PS3 arcade stick to a PS4 arcade stick to be able to play certain games (only a few games use the skullgirls driver that lets ps3 sticks work on PS4)
>>
>>345214254

its an issue of having more shit to deal with. for a pc only guy like me, i don't even own a tv, and i know a lot of people that are the same way. and a pc is significantly larger and has more wires than a console. its really not that hard to move a console around, they have decent enough form factor to where you can put one in your backpack. transporting my pc to my living room, let alone taking it in a car to a friend's house in a tournament is a pain in the ass. moving around a pc is like moving around a bunch of band equipment. nobody is trying to work that hard to play video games, especially when the consoles offer a more stable experience.
>>
>>345214090
>console is better for fighting games in particular because all the hardware is the same
why does this matter as long as the game is 60fps?
>>
File: angry cat.jpg (266 KB, 905x881) Image search: [Google]
angry cat.jpg
266 KB, 905x881
>>345214686

>using the alienware alpha in any serious debate
>>
>>345214780
there is a lot of subjective and anecdotal shit in here
>>
>>345214780
Mini-ATX guy was the one arguing against portability, my argument was aimed at the people who act like a PC explodes if you plug it into a TV, who act like AMD didn't make the GPU in the console like the GPU in my PC

Monitor vs TV is a non-issue

portability is a separate issue
>>
>>345214780
>pc is significantly larger and has more wires than a console
????

PC
>Power cable
>Hdmi cable
>Network cable
>Controller cable
>Wireless keyboard with trackpad for some OS setup (Optional if you use a laptop)

Console
>Power cable
>Hdmi cable
>Network cable
>Controller cable
>Optional : Wireless keyboard with trackpad for web browsing
>>
>>345215443

>using a wireless keyboard and trackpad for gaming
>>
>>345215670
>Using a mouse for fighting games
>>
>>345214686

sure, but how many people actually own these, or have any desire to build one themselves? you lose a ton of reasons to even have a pc in the first place when you shrink the mobo down like that. how many pc players are trying to own a spend a ton of moeny on a gimped pc just to have the form factor of a console?

>>345214968

and? its a thread about people's preferences. fighters have never been popular on pc.

>>345214787

because not all configurations are going to work the same, even if your pc is more than good enough. sfv has giant nvidia logos everywhere, if you bought the game at launch and had an AMD card you were in for a shitty time

>>345215034

>my argument was aimed at the people who act like a PC explodes if you plug it into a TV

i'm not saying that, and i still think the issue is portability.
>>
File: 1467776788772.webm (448 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467776788772.webm
448 KB, 1280x720
The one that never forced people to pick certain stages because of performance issues
>>
>>345215998
>because not all configurations are going to work the same, even if your pc is more than good enough. sfv has giant nvidia logos everywhere, if you bought the game at launch and had an AMD card you were in for a shitty time

What the fuck are you talking about, as long as the game runs 60FPS you are fine

>and? its a thread about people's preferences

because you are fucking wrong
>>
>>345215998
>i still think the issue is portability.
In that case the only addition to PC is a keyboard and mouse for navigation (which can be bypassed with Steams Big Picture if you just set steam to Auto-login

> people also play fighters on a tv, having multiple cramped around a monitor is annoying.
Is what I was referencing specifically, people say this all the time when both console and PC can be plugged into the same Monitors and TVs
>>
>>345215443

an average gaming pc by itself is going to be significantly larger than a console, don't try to deny that

and as for cords i'm sure there are plenty of people like me that have everything wired. other than the obvious stuff like hdmi and power cable, my keyboard, mouse, headphones, microphone, and network cable are all wired
>>
>>345216384
so consoles are better because you can bring it to places? that has nothing to do with the gameplay and even when I did have a console, I didnt bring it anywhere
>>
File: ml08-34right.jpg (50 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
ml08-34right.jpg
50 KB, 560x560
>>345215998
If portability is what you need then you can build a PC that is portable. Why are you saying "how many people actually own these or want to build them" when the argument is that they need the system to be portable?

If they need a portable PC they can build a portable PC, just because it's Mini-ITX doesn't mean it can't run SFV or Guilty Gear Xrd at 60fps either.

>>345216384
Pic related is a case that's only slightly larger than a PS4 yet can still fit very strong hardware (including the GTX 1080).

I mean yes, most real gaming systems are going to be full tower setups but again you can still just make a Mini-ITX system if you need portability.
>>
>>345216215

>What the fuck are you talking about, as long as the game runs 60FPS you are fine

there are plenty of games crashing or having way lower performance than they should due to brand or driver issues

>>345216727

we're talking specifically about fighting games, so if you're trying to bring it over to a friend's house or helping out with hardware for a tournament, then yes consoles are better
>>
>>345216906
>trying to bring it over to a friend's house or helping out with hardware for a tournament
I dont do any of that, I just play the game

if I do go over a friend's house, I just bring my stick and play on their rig
>>
>>345216906
>there are plenty of games crashing or having way lower performance than they should due to brand or driver issues
you dont know what you are talking about, specifically to fighting games, I have not seen this happen
>>
>>345216906
PC games crash about as much as consoles games do, not to mention fighting games aren't particularly demanding to begin with so "way lower performance due to brand or driver issues" wouldn't even be an issue.
>>
>>345208406
Console is better for the FGC since there can be a lot of variance with delay, system issues, etc. because each PC uses different components.

It's much easier to standardize console hardware (esp. globally and nation/regionwide). Without a reliable standard, match quality drops significantly.
>>
>>345217053

thats fine, but its something to consider for people that do

>>345217258

just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean that they don't exist. sfv has horrible input lag with vsync. its not that hard to turn off if you have an nvidia card, but if you're with amd then its a much more involved process

outside of just graphics performance, i have to restart my pc nearly half the time after loading up sfv because it refuses to detect my stick when there is nothing wrong with it. its a bug thats been in the game since it launched and i doubt it will be fixed anytime soon
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.