[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've come to love dragon quest after playing DQ 7 on my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: dragon-quest-82.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dragon-quest-82.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
I've come to love dragon quest after playing DQ 7 on my imported 3DS and DQ 8 via emulation. I have to play through DQ 7 slow since my japanese isn't that good, so I'll probably finish 8 before it. What should I play after 8? Is there a DQ to top it?
>>
>>345188672
8, 5, and 3 are the only DQ games worth playing

Play 5 on ps2 if you don't mind jap, DS otherwise
>>
>>345188672
I'm only a few hours into this game but so far I'm loving it. easily blows the PS2 Final Fantasies out of the water.

Isn't there an English version of DQ7 on PS1? Just emulated that. The English 3DS port is coming out in a few months anyway so you might as well play through 8 first.
>>
>>345190563
Also I'd like to know which other Dragon Quest games are worth playing? Should I just play through them all in release order?
>>
>>345189514
I am currently playing DQV on PS2 with the English translation and its great. Its my first real dip into the series and enjoying it very much. The story and the characters are just great.
>>
>>345190563
DQV or VI my nigga
IX if you want the latest
>>
>>345193074
What about DQIV? That one seems to be exceptionally popular among the Japs.
>>
>>345193337
Probably because they have a hard-on for alena. As long as you play the DS version sure, though some people swear to the original famicom versions which I just can't abide because I'm not such a big fan of the famicom graphics. Not sure if NA/europe even got the SNES remake
>>
>>345189514
>8, 5 and 3

Listen to this man. Those are easily the top 3 DQ.
>>
>>345193337
Japs also think FFIV is better than V and VI.

DQIV and FFIV are both good games, but DQIII, V and VI all trump DQIV, and FFV and VI trump FFIV.

Japs like their classics as generic as possible.
>>
>>345194061
Japs love X the most out of the FF series with VII a close second. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>345194491
>Make of that what you will.

The fact that X is their FF franchise favorite and IV is their Super Famicom favorite for both series just says to me that they have shit taste and should not be listened to.
>>
>>345193670
OP, make sure you play a version of DQIV that has team chat. It adds so much plot and character development to the game. Playing a non-team chat version feels hollow by comparison.

Team chat versions:
-Jap PS1
-Jap DS (I think)
-English Android/iOS

Sadly English DS removed it.
>>
>>345193337
Personally DQ4 is my favorite. If you can understand moon PSX. If English either DS with accents that some like some hate and no party chat, mobile which is DS with party chat, NES with a really good localization but NES gameplay which some can't really get into.
>>
>>345194061

>Japs like their classics as generic as possible.

Why are the japanese so autistic?
>>
>>345195056
it's ingrained in their public consciousness to never stand out and they love self-inserting, so they need the most generic of the generic
>>
They are all worth playing
4 is the best
>>
>>345189514
>8, 5, and 3 are the only DQ games worth playing
Literally casualfag /v/scum.
>>
File: ark terranigma.jpg (90 KB, 557x378) Image search: [Google]
ark terranigma.jpg
90 KB, 557x378
>>345195291
This.
Also japanese schoolkids, especially the boys, have absolute shit taste in everything, which is why every "hero" always, without question, uses a sword. Any company that has the MC use something else, ends up dead, or worse.
>but anon, Quintet are dead, right? I mean, they revamped into Shade, but that is gone, too, right? They went out with a somewhat quiet death after granstream saga, right?
AHAHAHAHA Oh lordy, no. You wish.
>>
>>345195937
>He actually thinks sword being a hero's weapon has to do with Japanese schoolkids
I hope you're just pretending to be retarded right now.
>>
>>345190618
DQIII, DQIV and DQV are considered the best. Personally, I find DQV so good that it's worth playing even if you don't delve in the rest of the series.
>>
File: 1466138799830.jpg (93 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1466138799830.jpg
93 KB, 700x700
>>345194061
>6 better than 4
No. In fact most people say either 6 or 2 are the worst in the series. Personally I like 2 if only for the music.
>>
>>345196460
I think the worst issue with VI is that it's really underwhelming after how amazing DQV was.
>>
>>345196167
It does.
Just like Goku having to always be the one to clean up shop.
>>
>>345195937
So what really happened to Quintet?
>>
>>345196654
You're dumb as shit dude.

It's all over western media as well. Why? Because sword in its many, many, many forms has been throughout history a popular weapon.

Aside from that, there's symbolism behind sword.
>>
>>345196654
I mean just fucking look at this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_objects#Swords
>>
They are all worth playing
5 is the best
>>
>>345196561
5's only amazing factor was its story.
The original was fucking retarded in a lot of ways.
6 was a big ass improvement originally, but because of the DS games, you feel far less of its noteworthy jumps forward. I mean, hell, it was the first to actually have the damn BAG.
Regarding monster taming in 6, I feel like they should have either
A) actually expanded on it instead of limiting it to fucking slimes in the DS version
or
B) gone the monster heart system route from 7

I mean, it was never the main focus of 6, but it was still pretty neat to have taming, job classes, AND dual-worlds (plus underwater exploration) in the same game, especially since monsters had resistances to elements and ailments that human allies didn't have (although the humans all had at least some, though hidden). Still, 6 was the only revamp that actually CUT content. Even cutting out the hidden resistances of the humans.
I don't know what the fuck happened, but 6 really got the shaft, and it seems to have gotten a lot of slack because of it.
Granted, another big part of 6 getting shit on is because, unlike other games where it at least feels like you're going to other places, 6 reused environments a lot, even in the original. Even 7 used different building structures and some art design choices to differentiate shit. 6 has a bunch of the same grasslands and castles with other location-types being one-off dungeons or towns, so I can see how some people feel it comes off as a slog at the worst of times.
I don't think a majority of its soundtrack is too great either, but some of the standout songs are cool, but sadly underutilized (fucking Brave Fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTIDTiYUxY&t=3m37s) being the biggest victim, which should have been used for all 4 demon lord fights, in my opinion).
So, while I don't think 6 is the "best" DQ, I still think it deserves more props than it gets. It's pretty nice to replay as well, as long as you "restart" after unlocking Dharma.
>>
Tell me senpai. Is 6 worth playing or not?
>>
>>345196896
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0p8TmW3AR4
>>
>>345188672
dq1 (snes) is basic and can be beat in a day.
dq2 (snes) gets a bit messy once you get the boat and endgame is crazy hard.
dq3 (snes) is godlike
dq4 (phone) is alright and a good introduction to jrpgs. ds versions outside japan got party chat removed but phone ver kept it.
dq5 (ps2 or ds/phone) great story and you can choose a wife. almost any enemy can be a party member.
dq6 (ds/phone) normal jrpg but managing 2 worlds simultaneously can be confusing

dq9 (ds) easy main game but infinite grinding endgame with randomized dungeons
>>
>>345197526
I'm so sorry, to go from Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia to...this.
>>
>>345194864
This. A DQ without team cheat just feels like your party members are a bunch of stats without any soul. Well except for 8 since the characters are fleshed out in the story itself and team chat is not needed although it's there.
>>
>>345198120
>A DQ without team chat just feels like your party members are a bunch of stats without any soul
Get out.
>>
>>345198342
Calm yourself, my cow-loving friend.
>>
File: 1468594825351.jpg (92 KB, 1121x1004) Image search: [Google]
1468594825351.jpg
92 KB, 1121x1004
>>345197438
But aren't you able to use monsters from your Joker save file in both VI and IX?

Can't remember where I read that though.
>>
>>345198885
No.
Other way around.
>>
Posting my favorite doujin

http://exhentai.org/g/406335/23ac2142ee/
>>
>>345199397
>not the one where the slime grows a human body and fucks the hero's team, and then the hero turns into a dragon, kills the slime, and fucks his team with his dragon dick
>>
>>345199534
Post it
>>
>>345199619
I would, but I don't remember the name or artist.
The writing was as stupid as it was amusing.
>LOOK AT THESE SLUTTY PRIEST CLOTHES
>DAMN, AKIRA TORIYAMA IS A MOTHERFUCKING GENIUS
>>
File: 1468458908931.jpg (139 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
1468458908931.jpg
139 KB, 852x480
>>345199358
Oh. Well that's kind of cool.

>Nothing but slimes and cruelcumbers
>>
>>345200662
lol
I got Overkilling Machine.
Tuff luk, fagit.
>>
>>345189514
PS2 version of 5 has a full fantranslation.
>>
Anyone else play DQ8 without the voice acting? Apparently the JP version didn't have it, and most dub voice acting sucks anyway. Besides imagining your own voices is part of the magic.
>>
Is the best way to play 5 emulation?
>>
>>345199679
That corny self-referential 4th wall humor is true to Toriyama's style, I'll give them that.
>>
>>345201924
The voice acting is pretty good and it just worked very well with DQ8 overall bigger scope and sense of adventure.
>>
>>345202020
Play the PS2 fan translation its really good.
>>
>>345201924
>and most dub voice acting sucks anyway

English Yangus is possibly the single best acted game character I've heard. DQ8 is easily the best localisation I've ever experienced, with the most complex orchestral soundtrack I've heard in a game and all the changes being positive.
>>
>>345202203
>>345203756
Shit, I've been playing it wrong this whole time.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.