[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give it to me straight /v/, what's the patrician choice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: Super-Mario-Galaxy-1-2.png (369 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
Super-Mario-Galaxy-1-2.png
369 KB, 500x352
Give it to me straight /v/, what's the patrician choice?
>>
Not getting a fucking Wii in the first place.
>>
both
>>
>>345186129
I never saw the appeal of the galaxy games
>>
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is literally one of the best games ever made. Probably the apex of platformers.
>>
I like Galaxy 1 more, mostly to fuck around with the Flight Star
>>
Super mario galaxy 1 by far.

I mean, 2 is probably objectively better but it didn't have the fresh feeling of one. It felt more like an expansion pack than an actual sequel.

Both games are easily the best 3D platforming has to offer though. Such fucking fantastic level design.
>>
The ones that don't involve waggle.
>>
2 is better but it's close
>>
>>345186631
>not playing on Dolphin and binding the spin to a button
>>
>>345186629
I think this is the best answer in the thread so far. Galaxy 2 is technically better but is spoiled by Galaxy 1 doing much of it first.
>>
>disregard shit galaxy
>play mario 64 instead
the patricians choice
>>
The one that isn't a disorienting mess
>>

Galaxy games are good for a single playthrough, then they become forgotten.
Hub-world, open progression games like 64 are fun to replay and become timeless because of this.

Also, the way nintendo gradually took momentum out of mario culminating with 3DW being a pile of shit doesn't help.
>>
>>345186695
how do you collect meteor shards without the pointer?

>>345186629
If you play 2 first then you'd get better design and freshness, right?
>>
>>345186695
I've honestly never even considered emulating the Galaxy games, but I might have to now that I know there is an option to remove the shit gimmick. People bitch about FLUDD but having the use the objectively worse designed controller of all time and waggle is much fucking worse.
>>
1 for style, 2 for substance.

Ideally you should play both.
>>
>>345186821
you can also do the same thing with Donkey Kong Returns, you can bind the waggle roll to a button and the game becomes a near 10/10
>>
2 is the closest thing to a perfect 3D Platformer, so that one
>>
>>345186732
>Galaxy games are good for a single playthrough, then they become forgotten.
I will never understand this mentality.

"Linear" is not an inherently bad thing, but it's the most common criticism I see of Galaxy online.

You know what else is linear? Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3, and World.
>>
>>345186762
>If you play 2 first then you'd get better design and freshness, right?
I guess so bit I couldn't tell you because I played 1 first. The logic is sound though.
>>
Galaxy is for secondaries. Which one you prefer does not matter.
>>
>>345186990
>Secondaries
>For fucking mario
Yeah, nah you're an autist. Fuck off back to /jp/.
>>
2 is better in most aspects, but I can't help but feel a little burned knowing that Miyamoto intentionally removed any kind of story/lore from the game.

Rosalina and her observatory were nice. They weren't Planescape Torment but it added a little more character and personality to the game. Removing that in favor of the big fat purple guy who is just basically a hint distributor was kind of lame.
>>
2 is better because its the only one that ive played, and games that i have not played are all shit
>>
>>345186129
i wanted to like these games but ill never get over how much i hated the wiimote controls. completely ruined a generation of nintendo gaming for me
>>
>>345186129

Playing either in Dolphin 5.0 on PC in HD, using a real Wiimote and nunchuk via a bluetooth thingie
>>
What exactly was the problem with the wiimote controls in this? Shaking the remote was no more challenging, and no less intuitive, than pressing a button. It worked perfectly fine. Sometimes I swear you faggots just hate anything different just because it's different. This wasn't like Skyward Sword where the controls were prone to errors or something like that. There was nothing wrong with them in the Galaxy games.
>>
>>345186959
Linear is bad after the first playthrough because the novelty wears off and you find yourself with the same exact devices that once relied on freshness. Being on rails more than once is simply not fun.

This happens to everything, not just mario.

MMOs, roguelikes, rpgs, action games, you name it.

Any themepark section is considerably less fun when replayed, when compared to a more open approach with different possibilities. You have no choice to play it differently.

>You know what else is linear? Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3, and World.
The 2D games didn't start with an open-ended nature and then got constricted to a line, that's the main difference in perception here.

Super Mario 64 will always be more loved because it was robust enough to be played 20 times and still be fun. Galaxy gets boring as fuck after the first time. It's just how it works. If you rely on novelty and gimmicks, once you've seen them it's done. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the games themselves, but the direction inherently makes them worse candidates to be timeless classics, because the way the games are consumed is "play once and forget".

Also, linearity in gameplay and linearity in progression are two very different things, I should point out. SMG has the former. The levels are so tiny that there is no room to execute things differently. You are constricted by the level design. For example, even in 64, every star remains the same, but the way you get them is more elastic. That's because the maps are wide and don't hold your hand through a tiny unique fucking corridor 70% of the time.
>>
>>345187831
Reggie said literally "git gud" when asked about the nuances and inconsistencies of motion controls.

It's beyond saving.
>>
>>345188597
You're vastly overrating the amount of freedom and agency when it comes to collecting a star in Super Mario 64.
>>
>>345188597
i barely read what you said, but i think 64 is a hell of a lot more boring than the galaxy games. i'd rather play through them multiple times.
>>
Galaxy 1 is a damn comfy game, 2 just has good ass levels
>>
>>345186720
Zero fucking content in your post, why respond?
>>
2 is the patrician choice. Objectively it's better. But most people will prefer one because they played it first, and when the quality is this clode it's really no matter. Until three comes and makes them both look like chumps
>>345187849
Emufag pls leave
>>
>>345188597
Good write up
>>
>>345188761
I'm just stating that there is more due to the level design differences, which is an objective fact. This leads to the replaying the game being more engaging as a result, another objective fact. If you do not replay any game it could very well mean that galaxy games are better for you. I know they would for me if I only ever played 64 once, for a fact.

>>345188809
That's probably because you've never bothered to learn how to control mario at high speed, which is something you're not allowed to do in the galaxy games because they took out momentum.

You can just compare the speedruns of both games to see an extreme example of what I'm talking about, the differences in how a player can play the games after multiple playthroughs is staggering.
>>
>>345189205
>speedrunning
oh I see what kind of faggot you are now. yeah constantly doing long jumps or whatever the fuck you're talking about isn't that fun buddy
>>
When will the "Super Mario 64 is the best 3D Mario game" meme end?
>>
>>345189287
Whenever they make a 3d sequel that is actually better.
>>
>>345189114
But three does exist.

It's called Mario 3D World
>>
>>345189279
You can belly slide the slopes if you don't like long jumping. That's still funnier than just walking.

And I did specify it was an extreme example, but it still applies to multiple playthroughs.

I'm sorry you jumped to conclusions, I must have triggered you when I said the word speedrunning.
>>
>>345189287
when you Galaxy cocksuckers get your head out of your ass and realize that Sunshine is by far the best
>>
>linear is bad

Why do people say this shit all the time?
Lots of people still play SMB3 and Super Mario World all the damn time and still have fun with it. Is it suddenly absolutely not okay when it's in 3D? Is it maybe a nostalgia thing? The new game is automatically worse than the older one so we have to come up with the weakest, shittiest excuse to prove it?

Don't get me wrong, I love 64 and Sunshine, but this is ridiculous.
>>
>>345189614
Sunshine is just legitimately not a very good game
>>
>>345189287
SM64 has unrivaled movement mechanics and level design.
>>
>>345189750
a single special stage in Sunshine is better designed than an entire galaxy put together in Galaxy 1
>>
The one with less a presses
>>
>>345189868
Too bad the special stages are sparse and hidden and you have to do a bunch of other unfun gimmick shit before you get to them.
>>
my favorite super mario sunshine stage is the one with the chomps and the goo everywhere. i think they spread the goo
>>
1: 8/10
2: 10/10

Level design is just so much more varied and better
>>
File: 800px-super_mario_64_box_cover.jpg (132 KB, 800x557) Image search: [Google]
800px-super_mario_64_box_cover.jpg
132 KB, 800x557
>>345186129
>>
>>345188597
Lets hope yookah laylee does it correctly.
>>
>>345186129
Two

Only a heretic savage would think otherwise
>>
>>345186129
Super Mario Galaxy 2
>>
Galaxy 2 definitely improved on what Galaxy introduced, so objectively it is the better game - obviously, though, Galaxy felt a lot fresher when it first came out. Just from a personal standpoint, there was something about the grandiose atmosphere of the first Galaxy that really resonated with me: either way, they're both definitely worth playing if you're a fan of 3D platformers.
>>
>>345189287
Whenever they make a 3D mario with that many different techniques and open levels.
>>
>>345188881
Shitpost of the year
>>
File: muh reviewssssssss2.jpg (31 KB, 223x332) Image search: [Google]
muh reviewssssssss2.jpg
31 KB, 223x332
>>345186129
Citizen Kane of Gaming.
>>
>>345192713
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DELETE THIS

S-SONY ALWAYS WINS
>>
The Galaxy games are great, but they become truly stunning on Dolphin in 1080p with the waggle bound to a button.
>>
>>345186129
Galaxy 1 had better atmosphere and "wow" effect.
But since I don't give two shits about useless crap like atmosphere I choose Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2, from a gameplay, content, challenge and level design standpoint, is superior by far. Galaxy 1 is still too anchored to the stale formula of 64 and Sunshine while Galaxy 2 finally frees himself and later gave us two gems of linear 3D platforming with 3D Land and 3D World.
Those two plus Galaxy 2 are the top of the 3D Mario series, atmosphere be damned.
>>
>>345192713

Galaxy is not even best Mario game.
>>
>>345193083
>gave us two gems of linear 3D platforming with 3D Land and 3D World.
stop. those ges are not even close to the same genre and 3d world (havent played land) is practically an isometric game. i refuse to believe that THAT is where they want to go with 3d platforming after special sunshine stages and galaxy 1&2
>>
>>345193150
Speaks volumes about the movie, huh?
>>
>>345193363
>3d world is practically an isometric game
fuck off
kys
>>
>>345194054
>3 camera angles
>straight behind
>diagonal forward
>diagonal back
i liked the game its just the party controls and camera gimped it in my personal desu
>>
>>345192713
I see nothing wrong with this. One doesn't even want to be a game.
>>
>>345186129
Both, faggot.

>>345193083
>gems
>you have to hold a button to run
That killed the games for me. Fucking garbage.
>>
>>345193363
>is practically an isometric game
Thisis the dumbest shit I read here after that guy calling the games 2.5d.
I don't give a fuck anymore of you "aestethic sandbox" cretins. I'll alway put those games on top of the 3D, yes fucking 3D, Mario series, for their polished level design.
>>
>>345194198
There's actually 9 angles depending on the level
>>
File: 60531_3436.jpg (57 KB, 640x569) Image search: [Google]
60531_3436.jpg
57 KB, 640x569
>>345191658
>>
>>345186129
SMG2 is for faggots whose favorite Mario game is 3D Land.
>>
>>345189460
Fuck off.
Unless the next Mario game is Super Mario 3D GALAXY (which I would love this if this happened, literal two in one) then no, 3D World isn't a Galaxy 2 sequel, it's a fucking 3D LAND sequel, fucking faggot.
>>
>>345188597
>Super Mario 64 will always be more loved because it was robust enough to be played 20 times and still be fun.

yeah, they should've made an inferior game in order to cater to the 0.0001% of unironically literally autistic nintentoddlers who play a game fucking 20 times. You can argue about which one was better at the time but you gotta be fucking insane to think SM64 today is in any way better than the Galaxies
>>
64 or Sunshine.
>>
>>345196749
ew, no thanks. the new characters controlled like ass
>>
>>345197724
>admitting you are a filthy causal

why would anyone listen to your pleb opinions?
>>
Both are great games on their own right

Galaxy 2 is more fresher due to Yoshi and there constantly being more new gameplay mechanics so it doesn't get repetitive

Galaxy is "MUH FIRST EXPERIENCE, MUH ROSALINA"
>>
Imagine how fucking amazing these games would've been if it didn't have to run on 2003 era hardware and could've been visually stunning as well. and if it didn't have to be a fucking Mario game with all the stupid mario memeshit like yoshi and goombas and pipes put in where it makes no fucking sense.
>>
File: 1465922029129.jpg (8 KB, 212x218) Image search: [Google]
1465922029129.jpg
8 KB, 212x218
>>345194054
>>345194920
This buttdevastated.
Question, is there any moment in the game you can stop, then move the camera around in 3D space? If not, it's a 2.5D game, simple as that. If Sonic fucking Colors can be called a 2.5D when there were still 3D sections in that game but 3D World doing the same damn thing? Than it confirmed /v/ is literally NintenGAF central, mister "It's ok when Nintendo does it" fag.
>>
>>345198083
Damn this game about tiny planetoids would make so much more SENSE if it didn't have warp pipes in it
>>
Mr Gay #1.
Between the red coin challenge in the tree slide level, and silver stars in quadruple-time, 2 made me ragequit.
>>
>>345198198
but they're not tiny planetoids, they're all separate galaxies! :^)
>nintentoddlers will defend this
>>
If I want a more open plattformer I would just play Banjo Kazooie since it has more unique moves and more consistent atmosphere between areas. Mario is for pure plattforming so I don't care if it has a glorified hub or some level stretching between the actual challenging sections or not. 64 Mario has a few more moves I agree but the Galaxy games feel more fluid, have better levels and level variety.
That said, 2 > 1, both are great tho
>>
>>345198258
Oh and I recall there being a paraglider that controlled worse than the chopper dogfights near the finale of Crysis.
>>
>>345187065
>Planescape Torment
>An example of a good storyline

If you enjoy "Babies First Philosophical Story" sure.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.