[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did your parents react about your playing video games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13
File: the suffering egg.jpg (136 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the suffering egg.jpg
136 KB, 1024x768
Did your parents ever give you a hard time for liking video games? Did they ever sell your game consoles or did they just complain about your addiction?

When looking back, do you think they were right?
>>
not really it kept me busy as long as I still went outside they didn't care but when I was a teenager I just started mostly just playing vidya
>>
File: 1468138805268.gif (2 MB, 504x279) Image search: [Google]
1468138805268.gif
2 MB, 504x279
My mom used to be vilified about video games. Always blamed them for why I was failing in middle school, when in reality, it was because I had a bully twice my mass that I tried to take on at least twice. She made me get rid of any games that had humans dying in them, all of my nintendo power issues, and ridiculed me about playing games.

Now she doesn't mind it. She sees me play and aftually smiles because it's something I love dearly.
>>
File: fuck you sis.png (139 KB, 342x380) Image search: [Google]
fuck you sis.png
139 KB, 342x380
>>345176332
>playing KH
>sister wants to use the TV
>tell her I'm playing video games
>she says they look gay and leaves

SHE WAS RIGHT
>>
No. Mom was alright with me playing video games. They kept me quiet and well behaved, and distracted when we were going to boring places.
>>
Many people within my family chastised me for it.

These people are now working all day and all night in awful jobs and constantly being broken down, and also generally treated me like garbage through the years.

So, no. I was right. They told me to get a job. I didn't. I'm upset, stressed, and miserable, but at least I get time to step back and freely enjoy myself.
>>
>>345176332
My mom has always hated video games because she's one of those kinds of Christians you meet who think television was invented by Satanists and that the world would be a better place without Apple products. She's half-right though

My Dad never really cared, but he did say he liked Capcom and Metal Gear Solid, so there's that
>>
My parents introduced me to video games and used to play them.

They used to get high and get me to enter the level select code in Sonic 2 so they could play the special stages over and over.
>>
>>345176332
I always had good grades, friends, went out with them for parties and such. Why would my parents give a shit
>>
File: 1447034184295.png (100 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
1447034184295.png
100 KB, 257x250
I've never had problems with my parents about playing too much video games or being addicted to them.

Funny thing is that the first console and game they gave me was N64 (we were too poor back in the SNES era) with a R rated game, they didn't know shit about the ESRB and never cared about violence in video games. Good times.
>>
File: 1406684718418.png (69 KB, 420x248) Image search: [Google]
1406684718418.png
69 KB, 420x248
Nobody really said anything about me for playing games, but I always felt like an disappointment for playing any of them

I stopped playing them at all until I moved out
>>
My mom was right for blaming Video Games for my lack of social skills and physical fitness, but taking them away just made me more obsessed. I ended up retreating into the world of sprite based webcomics, Let's Plays, in the early 2000's and GameFAQS roleplays and sadly never left
>>
>>345176882
She doesn't feel guilt? You should make her feel guilt. Don't let her forget she was a shit parent.
>>
File: 1464250840081.gif (181 KB, 190x152) Image search: [Google]
1464250840081.gif
181 KB, 190x152
>>345176332
My parents had their own vices. I told them. When you quit cigarettes is when I will quit Video Games.

My mother took it to the grave with her Cancer sticks. Can't say I tried stopping her. But when Nicotine gets its deathly grip on a 54 year old lady. Its nothing much you can do. Even after you spent 23 years of your life with her.
>>
My mom used to tell me that if I wanted to have new games I would have to sell some of my old games. As a kid it made sense to give away a couple of games to get a new one, but nowadays I wish I wouldn't have sold stuff like Castlevania and Battletoads.
>>
File: 1462506257520.gif (80 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
1462506257520.gif
80 KB, 350x263
>>345179775
Which is a more expensive habit in the long run?
Video Games or Cigarettes?
Which give you the most value of your lifetime?

I need to know /v/
>>
>anon i'm taking away your video games because you play them too much
>ok
>mum its been a few day can I play?
>Oh I threw them away, you were done playing with it
>I stopped because you said I was playing too much
>Well that's your fault then

I didn't really realize I what really happened until much later
>>
My parents said video games are all shit and a waste of time and money and they were right.
>>
When i was 5 My dad drag me into Red Alert 1 just to find someone to play with
>>
>Anon when are you going to stop playing video games and find a fertile mate to bear me a grandchild?

mom stop
>>
>>345176332
My dad complained about me buying toys, and game since I was 7 (he would get pissed at even the mention of a toy or game). He wanted me to grow up and get married as soon as possible (also telling me he'd kill me if I was gay).

Turns out he was gay, and despite the fact that he's about to get married to his gay lover, he still doesn't have to balls to apologize to me or even tell me to my face that he's gay.
>>
>>345180203
>when looking back

OP here, I was talking about when you were young
>>
>>345180014
cigarettes for sure
packs are like 5-6 each and people smoke multiple packs a day sometimes
>>
>>345180137
>because I discovered it was more productive and cheap to shipost about them rather than playing them!
>>
The rules on games were super strict and weird growing up. Could only play on the weekends and console games were limited to an hour a day. It was like this until a ways into middle school, where these rules eventually relaxed off into nothing.

Why they went this route is mystifying to me since it only made me that much more interested in gaming. Forbidden fruit and all that.
>>
>>345180014
Depends how much you smoke and whether or not you buy games you want vs "This is cheap and the STEAM sale is on!"

Ultimately, games could be more expensive if you were addicted.

A heavy, heavy smoker will smoke 3 packs a day, which is about $20 (depending on your state). That's about $560 a month or so.

Ten games a month at full price can net you that same cost, or if you play a game that has loot crates/gachapon/etc money, even more.

You USED to be able to resell games and game consoles because they were physical goods, but the bulk of games these days are digital, so that advantage is quickly fading.
>>
>>345180014
cigarettes for sure
>>
>>345180014
Imagine playing a free to play game except you buy some cash item every single day (sometimes a few) on an impulse.
Cigarettes are like that but they kill you slowly.
>>
>>345180236
It was a cry for help. Your dad wanted you to kill him for being gay. You're a terrible son for not killing your gay father.
>>
>>345180236
Your dad sounds pretty gay
>>
Parents didn't mind it.
We used to play Bomberman 64 as a family.
Parents used to buy a game for my brother and I for holidays.
It was the best Easter when we got Conker's Bad Fur Day.
>>
File: 1446527897449.gif (499 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1446527897449.gif
499 KB, 500x281
>>345176332
>your parents
I miss them.
>>
I was part of the unfortunate 1st gen fuckers. Our parents thought that playing game would fuck you up, told us it would make our eyes go square, hid the controllers and cords when we weren't looking, took our games whenever we didn't behave, needed a lengthy explanation as to why you needed a Nintendo when you already owned a Nintendo etc.
>>
>>345176332
Considering my mom and grandma are the ones that got me addicted originally (they played first) it was strange how taking it away was a punishment since I've never really felt like I need it. My punishments would be over pretty fast because I would just find something else to do, like read a book, or go inside of my imagination land. I've never done anything bad that deserves punishment, Its just that sometimes I didn't to things correctly (I was following what was asked of me to the letter) and that didn't turn out well sometimes.
>>
>>345180859
you're going to be okay.
>>
>>345179775

boomers are / were shit parents and an awful generation that grew up with the pop culture boom and never truly became adults, which gave birth to a generation of children that became adults that are even more childish
>>
File: 1468452943219.jpg (16 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
1468452943219.jpg
16 KB, 400x449
When I was like 4-5 my mom thought I had a socialization disorder and since I only had 3 real friends she thought she could improve my socialization by buying me video games that all the older kids had.

Got a Sega GameGear first and then a NES, had like 70 used games for the GameGear, good times good times.

As I got older she would use her spending money on two things... video games for me and romance novels for her.

She used to play Atari games with me like RiverRaid.

I distinctly remember being 10 years old in the summer and playing a MLB All-Stars N64 game for like 6-8 hours a day every day, followed by dinner when she got home, then 2hours of baseball practice followed by 1hour of catch in the backyard with her.

It was a good balance between video games and physical activities.

She never let me play past 8pm then I turned 13 and she left me play til 1am. Then at 15 I was allowed to go to bed whenever I wanted.

My mom must've dropped $5,000 on video games for me before she passed away.
>>
File: 1459891520851.png (103 KB, 229x512) Image search: [Google]
1459891520851.png
103 KB, 229x512
>>345176332
Dad was a total bro who bought me all sorts of games and to this day watches me play stuff. Mom watched me play Ape Escape 3 for less than five minutes and sold most of my beloved GC games for weed money.
>"You need to stop wasting your time playing video games anon"
>"Alright, can you drive me to my friend's house?"
>"TOO BUSY WATCHING MUH SHOW AND POSTING ON MYSPACE I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT"
>Wonders why I have no desire for social interaction
>>
>>345180014
>cigs
i can play the same games for 500 hours so i get the value i pay
>>
>>345181342
Better to be a child then a man working like a drone til death ruins his mortal coil.

At least the child would enjoy his time to enjoy his life. While the other needlessly wastes his over numourous days/years in the workforce.
>>
Parents never cared about video games, they bought me more games than they probably should. We played them together all the time when I was a kid. I played games with my mom until the ps2 came out. My dad kept going up til the end of the ps3; just to play Tiger Woods games every year. That was a cool game to play with him up until college. Just a slow but skillful game.

Nowadays I tell them about the things I've been playing, when I see them, and they just like to hear me talking about the thing I love. Can't ask for much more than that.

My mom just started Pokemon Go for who knows why. Since I love a few blocks away it's nice to have a few beers and go on buzzed Pokemon hunts.
>>
>>345181449
your mom sounds cool as fuck, you were lucky. I know some people that we couldn't spend time at their house since their parents were cunts.
>>
File: 1439068789203.png (187 KB, 395x296) Image search: [Google]
1439068789203.png
187 KB, 395x296
>parents got you into video games
>never had a problem with it
>>
>>345181797
She was really good to me as far as mom's go I'd say, I was lucky...
>>
>>345177153
Get a job anon
>>
>>345178946
>gameFAQ roleplays
I don't even want to know
>>
File: image.png (85 KB, 294x258) Image search: [Google]
image.png
85 KB, 294x258
>>345176332
I did well in school so they didn't care that I never went outside.
>>
>>345176332

No, but my mom refused to buy me Dungeon Keeper 2 when I was 8 or 9. I had been playing M rated games for years, I guess the box creeped her out.
>>
>>345176332
Eh, mom never really cared. Usually I'd try to do creative things with them like frets on fire charts or Doom maps, which made her happy, even if she didn't like the game. Thinks I don't play enough "happy games" though
>>
>>345176332
not really. my parents have said a lot of things about how all i do is play games before. one time my me and my mom got in an argument and she actually said "you're a grown man still playing video games" and i never thought she'd say something like that, so i had to go and analyze that and tell her what she was actually saying. she says the dumbest fucking shit when she is mad, like she will just go all out. "i wish everybody in this house just died"
>>
Parents never cared as they knew I still did my school work and got good grades.
>>
>>345176332
My parents weren't mean and always bought me stuff when I asked and as long as I did my schoolwork.

But my mom had an annoying habit of selling my old consoles when I got a new one. I'd still have a Genesis and NES today if she didn't do that.
>>
>>345176332
My father was a faggot about it back then and he still kinda is
I remember he hiding my N64 controllers, so I couldn't play
Then I moved out with my mother
She gave me the vidya I needed
Then I moved back with my father
He hid my DS lite and I was salty as fuck for like 6 months, then I got it back plus a 3ds which I hid from him until I moved to another city by myself.
All this because I didn't have interest in sports, and since he cannot walk he projects that need on me I guess.
>>
My dad was alright, I guess. He complained when I chose an ps1 over the Sega Saturn for some reason. He'd be up at 8 at night playing half life online, and he used to bring home his friends from work sometimes. He always made me help his friends with their computers so they could have lan parties and every time I tried to get some rest, he'd send me to the store to get pretzels or some shit. My mom played silent hill, resident evil 2, and parasite eve with me when I was 14. They were both pretty chill, but my dad would smoke in the house which pissed me off because the smell would sad into my room. I still have vivid memories of playing resident evil 2 while having a fever from hell, my dad gave me a pear to eat for some reason and we had pot roast for dinner. Nearly got sick after that.
>>
>>345176332
My Dad got our family my first console. An Atari.

They're fine with it senpai
>>
>>345180014
At least when you're done with a video game, you still have it. What do you get after you're done with cigarettes? A bunch of ash.
>>
>middle school
>get As and B's
>Advanced classes
>Parents started limiting my play time to an hour a day

I got punished for doing everything I was supposed to do. That shit only lasted a couple years, but it still pisses me off sometimes
>>
My dad introduced my brother and I to Doom, Half Life and Diablo. And he bought a VooDoo graphics card when they were the shit and allowed us to play the computer he installed it on.

Needless to say, my dad was cool with us playing games, and my mom never really minded either. So long as we did chores and kept grades up.
>>
>>345176332
My parents think video games are the spawn of the devil and idle hands so yes. They never sold any of my shit, but they did set up retarded rules about only playing half an hour of video games for two days every week. Fast forward to now, and my cunt of a mother bitches all day about how I'm in my room all day. Well guess what? You're in the house all day, and all you do all day is watch TV. At least I'm engaging my mind instead of letting it rot in front of the tube. Actually there time limit rule I think contributed to my video game addiction.
>>
>>345187475
Would be cool to have parents who gave video games more than a sidelong glance. I can't imagine what it's like having family members who like them.
>>
>>345179483
>>345176882
Did she ever ask anything about your school or did she just automatically assume it was the video games?
>>
>>345187708
It's pretty nice actually. When my dad and I have our weekly call, inevitably we talk about video games that we've been playing.

Then there's my grandmother, who is an evangelist, she doesn't really approve much of what I do. So I kind of get both sides.
>>
>>345176332
Luckily no. I was bullied in school with nobody to talk to. I always got in trouble because other kids would start shit whenever I went outside, so I ended up staying inside. My school life followed me outside and vice versa.
In a way I guess I am, I find them very fun even to this day. Considering what my options were/are, I don't have much reason to quit.
>>
They didn't really mind as long as I managed school. My parents had too many issues themselves to care about me playing video games.
They really wanted me to do something else -- go out and play or hang out with other kid or play football; chase girls or maybe go to the cinema -- but I had no interest I such things. It's not like I could have since we lived in the middle of nowhere. When they weren't comlaining about my hobbies they were complaining about how today's kids always wants to be driven everywhere whilst subsequently wondering why didn't want to go anywhere.

I'm pretty sure they blamed video games for my issues, when they were merely the symptoms of it.
>>
She always minded.
I won't say she hated them, since she did actually buy me a Gameboy SP and a DS, but she never bought me any games for them our anything. I had a PS2 but she didnt buy me that.

She always blamed them for my failings in school though. The end of 8th grade, because I failed a couple classes, she broke my DS in half and gave my Wii and PS2 to stay at my uncles house. I only finally got them back the beginning of this year, while I was in my second year of college. I only had the Wii for 6 months before she took it away.

The absolute worst part about the Wii though is when I got it I actually started putting effort into school to keep it. I only played it after I finished all my homework, every single night. When I got my report card that term, everyone was telling me how much I improved and everything. Then she found a progress report from before then that I had hidden, and took the Wii away and wouldn't let me play it. Well after that with all motivation to do my homework and everything gone, on top of almost all my time and energy spent at home trying to sneak a play on the Wii while she was gone or sleeping, my grades went back to normal. Which eventually culminated in me falling those two classes at the end of the year, which led to the earlier thing about her getting all gaming devices out of the house completely.
>>
My parents got me into games as I began playing the N64 before I could even properly remember. Played Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox 64, and Pokemon Stadium religiously. The game consoles were, at first for my step-dad. But he never played it too much.
I got a lot of my Star Fox 64 tricks from him, like going through the arches in the first level to get to Sector Y and having it blow both of our minds that that's how we get to the other planets.
Then years later we find out you can destroy the train by flipping switches and fighting Andross' true form in a new path of Venom. Like I said, I didn't properly remember this stuff, but I did remember it being POSSIBLE, as we never had internet for quite some time before then.
Years later down the road when the GameBoy Advance finally came out I stopped playing Pokemon Red and Super Mario Land for Pokemon FireRed version. Then a while after during Christmas Time I got an Xbox with Blinx the Time Sweeper and that 2 in 1 game pack with Jet Set Radio Future and that one racing game. After even more time got a PS1 with Spyro, Crash Bash, and Tiny Tank.
At this point I was playing games so often that my parents thought I was getting too addicted, so they set me on a schedule where I was only allowed to play on the weekends, this way I can focus on school too.
My Step-Dad decided to bump it up a little bit as well with forcing me to go outside or forcing me to play sports. We lived next to a forest so going outside was fine, but the sports thing failed harder than ever. He sometimes threw the baseball directly at me if I didn't throw it right. That ended up making our relationship going into something like "Hey wanna play catch?" "No, you'll throw the ball at me."
Then there was the feud for a bit about my parents quitting cigs if I quit videogames. They always failed, and so I always continued.
Eventually they stopped caring, and I just got to play games whenever.
Especially since my mom and step-dad got a divorce.
>>
>>345176332
Weirdly enough my dad was actually the one who got me into games, even though he doesn't play them and knows only the most surface-level stuff about them. He's one of those guys who thinks he knows everything about everything. He's wrong a fair amount of the time of course, but it's honestly impressive how often he IS right, about stuff you wouldn't think he'd have the first idea about. I remember we used to go to the video rental place and he'd pick out games for me to try. Among his selection was Tomba, Heart of Darkness, Ico, Dark Cloud, and Okami.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.